February 2017 Moms

GTKY: What makes you weird?

13»

Re: GTKY: What makes you weird?

• Oh, I thought of more:

I have always had a fascination with cemeteries. Even when I was super young (like 4-5), I would love driving by the big military cemetery near my house and looking at all the neatly-aligned rows of tombstones. I fully understood there were dead bodies under them, but it didn't faze me. And I absolutely love old cemeteries, with big gravestones. I like walking around and looking at the names and ages and wondering about their lives.

I also have a freakishly good sense of direction. My dad likes to tell people that when I was around 5 or 6, and we were driving in the city we had recently moved to, he missed the street we were supposed to turn on and I told him he was going the wrong way. Another time, when I was ten, my sisters and I were going to the mall to get portraits taken as a surprise for our parents, and my then 16-year old sister went the wrong way on the freeway. I told them we were going the wrong way, they refused to believe me until we were about 15 miles down the freeway. They still bring it up and say that because of that, they never doubt my sense of direction. Once I have been somewhere once, I will always remember how to get back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • homemake said:
    @MommaBean @Lafreeman21 and @Vastra you escalator walkers are the WORST. You give me such anxiety! I kind of hope you all fall down the escalator. I'm so anxious abt you all knocking me over, when I'm at the airport I put my suitcase next to me so no one can pass and knock me over. You can wait the 30 seconds, damnit.
    I thought it was like a rule in airports to stand on the right and pass on the left. 
    It IS a rule, and I get irrationally ragey when people block the entire escalator since I like to walk up them. Or when people just cruise around in the left lane (it's a PASSING LANE, people!). But like @MrsDramaK if someone is riding my ass on a one-lane road or in the right lane, I totally make a point not to speed up, just out of spite. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Things that make me weird:

I don't drink water out of anything but my "water bottles". I buy water bottles and they're all I drink water out of (not the disposable kind, but the reusable kind). For some reason, I hate drinking water out of our glasses at home and will only use mine. I do the same at other peoples houses though too, just because I typically carry my bottle around with me and drink a lot. Only exception is restaraunts, which I don't mind drinking out of theirs for some reason.

For tv volume, the numbers have to be even. It doesn't matter if 12 is too low, 14 is too high, and 13 is just right. It WILL be on an even number. Typically it goes to the "too high" spectrum because I have high frequency hearing loss which makes it harder for me to hear certain pitches or words (think S words).

I can only sleep with my pillow. I can use any other pillow for in between my legs, resting on my side and "cuddling" said pillow, but when it comes to what my head is laying on, it has to be my pillow if I'm going to get any sleep. I've always kind of been that way growing up, but once I got my most recent pillow which helped tremendously with my neck pain, I've taken it to a whole new level.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • If it weren't for my long ass toes, many things would he left on the floor. 
  • Also have monkey toes and they've been exceptionally helpful throughout pregnancy. Weird my H out. My grandma also has monkey toes and uses them. 
  • +1 to monkey toes. I didn't realize it was weird to pick things up with your feet for the longest time, since it seems all of my siblings have this skill too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Omg @Aussie45 I have the weird pillow thing too! I've had the same pillow for as long as I remember (with plenty of cleanings and regular changing the outer cover and just transferring the insides) I still have it! I can't sleep without it and if I do, I always wake up with a headache. No other pillows will do. I thought I was the only one! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger and @Aussie45 I'm gonna say the old pillow is too much for me.. buuut finding the perfect pillow has been a tough road.. I'm still not set on mine. Have you ever thought of the "My Pillow", when the inevitable day comes and you need a new one? 
  • @kirstynikole I'll be screwed when that day comes. I'd probably look online and try to find the same one. This one I've had for about four years now and doesn't show signs of wear. It's a memory foam pillow I think, but I don't know if that's why it's lasted so long or what. Either way, when this pillow bites the dust, I will cry.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • I totally forgot about my feet: the left one is about a 1/2 size smaller than the right, which makes buying shoes a complete PITA.  Also, check out those cankles!  Scored a pedi appointment in the morning that I'm hoping will ease some of my swelling.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • MrsDramaKMrsDramaK member
    edited February 2017
    MrsDramaK said:
    MommaBean said:
    @MommaBean @Lafreeman21 and @Vastra you escalator walkers are the WORST. You give me such anxiety! I kind of hope you all fall down the escalator. I'm so anxious abt you all knocking me over, when I'm at the airport I put my suitcase next to me so no one can pass and knock me over. You can wait the 30 seconds, damnit.
    Do you also cruise in the passing lane and match pace with the car to the right so I can't around?
    TBH if someone's driving like a total asshole (like riding my ass and flashing brights at me when I'm easily 10 over the speed limit) I definitely do this out of spite
    @MrsDramaK BECAUSE THAT IS ADULT BEHAVIOR.

xoxo love you boo  :*

SITB

I'm really mature until I'm not lololol
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have always had a fascination with cemeteries. Even when I was super young (like 4-5), I would love driving by the big military cemetery near my house and looking at all the neatly-aligned rows of tombstones. I fully understood there were dead bodies under them, but it didn't faze me. And I absolutely love old cemeteries, with big gravestones. I like walking around and looking at the names and ages and wondering about their lives.
    This is me right here, like to a tee. Even developed the fascination at about the same age as you.  I'm not even sure what else to say about it I just read this and went, "holy s*** there's someone else like that out there!"

As for what makes me a little weird though... well as of recently I have two different sized irises(the right one is always more dilated) due to too many bad cases of uveitis.

Also, whenever I'm at the hospital and they're doing something to me that I don't have to be asleep for(taking blood for example), I always like to watch... especially the taking blood bit, dunno why it's just been something I've done since I was little. The doctor or nurse would be like, "okay now look away," and I'd just say, "why?"
  • GretchypooGretchypoo member
    edited February 2017
    MommaBean said:
    Do you also cruise in the passing lane and match pace with the car to the right so I can't around?
    Lol no. That drives me insane. But I have seen too many people fall down escalators and it totally freaks me out. Our airport escalators here are really not big enough to pass anyone either so it is dangerous. I'm good with being an asshole on this one. 

ETA: Literally everywhere else I move to the right to let people pass- sidewalks, stairs, traffic. But escalators are tiny, rickety and scare the crap out of me. In the airport I also have a huge suitcase generally so I'm trying to not get that knocked over and hurt other people.
  • @BeckS13 you're like our very own Bowie 
  • homemake said:
    I thought it was like a rule in airports to stand on the right and pass on the left. 
    I'm pretty sure it's a (unspoken/unwritten) rule everywhere. I've been in big cities where you kinda have to do this. It's just how it is. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My life as a walk left/stand right escalator passenger is a lie: https://www.macleans.ca/society/why-the-escalator-etiquette-of-stand-right-walk-left-is-wrong/
    It's not a ride, damnit!
  • I just randomly say stuff and then way over think them after I've said it. It drives my husband crazy.