July 2017 Moms
Options

PSA: Sargento cheese recall

Just wanted to make sure you guys are aware of this - 

https://info.sargento.com/?gclid=CKiJ4LOFiNICFYeKswodMEIMpQ

Sounds like it's specifically the Longhorn Colby cheese and some of the shredded cheese mixes, but personally, I threw out our sargento cheddar just to be safe :(

Re: PSA: Sargento cheese recall

• Options
    Oh man. Glad I went for generic for lasagna last night!
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    Aaahhh I like their ricotta for my eggplant rollatini  for guests now what ?!

edit. No it wasn't Sargento I like sorrento lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I heard this I immediately looked through our cheese drawer. We only have Sargento string cheese, the rest are Kraft and Tillamook. I'm still weary about the string cheese though, even though it's not listed. 
  • Options
    Now expanded to a lot more brands  :/

"A variety of cheese brands are involved, including Sargento, Sara Lee, Saputo, Dutch Valley and Guggisberg, as well as a variety of store-branded products sold by Meijer, Albertsons, H-E-B and other retailers."

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2017/02/another-130-cheese-products-recalled-for-listeria-fda-gagged/#.WKzyKRS_d75
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ughhhhhhhhhhhh NO! We got American Cheese from the supermarket deli on Sunday. If I melted it in the toaster, do you think it is ok? Do you get listeria right away? (This is probably such a FTM question.)

ETA I don't know what brand it was, but I know the store sells Dietz and Watson. 
  • Options
    Listeria can take up to 60 days for symptoms/effects. I would toss it just to be safe. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @PurplePumpernickel that link says it can take up to 70 days for symptoms to develop. When I asked my doctor about listeria when I had eaten Sabra hummus a few months ago, he said symptoms most likely would have started right away. I think if you melted it, it should be okay, but I would avoid it if it's on the list of recalled products. 
  • Options
    Thanks @dancegurl1118 and @kat0607. I had one sandwich with two slices (fully melted) on Sunday, with no symptoms. Of course, the cheese is totally gone now (hungry hungry husband!) I'll be making sure to avoid those companies over the next little while!