July 2017 Moms

Big Dumb Q's Thread 2/17/17

A place for all your stupid questions to be answered by the safety of internet strangers.

Hubby and Me
Friends since 2008
Started dating: July 1st, 2013
Engaged: July 1st, 2014
Married: July 1st, 2016
R born: July 8th, 2017
N born: June 30th, 2019
Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
(maybe I only ovulate in October XD)

Re: Big Dumb Q's Thread 2/17/17

• I started this cause I have a dumb question today, and it didn't quite seem appropriate to put it anywhere else. I went to find the old one, but it was bumped down. Anyways, on to the stupidity!

My boobs are outgrowing my winter coats/vests. Not my bump. My boobs. Basically they are getting squished in too far, and the nipples rub really hard/are squished against the outside, and it is not comfortable. I don't have too much time left in my climate for cold weather. Within a month I should be able to just wear hoodies and get by. My question is, should I wait it out, or should I get some kind of vest type thing to add extra padding? Are they going to keep growing in the next month and actually make it impossible to wear my coats/vests? And the dumbest question, am I going to do more than just making myself uncomfortable/slightly in pain if I keep squishing in (AKA affect later milk supply, block a duct, somehow damage my ability to breastfeed)? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerlis do you have a Goodwill or Salvation Army close by? You could get something for super cheap and then just donate it back. Otherwise, I'd just layer sweaters and scarves under an open (or partially open) coat.
  • Loading the player...
  • @kerils I agree with @PurplePumpernickel about layering and wearing the coat open, since you don't have much "winter" left. I'm in the same boat, as this season I bought a nice, fitted NorthFace puffer coat that I am now almost busting out of. What I usually do is layer a thicker cardigan underneath, wear a scarf, and if I'm walking (like from the bus stop to the office) I just hold the front closed with my hand. If it were the beginning of winter I would say go ahead and buy a new coat, but I think you're better off just making-do until the weather warms up a little bit.
  • @kerils I wouldn't worry about milk supply yet.  When my milk did come in last time, wearing something's tight actually made me more comfortable, although the sore nipples were definitely an issue.  If you find that being your biggest problem look at wearing some nipple pads.  It's  a nice extra bit of padding.  I am also in the same boat with my coats not doing up, I just wear a hoodie underneath and rock it opens.  I wouldn't worrying about investing in a new jacket.
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• @kerils I am in a similar situation hence my username lol. My plan is to borrow a coat from DH. He has an old one he doesn't wear. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a bit confused now, does milk supply just leak out before baby? Is there something I don't know please prepare me! 

@kerils don't buy a coat. It's not even that cold anymore and it's going to get better (your in PA right?) 

i have two super warm mohair sweaters I got from hm they are the warmest. I wear those and keep my coat open on days I have to go out when it's cold. 
  • @BusyZee Yeah I'm in PA. I'm hoping this warm weather sticks around! And it's not milk, but I've been leaking very small amounts of colostrum since like 14 weeks, so I know my breasts are producing something. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    Ohh really ?! I feel left out. I'm super confused. Can you actually pump and save it? Or will that cause contractions. I don't know anything about this !!
  • Well they say don't pump early because it could cause labor/early contractions. Also, I really doubt it's enough to pump. I didn't know you could even pump colostrum anyways. It's not the full milk, it's just that pre-stuff. It seriously is so small that it's just a small white/yellow dried spot on my breasts. And it's not there all the time. I think I'm actually pretty early on the leaky boobs thing, and a lot of women never have it until after birth. My breasts decided to jump the gun a little. They must be planners and not procrastinators like me lol. Getting ready way too freaking early. I mostly asked about the squishing cause I've heard not to wear underwire when breastfeeding cause it can cause problems, and wondered if it would cross over at all. I don't even wear bras... oh heck maybe that's why I noticed it so early?? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • I either wear stick on bras because they just look better on me or underwired ones. I can't imagine life without underwired bras I wonder what il do. @kerils
    I rem @CarsonsMommy mentioning it was okay so il just believe what suits me lol 
  • Don't start pumping this early! It won't do you any good anyway. Your milk changes as baby gets older and colostrum is only for when they're very newly born. Pumping this early can cause labor and contractions. 
  • If it stays cold and you need to close your coat, I read somewhere about coat extenders for zip up coats. I'm having the same problem that my boobs have outgrown my nice wool coat first, but luckily my down coat is bigger and is still fine. 
  • @kerils I would layer a sweater and scarf over the open jacket. 

