July 2017 Moms
Options

Big Dumb Q's Thread 2/17/17

13»

Re: Big Dumb Q's Thread 2/17/17

• Options
    stokesm21 said:
    And I'm here again lol! Just read an article on labour stating that you should go to the hospital when contractions are 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long but my hospital is about 45 mins away. It's all highway and if it's in the evening or middle of the night it will take no time to get there but that's obviously no guarantee.  Should I plan to leave sooner? 
    The 5-1-1 rule is that you go when they're 5 minutes apart, one minuts long, and it continues for one hour. So if you got in the car as soon as they hit 5 min apart, you should be fine. Just be aware you might end up heading to the hospital for a false alarm
  • Options
    @chiquita928 I'm in the "DH stroke club" too! (Sorry, that sounded way too enthusiastic haha!) I was finishing my last semester of college. Its been some time now, 7 years. I can't imagine going through that with a baby! Hope your DH is doing okay :) 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    And I'm here again lol! Just read an article on labour stating that you should go to the hospital when contractions are 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long but my hospital is about 45 mins away. It's all highway and if it's in the evening or middle of the night it will take no time to get there but that's obviously no guarantee.  Should I plan to leave sooner? 
    It really depends. Labor came on suddenly for me with my first, absolutely no warning signs, my first contraction hit, and every contraction after that was exactly 2-3 minutes apart. I wanted to bathe, have a snack etc, but we decided instead to get right to the hospital because the contractions were so close together. I was dilated 5 cm when we arrived, but labor still lasted 11 hours after our arrival. So it really really depends! I would say a good general rule is to head to the hospital when contractions are about 5 minutes apart, but I wouldn't rush too early either. 
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I think what's missing from the 5-1-1 rule is intensity. I went last time at the 5-1-1 point but my contractions weren't intense. When I arrived, the staff all but rolled their eyes at me, and DS was born 18+ hours later. 
    Maybe plan to call your doctor to discuss it, if possible, before getting in the car?
  • Options
    chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited February 2017
    stokesm21 said:
    @chiquita928 I'm in the "DH stroke club" too! (Sorry, that sounded way too enthusiastic haha!) I was finishing my last semester of college. Its been some time now, 7 years. I can't imagine going through that with a baby! Hope your DH is doing okay :) 
    Lol such a fun club! It's been a road, but we have adapted. The stroke impacted him cognitively and hit his memory, but thankfully no physical symptoms. We have had a few years of all sorts of things (seizures and hypothermia) happening, now, which is more stressful than the stroke was (how is that even possible).

How is your DH doing? There aren't that many young people who have gone through it.

Edited bc posted too soon.
  • Options
    @stokesm21 it's best to go with your gut. Usually people find it much easier to do the early labor at home because sitting in the hospital can be crazy boring and there is little to distract you from contractions. If you are in active labor I have never heard of a hospital turning you away, honestly do what you feel is best. 

My advice is call the L&D department when you go into labor and keep them updated through your progress, they can help you as far as making a decision on when to come in as well as giving them a heads up. Take a tour of your L&D department and get to know the nurses there - you have no idea how a good relationship with your L&D nurses can make you so much more comfortable and confident. That alone can shape your entire hospital and delivery experience. And never feel bad about calling them, my nurses wanted me to call them for the first month postpartum with questions and concerns. They assured me that is what they are there for, they enjoy it and even if you think it's a stupid question call anyway because they have heard it a hundred times before :) 
  • Options
    @stokesm21 - concerts are fine! Just don't jump around like a fool. ;)
    I asked my dr bc DH was worried about it and was told just to not jump around. I've been to two so far and had a great time. Have fun!
  • Options
    With my first I followed the 5-1-1 rule, and I think I just got lucky that it was a slow day in L&D. So they didn't send me home, but they kept me in triage for 4-5 hours. I think they were trying to wait and see if I could wait until after midnight to be admitted. I ended up being admitted at like 10pm Tuesday night, baby was born Wednesday morning, and we left the hospital on Thursday. A lot of that stuff depends on your insurance, but I may have been able to stay until Friday if I had waited until after midnight to be admitted. 
  • Options
    I had no contractions/signs of labor and was at a 2 for weeks leading up to my due date. I woke up to contractions at 2am that were 3-5min apart lasting a minute and I didn't give birth until 4pm that day. I didn't leave for the hospital until 7am and even then I was concerned they would send me home cause I wasn't sure I was in labor (haha) Luckily I was a 5 when I got there, but for most moms, you'll have plenty of time. My hospital is also 45 min away all highway. 
  • Options
    With my daughter they got to 5-1-1 but when I showered and relaxed they slowed down. So then when they picked back up, I got ready. Then picked up my mom, took her shopping, then dropped her off. Then went back to my house and picked up my bag and went to the hospital. The entire time at 5-1-1 or 4-1-1 for 2-3 hours. Arrived at 10:30am (labor started at midnight-ish), and once we got all checked in labor slowed down again, and I was "barely 3cm" but they kept me anyways because I was overdue and scheduled for induction the next day. DD didn't arrive until nearly 8pm. 

