August 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Your BFP Story

I want to hear everyone's story about why you tested and when that second line showed up!
Did you wait patiently for a missed period? Or what about a call from a Dr. letting you know that the beta was positive?
Perhaps you're like me and have an obscenely large pee stick collection tracking line progression.

Share!!! I love these stories.

(For those that don't know GTKY = Getting to know you and BFP = Big Fat Positive)

Together: January 2002
Married: May 2008
Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GTKY: Your BFP Story

• Options
    I started tracking my days again on Fertility Friend (what I used to conceive last time), and I got pregnant right away. I knew it the moment my boobs started hurting (this is baby #4 for me). I had other symptoms too, but the breast pain was a dead giveaway. I bought a test two days after my missed period & it had the faintest line ever, nonetheless, two lines & a BFP! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I was actually in the process of switching birth controls in September/October with plans to stop birth control to NTNP at the beginning of the year. I was ONE DAY late at the end of October and decided to test, just in case, and I totally expected it to be negative. Nope. BFP! I kept it a secret from everybody, including my husband, for two weeks until finally announcing it to him at my daughter's one-year cake smash photo shoot. (The photographer was the first person I called after getting my BFP).
  • Options
    DH and I got married in May. We hadn't decided on timing and I was too focused on the wedding so didn't even have an idea - maybe a year, maybe two, but once we got back, I kept thinking more and more, why wait?

Once we got back from the honeymoon, we'd talked about me going off BCP in October/November to start trying in January, but I missed my period while on the pill still in August which has never happened to me...never even been late before. I'd been super stressed at work but thought I might be pregnant so tested a bunch - all negative. I decided if my body was going to be that weird while on the pill, I needed to get off ASAP. I finally got my period again in October (2 months after my last), and started temping. That cycle was 42 days and it turns out DH was traveling for work for the entire 6 days of my FW - which I could only ID after my BFP the next month since my luteal phase was so all over the place.

After 2 long cycles of 60 days and 42 days, I figured the next would be long as well and decided to start using OPKs around CD 15. I swore I was going to wait until CD 43 to test, but around CD28, I started getting period cramps and assumed AF was going to show up instead (and I was more than happy to have a regular cycle so not even that disappointed). 4 days later, still getting period cramps, still no AF so I broke down and tested, even though I'd used an OPK test the day before. Line appeared in less than 15 seconds since it turns out with my dating scan, I O'ed on CD 13 or 14 (so totally missed it with the OPKs) and was 17 or 18 DPO already.

I was also using Fertility Friend to chart but never got crosshairs, hence the O confusion. I can see a pattern now that I know when I O'ed on the BFP cycle which will hopefully be helpful for trying for #2 in a few years. I've never been more in touch with yet confused by my body in my life. PMS symptoms being so similar to pregnancy symptoms is a huge mind f***.

I want to add that I have many friends who have had or still do struggle with infertility issues and I am so thankful that my journey to #1 was so short. My heart goes out to those of you who have waited much longer for this and to those still struggling to get pregnant. I've also heard secondary infertility is more common than primary infertility so am especially grateful and not taking this for granted, although I can only imagine what some of you have gone through to get here.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    We were trying so I was using fertility friend to track ovulation. A few days before my fertile window we started every other day and didn't stop until what it said was the day I should ovulate. We had been trying for three months. I went over to visit my friend 11 days post ovulation and the smell of her dog made me gag. I knew something was up then because smells in general don't bother me. I went to the store when I left there and tested at my parents house. I slowly but surely saw that second pink line showing up. It wasn't very dark but there. I got the flashlight to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Then I took the second one and it was darker. I couldn't believe it because with DS I never got a positive home pregnancy test. I had also tested at 9 days post ovulation and it was negative then so I almost thought I was out. I called my husband because I was out of town visiting my family and he was so excited. 
  • Options
    We had been trying for almost a year and we couldn't get a referral for a fertility doctor until we had hit a year. We'd been temping and tracking and going insane. It was our last cycle before we were going to go back in for our referral consult and BOOM baby. 
    DD had come so easy I just hadn't expected this to be such a journey. But here we are and we couldn't be happier. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had gotten married in July. Went off birth control in July and started actively trying in September. Didn't do much tracking other than OPK kits. DH thought I was acting weird in mid November. I was getting extremely cold like way more than usual and my eating habits had changed. He said something to me about how he hoped I was acting that way because I was pregnant. Next morning, I took a test and it was positive. It sucked because both DH and I worked all day and I had to hold it in till I could tell him in person.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mkayslurpmkayslurp member
    edited February 2017
    I got my BFP at my son's preschool about five mins before pickup.  Super classy.    We decided not to prevent in November and things just got so crazy busy- I was taking four classes, the holidays, etc..  I didn't test until my period was 2 days late when my bff asked if I was KU. 
  • Options
    DH and I decided to get off BC in October to start trying in November. Thanksgiving day my youngest was sick and stayed home with DH while my older son and I went to my grandparents for the day. I'm rarely with just one kid and I honestly hadn't realized how incredibly "easy" it was to just have one child all day. The next day I told DH that i wasn't ready for a third child and maybe don't ever want to expand our family because finally realizing the huge difference between 1 to 2 kids I really didn't want to add yet another. I got a new prescription for BC and was just waiting for AF so I could start back up. Fast forward 2 weeks I decided to POAS to rule out pregnancy because I was planning on drinking and didn't want to stress about the possibility of pregnancy. Faint line right away. I was like ahhhh $hit! Mostly because DH had been butt hurt that I tested with DS2 without him so he "found out after" me. So I quick threw that test away grabbed a fresh one, called DH into the bathroom so I could POAS in front of him, then feigned complete surprise when the second line appeared hahaha and turns out we conceived on thanksgiving morning, go figure! Super excited to be adding this little nugget to the family, just funny how things work out is all!
  • Options
    We had been trying.  I was temping and tracking symptoms through fertility friend. That cycle was a weird one for me, lots of spotting after my period and a super late O. Our BD timing was totally off because my FW was right smack dab in the middle of finals week and studying was more important than making babies. I knew the second I O'd from cm and made a last ditch effort about 24 hours later, but didn't have much hope for the cycle as a whole.  Regardless, I tested obsessively starting at 8dpo and got a really faint squinter on day 10. 

The craziest part to me was the first thing I googled was twin pregnancies and had a few haunting conversations at the maternal Infant hospital I was working at. It came as a very little shock that I was carrying two babies a few weeks later during our dating US. 
  • Options
    We decided to start trying in Sept. Two cycles went by and nothing. In Nov during ovulation we did the deed and the very next day I woke up and I just KNEW. I feel instantly nauseous and just off. I still had to wait the two weeks to test. Thanksgiving day I got my positive test and told DH. We were both so excited!

I don't know how but both times with my DD and now this one, I knew I was pregnant instantly. I immediately started feeling off.
  • Options
    We had planned to start NTNP in December when DS was 18 months old, but my birthday is in November and my fertile period (tracking with my calendar period tracker) was right after.  I convinced DH to pull the goalie for my birthday and he might have been a little tipsy. I had a feeling I was pregnant right away.  2 weeks later on Thanksgiving I fell and dislocated my knee cap tearing my meniscus and cartilage. I was 5 days from my next period. Friday morning DH took me to the ER for my knee because I was in excruciating pain.  I told them I suspected I was pregnant and they did blood work which came back negative. I was supposed to start Tuesday, but didn't.  I never had that feeling of being about to start.  I was staying with my parents since I was on crutches and in a brace that immobilized my leg.  That Thursday morning before and mri I tried to take a test my sister brought me, but the control line was defective. Got home that day and decided to take one again the next morning since I had some digital ones at home. I had everything set up before bed Thursday night. I peed in the cup which wasn't easy with my knee injury, but I managed. 3 minutes later, BFP.  DH was so shocked and scared, but I think he's getting more excited.  He's a worrier, though.
  • Options
    middy411middy411 member
    edited February 2017
    Well I was catching up on Parenthood episodes since I revived my Netflix as my 9mo DD napped. I cried 3 times in one episode... anytime something was touching or remotely sad. I NEVER cry in tv shows/movies... except for when I was pregnant. So I was like hmm that's weird. Maybe I'll go take a pregnancy test. The line was sooo faint (I use the pink dye dollar store tests) that I sent a pic to my SIL and asked if I was crazy. She just announced her new pregnancy the week before at thanksgiving and I had mentioned to her that DH and I wanted to wait til DD was 1yo but that we hadnt been super careful lately either. She called me and the first word she said was "congratulations!". I paced the house for a solid 20 minutes telling her I couldn't believe it and wondered what DH was going to say. Then I formulated my plan to announce to him using our alphabet letters puzzle mat. I arranged the letters to say "YOUS A PARENT X2" (limited letters and some substitutions lol) and swaddled one of DD's stuffed animals and put a bottle next to it. When he got home I sat DD next to the display and got his reaction on video. Mostly a bunch of "omg"s through smiling haha. 

