February 2017 Moms

Names

1131415161719»

Re: Names

• I'm envisioning the Clara pronunciation from Doctor Who.  I'm bad at explaining phonetics...  Like far-uh, but with a CL.  The whole correcting thing has, unfortunately, probably pushed it off the list.  But, we still have plenty of other names (hooray?).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 YES! I was pronouncing your name correctly! +1 to people getting my last name wrong constantly. It is so freaking annoying bc my name is pronounced EXACTLY like it is spelled.

@floatingelephy LOL to pronouncing Clara "peter" :)

@MLRocha I still love Clara (either pronunciation) as a name but your others are gorgeous too- I don't think you have a bad choice!
  • Loading the player...
  • @MLRocha For your boys I like Colton (would have been DD's name if she was a boy), Chase, and Quentin. Girl names I like are Amelia, Claire, and Caitlyn (I also like Quinn, but am biased because my nephew is Quinn and I associate it with a boy).
  • I am so glad we aren't the only ones who aren't completely sure.

Girl name? No problem! First conversation we had about names and it was a done deal- name, nn, mn, all agreed upon.... and then we found out we are having a boy. 6 months of name discussions later, I think we are 99% sure we are going with Lincoln Michael.

Then we were watching Friends reruns, and the name Hemingway came up, and I said awwwwwwwwww I kind of love that! but theres no good way to shorten it. Hubby grins and just says Hemi and nods excitedly. I shouldnt have said anything. I think he is over that though. (I hope)
  • @CarsAndLove I think you should stick with Lincoln Michael! That's a really cute name and honors a historical figure without being such a mouthful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another one still completely undecided on a name. I was starting to get a little nervous, but now I'm just kinda whatever about it. We will pick one when the time is right. We haven't really been disagreeing so much as not actually having many discussions about it honestly. 
  • Guys. I woke up with this realization that I don't like the two names I had picked out before and I simply couldn't picture myself naming my kid either of them. 
    So I've been googling names. 
    But in all honestly, do you all think Gracen is the absolute worst name for a little girl? My mom and H likes it. But I'm a little worried that strangers will side eye me forever for naming my daughter a variation of the name Grayson. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger I'm pretty open to a lot of names but I'm not a fan of that for a girl. What else you got? 
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger  I like Gracen. My DD is Aven and she frequently gets called Ava when we introduce her to others. So you may get people accidentally shortening it to Grace maybe, if they think they misheard you. From a very young age my daughter would tell people her name and then spell it to them so they won't botch it. 
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger
    I love Grace and I love Grayson (traditional spelling), but I'm not a fan of Gracen :/ Being perfectly honest, I thought it was a typo at first..
    What happened to Rosalie!?
  • Gracen is horrible. 
    I'm only being brutally honest because I love you. 
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger I'm meh on Gracen. Not the worst ever, but people will probably misspell it all the time. I don't like how it looks, for some reason.

Was Rosalie your choice before? Because I LOVE Rosalie! I may be biased though - that's my niece's name... 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger would you consider going to the hospital with a few names in mind? You may be "eh" on the names you had chosen, but once you see her it may be the perfect name. I am pretty set on my name, but I have one backup just in case we decide it doesn't fit. I have been wishy washy the past few weeks, but from talking to people that can be common at this point! 
  • Thanks for the honesty guys. lol at least I know now that the general public doesn't like it. :sweat_smile:

I told H everyone's consensus and he told me to ask you all about Scarlett (his #1 choice) 

I did have Rosalie originally, but there are too many factors that just made it sound worse over time. A lot of  it was my MIL throwing an incessant fit because it's my FIL's first wife's name. And how could her precious baby boy even think of keeping that name around. Ugh. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kirstynikolekirstynikole member
    edited February 2017
    @LivingLaVidaGinger yea I'm not a fan of Gracen either, but I've always been partial to Scarlett. And if babe comes out a ginger Scarlett would be fitting. Hehe. Regardless of what we think though, it is your kid and as long as you and H agree, that's what counts! 

