June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• I'm having a hard time keeping up with Savannah's demands now that I'm back at work (she shows little to no interest in food which doesn't help). So I have been taking Fenugreek, lactation cookies and drinking Powerade. I'm trying to up my water and protein intake and to add at least 1 pumping session per day.

I'm not ready to start supplementing yet because I've made it so far!

Well this morning I made a lactation smoothie with banana, yogurt, brewers yeast, flax seed, ice & oatmeal. It was literally the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted!! God BFing has taken over my life!

Anyone having issues with going back to work? Anyone have any good recipes that help boost milk production?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • annaf2011annaf2011 member
    edited January 2017
    I'm having a hard time keeping up with Savannah's demands now that I'm back at work (she shows little to no interest in food which doesn't help). So I have been taking Fenugreek, lactation cookies and drinking Powerade. I'm trying to up my water and protein intake and to add at least 1 pumping session per day.

Well this morning I made a lactation smoothie with banana, yogurt, brewers yeast, flax seed, ice & oatmeal. It was literally the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted!! God BFing has taken over my life!

Anyone having issues with going back to work? Anyone have any good recipes that help boost milk production?
    I don't have any good advice, but that smoothie you're describing sounds very healthy and impressive. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Kudos to you for being so committed!

You've probably already thought of this, but could you add in a pumping session or two on your off days? Or maybe motn or early morning if Savannah's not eating as much overnight?
  • Loading the player...
  • annaf2011 said:
    I'm having a hard time keeping up with Savannah's demands now that I'm back at work (she shows little to no interest in food which doesn't help). So I have been taking Fenugreek, lactation cookies and drinking Powerade. I'm trying to up my water and protein intake and to add at least 1 pumping session per day.

I don't have any good advice, but that smoothie you're describing sounds very healthy and impressive. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Kudos to you for being so committed!

You've probably already thought of this, but could you add in a pumping session or two on your off days? Or maybe motn or early morning if Savannah's not eating as much overnight?
    Good ideas, thanks! I added an early morning pump after I feed her while I do my makeup which will hopefully start helping after a couple of days. A MOTN pump in sure would help but I just can't bring myself to do that since I wake up at 5 for work.

Ill try pumping more this weekend, I have a 3 day weekend so maybe I'll really be able to bump up my supply if I give it a shot for 3 days.

Thanks!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I heard that having a "nurse in" works well.  On a weekend, take a couple days where you offer only breastfeeding ever 1-1.5 hours.  They also say let then sleep in bed and let them nurse through the night but I know not everyone is into that.  If not then pump after she goes to bed.
  • Abby started refusing my right boob. She fusses and pulls off until I switch her to the left side. Now I'm all lopsided and worried about the supply for my right side. Any idea what's going on? 
  • rmmorris said:
    Abby started refusing my right boob. She fusses and pulls off until I switch her to the left side. Now I'm all lopsided and worried about the supply for my right side. Any idea what's going on? 
    I'm not a breast feeder so I have limited knowledge on the topic, could the rejected breast not put out as much as the preferred and maybe that's why she is rejecting it?
  • Possible ear infection. Maybe tilting in that direction hurts?  Try holding her a different way like sitting up or having her tilt the same direction as when she eats off the left.
  • One of my boobs has a faster letdown, and sometimes LO can't deal with it. But I never would have thought of an ear infection, that's interesting.
  • Anyone else having their child straight up demand a bottle? I have been breast feeding since the beginning but had to get bottle for daycare and now supplement a bit for the times I am away but we had been very structured no bottles when mom was home, ever. Yesterday, she flat out screamed when I came near her or tried to feed her from the breast on either side. After about 10 tries and lots of screaming which is not usual for my kid, we gave her a bottle.pumping and trying to feed her but she only will seem to take the breast for late night feeds now. Very frustrating and sad for me. Any ideas on where to go from here?
  • Could your let down be too slow? Maybe she's impatient. Maybe try pumping for a bit before latching her on.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    Could your let down be too slow? Maybe she's impatient. Maybe try pumping for a bit before latching her on.
    Good idea! Thanks will try.
  • Anyone else having their child straight up demand a bottle? I have been breast feeding since the beginning but had to get bottle for daycare and now supplement a bit for the times I am away but we had been very structured no bottles when mom was home, ever. Yesterday, she flat out screamed when I came near her or tried to feed her from the breast on either side. After about 10 tries and lots of screaming which is not usual for my kid, we gave her a bottle.pumping and trying to feed her but she only will seem to take the breast for late night feeds now. Very frustrating and sad for me. Any ideas on where to go from here?
    I had this issue for awhile, it was heartbreaking! I started pumping a little bit or squeezing my boobs while I fed her in hopes the milk would come out faster.

