March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 1/30

We're all in the third trimester and the questions just keep growing!

Re: Ask a STM week 1/30

• did anyone use EPO their last pregnancy? any complications? do you think it worked/helped? 

i would most likely only be taking it orally, the vaginal thing kind of confuses me as to wear the pill casing part goes and the mess and yadda yadda. i'm already doing the date thing to help soften the cervix so it probably wouldn't be necessary? i'm just extra nervous i think bc my water broke last time and labor never started so i'm really trying to do everything i can to have a different experience.
  • did anyone use EPO their last pregnancy? any complications? do you think it worked/helped? 
    Didn't use it last time, but I was planning on asking my midwives about it too. Looks like, as with most natural things, there isn't much research. I don't think I'll take it unless I go past 40wks and am worried about forced induction, but I have weeks to go... so maybe I'll get a bit more desperate to get things moving before then ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Does Trader Joe's or Whole Foods sell dates?
  • @disneybaby84 i know the whole foods near me does.. i feel like Trader joes might be hit or miss depending on how big yours is.

the only way i've been able to choke mine down so far is with chive and onion cream cheese lol
  • no prob.. i think most costcos have them too if that's an option
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure... I bought my giant bulk bag at BJs!
     I'm sad you don't like them @Gators&BoSox! I'm obsessed. 
  • Costco' huge pack of dates is a great deal!

you can also add them to a smoothie as the sweetener if you don't like them on their own.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

i would most likely only be taking it orally, the vaginal thing kind of confuses me as to wear the pill casing part goes and the mess and yadda yadda. i'm already doing the date thing to help soften the cervix so it probably wouldn't be necessary? i'm just extra nervous i think bc my water broke last time and labor never started so i'm really trying to do everything i can to have a different experience.
    I did use it vaginally last time. It was a little messy but otherwise fine. Although I can't tell you if it helped or not. I really don't think anyone could. I just figured there was no harm so why not? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took two EPO softgels with my RRL tea daily starting month 7 and it definitely helped DS get here quick and exactly on his due date. I tried inserting one vaginally and it just made A HUGE MESS so I would advise against that definitely, using it for perineal massage is more benefical. My mother swears by it just to encourage the natural flow of things and it worked for me! 
  • @kjd291 i think that part of the issue is they remind me of something else and it grosses me out. i won't mention what it is though bc i don't want to potentially ruin them for anyone else haha
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited January 2017
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE DATES!  This is all really just an excuse for me to gorge myself on dates every day.

@gators&bosox now you have me curious.  What do they remind you of?  Have you tried putting them in a smoothie?  I think of them as a sweet fruit so it'd be weird to eat with onions or cheese.
  • @gators&bosox is it cockroaches? Because that's what they remind me of  :D
  • @babyspice yes! they look like big ol florida cockroaches to me. Blech! lol
  • Omg you guys!
  • HappyhikerHappyhiker member
    edited January 2017
    @kjd291 i think that part of the issue is they remind me of something else and it grosses me out. i won't mention what it is though bc i don't want to potentially ruin them for anyone else haha
    DH and I joke about the cockroaches too! Fortunately for now, I like the flavor, especially chopped up and added to other things like yogurt or oatmeal. The resemblance is gone then.
  • haha I'm thinking of hiding them in a bagel and cream cheese sandwich... throw some bacon on that bad boy too 
  • @datalover13 you're too funny..i'm just trying to avoid Pit and that damn hep lock with everything I have
  • @datalover13 hahah. I can absolutely appreciate that! As much as I hated being induced last go around, I'm realizing how it was at least nice to have a scheduled time(ish) when baby would arrive!! 
    I'm also not on team "get baby out" (**yet) but team avoid the mean nasty Pit!! 
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited January 2017
    Does Trader Joe's or Whole Foods sell dates?
    Costco sells huge plants of dried dated for relatively cheap :) (they are not pitted, though, so that's mildly annoying)

ETA I should really read the whole thread before replying, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a question about how much and what kind of baby clothes I should have on hand. I know you never know what size baby will be till he's born but I want to be ready just in case. Any suggestions on how to stock baby's closet?
  • @Gators&BoSox FWIW, I found it helpful :)
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• I love dates! They are good in smoothies or even in energy bites as a sweetener - if you throw some peanut butter, almonds, cashews, dates, coconut in a food processor then hand mix in a few chocolate chips, roll them into bite sized balls and refridgerate.... you won't even taste them. 

