June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• arteduc8 said:
    Working Mamas, how often and how much are you pumping/nursing now? 
    I'm trying to figure out when I can cut back to one pump at work. 
    Right now, I pump one side first thing in the morning and then nurse her on the other. That pumped bottle is usually 5 ounces. And she gets it at the next feeding. 
    At work I pump twice, getting 9-10 ounces total (2 bottles for the next day)
    I nurse her when we get home between 3:30-4:30 and again before bed. She doesn't wake up in the motn.
    So she's getting 6 feedings a day. We're working on solids now which she gets dinner and we starting to add in lunch. 

I guess the other thing is I'm at a loss about solids. How much are your little ones eating a day? How often? 
    Miles still takes 2 bottles with 6 ounces each at my mother's during the day (he's there from 8 until 5:30). He gets fed around 7 before we go over there, and then as soon as I get home with him around 6. He eats right before bed and usually once overnight too (sometimes twice, he's still a little butt about sleep). He gets lunch and dinner with BLW and usually an afternoon snack of puffs or teething biscuits. Breakfast on the weekends and on Tuesdays when I work from home. My ped suggested keeping up his bottles with the same amount until his 9 month appointment, and then we would talk about gradually scaling back the bottles and switching him over entirely to water/cows milk during the day. She has no concerns about how much I breastfeed and said I can let him eat however much he wants there for as many months as I feel like it.

As for the pumping, my pumping has completely sucked and I've given up on stressing myself about it. I pump twice a day now and maybe end up with 8 ounces. One of Miles's daytime bottles is formula, which was suggested a couple months back by my ped because I apparently produce skim milk all the way. When we made that switch I dropped my third pump because why bother? 
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • arteduc8 said:
    Right now, I pump one side first thing in the morning and then nurse her on the other. That pumped bottle is usually 5 ounces. And she gets it at the next feeding. 
    I nurse her when we get home between 3:30-4:30 and again before bed. She doesn't wake up in the motn.
    So she's getting 6 feedings a day. We're working on solids now which she gets dinner and we starting to add in lunch. 

I guess the other thing is I'm at a loss about solids. How much are your little ones eating a day? How often? 
    I pump 3 times at work, around 9, noon, and 3 pm and usually get around 9-11 oz total, and we nurse frequently during the evening and overnight, and one last time at 6 am before I leave. (I think LO is a snacker.)
    For solids, right now we're just doing cereal price or oatmeal), fruits & veggies. I need to look up if we should be moving on to other food.
  • Loading the player...
  • arteduc8 said:

I pump a total of 4 times a day, or essentially once for every bottle Tristan eats in a day.  I pump twice while I am at work, once around 10am and then again at around 3.  I pump between 16-20 ounces at work.  I am thinking of cutting out one of my pumps at work since I am still producing more than enough to cover for his bottles the next day.  Tristan currently takes 4-5 6.5 ounce bottles a day.  For solids we do cereal with breast milk in the morning, a puree for lunch, a different puree or yogurt for dinner and puffs for snacks and a few with dinner.  We have also introduced water in the sippy cup.  He has this with his solids.  I try to limit his water and solids intake to somewhere between 4-5 ounces.  I have found if I give him more than that he doesn't drink as much of his bottles and those are still the most important.
  • arteduc8 said:

STUCK IN THE BOX..

Jack has stopped nursing all together so I am pumping ALOT. I pump before work at about 6:45, at work I pump at 9, 11:30, 2 and 4:30.. Once I get home I try to pump while hes eating dinner at about 7, then before I go to bed usually about 10. Then I wake up at about 2-3am to pump. To say my nipples are sore would be an under statement. I wish so bad that he was still nursing but he just has no interest. He also eating 4 7oz bottles while I am at work and usually about 8oz before bed.  :o
  • bankssl1 said:
    arteduc8 said:

STUCK IN THE BOX..

Jack has stopped nursing all together so I am pumping ALOT. I pump before work at about 6:45, at work I pump at 9, 11:30, 2 and 4:30.. Once I get home I try to pump while hes eating dinner at about 7, then before I go to bed usually about 10. Then I wake up at about 2-3am to pump. To say my nipples are sore would be an under statement. I wish so bad that he was still nursing but he just has no interest. He also eating 4 7oz bottles while I am at work and usually about 8oz before bed.  :o
    Wow momma good for you! I can't say that I would have that determintion if Savannah stopped nursing. You should be very proud of yourself!! And should by yourself something nice to celebrate that accomplishment ;)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • bankssl1 said:
    arteduc8 said:

STUCK IN THE BOX..

Wow momma good for you! I can't say that I would have that determintion if Savannah stopped nursing. You should be very proud of yourself!! And should by yourself something nice to celebrate that accomplishment ;)
    Awe, thank you! That really made my day! 
  • Awesome news @lac1252!!

I apologize in advance to all ladies having supply issues for my rant/question below.

Is anyone else still getting engorged ever?  The last two days have been super uncomfortable and I have no idea why I am producing like this.  I pump four times a day about 5.5 hours apart, and not at night.  My boobs seriously woke me up at 3am, hard and tight.  They are producing more milk too!  I'm frustrated because I have been thinking of cutting out a pump during the day but I don't want to give myself mastitis either..  I'm not sure what to do
  • egirl1025 said:
    Awesome news @lac1252!!

I apologize in advance to all ladies having supply issues for my rant/question below.

Is anyone else still getting engorged ever?  The last two days have been super uncomfortable and I have no idea why I am producing like this.  I pump four times a day about 5.5 hours apart, and not at night.  My boobs seriously woke me up at 3am, hard and tight.  They are producing more milk too!  I'm frustrated because I have been thinking of cutting out a pump during the day but I don't want to give myself mastitis either..  I'm not sure what to do
    Do a half pump if you make more than enough.  Basically stop when you have what you need.  It's all about supply and demand so if don't fully empty the breast then your supply will reduce but you can still relieve the pressure of engorgement.
  • lac1252 said:
    So I got back from Amsterdam and my supply seems ok! I'm not pumping quite as much as I did but nursing sessions have been good. Actually amazing bc Charlotte was so happy after the first session Saturday morning. She resisted a little at first after a week's worth of bottles but then she latched on for a long time. And when she finished she lay back with the biggest smile on her face. It was adorable and I may have cried a little.

I've been drinking lots of mother's milk tea and made some lactation cookies over the weekend and am seeing a bit of an improvement.

I also have to say I was so lucky to have the best seat mates next to me on my flight back from London. It was a completely packed flight with a 3 hour delay in which we sat on the tarmac followed by a 7-hour flight. The only places to pump were my seat or the bathroom so I stayed in my seat and told each of the women next to me what I was doing and hope they wouldn't mind. One said she'd been there year's before and pumped in so many odd places so of course had no problem and the other asked if I needed her to hold anything for me. I know that this shouldn't be a big deal but to be in public and have it be so accepted just makes you feel so much better and comfortable about it. Also big shout out to European airports and their family/child care rooms. They had these private places everywhere and made it so easy to pump in the airport.
    That's wonderful!!! You also just made me feel so much better about my upcoming trip!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • How long is everyone planning to breastfeed for? My plan has always been a year (at least being 100% done by the time I go back to work on September 1st).

I find myself half so excited for it to be over, to not have to think about pumping, hopefully have my appetite decrease, etc. The other half of me is so sad that it's coming to an end soon.

Anyone else?

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • How long is everyone planning to breastfeed for? My plan has always been a year (at least being 100% done by the time I go back to work on September 1st).

I find myself half so excited for it to be over, to not have to think about pumping, hopefully have my appetite decrease, etc. The other half of me is so sad that it's coming to an end soon.

Anyone else?

Yes! Some days I wish I didn't have to breastfeed Jackie and once I start back at work it'll be worse. Then again, I love not having to think about how much I'm eating. I've even thought of donating milk once Jackie cuts back enough to not need it as much. My goal is a year, but I'll probably reassess then. It'd be nice to have my hormones back to normal.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Anyone else?

I am done done done done with pumping at a year. Done. However, you can stop daytime feedings and still feed at morning and night, which is what I hope I can do. I love knowing that I can basically provide a complete nutrition drink on days that he's a super picky eater. And the whole eating ice cream at 2 pm and not feeling guilty thing
  • I think I may wind up nursing longer than a year, maybe just morning and night? I agree about being done pumping at 1 though, I can't wait! I never thought I would want to go longer than a year, but it's so special I can't imagine stopping so soon. I guess I will try to follow Savannah's lead.

I also worry that she may stop wanting to nurse after this 5 day trip to Paris when she's 11 months. I seriously hope that's not the case though, I would be devastated! Although @lac1252's recent trip gives me hope!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Since Jack stopped nursing at about 7 months and I've been exclusively pumping since then.. I'm DONE at a year. So done. Plus.. I have enough frozen milk to last a few months after I'm done so that makes me feel a little bit better. 
  • bankssl1 said:
    Since Jack stopped nursing at about 7 months and I've been exclusively pumping since then.. I'm DONE at a year. So done. Plus.. I have enough frozen milk to last a few months after I'm done so that makes me feel a little bit better. 
    Totally understandable! If Savannah weren't nursing I would try to push myself to a year but don't even know if I would make it. Pumping takes all of the convenience out of breastfeeding!

I so respect all of you EP mamas!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I hope to be done by a year but I anticipate weaning to take a while. Definitely want to be completely done by 18 months. I only pump once a day (I stay home), but I cannot wait to be done pumping!!

Anyone else?

I was planning to bf until I went back to work (11 months) but as he won't take a bottle/cup/anything else I'm pretty much stuck until he's had enough of it. Who knows how he will get on at nursery if he won't take a bottle - any advice anyone? 

Sometimes I feel excited to be able to do things on a whim by myself but I think I'll miss the bond.
  • kay12321 said:
    How long is everyone planning to breastfeed for? My plan has always been a year (at least being 100% done by the time I go back to work on September 1st).

Anyone else?

I was planning to bf until I went back to work (11 months) but as he won't take a bottle/cup/anything else I'm pretty much stuck until he's had enough of it. Who knows how he will get on at nursery if he won't take a bottle - any advice anyone? 

Sometimes I feel excited to be able to do things on a whim by myself but I think I'll miss the bond.
    What have you tried so far. When we intro-ed the bottle to Jackie we had to do the bait and switch with a boob and more recently she learned how to drink from a straw, so she uses one of those style sippy cups for water.
  • meggyme said:
    kay12321 said:
    How long is everyone planning to breastfeed for? My plan has always been a year (at least being 100% done by the time I go back to work on September 1st).

Anyone else?

What have you tried so far. When we intro-ed the bottle to Jackie we had to do the bait and switch with a boob and more recently she learned how to drink from a straw, so she uses one of those style sippy cups for water.
    I don't know if you have an equivalent in the US but a magic munchkin 360 cup, a sippy cup, a doidy cup, a baby sized cup (looks a bit like a shot glass). Hadn't thought of a straw though I'll give that a whirl thank you kindly :smile:
  • kay12321 said:
    meggyme said:
    kay12321 said:

Anyone else?

I don't know if you have an equivalent in the US but a magic munchkin 360 cup, a sippy cup, a doidy cup, a baby sized cup (looks a bit like a shot glass). Hadn't thought of a straw though I'll give that a whirl thank you kindly :smile:
    It takes a little training. I got a handful of straws and started filing them by holding my finger on the end and letting her suck on it before letting go. Once she figured out how to use a regular straw she was able to figure out the no spill straw on her munchkin straw cup. Jackie figured it out in a couple days.
  • Reached a new level of cute/creepy this weekend. Miles has started crawling into my lap and pulling my shirt down himself to eat. I had a scoop neck shirt on Sunday and he managed to pull up to his knees next to me and then get my shirt and bra down far enough to eat me while I was sitting on the floor. I was impressed while also realizing that high neck tops in public are now probably required
  • Reached a new level of cute/creepy this weekend. Miles has started crawling into my lap and pulling my shirt down himself to eat. I had a scoop neck shirt on Sunday and he managed to pull up to his knees next to me and then get my shirt and bra down far enough to eat me while I was sitting on the floor. I was impressed while also realizing that high neck tops in public are now probably required
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    I also just realized that I said 'eat me' and not 'eat from me' and my face hurts from the level of red embarrassment. Oh sweet jeeze that's just not ok
  • I sort of miss the days of feeling engorged. I know my body is just regulated to what Savannah needs, but the engorgement was really reassuring that she was getting enough milk.

Anyone else?

I just had a really bad pumping session so I think I'm feeling a little defeated today :|
    Agreed, I've been having a lot more difficulty pumping at work in the last few weeks (went on vacation for a week without LO, she started STTN, then I got a cold and my period, so my supply really dropped I think).  I wish I knew for sure that she was getting enough, the dr is always concerned about her weight when we go in for appts.  I notice myself focusing a lot on how many ounces I am getting, which really stresses me out, so if my anxiety around it gets much worse I'm going to have to just stop nursing/pumping and save myself the tears (I had a really tough time with DS two years ago, and I've already surpassed my 6m goal this time around).
  • arteduc8 said:

I am still pumping 2x at work (and she takes 3 bottles while I'm away), I get about 4oz each time and she's taking 5oz bottles so we've been supplementing with formula to make up the difference.  I nurse her when she wakes up and before bed (she now sttn), so she's eating 5x/day.

Because the dr is concerned about her weight gain, she's also eating 3 solid meals/day now about 4-5oz of purees each meal.  We just feed her at the same time as DS eats, so at regular mealtimes.  She has no teeth yet so I'm hesitant to change the consistency of her food but I guess I need to do that soon.

Anyone else?

My goal was 6m so I consider this bonus time with LO, but I don't know how long I'll go now that I've passed that marker.  She's my last baby so I think I'm feeling conflicted about stopping because that means I will never breastfeed ever again.
  • I sort of miss the days of feeling engorged. I know my body is just regulated to what Savannah needs, but the engorgement was really reassuring that she was getting enough milk.

Anyone else?

I just had a really bad pumping session so I think I'm feeling a little defeated today :|
    Agreed, I've been having a lot more difficulty pumping at work in the last few weeks (went on vacation for a week without LO, she started STTN, then I got a cold and my period, so my supply really dropped I think).  I wish I knew for sure that she was getting enough, the dr is always concerned about her weight when we go in for appts.  I notice myself focusing a lot on how many ounces I am getting, which really stresses me out, so if my anxiety around it gets much worse I'm going to have to just stop nursing/pumping and save myself the tears (I had a really tough time with DS two years ago, and I've already surpassed my 6m goal this time around).
    I'm having a hard time too. I have pumped 3x today and only gotten about 10.5oz. She eats 12oz a day at daycare. It is really stressing me out! I'm due to get my period any day so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.

I set my goal at a year and am so hard on myself at the thought of not making it which is ridiculous.

I never realized this would be such an emotional journey!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    I also just realized that I said 'eat me' and not 'eat from me' and my face hurts from the level of red embarrassment. Oh sweet jeeze that's just not ok
    But that was the best part!! :D
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I just had the worst pumping session ever.  Since our vacation the first week of Feb, I've been getting less when I pump (usually around 4oz/session).  This morning I got 2oz (usually I get 3 just from one side), and I cried.  I think I need to stop pumping, because the stress is really getting to me.  But if I stop pumping, and want to keep nursing morning/night, how do I know that LO is getting enough?  Will my supply drop overall?
  • I just had the worst pumping session ever.  Since our vacation the first week of Feb, I've been getting less when I pump (usually around 4oz/session).  This morning I got 2oz (usually I get 3 just from one side), and I cried.  I think I need to stop pumping, because the stress is really getting to me.  But if I stop pumping, and want to keep nursing morning/night, how do I know that LO is getting enough?  Will my supply drop overall?
    I totally feel you, my milk supply stresses me so much. My suggestions if you don't want to give up yet-

-Drink lots of water & gatorade
    -Eat oatmeal for breakfast
    -Take your PNV
    -Keep pumping, pump even more than usual
    -Make lactation cookies- I add brewers yeast and flax seed to the Betty Crocker oatmeal chocolate chip mix with a little extra butter and a table spoon of water

If you want to stop pumping than my understanding is if you just feed her morning and night, your body will just produce morning and night. But I would definitely pay close attention to the amount of wet diapers just in case!

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    I totally feel you, my milk supply stresses me so much. My suggestions if you don't want to give up yet-

-Take your PNV
    -Make lactation cookies- I add brewers yeast and flax seed to the Betty Crocker oatmeal chocolate chip mix with a little extra butter and a table spoon of water

If you want to stop pumping than my understanding is if you just feed her morning and night, your body will just produce morning and night. But I would definitely pay close attention to the amount of wet diapers just in case!