Also, try changing positions if the above doesn't help. Sometimes laid back nursing or side laying makes Baby more comfortable.

It all went back to normal for us, and much prefers me to a bottle these days. So there is hope!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20

That happened to me when baby was about 6 months old, but she had already started getting impatient at the boob before that. We switched to mostly bottle at that point, and she never went back :( I am sad, I wish I had tried longer, but at the same time I felt like, why torture her, 6 months old is old enough to take the bottle if that's what she wants :/

That happened to me when baby was about 6 months old, but she had already started getting impatient at the boob before that. We switched to mostly bottle at that point, and she never went back :( I am sad, I wish I had tried longer, but at the same time I felt like, why torture her, 6 months old is old enough to take the bottle if that's what she wants :/

Damien started refusing at about 3 months. Nothing I tried helped, it was so disheartening. In the end, I came to terms with it and made the switch to the bottle. While I still feel sad about not breastfeeding as long as I had hoped and a bit guilty, it has been a blessing in disguise. He is a happy and healthy baby and the stress I felt during the ordeal melted away. I very much hope that she ends up taking the breast again with ease! 
  • meggyme said:
    Could your let down be too slow? Maybe she's impatient. Maybe try pumping for a bit before latching her on.
    On this note, are you using a slow flow or premier nipple on the bottle? I bought some bottles but had to buy slower flow nipples to accompany them. Might help you if they are fast or level two flow nipple on the bottle. 
  • Well I do have a size 2 nipple on it. Yes I know that makes it faster but we have used them for almost 3 months now and this change happened more recently. However we finally figured out she is willing to breastfeed in the evenings and early (before 5 am) mornings but during the day on the weekends she wants a bottle now just like the weekdays. I think she doesn't like the time it takes vs. bottle. She wants to play.
  • Any one have suggestions for a biter? He done it for a while but now he has teeth :( I facepalmed him this morning, it hurt so darn bad! I thought I might be bleeding. 
  • bankssl1 said:
    Any one have suggestions for a biter? He done it for a while but now he has teeth :( I facepalmed him this morning, it hurt so darn bad! I thought I might be bleeding. 
    bankssl1 said:
    Any one have suggestions for a biter? He done it for a while but now he has teeth :( I facepalmed him this morning, it hurt so darn bad! I thought I might be bleeding. 
    No advice, only sympathy- Savannah bit me so hrd yesterday I almost cried
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • bankssl1 said:
    Jackie did this for a little while and I would just unlatch her and close up shop for a little bit so she would connect that biting and nursing don't go together. She would do it when she would start to get distracted, so feeding her in a quieter place helped too.
  • laurenm2123 YES! I screamed in pain at least three times (H didn't even flinch at 5am this morning  :() Finally I said, OK.. You're getting a bottle this morning!