So, I don't think a 45min drive to the hospital would make me want to leave the house sooner. I will add, contractions in the car were much more uncomfortable anywhere else. Can't move around, felt trapped, very uncomfortable. 

My new hospital is 30min away with no traffic. So when the time comes we will probably drop of DD, then go walking at a mall near by the hospital. I'll probably eat, because last time I didn't and then was starving. I dunno, we will see how it works out- you never know, that's half the fun :) 
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    Lol such a fun club! It's been a road, but we have adapted. The stroke impacted him cognitively and hit his memory, but thankfully no physical symptoms. We have had a few years of all sorts of things (seizures and hypothermia) happening, now, which is more stressful than the stroke was (how is that even possible).

How is your DH doing? There aren't that many young people who have gone through it.

Edited bc posted too soon.
    Oh no,  I'm sorry to hear that! My DH is fine. He had an arteriovenous malformation (abnormal clumping of blood cells in the brain) that just kind of burst when his blood pressure spiked one day. He ended up having a craniotomy a few weeks later and they were able to remove it completely. Seizures were a possibility after surgery but he made a full recovery. Although during his stay he had the left sided paralysis and all that jazz. I totally (somewhat) understand where you're coming from. The initial problem is one thing to deal with, a blip in time, but to have lasting effects from it must be very tough on both of you! *hugs*
  • Options
    When do we start worrying about baby being breech? They told me he was breech at the anatomy scan, and I just thought "whatever, there's plenty of time" and now I'm thinking is that normal? Are most babies head-down by now? 
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all the advice on labour and when to go to the hospital. I actually remember my BIL getting really antsy with my sisters second being like,  "I don't want to deliver this baby in the car!" Haha! I was there around 4am to stay with my nephew and they didn't leave till 4:40. My niece was here by 7:30am. With her first though I remember she texted me around 10pm telling me it was on but still to wait then my Mom finally texted me around 12:30am and told me to come. He didn't come until 4ish. Man. I hope my babies come as fast as hers LOL! Although with my nephew she pushed for a looong time. It was agonizing listening to her. My Dad couldn't stand hearing her in pain so he went for a walk around the ward lol! 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    When do we start worrying about baby being breech? They told me he was breech at the anatomy scan, and I just thought "whatever, there's plenty of time" and now I'm thinking is that normal? Are most babies head-down by now? 
    My OB wasn't concerned at all about my DD being breech until 32 weeks and even then he kept telling me she'd most likely turn. She never did, but there were other circumstances for why that occurred. 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    My LO was still laying sideways at my anatomy scan (had mine at 18 weeks) with her face shoved against my (anterior) placenta. They didn't seem to care. The last few days I have been feeling kicks towards the top of my uterus though so I am assuming she has turned to more of a head down position since. 

My cousin (who is about 7.5 weeks ahead of me) was told at her 25 week appointment that her baby was breech and that she had to come back in 2 weeks to re-check. They didn't make it seem like it was too concerning at that point though. At the check 2 weeks later, he wasn't breech. But she actually just texted me this morning that he is again. She has Polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid) and GD so I think she is more 'high risk' which is why they keep checking. 

Not sure if any of that is helpful or not lol
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    LM1007LM1007 member
    edited February 2017
    AdaByron said:
    One night I was woken by the worst cramps, so I made an appt for the next day and at 28w I was told my son was breech and it wouldn't be a concern until 32w. But my son was also breech and weighing 6lbs at my 28w appt, which even my doctor was shocked.(3weeks prior he was only 3lbs & head down) My son stayed breech, and I personally think it was because he was to freaking big to turn back. Lol
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    I was actually looking up something else and saw this:
    It is considered normal by some for a baby to present breech until the third trimester. Most birth practitioners are not concerned with breech presentations until a patient is 37 weeks along. Approximately 4% of all pregnancies result in a breech presentation.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    dancegurl1118dancegurl1118 member
    edited February 2017
    @AdaByron usually 36 weeks is when it becomes an actual concern because they run out of room to flip (still possible though!). If you find yourself getting closer and still breech spinningbabies.com has awesome resources on inversions that work!