Also at my whole foods they sell these "date rolls" they don't look like dates but they are rolled in coconut flakes and they are always merchandised with the bananas. Pretty good if you don't like the texture of just a pitted dried date. And if you like coconut. 

When did you ladies on the date train start eating them? I still have 8 weeks to go. I really want to go into natural labor bc they are saying they will induce me at 40w if not since I'm AMA. But I don't want to go too early! 
  • @jenny0228 in the study the women started at 36 weeks. personally i've been eating a few a day and will up it to the 6 a day at 35 weeks just incase labor wants to start early
  • Just remembered a piece of advice about NB/ 0-3 clothes - you might want to avoid clothes with buttons and snaps.  The tiny little snaps got to be a real pain with all the diaper changes.  Lining them up, getting to the end and realizing you were off by one snap and having to start over, etc.  The zippers are SO MUCH easier, especially since early on you'll be changing 10-12 diapers per day - that's a lot of outfits being opened and closed.  The button/snap outfits may look cute but MAN, what a pain.
  • This may be a dumb question, but what is EPO everyone keeps talking about?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie it stands for evening primrose oil
  • npaulie           

not dumb I just goggled it

evening primrose

• @npaulie yah! The study that they did had women eating 4 a day for 3weeks prior to labor-and it showed as beneficial! so sounds like you're good ;)
  • Cbeanz said:
    Just remembered a piece of advice about NB/ 0-3 clothes - you might want to avoid clothes with buttons and snaps.  The tiny little snaps got to be a real pain with all the diaper changes.  Lining them up, getting to the end and realizing you were off by one snap and having to start over, etc.  The zippers are SO MUCH easier, especially since early on you'll be changing 10-12 diapers per day - that's a lot of outfits being opened and closed.  The button/snap outfits may look cute but MAN, what a pain.
    I'm the opposite. I hated zipper sleepnplays but loved the snaps! Something about the feel of them I think. 

But seriously the best things ever are those sleep gowns with the elastic bottoms. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is a pretty specific question bit hope someone can help me out. I'm curious about how the ped selection process works after baby is here. I have KP and was told that if I don't choose a ped, baby will automatically be assigned one. But how do I select one for him, since he technically isn't here yet?..
  • @VeeMore First I would see if there's anyone that you know that can recommend a ped. If not, you can select a ped based off of location. I ended up picking our ped since her office is literally 2 minutes from our house and I checked with my insurance online to make sure that she was in network. Once you find one that you might want to go with, you can call the doctor's office to find out how you can go about meeting them. Some offices do meet and greet days, or you can make an appt to meet one on one with the ped to ask any questions. Once your ped is selected, you'll call when the baby's born to make the first appt, which is usually within the first week of baby's life. 
  • Cbeanz said:
    Just remembered a piece of advice about NB/ 0-3 clothes - you might want to avoid clothes with buttons and snaps.  The tiny little snaps got to be a real pain with all the diaper changes.  Lining them up, getting to the end and realizing you were off by one snap and having to start over, etc.  The zippers are SO MUCH easier, especially since early on you'll be changing 10-12 diapers per day - that's a lot of outfits being opened and closed.  The button/snap outfits may look cute but MAN, what a pain.
    YES! Totally this! I HATED snap onsies and only used them when it was time to do laundry. A zipper was 100 times easier during those middle of the night changes. 
  • @VeeMore I agree with literally everything @kiyamurph said above. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am also a big fan of the sleepers with the elastic bottoms! That was/will be my go to!
  • Just to add to the ped debate. Depending on your insurance, some doctors have visiting rights at the hospital. I used Yelp and other review sites to pick out DD ped and they also had rights to the hospital, so her doctor saw her when she was like a day or two old in the hospital and then at her office for her first appt a week or so later. I thought that was kind of helpful so there was continuity.
  • I think my OB will end up being LO's pediatrician- she does a bunch of different "trades" at the clinic we see her in including post natal and pediatric visits which will make it easy for everyone to just stick with who we know and a location we know haha. She's wonderful so I couldn't be happier that its turning out that way! 
  • If your pediayeiciandoesnt have rights at the hospital it's not too big of a deal. You make an appt with your pediatrician right after the birth and they get all the info from you about weight at the hospital/etc. A pediatrician on staff will look after your little one in the hospital if that's the case. 
    BabyFruit Ticker