May 2017 Moms

Pumping Questions

nda_roxybabenda_roxybabe member
edited March 2017 in May 2017 Moms
Pump and pumping related questions go here.

Pump up the jam. Pump it up.

Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry

Re: Pumping Questions

• What pumps are top on your list? Have you used them before, or are you trying something new this time?
  • @starphish18 Do you want me to add those questions to my original post so its front and center? 
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Loading the player...
  • Medela Symphony is my fav. Then the pump in style advanced aka pisa. I was not a fan of the spectra s2 but got it from insurance this time because people will buy it on my ep board and won't touch a pisa because it's not "hospital grade". The medela sonata is on sale at brus right now
  • @starphish18 Do you want me to add those questions to my original post so its front and center?

stuck in the box for the first time :(
    *shrug* If you think it makes sense to, but I'm fine whichever way. 
  • My super pumping friends have emphatically recommended the Spectra S2, so that is what I've requested from my insurance company. I've yet to order any spare parts or anything because I'm not really sure what I need?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I had the PISA last time (still works as far as I know) and bought the Freemie cups to use with it. Looks like the Spectra S2 is covered and I may switch to that and get whatever accessories I need to use the Freemie cups again. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Louise_Belcher So the Freemie is a good thing to get/ use?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I had/still have the PISA but I'm ordering the Spectra S2 because I've heard awesome things about it. I never had any issues with my PISA so I know I can always use that if needed. 

I'll be a SAHM so I don't need to use it daily or need lots of extra accessories. 

I do recommend multiple ice packs for those going back to work. Nothing sucks more than getting up the next morning and realizing you forgot to put the ice pack in the freezer overnight! Have back ups! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @nda_roxybabe I liked them especially for work even though I was in the mothers room with the door locked. You look like Madonna in a cone bra with them in, but I got to keep my clothes on and be covered up which was something I wanted. Some reviews I read complained that they didn't pump as much using them, but I didn't notice that (although I never had much of a supply to begin with). 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Used a Medela PIS and Symphony with my first. Ordered a Spectra 2 for this time around. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Adding a question: Were there parts you had to buy outside of what came with the pump? Do you need anything extra if you're pumping at work vs a SAHM?
  • Adding a question: Were there parts you had to buy outside of what came with the pump? Do you need anything extra if you're pumping at work vs a SAHM?
    The only extra parts I bought were extra bottles! And that was just so I didn't have to wash them every night. And of course the storage bags for the freezer! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • For work I like to have an extra set of everything. Leave one set of the membranes, horns etc. at home and one set is for going to the office. I also always kept a few sets of membranes at home for backup (Medela PISA) because they can tear, go missing, get loose etc. 

Also get the car adapter and keep in the bag, you never think you'll need it until suddenly you do. A battery pack is a good option as well if your pump supports it. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @nda_roxybabe I forgot to say that I also liked that I didn't need to wear or bring a special pumping bra or have an outfit on that opened in the front, which was useful for work as I do not wear button ups or tanks much in the office. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Looking at the spectra s1, same as the s2 but rechargable. Never used any pumps but sounded best from reviews and supposedly not as crazy loud.
    I EPd for the twins for 4 months and ended up with a ton of parts (like 7 sets  :# )  that is over kill though.  If you are only planning on occasional pumping I would stick with the basics along with a simple wishes pumping bra.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Looking at the spectra s1, same as the s2 but rechargable. Never used any pumps but sounded best from reviews and supposedly not as crazy loud.
    Yes, I got the two confused. I'm definitely looking into the S1 for the battery option. I'm a SAHM so I won't use the battery option a lot, but I can think of plenty of times when we were running to an event or traveling that I wanted a battery pack! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • edited March 2017
    Last time I had a Medela PISA and I recently picked up a brand new one for $10.  I'll be ordering a Spectra from insurance.  I spent so much time on my first PISA that I'm not convinced it is up to speed anymore.  I plan to keep one set up in my bedroom for the morning pre-work pump and the Spectra can travel with me.  I've heard good things about the Freemies so I think I'll try them out.  As others have said, I recommend a simple wishes bra, extra set of pump parts, medela cooler and ice pack (if you are using medela bottles), and some sort of car adapter (something like this worked for me and could be used for other things aside from just the pump:   https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-Inverter-110V-Ports/dp/B003Q54V88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488488046&sr=8-1&keywords=car+adapter+plug+in).

ETA: This is the extra set I kept in my desk for the PISA.  I ended up needing it a handful of times: https://www.amazon.com/Medela-Breast-Pump-Accessory-Set/dp/B00092A7E8/ref=sr_1_14_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1488488342&sr=1-14&keywords=medela+pump+parts

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • edited March 2017

I have the medela PISA from last time and I thought it worked just fine. Since insurance will give me a new pump with every baby I might try the spectra 2 this time since I'm hearing recommendations for it. I'm pretty excited to have 2 pumps so I can leave one at work and not have to lug it back and forth! I'm going to try out the freemie cups this time as well, they look like they would come in handy.