Not everyone has been on board with ours, but we're like hey- it's happening. 
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger I am definitely a fan of Scarlett. I think it's really pretty! I would use it if my husband let me.
  • I love Scarlett - it's gorgeous, and if she was a redhead, even better!
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger, I agree with the others on Gracen, sorry!   Grace is very pretty alone.  I can see the point on Rosalie, how about Rosalind?   

We don't have a name yet either,  but we have a few contenders I think.   We might be arriving at the hospital with a few options, but at the moment we have

Nathaniel John 
    Samuel John
    Charles John
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm in agreement with all PP's I don't think Gracen is the way to go. I love both Rosalie and Scarlett
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger I think both Scarlett and Rosalie are great names! I'm not the biggest fan of Gracen, but I do like Grace if that is an option.

@Partyof6? I like all of your options! I don't know if you thought about this (you probably have lol) but Charles John could potentially have the nickname CJ if you are alright with that. Some people don't like nicknames like that, but I don't mind, considering both my H and my sister are DJ lol. 
  • @Partyof6? we are name buddies! Samuel is our choice and Nathaniel was a finalist. H ultimately eliminated it for being "too colonial," but I kind of liked the old school vibe. Charles I love too but it is already in use by a very close friend. So basically I'm no help at all. 

@LivingLaVidaGinger I'm with the others on Gracen but I like Rosalie, Scarlett, and plain Grace a lot. Potential UO, since you seem like you want honesty, is that Scarlett could be a bit matchy on a redhead but I know you probably won't know that for sure at birth. Rosalie was my grandma's name, and she was a redhead, so it sticks in my head as fitting somehow. 
  • Scarlett is adorable and was o e of our contenders! 
  • lol apparently H is much better at choosing names than me! He was so pleased to hear Scarlett was a hit haha

And the chances of her being a mini ging are slim. He's Puerto Rican so his brown genes will probably dominate my ginger ones. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lol apparently H is much better at choosing names than me! He was so pleased to hear Scarlett was a hit haha

And the chances of her being a mini ging are slim. He's Puerto Rican so his brown genes will probably dominate my ginger ones. 
    I was about to ask if Puerto Ricans are capable of making gingers!
  • MommaBean said:
    lol apparently H is much better at choosing names than me! He was so pleased to hear Scarlett was a hit haha

I have Mexican friends who have red headed kids. It's like a deep coppery red. 
  • MommaBean said:
    lol apparently H is much better at choosing names than me! He was so pleased to hear Scarlett was a hit haha

I have Mexican friends who have red headed kids. It's like a deep coppery red. 

• My dad is hispanic with jet black hair, my mom is the redhead. I'm a redhead, so it happens! But like @Spicyweiner said, mine is a deeper red as opposed to my son's who is ginger. 

• edited February 2017
    Well he does have some blondes in his family and quite a few red beard hairs so we'll just have to wait and see!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger im with everyone else on not loving Gracen but giving Scarlett a big thumbs up! My cousins little girl is called Scarlett & is literally the cutest little girl aswell
  • I like Gemma and Elle for our girl but SO likes traditional names like Nicole and Sarah.   Any thoughts on those?
  • birdiejobirdiejo member
    edited February 2017
    @CornchipLA a I like Elle. Nicole and Sarah are harder to get into because I know so many that are my age and when I think of a baby name I like it to be a little more unique BUT I think Sarah is really pretty and classic at the same time. 
  • @CornchipLA I don't think you can go wrong either way! My DD is Ella so I'm partial to Elle and I'm Nicole and like my name. I also like Gemma and Sarah is classic. Sorry I'm not much help lol.
  • @CornchipLA I'll add that I can't get on board with Gemma because that was the matriarch in Sons of Anarchy and she was brutal and I hated her. 
  • I love Gemma @CornchipLA, but I'm okay with any of those choices. Sarah would be my lowest choice. 
  • Ooooh thanks all!  It does make it difficult she. You know someone with the name already! 
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger, I agree with the others, Gracen is just not good. :(
    Scarlett is nice, but I also like just Rose or Grace, if she doesn't seem like a Scarlett when she's born.

@CornchipLA I think Gemma is a very nice choice (not overused and cute). Gemma Nicole maybe?
    Sarah is classic and biblical and although overused in the past, it might be more refreshing these days then trendier names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker