March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 1/30

2»

Re: Ask a STM week 1/30

• Yep. What @longliveregina said. That's what I have going on this delivery. No big deal.
  • STMs, I have eaten 6 dates yesterday and today. Today after my 6 dates, I have felt what for me in my normal self  would be the pains leading up to heavy period cramping.  What could this mean? And yes I have a doctor appointment tomorrow.
  • Loading the player...
  • @disneybaby84 i wouldn't think the dates would be causing this but who knows. they aren't supposed to induce labor but rather once your body is ready to give birth, make the process easier and faster. i hope they can give you some answers tomorrow! keep us posted
  • @disneybaby84 could it be gas pains?  Dates are high in fiber!
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Does anyone have any good resources about perineal massage & any ancedotal experience with doing it?
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Okay I have a question for those of you who've had birth control in the past- specifically the copper IUD or the arm implant. How did it work for you? Did you recover from the insertion of either one with no complications? Did it affect you negatively hormonally or physically? Was it easy to have removed when you decided to have a baby? After having 3 kids all 18 months apart I'm definitely looking forward to having up to 10 years pregnancy free! My plan is to have at least two more before I hit menopause. My husbands ex wife had her copper IUD puncture her uterine wall and after they fixed it and tied her tubes she milked it for about two years of "unbearable incapacitating pain" that suddenly disappeared when they divorced *eyeroll* but DH is so worried the same thing will happen to me. Which is ridiculous no matter how you look at it. So I would appreciate some stories! 
  • I had the copper IUD, buttttt my body rejected/expelled it on its own. Tried twice with no avail. I guess it's rare-but some people's bodies just don't like them.  Not a complaint about it though! I still wish it had worked for me. Insertion was long and uncomfortable - but I didn't really care because the benefit was worth it in my mind. No recovery of any kind to deal with. 
    I was a big fan of the option because it was hormone free and didn't want to mess with my body. Most all of the women in my family have gotten terrible migraines because of bc, so I wanted to avoid it. 
  • @kjd291 aw that stinks that it didn't want to stay in but I'm glad you had a good experience overall. Its looking like I will have it in shortly after LO arrives which makes me kind of nervous putting anything up in there so soon after having a baby but Im sure it will be fine. I'm pretty thrilled about the hormone free option as well- does that mean you would still get a period though? 
  • @silverbulletband yes-still have a period with the copper IUD 
  • @kjd291 okay! Makes sense :) thanks for the input, I appreciate it! 
  • Not the same, but I did Nuvaring, had most of the negative side effects, hair loss, painful sex, blurred vision at one point, weight gain, irritability and moodiness. My periods themselves were fine though.
  • @disneybaby84 Oh gosh that sucks! :( Im sorry to hear it. My only options are implant or IUD unfortunately as my insurance expires after 3 months post partum and we can't afford a form of B.C that requires consistent refills! Did you find another form of birth control that worked for you? Its such a trial and error process, I'll be screwed if the implant or the IUD doesn't work! 
  • @silverbulletband I understand you want the copper IUD because it doesn't release hormones correct? I never got the copper one, I've had Mirena two different times though. It is a VERY low progesterone dose.. and I had nothing but great experiences with it both times. Helped me lose weight, no mood changes, and light periods.

my close friend had the copper one and her body rejected it and caused a lot of pain for her; but that's all I know about that one.
  • I wouldn't want to use an IUD that issued even a low dose of progesterone: progesterone and prolactin are kind of enemies. I don't know how much progesterone it would take to counter milk production, but I do know if milk supply drops for hormonal reasons things like increasing pumping sessions or lactation cookies/teas can't counteract that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @C25 @longliveregina yes the copper one is my best bet for being able to nurse and having the contraceptive. I've heard so many stories about it being horrible and so many about it working great that it looks like I won't know till I try it! If it doesn't I'll get the dermal and if that doesn't work I'll have to have the Mirena and just forgo breastfeeding. Should be a fun few months there being freshly post partum and having all that done. Definitely hoping the copper one works first! 
  • @longliveregina @silverbulletband I'm not sure if I missed part of the conversation, but the mirena is considered to be a good choice for breastfeeding moms. I got the mirena 6-weeks pp and was breastfeeding. Best form of bc for me, plus I didn't get periods, So I guess my question is why would you have to forgo breastfeeding with a mirena? I plan to do both again!

Here is the link to Kellymom on this topic as well: https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/birthcontrol/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @CanadianintheSouth that's wonderful to hear actually, thank you for sharing! I had been told that by a couple of people now that the dose of progesterone administered by it would interfere with nursing and it still might with my particular body, but I will definitely insist on trying the Mirena first if there's good evidence it works well. My doctor didn't seem sure and just recommended the copper one but I've heard so many horror stories about it! 
  • @silverbulletband I also first asked my ob about the copper one because no hormones sounded much better, but he is the one who steered me towards the mirena and I am grateful! The minimal localized hormones had no effect of me personally, besides stopping my periods, and I was able to get pregnant right after getting it taken out with this LO. I'm not a doctor so of course take my advice with a grain of salt, I was just curious if I was missing something when you said that  :)
  • @CanadianintheSouth no worries haha! Its all trial and error for me, never had B.C before, but all my pregnancies have been uncomplicated and my periods beforehand were light but fairly regular if that makes a difference in how my body will adjust. but Im glad to know I definitely want to try the Mirena right off the bat based on the research your information prompted me to do. :) 
  • @silverbulletband I second @CanadianintheSouth  I hope I didn't miss anything in the convo, but I too have breastfed both children while having mirena as my contraception. I didn't notice a decrease in supply and I plan to do both breastfeeding and mirena again.  
  • @C25 yes! Love it. I've read so many positive stories about the mirena and so many horror stories about the copper one, so Im definitely going with Mirena! My concern is the removal, like if it messes me up with bad bleeding or cramps etc but my insurance has expired, what am I looking at to have it taken out? :neutral: 
  • @silverbulletband I am not sure what it costs to have it removed without insurance. I honestly cannot remember what it cost with insurance, although I know it wasn't expensive. I would ask your OB at your next visit. Just tell them the same thing you told us, and they will tell you what they would charge. When I have it removed it is done in the office, he goes up with one little tool and pulls it out. So I don't think it would cost a lot. But there is a possibility that he would need to knock you out and remove it if it was a little more difficult to remove, just because it would hurt too bad to be awake, not because it wouldn't come out. (I've heard of that too but not too common) and without insurance that would be expensive! But that is rare cases that my doctor once described to me.