My suggestion is to get multiple sets of pump parts that way you can just wash them once a day and not several. I think I worked my way up to 4 sets which was good and I have probably 30 storage bottles. Like others have mentioned ask for a pump at the hospital and then take home all the parts! : ) if your buying extra parts for the medela, buy the 2 piece flange set, it's so much easier to clean than the 1 piece. (mine came with the 2 piece sets) Also, I bought 2 different kinds of storage bottles on purpose because the tops were different colors. This helped me organize the days I pumped the milk in the fridge.

At work I brought 1 clean set every day, pumped 2x and put the parts in the fridge between uses. I carried around extra bottles in my pump bag. In the morning before work I pumped while doing hair/makeup with my hands free bra on. The bra is a necessity.

• I have a question for you all.  Last time I didn't start pumping until DS was probably two, maybe three months  old because I didn't go back to work until DS was 7 months old.  This time, I am only going to get about four weeks between birth and starting chemo back up, at which point I will need to stop breastfeeding.  My hope is to pump as much as I can in those four weeks to continue giving the baby breast milk as long as possible, but I don't know a) when I can start pumping and getting a meaningful amount and b) how much I'll be able to get from one boob over four weeks.  Obviously I know everyone is different with how much they produce, but for those who started pumping to build up a work supply right away, when could you start and how much did you get in those first four weeks?
  • @RainyDays86 you can start pumping after feeds in the hospital 6 hours after birth
  • I see some women make washing pump parts their H's job. I'm going to try to make this happen, I dont think it will, but I'll certainly try! Obviously they cant go in the dishwasher? :/
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @RainyDays86 I started pumping right away (well maybe 10ish hours later) by day 3 I was getting 4oz.  

@nda_roxybabe I washed my parts in the dishwasher last time.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• chickyclg said:
    @nda_roxybabe I washed my parts in the dishwasher last time.
    I was going to say how this statement made me so happy and how it's just what every girl wants to hear. Then I realized how funny it was in a dirty sense and now I'm giggling.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I wrote this in the bag thread but get a pumping bra and bring it to the hospital!! You ever know why you might need to pump there and while they will give you the pump and flanges it's sooooo much better with a pumping bra so you can use your hands to eat or cover youself with a sheet or change the channel. 

I was was thinking about trying the freemie pump set but it has mixed reviews...maybe I'll just do the Spectra S2 based on what others have posted.  
  • @nda_roxybabe DH does most of our dishes so he washed most of our pump parts/ bottles.  I used the dishwasher a handful of times, but it seemed to mess with the membranes and it made my bottles cloudy.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • I am a creature of habit so I ordered the Medela PISA because that's what I used the previous 2 times and it's worked well for me. I'm a SAHM so I only pump 1-2x per day. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I'm a SAHM so I would like to build a small stash for when we have a babysitter or what not, but I also know there is the possibility of a cross-country move on the horizon (January at the earliest). Any suggestions on transporting a frozen supply of milk over a 3-4 day drive? I have a deep freezer so I foresee most of my milk going in there, but now I'm not even sure if it's worth it to build a supply if I can't take it with me eventually... 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • hp_momma said:
    I'm a SAHM so I would like to build a small stash for when we have a babysitter or what not, but I also know there is the possibility of a cross-country move on the horizon (January at the earliest). Any suggestions on transporting a frozen supply of milk over a 3-4 day drive? I have a deep freezer so I foresee most of my milk going in there, but now I'm not even sure if it's worth it to build a supply if I can't take it with me eventually... 
    Maybe the deep freeze and lots of dry ice? We hauled a deep freeze full of meat on a 2-day cross country drive.  I can't remember what the re-freezing allowance is for breast milk.  Isn't it re-freezable so long as  it has ice crystals?

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @hp_momma all I can say is don't ship it. My friends ETS'd and she overnighted hers on dry ice and it didn't get there "overnight" she ultimately got some money for her loss, but no amount of money is worth all the milk she lost.
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I think I'll have to research some dry ice methods as that might be the best method. We always have the military move us though so they would actually be hauling our deep freezer so I guess I would need some sort of cooler. My concern is we also will probably end up in temp. Lodging/hotel for an unspecified time if we haven't secured a house before hand.. 

@bacorrea  What a nightmare! Your right, no reimbursement can rebuild your stash! 

I just may not be able to have the stash I would like :confused:
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • clebl24 said:
    Adding a question: Were there parts you had to buy outside of what came with the pump? Do you need anything extra if you're pumping at work vs a SAHM?
    I highly recommend a hands free pumping bra.  
    Do pumping bras work with any pump?
  • Third time around and still figuring it out. WIth my last I killed myself pumping. Once I got home from the hospital I would feed and then pump an hour later and then feed an hour after that again. It was amazing in getting my supply up. But it killed me physically. Assuming this guy has no NICU time what's the best pumping schedule? Once in the motn? Or a few times a day to start?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mamatowildines I think I started pumping when DS was about 5 weeks. Just once in the am after his first morning nursing session. I built up a decent stash by the time I went back to work at 13 weeks.