ETA: It was a day or two before my missed period and I felt no symptoms coming. Which is what alerted me to test for DD the first time.
  • Options
    I don't have a nice story :( we weren't trying but not preventing...no birth control, just letting whatever happens happens. Four months later I felt pregnancy symptoms and decided to buy some tests at Target while I was out. I tested and it was immediately positive. My heart was racing and I began to cry because I was scared to tell my boyfriend. He is a truck driver so he's gone out of town four days a week. I told him via text picture. He didn't even know what it meant so I had to straight up say the tests are positive so I'm pregnant lol He was actually happy it happened at this point of our life, so that made me feel better. 
  • Options
    We just decided that maybe it would be a good idea to have another baby. We only managed to dtd twice in my fertile week, and i was sure that the first time was too early (probs around 4days before O) and the second time the day after i likely Od. By the time the week was out i had discussed the low chance with DH and we decided to wait a bit longer as DD was only 9m old. I totally put it out of my mind, but 5 days before i was due i had lamb for dinner and i just couldnt eat it. Couldnt put my finger on why, but it just didnt seem good to me. That night i had a dream that i had a baby in the bath at home (very peaceful dream and it was a boy) and i woke up in the morning and just thought 'i gotta test' sure enough the sucker was a BFP. Started throwing up the next day and still going
  • Options
    We stopped preventing but I told my husband if we weren't pregnant by the end of the year we needed to prevent again for 6 months. I'm in a huge important wedding in November and all I could think about was getting pregnant and missing it and we've both been planning her wedding for years. Haha. 

We went on a cruise. Had sex, and I started bleeding. I thought bummer my period is a week early. But it stopped the next day. Thought nothing else of it. I got sea sick feeling at night, never do. Ignored it. My pee smelled awful. Ignored it.
    We got home and I tracked my period and it was late. Totally normal. My period can be anywhere from 28-32 days though 30 is the norm. It hit 33 days and I thought well I'll buy a test. What always happens is I buy it and then I'll start like magic. But while I was driving home I recalled the bleeding  (implantation date) the sick feeling and the awful strong pee and suddenly I was like oh better not wait to pee on that stick. Sure enough I peed, I waited, I saw and then I was freaking out in disbelief. It's what we wanted and just in 'time' but it was hard to believe. 
  • Options
    My husband and I only use barrier methods for bc, so I keep a test in the bathroom just in case (we weren't actively trying). At 4 days late, I took the test and it was negative, and I went on with my business. At 6 days late, I bought another and it was also negative. 7 days I saw the faintest, barely there line. I texted my BFF and she said it didn't look like anything to her. I tried to wait 2 more days to take another, but I took one each day anyway, both the same faint faint line. I had told my husband about the first negative test, but he didn't know I was still late. Finally, I got a halfway decent looking line on my 5th or 6th test, and I called my BFF immediately to squee and jump up and down. I waited another 2 days before telling my husband  (I gave him a box of Eggos and a jar of Prego sauce).  
  • Options
    We had been trying for 6 months... tracking ovulation,  temping, the works.  I was getting super frustrated, so month 7 I decided to take a break and just be easy going with it all.  We went on a mini vacation,  had a wedding to go to.... I think all of the relaxing really helped!  I had a stash of cheap pregnancy tests in my bathroom vanity, and since my sense of smell was ridiculously strong,  I tested at 3w1d.  At first glance I saw nothing, so I tossed the test to the side and figured it was still so early so I wasn't too upset.  A few hours later I went back upstairs and saw the test with two clear lines. I freaked a little, then remembered it had been hours and the results are invalid after like 10 mins. So I took a first response test right then and there and it came back positive immediately.  I couldn't hold it in from DH so I ran down holding it and shaking. I'm bummed I couldn't do something cute to tell him, but I was in such shock!  But since I found out so early,  the wait to go to the doctor really felt like an eternity lol

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm one of those weirdos who knows SUPER early. 

I had a normal period in October, and then had a weird, totally not normal, early, odd, spotting for 1 Day in November. I figured it was implantation spitting. Waited a few days, tested, BFN. Waited a week, tested again, BFN. Waited another few days, tested again, BFN. 

3 weeks to the DAY after that weird 1 day of spotting, I got a BFP. That was December 4th. Super confused. 

Went to my first appointment and told my OB that I thought I was 9 1/2 weeks (based on my LMP in October) and he was like, "Nope. You're 6 weeks." LOL!

So, apparently my weird day of spotting was actually a period (the first and only weird cycle I've EVER had in my life, since I'm super regular) and I got a positive test 3 weeks later on the dot. 

I'm 13 weeks today, and I've known for 10 whole weeks. Makes for a loooooong pregnancy! LOL!
  • Options
    You're right! These are fun!

We just got married in May.  I've wanted kids for a long time, but I've been patient with our careers and living situations.  I felt I'd waited too long and was afraid at 31, I'd have a difficult time getting pregnant.  In October, I finally talked to DH about going off the pill.  I told him it was going to take a long time and we should start now as it could be awhile.  DH suprisingly agreed, so I stopped the pill that day.

Come Thanksgiving, he was going on a trip and I wanted to spend the holiday with my husband.  I have no one nearby and it was better than being alone.  And he was overnighting in Buffalo, NY during the trip and I wanted Buffalo wings!  We got to spend Thanksgiving day in a hotel in Boston and had a nice dinner at a nearby restaurant before leaving for a late night Buffalo flight.

Two weeks later, I was flying across the country to visit my family on the opposite coast.  I'm a pilot, I don't get airsick.  But there I was, in my own row of a 737, taking all the airsick bags for myself just in case.  Oof.  

When I got to my parents house, I remember watching Fuller House with my baby brother and crying.  TV shows don't make me cry.  I took a test, but it was negative.  Once I got back to the east coast I bought my "before you get pregnant" books and vitamins and starting eating the way you should when you're trying.  I didn't ever think I could get pregnant that fast, so I was prepping for actually trying.  I still wanted it so bad, so I was taking pregnancy tests, but everything was negative.  And I was so irrationally disappointed.

December 9th after a 14 hour day of work, I was exhausted and DH made me dinner, but the chicken looked undercooked.  I wouldn't eat it and fought when I said, if I were pregnant this could hurt the baby. He yelled that I wasn't pregnant.  I got up and peed on a stick, because honestly, these cramps should have procured AF by then.  And earlier in the day I had told my sister "if these are no birth control boobs, I can't even understand the pain of pregnancy boobs."  So I did.  BFP.  Huh.  I was confused.  I showed him. I asked if you can do these wrong.  Was it dark enough?  (I hadn't even cracked the spine of my conceiving books yet.) I was so excited but so cautious about that excitement.

We're 13 weeks now and couldn't be happier.  He says his initial reaction of "my life is over" was a joke and he's funny. But he's come around and is super excited.
  • Options
    DH and I were married in the fall of 2014. We wanted to enjoy being married awhile, sell our individual properties and find a new, bigger home before pulling the goalie. As we're both in our 30's, we know a lot of people who have had various child-bearing struggles. We decided that once we were "settled" (fall of 2016) we'd see what happens. We actually agreed that if nothing ever happened in the old-fashioned way we'd be fine if we never had kids. We wouldn't go down an IVF or adoption path; we'd just be a twosome. 

So imagine our surprise when I got pregnant in the first month of not using any protection. 

November was really stressful with work and we'd traveled over Thanksgiving. I had a second-round job interview the week after the holiday as well. I should have had my period right around Thanksgiving and nothing was happening despite having PMS (bloat, bigger boobs, cramps). I've always been on a 28 day cycle and it was rare to be late, but often being late was chalked up to stress. Finally, after the job interview, I took the test and that sucker lit up like a Christmas tree within 10 seconds. To say DH was shocked would be an understatement. Oh, and I didn't get offered that job, which is good because I have maternity benefits at my current job- and now I'm just waiting to find out if I get another in-house offer for a newly-created position. New baby and new position in the same year would be awesome! (Especially with a raise helping with day care costs...)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We were using condoms. Had sex three times all of November. I was being super bitchy the last week of November/first week of December (same thing happened when we first found out about DS), so SO went and bought a test the night of DS's birthday and tossed it at me. It was positive. Took a few more over the next few days, all positive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @caitlyn5454

I was a bit stunned when I get my BFP.  DH was not.  He told me that I was such a B@9#& that he just had a feeling.   Thanks honey.  Just what I wanted to hear.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I knew, hands down, right after we dtd I was going to get pregnant. I'm not on bc and dh usually pulls out but not that time. My boobs hurt and my exhaustion was crazy before I got my bfp. I was testing every day or so for a week until it showed up. Dh knew before the test were positive too. Going to bed at 8pm and overall moodiness is something that can't be overlooked. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• Options
    DH and I started trying in October.  My menstrual cycle has always been extremely regular and predictable, but near the end of October, I had some spotting and cramping that started four days before my expected period.  The bleeding then lasted two weeks instead of my usual five days.

The following month I ended up having the same type of spotting and cramping; I thought that I was just having another weird period.  I told DH that we would have to try again.  That week we celebrated Thanksgiving with DH's side of the family and something strange happened.  DH's grandmother randomly gave me a bunch of maternity pants.  She didn't know that we were trying, but maybe, she was giving us a hint that we should try to have a baby.  (I didn't know what to think, but at least, they were cute maternity pants.)

Well, I decided to take a pregnancy test the next morning since I had a whole pile of maternity pants now, and I got my BFP!  I was absolutely shocked.  I thought that it was going to be negative, and I wasn't even really sure why I decided to take the pregnancy test that morning.  I thought that I was having my period.  The spotting and cramping ended up only lasting a few days.  I thought that implantation bleeding and cramping was not a real thing, but I was wrong.  I told DH later that day, and he didn't act surprised at all.  He said, "I knew that you were pregnant.  You have been really emotional."
    Pregnancy Ticker