eta: DD was breech at 27-29 weeks so of course I was freaking out (when I knew I didn't need to be, but you can't fix crazy). I did the inversions on spinningbabies for about 4 days 20 min a day and she flipped and stayed. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    Mine was all over the place at my anatomy scan today. I asked the Dr when we start thinking about position/breech and she said 35 weeks.
  • Options
    @AdaByronmy DS was breech which is why I ended up with a c-section. They didn't worry about it until 38 weeks because they were certain he'd flip himself into the right position. I had a procedure scheduled to flip him at 38+3 but his fluid was too low so they ended up not being able to flip him. I wouldn't worry about it until you're closer to delivery when baby runs out of room and is unable to flip by themselves.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    @AdaByron usually breech isn't a problem until 3rd tri. I want to say I felt both of mine turn at around 36/37 weeks. Yes, you can feel them sideways and it's uncomfortable. Normally the OB can feel which way baby is at the 32 week appt, and go from there. 
  • Options
    @AdaByron I second @dancegurl1118 and @virginiaunicorn11 during my a/s at 20 weeks the baby flipped positions completely - he was sideways one way and flipped the other direction. The tech said they can flip flop like that until the last few weeks. 
  • Options
    I had such a different birth experience than I expected, and sounds like it was different from most here.  My water broke at 38w1d as a FTM, and the OB had me head on over to the hospital. I didn't have any contractions yet at that point. When the contractions actually started, they were back contractions, and I didn't know what was happening. They then put me on pitocin, which I lovingly refer to as the devil drug, and then sh*t got real. I asked for an epidural, then slept for a few hours (this was all overnight). It was about 11 hours until it was time to push. I pushed for 45 min, and then DS came.
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    My first babe was sideways most of my last pregnancy, she went head down around 35 weeks which my OB said was perfect. I wouldn't worry yet, although I do forget the EXACT week that doctors say they start expecting babes to turn head down. 
  • Options
    Random question. I was pretty nauseous until about 15 weeks, but I've been feeling a lot better. Over the last few days, however, it seems to have returned, and it's so much worse!! Is this something that happens, or could I have food poisoning or something? 
  • Options
    @JulyBaby17 Could be MS rearing its ugly head again, but there are also a bunch of stomach bugs going around near me.
  • Options
    @JulyBaby17 Could be MS rearing its ugly head again, but there are also a bunch of stomach bugs going around near me.
    Yeah, something is going around here, too. Hopegully, it passes soon. Thanks!
  • Options
    Can someone please recommend a super plush, ultra comfy stationary bike seat cover?. 
  • Options
    Sorry to ressurect an old post, but I had a dump question. 

Does anybody know if it's safe to use papaya soap while pregnant? I stopped using it when I got my BFP, but I'm worndering if it was unnecessary to stop. I just wasn't sure if it was safe/pregnancy approved or not. I haven't asked my doctor, though I will when I see him next week. Just wondered if any bumpies knew. 
  • Options
    @supermom83 you could confirm but I use a papaya peel on my face that my doctor approved of, I'm quite certain you can use it on your skin, I even had papaya salad a few times so I'm not the best with these kind of things. 
  • Options
    @supermom83 is papaya a no-go during pregnancy? Asking because I genuinely don't know and haven't been told to avoid it. Fruit was my main craving first tri so I was eating a ton of it... I don't think I had papaya but now I'm paranoid. 
  • Options
    @oheliza44 I don't know about fresh papaya, but I would think that's fine!

All I know is that papaya soap is a natural method used for skin lightening. My friend recommended it to me when I told her the skin in my armpits and between my thighs was getting dark after my pregnancy with DS2. She recommended I use papaya soap on those areas to even out my skin tone, and it significantly helped with the skin discoloration. I also used it on my face to help with acne. 

Real papaya soap is different from kojic acid soap (which is skin lightening soap) because papaya soap
    is natural vs. a chemical skin whitener. 
  • Options
    oheliza44 said:
    @supermom83 is papaya a no-go during pregnancy? Asking because I genuinely don't know and haven't been told to avoid it. Fruit was my main craving first tri so I was eating a ton of it... I don't think I had papaya but now I'm paranoid. 
    They say that only unripe papay is dangerous, and can cause preterm labor, and that ripe papaya is okay.
  • Options
    @supermom83 which papaya soap are you using if you don't mind me asking? I'm interested (and I'm going to the doc soon so il ask) 
  • Options
    @BusyZee This is the one I use: Vi-Tae Organic Papaya Soap, 4 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKI2682/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NxpVyb6KH414S
  • Options
    Third-time+ moms: Were there any considerations for your second kid's name that you wish you'd been aware of? 

I saw on the BabyNames board that someone said to think about the difficulty of the S sound if your first kid has a lisp. This wouldn't have crossed my mind, so I wondered if I am overlooking anything else.

We have been asking DS to say all the names on our shortlist, just to make sure...
  • Options
    michelle04usmichelle04us member
    edited March 2017
    @virginiaunicorn11 I didn't think of the older siblings not being able to pronounce the name. Now with this one we did consider it only because our younger 2 who have speech delays have troubles saying their own names correctly and of course each others. I had no idea J and X were 6 year old speech letters. Meaning in speech therapists curriculum if a child has a speech problem that is the age to worry if the child can't pronounce them (at least thats what I understood from my kids' therapists). So even though our oldest 2 have unique names they were easier for them to pronounce as a toddler. 

eta tag
                           SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 this is something I also didn't consider. DD calls her brother "day-dee" instead of Davey or David and it is beyond adorable. She also pronounces 7 "sed-jee". I know there are certain words harder for her to say but she will get them eventually so I don't worry. Honestly I will be sad the first time she says her brothers name correctly