Thanks! I'm drinking the mother's tea now at work and upping my water intake.  I had a little lightbulb moment a few minutes ago, though - I must be getting my period again soon, that usually gives my supply a dip.  So hopefully that's what it is and it will bounce back after.  But in the meantime I am trying to do what I can to bring it back up.

-Take your PNV

Thanks! I'm drinking the mother's tea now at work and upping my water intake.  I had a little lightbulb moment a few minutes ago, though - I must be getting my period again soon, that usually gives my supply a dip.  So hopefully that's what it is and it will bounce back after.  But in the meantime I am trying to do what I can to bring it back up.
    My period always does that.

Also, if you're done pumping let yourself off the hook! No judgement here! I just know myself and that I really want to make a year so when I get upset about my supply and want to just give up I try to push harder instead of get down on myself.

Sometimes you just need some encouragement from someone who has been there and who understands.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Now I just had the worst pumping session ever.  I just sat for 10 minutes using the highest setting on my almost hospital-grade pump (Spectra S2) and couldn't get a letdown, so I got NOTHING (well, just enough to dirty the bottles and pieces, but not enough to save).  I am going to try to wean off pumping and see if I can keep nursing morning/night, I can't deal with the stress of pumping.  I am literally fighting back tears at my desk, this is not healthy.  :'(
  • artlea2013artlea2013 member
    edited March 2017
    Now I just had the worst pumping session ever.  I just sat for 10 minutes using the highest setting on my almost hospital-grade pump (Spectra S2) and couldn't get a letdown, so I got NOTHING (well, just enough to dirty the bottles and pieces, but not enough to save).  I am going to try to wean off pumping and see if I can keep nursing morning/night, I can't deal with the stress of pumping.  I am literally fighting back tears at my desk, this is not healthy.  :'(
    Oh mamma, it happens. I'm so sorry that you are being forced to stop, that's a rough way to go out. You have to do what's best for you too, and breastfeeding some of the time is still stupendous! And who knows, dropping a pumping session may actually build up a reserve that you can pump and train your breasts towards so that you can at least give some breast milk.

From my own experience, I felt such a huge relief when I dropped a pump. Not being beholden to a certain number, because I could fill out with formula, made when I do pump a lot less stressful, even the sessions sometimes where I only get 2.5 ounces combined after 20 minutes
  • Lately Jackie has been biting, not just when she's done and playing around but right off the bat when I'm trying to latch her on. It super annoying (and painful). I feel like it was in the very beginning where I had to watch her latch very closely, only now it's to see if she's feeling like a suckerfish or a shark.
  • meggyme said:
    Lately Jackie has been biting, not just when she's done and playing around but right off the bat when I'm trying to latch her on. It super annoying (and painful). I feel like it was in the very beginning where I had to watch her latch very closely, only now it's to see if she's feeling like a suckerfish or a shark.
    Preston has started doing this too.  I have to be sure he is hungry otherwise I get chomped on.  And he bites and pulls!! OW!  
  • I think I may wind up nursing longer than a year, maybe just morning and night? I agree about being done pumping at 1 though, I can't wait! I never thought I would want to go longer than a year, but it's so special I can't imagine stopping so soon. I guess I will try to follow Savannah's lead.

I also worry that she may stop wanting to nurse after this 5 day trip to Paris when she's 11 months. I seriously hope that's not the case though, I would be devastated! Although @lac1252's recent trip gives me hope!
    I totally agree about finding the feedings to be so special now. I completely hate pumping but I'm also starting to consider morning and night feedings after a year. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

I hope you have the same experience I did when traveling but if not, that's ok too. I totally prepared myself for the possibility that I might not be able to still nurse Charlotte once I got back. What we've been doing these last 9 months is so hard, and it really is ok no matter when we have to stop nursing our babies.

Also, sorry for being MIA for awhile. Work has been incredibly stressful lately and there have been so many changes at my company that I've been looking for a new job and I got an offer last week and resigned from my company! I'm so excited for the new job and bc it means I will get the next 2 weeks off and more time with Charlotte before starting!