@BusyZee I know it was answered, but yes, it's a bad idea to try pumping this early. Wait till baby comes, your colostrum will be just right for your newborn when they arrive. Too much nipple stimulation can cause early labor, and quite  honestly, pumping sucks. Don't start the torture earlier than necessary. 
  • I wouldn't pump right now keeping that in mind but I had no idea you could leak colostrum at this stage of pregnancy so I think I got a bit carried away there lol

I just read some women pump a bit before their due date to "save" the colostrum for when the baby comes. I had no idea about that either and would that be safe?
  • BusyZee said:
    I wouldn't pump right now keeping that in mind but I had no idea you could leak colostrum at this stage of pregnancy so I think I got a bit carried away there lol

I just read some women pump a bit before their due date to "save" the colostrum for when the baby comes. I had no idea about that either and would that be safe?
    NO.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • BusyZee said:
    I wouldn't pump right now keeping that in mind but I had no idea you could leak colostrum at this stage of pregnancy so I think I got a bit carried away there lol

Why on earth would you do this anyway? If you are going to breastfeed, that initial bonding is essential. And if you aren't, why would you not just pump at the hospital after your baby is born?
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• BusyZee said:

Yes some women do leak a little colostrum before baby arrives (I'm not one of them and don't know any of them personally). 

Is it safe to pump colostrum before baby arrives? No, just because it could cause contractions and even early labor, and no one wants to have a premature birth just because they wanted to "stock up" colostrum for baby's arrival. Bad idea. Having baby nurse from the body to pull out those first drops of colostrum will tell your body that it needs to start making milk, so let the baby do the work if at all possible. 

Hopefully that makes sense! 
  • BusyZee said:

Why on earth would you do this anyway? If you are going to breastfeed, that initial bonding is essential. And if you aren't, why would you not just pump at the hospital after your baby is born?
    This. I am terrified to pump lol definitely not doing it before I have a reason to. 

Also, doesn't your colostrum change based on what your baby needs. Not sure how that voodoo magic works lol So what little you are producing now probably isn't what will be needed come July. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • BusyZee said:

Honestly, I don't know myself, il send the link if your interested but I was a bit surprised reading that which is why I'm asking. I did know it causes contractions but didn't think you needed to stock up on colostrum to "save" it.
  • Rae1 said:
    BusyZee said:

This. I am terrified to pump lol definitely not doing it before I have a reason to. 

Also, doesn't your colostrum change based on what your baby needs. Not sure how that voodoo magic works lol So what little you are producing now probably isn't what will be needed come July. 
    Yes, every drop of liquid that comes from your breasts is formulated for your baby at THAT stage (my friend is going to school to be an LC and I edit all of her work haha). The maternal clock is freaking amazing! 

So you definitely want those first drops of colostrum to go right into baby's system the day baby is actually born. The colostrum slowly turns to milk those first few days, giving baby exactly what they need to keep their belly full until the milk comes in completely. Pumping early total screws up the body, from what I hear. 
  • Ok, I have a DQ. When my son was born, after the initial small amounts of colostrum there was copious amounts of dark yellow milk, like 5 ounces each boob AFTER each nursing session. Is this still considered colostrum or is it transitional milk? I felt so sad that I had to throw it away, my son turned out to be allergic to cows milk.
  • Ok, I have a DQ. When my son was born, after the initial small amounts of colostrum there was copious amounts of dark yellow milk, like 5 ounces each boob AFTER each nursing session. Is this still considered colostrum or is it transitional milk? I felt so sad that I had to throw it away, my son turned out to be allergic to cows milk.
    You got 5 oz from each boob during the first few days?!?! That is insane (and awesome). If it was during the first few days, then it was most likely still colostrum, but closer to day 5, it was probably just hind milk (which is darker than the milky white color of regular milk). They sell milk saving bags that catch any extra milk you would otherwise lose! 
  • mrscate88 said:
    Ok, I have a DQ. When my son was born, after the initial small amounts of colostrum there was copious amounts of dark yellow milk, like 5 ounces each boob AFTER each nursing session. Is this still considered colostrum or is it transitional milk? I felt so sad that I had to throw it away, my son turned out to be allergic to cows milk.
    You got 5 oz from each boob during the first few days?!?! That is insane (and awesome). If it was during the first few days, then it was most likely still colostrum, but closer to day 5, it was probably just hind milk (which is darker than the milky white color of regular milk). They sell milk saving bags that catch any extra milk you would otherwise lose! 
    Yeah after the first week or two, it was never that color again. It was cool to make that much, but at the sametime, I have pcos, so I overproduced. Poor kid got choked out so many times. But he would scream in pain and we were told by his pediatrician that it was "just colic". Mommy instincts said different, so I cut dairy out of my diet and he was suddenly alot happier. So all the milk I had saved in the medela bags basically went to waste :( I cried.
  • mrscate88 said:
    Ok, I have a DQ. When my son was born, after the initial small amounts of colostrum there was copious amounts of dark yellow milk, like 5 ounces each boob AFTER each nursing session. Is this still considered colostrum or is it transitional milk? I felt so sad that I had to throw it away, my son turned out to be allergic to cows milk.
    Yeah after the first week or two, it was never that color again. It was cool to make that much, but at the sametime, I have pcos, so I overproduced. Poor kid got choked out so many times. But he would scream in pain and we were told by his pediatrician that it was "just colic". Mommy instincts said different, so I cut dairy out of my diet and he was suddenly alot happier. So all the milk I had saved in the medela bags basically went to waste :( I cried.
    Oh that's brutal, I know the feeling and I'm sorry. I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the problem on your own though! For next time, you can join a donation group and donate any extra milk to a baby in need who doesn't have sensitivities.  
  • Oh that's brutal, I know the feeling and I'm sorry. I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the problem on your own though! For next time, you can join a donation group and donate any extra milk to a baby in need who doesn't have sensitivities.  
    I thought about that but the color was so wierd!!! Kaiser accepted donor milk mostly for their preemie babies, but they had certain criteria that I'd have to meet.
  • Oh that's brutal, I know the feeling and I'm sorry. I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the problem on your own though! For next time, you can join a donation group and donate any extra milk to a baby in need who doesn't have sensitivities.  
    I thought about that but the color was so wierd!!! Kaiser accepted donor milk mostly for their preemie babies, but they had certain criteria that I'd have to meet.
    There is such a huge range of normal for color and thickness, but it is weird when looking at it haha. Join a local milk sharing group on Facebook (Human Milk for Human Babies HM4HB). People donate and receive for babies of all ages. I donated all my excess to a woman going through chemo and another woman with hungry triplets, it's such a blessing to be able to share this gift with babies in need! 
  • yellow1daisyyellow1daisy member
    edited February 2017
    Total dear diary post but these posts are making me sad. I wish I had made enough to be able to donate. most I ever got was maybe a little over 2 oz out of each boob. And that was after MONTHS of pumping and nursing around the clock. Ugh. Breastfeeding. You guys are probably going to hear me whine about breastfeeding a lot  :#

edit: a typo
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Total dear diary post but these posts are making me sad. I wish I had made enough to be able to donate. most I ever got was maybe a little over 2 oz out of each boob. And that was after MONTHS of pumping and nursing around the clock. Ugh. Breastfeeding. You guys are probably going to hear me whine about breastfeeding a lot  :#

Hey, totally get it. And do not feel bad. After the first four months, I actually had supply issues. No magic fix worked and by 9 months, I was only pumping 4 ounces a day and supplementing with formula. I felt like a failure. But my overproduction and lack of it is most likely due to my pcos hormone issue.
  • Total dear diary post but these posts are making me sad. I wish I had made enough to be able to donate. most I ever got was maybe a little over 2 oz out of each boob. And that was after MONTHS of pumping and nursing around the clock. Ugh. Breastfeeding. You guys are probably going to hear me whine about breastfeeding a lot  :#

I'm sorry! I was definitely jealous of some friends with an oversupply, I have a friend that donated over 5,000 oz over the course of a year! Never did anything like that personally haha. Breastfeeding was so hard for me, and I just pumped so that I had an emergency stash, but she wouldn't take the bottle...so I didn't want it to go to waste. Whine all you need to, sometimes we just need to do that! 
  • Is anyone sweating more (like your arm pits)??   I had been using organic deoderant and I think that's over after 2 days this week where I just felt sweaty!  And I had the coat ? too--so thanks!
  • @Katie______ I do notice I sweat more, especially at night while I sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night so uncomfortable and sweaty. 
  • @LM1007
     I think so my own umm not smelliness....maybe back to dry idea deodorant from organic. :/
  • @Katie______ My armpits are ok, but I've had to start putting anitperspirant/deoderant between my boobs...so glamorous.
  • All. The. Boob. Sweat. 
  • @Katie______ Fun times with BF and sweat?  You can actually lactate small amounts out of your entire breast and armpit glands while your body figures out WTF it is supposed to do.  It. Smells. Awful.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers