March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 2/6

Re: Ask a STM week 2/6

• DH will be home with me for 2 weeks after baby arrives, but then he goes back to work and I'm on my own. Luckily my SIL is around the corner and is a SAHM, but can you shower when you are alone with a newborn? If so, how? Can you leave the bathroom door open and bring their rock and play or similar seat in while you jump in for 5 minutes or is that a total no-no? I feel like instinct would tell me if it seems ok to do or not based on how baby is behaving at the time, if he's sleeping or if he's restless... but just wondering if this is something people would never dream of (i.e. wait for DH to come home to shower) or find a way to do ..? 
  • Loading the player...
  • jenny0228 said:
    DH will be home with me for 2 weeks after baby arrives, but then he goes back to work and I'm on my own. Luckily my SIL is around the corner and is a SAHM, but can you shower when you are alone with a newborn? If so, how? Can you leave the bathroom door open and bring their rock and play or similar seat in while you jump in for 5 minutes or is that a total no-no? I feel like instinct would tell me if it seems ok to do or not based on how baby is behaving at the time, if he's sleeping or if he's restless... but just wondering if this is something people would never dream of (i.e. wait for DH to come home to shower) or find a way to do ..? 
    Babies sleep all.the.time! I would strap DD into the rock n play when she was napping, bring her into our bedroom and hop in the shower. If I needed to shower while she was awake, I just made sure she was content and would take a quick shower.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How soon are you able to take newborns out of the house for walks, quick trip to the grocery store, ect? I'm wondering if I will be able to take baby and our dog out for a walk in the stroller or a baby carrier (baby wearing) shortly after we come home or if I would need to be concerned about something? I know it will be awhile before I can start running again but hoping we can at least go for walks!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• kiyamurph said:
    @jenny0228 Just wait until the phantom cries start happening! It's the weirdest thing. You'll be in the shower and then all of a sudden you'll swear on your life that you can hear your kid crying. Then you quickly come busting out the shower all to see them fast asleep. That happened to me too many times to count!
    OMG yes! All the time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SienaC said:
    How soon are you able to take newborns out of the house for walks, quick trip to the grocery store, ect? I'm wondering if I will be able to take baby and our dog out for a walk in the stroller or a baby carrier (baby wearing) shortly after we come home or if I would need to be concerned about something? I know it will be awhile before I can start running again but hoping we can at least go for walks!
    The next day? I mean, assuming that the temperature isn't crazy I'd say as soon as you feel ready. 

I personally avoided situations like church where people would be getting close to baby for a few weeks, but walks outside happened whenever weather permitting. I wore him a lot too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SienaC said:
    How soon are you able to take newborns out of the house for walks, quick trip to the grocery store, ect? I'm wondering if I will be able to take baby and our dog out for a walk in the stroller or a baby carrier (baby wearing) shortly after we come home or if I would need to be concerned about something? I know it will be awhile before I can start running again but hoping we can at least go for walks!
    Whenever you feel like it!  I had a summer baby with my first so it's a little more difficult with cold weather - but within days i was taking walks, running errands and such-and yes doctors appointments! Just did things around her feeding schedule. 
    I'll personally be avoiding outings with this one for a while-because of cold bugs and cold weather. 
  • If there is a thread on this I am sorry - I searched and couldn't find much. How did you introduce your babies to your dogs/cats and were there any precautions you took prior to bringing home baby? Obviously don't leave them alone with dog unsupervised, but just wondering how your animals reacted to the new family member?
  • edited February 2017
    If there is a thread on this I am sorry - I searched and couldn't find much. How did you introduce your babies to your dogs/cats and were there any precautions you took prior to bringing home baby? Obviously don't leave them alone with dog unsupervised, but just wondering how your animals reacted to the new family member?
    I don't think there is a thread on this topic! My DH took home one of the baby blankets from the hospital before we came home for my dog to sniff. There was a lot of sniffing of the new baby, but eventually he lost interest as the baby was just sleeping. There was an adjustment period where my dog had to get used to less attention, and again when she started walking/grabbing him, but now that DD is 2 they are bff and play together all the time.
  • @RunBooRun. yeah can't see my cats knocking me down the same as a hyper puppy would  ;)
  • @lindsey2017 We didn't have any issues bringing home our son with 1 cat. He sniffed around all the stuff in the nursery and other baby stuff. Then when we brought the baby home, he sniffed him rubbed around on the rocknplay and that was pretty much it. He was definitely more distant for awhile since babies cry, but now my son is 2 and they do great. 
  • Thank you @CanadianintheSouth @RunBooRun @Lexxilou1986 for the response! 

I have taken her in the room every day with me and let her sniff around and then we have all the swing and bassinet set up in our room where she normally sleeps  with us, I think we will still let her sleep with us in our bed because baby will be in bassinet next to us. The only issue I see happening is frequent guests getting jumped on but oh well!
  • So I think I've been having contractions for an hour or so, but while my whole uterus gets hard the pain is only on my right where the baby's back is. It does hurt pretty bad and takes my breath away.  Does that sound like a real contraction? Or just Braxton hicks? Is it possible the pain would only be on one side?

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kap1988 said:
    So I think I've been having contractions for an hour or so, but while my whole uterus gets hard the pain is only on my right where the baby's back is. It does hurt pretty bad and takes my breath away.  Does that sound like a real contraction? Or just Braxton hicks? Is it possible the pain would only be on one side?
    Sounds like BH to me
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina Thanks. I've been googling and it sound like it is BH. I just always thought they didn't hurt, but apparently that's not true.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kap1988 said:
    @longliveregina Thanks. I've been googling and it sound like it is BH. I just always thought they didn't hurt, but apparently that's not true

Mine can be a little painful in my rib because/when baby lodges a foot or butt up underneath 
  • i find BH themselves to not be painful but they sometimes squeeze LO into a position that definitely is uncomfortable/painful... if that makes sense
  • DH and I took a baby care class at the hospital this week. They mentioned apps to track feedings and also how many times baby poops.. anyone use these or have one they like? 
  • jenny0228 said:
    DH and I took a baby care class at the hospital this week. They mentioned apps to track feedings and also how many times baby poops.. anyone use these or have one they like? 
    I just made a notation on the notepad on my phone. You only do it at first anyway until you get in the swing of things, then it's more automated in your brain. 

I used to set out 6 diapers every morning and when I got through them all (which was usually by dinner, lol, bf babies poop a lot) I knew baby was eating enough and hydrated. This because counting was hard, lol. As for feedings, I really just fed on demand. Which is code for way more than I expected I would have to, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jenny0228 I used Baby Connect and loved it! Does feedings, diapers, stats, all kinds of things.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Okay STMs...I've noticed that the middle part of my underwear is often damp when I go to the bathroom...nervous that my water could have broken and have a slow leak instead of a gush..I know the only way to really tell is to go to the hospital but I wanted to ask here first.
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• Goodmorning12Goodmorning12 member
    edited February 2017
    I've stated wearing thin panty liners for the extra dampness but my OB said it was a normal amount for me & to be expected.  However it's not to be saturated.  Check with your own OB of course, but, I'm hoping it's a non issue for you as well.  FWIW Having a panty liner in helps ease my mind - theoretically it should be wet/saturated to be concerning, seeing it just a bit damp is a relief.  Also, it's too easy to dribble urine these days...I'm sure that's part of the problem...sexy.
  • It's definitely not saturated...just kind of damp...I go to my perinatal tomorrow and they'll do an u/s so I'll definitely ask how the fluid levels are. I haven't noticed any trickling out at all...just damp undies when I go to the bathroom. Thanks for the reply @Goodmorning12
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• It's definitely not saturated...just kind of damp...I go to my perinatal tomorrow and they'll do an u/s so I'll definitely ask how the fluid levels are. I haven't noticed any trickling out at all...just damp undies when I go to the bathroom. Thanks for the reply @Goodmorning12
    Slightly Damp undies are pretty normal from here on out / with discharge increasing, sweat, and small pee episodes with baby kkkpushing on bladder and moving with the bump. I wouldn't worry!!
  • korpisarkorpisar member
    edited February 2017
    So ladies tell me about labor contractions vs Braxton hicks - with DS my water broke prematurely so I went to the hospital and was put on medication to stop labor. Contractions were very painful when I felt them later. 
    Im having some contractions this morning but not sure if they are Braxton hicks which I haven't felt before or real contractions... thanks

edit: they aren't painful but seem to be occurring fairly frequently. I drank a bottle of water and am laying on my left side. They feel like period cramping with some back pain. I'm timing them and will call the dr if they continue as LO is breech

edit 2: I called dr on call and he said to call him back if they get more painful. He gave me his cell phone number so that was nice
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @korpisar I am a FTM but but my labor classes said to tell if they are real by changing activity (ex. moving between sitting/standing/lying down) good luck!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @korpisar - Glad you got a hold of your doctor! Cramping like light period cramping can go on a ling time before labor, especially for STMs. But if it comes and goes in waves or sharp points and no cramps, and you can time it (say every six minutes) it could be real labor starting. I was induced too, and that's just what my cramps when my cervixwas starting to dilate felt like. But sometimes labor starts for a few hours and stops again, so who knows?

Good luck, whatever happens!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina thanks they are coming in waves every 5-7 minutes. They are a little more painful now than when they started around 8 am. The back pain is always there but seems to get worse at times but not necessarily with the contraction. I'm trying to determine if it gets worse before or after the contraction.

@SienaC I tried walking around and didn't have as much of a contraction but once I laid back down they continued

im going to give it a couple more hours of timing them and measuring the pain then call the dr back. 
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited February 2017
    @korpisar another STM here who was induced/had water broken jumping right into active labor so I never dealt with beginning stages of contractions either!  So, Not much advice other than the usual things I've been told: eat something, drink lots more, and perhaps take a bath to relax and see if that makes them go away. 

Keep us updated!! 
  • Thanks @kjd291 I'll keep you guys updated!
    Anniversary

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Thinking of you @korpisar! Good luck, mama!
  • @korpisar thoughts and prayers mama!!