meggyme- He usually doesn't bite me this hard.. and it was hard and silent, there weren't any distractions. :neutral:. I unlatched him every time he did it but he just kept on! I guess I'll make him wait before latching on again.
  • My LO does both the biting and the twist-pinching. The biting usually happens when DH comes into the room saying something and she jerks her head to look at him, keeping my boob in her mouth. I scream "OWWW!!!" and she turns back, still clenching my boob with her gums, looking at me like, what's up?
  • Lizbeth86 YEP. Jack has done this before too. I think our nursing days are over.. which really sucks for a few reasons! Now I have to get up and make a bottle for him at 4am instead of just putting my boob in his mouth  :'(
  • So between having the stomach bug and mystery fever all within a week's time, plus Cora having the same, her lack of nursing and my 7lb weight loss has hurt my supply, but worse, has tripled my let-down time. I'm trying to nurse as much as possible, while working full time, but she gets sooooo frustrated when the milk won't flow. Any ideas? I hardly let down at all when I pump, so that doesn't help (10 minutes yielded 1.25 oz from both sides 5 hours after my last nursing session today).
  • tucrew said:
    So between having the stomach bug and mystery fever all within a week's time, plus Cora having the same, her lack of nursing and my 7lb weight loss has hurt my supply, but worse, has tripled my let-down time. I'm trying to nurse as much as possible, while working full time, but she gets sooooo frustrated when the milk won't flow. Any ideas? I hardly let down at all when I pump, so that doesn't help (10 minutes yielded 1.25 oz from both sides 5 hours after my last nursing session today).
    Maybe try hand expression. It might be more similar to LO's tongue and get things going for her.
  • tucrew said:
    So between having the stomach bug and mystery fever all within a week's time, plus Cora having the same, her lack of nursing and my 7lb weight loss has hurt my supply, but worse, has tripled my let-down time. I'm trying to nurse as much as possible, while working full time, but she gets sooooo frustrated when the milk won't flow. Any ideas? I hardly let down at all when I pump, so that doesn't help (10 minutes yielded 1.25 oz from both sides 5 hours after my last nursing session today).
     Ugh I had this issue.  Weight loss from PPD slowed my letdown.  I started drinking 3 ensure shakes a day an some mothers milk tea.  It's amazing the difference in my milk after doing that for a week.
  • @adiaz132003 did you have to supplement from the freezer or with formula during that time? I just spent almost an hour trying to nurse her, and she only got a small amount from one side, nothing from the other. She slugged down 4oz when I pulled some milk from the freezer and is finally back to sleep. She lost over 1/2lb, after already being a low-weight concern, so I'm hesitant to strictly go with the supply/demand, since my supply is so low and I don't want her to lose any more weight. I'm definitely trying to nurse her a lot, but feel at some point she just needs the calories. 
  • tucrew said:
    @adiaz132003 did you have to supplement from the freezer or with formula during that time? I just spent almost an hour trying to nurse her, and she only got a small amount from one side, nothing from the other. She slugged down 4oz when I pulled some milk from the freezer and is finally back to sleep. She lost over 1/2lb, after already being a low-weight concern, soI'm hesitant to strictly go with the supply/demand, since my supply is so low and I don't want her to lose any more weight. I'm definitely trying to nurse her a lot, but feel at some point she just needs the calories. 
     No I just kept at it but Preston wasn't losing any weight, he also has about 200-300 cal of solids a day.  I would say offer the breast like every hour and a half during the day and do lots of breast compressions while she nurses so ever drop comes out.  Then supplement if she's still hungry and pump like an hour or two after she goes to bed.  Eventually you supply will go back up.  What you want to avoid is skipping feedings.  Always let her have whatever is in there first then top her off. But feeding more frequently should really help.  Keep a close eye on her diapers and make sure her pee isn't getting dark.
  • Everyone talking about planning the first birthday has me thinking... is anyone planning on buying themselves something to celebrate a year of nursing? If we make it to a year (especially without supplementing) I want to buy myself something nice. Both as a reminder of that part of my relationship with Savannah and as a reward for sticking with something that was a times so tough. 

Anyone else? Or do I just have a problem with spending money? Haha
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Everyone talking about planning the first birthday has me thinking... is anyone planning on buying themselves something to celebrate a year of nursing? If we make it to a year (especially without supplementing) I want to buy myself something nice. Both as a reminder of that part of my relationship with Savannah and as a reward for sticking with something that was a times so tough. 

I hadn't considered this (nor have I started planning the 1st Birthday party... I'm in denial that C will be 8 months in a week as it is!) but I think it's a brilliant idea. Hmmm... what do I want... a new Kate Spade bag? A commemorative piece of jewelry? A new tattoo? Decisions decisions...
  • My friend's LO will be a year on Valentine's day and plans to wean after that so as a reward to herself she is getting a tattoo.

Probably not what you're going for at all, but you can actually get jewelry made from your breast milk. If it doesnt gross you out, and I'm not going to lie I'm not super keen, you can get a ring or pendant made to commemorate breastfeeding that also looks like classy jewelry
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018

Probably not what you're going for at all, but you can actually get jewelry made from your breast milk. If it doesnt gross you out, and I'm not going to lie I'm not super keen, you can get a ring or pendant made to commemorate breastfeeding that also looks like classy jewelry
    I've seen that! I haven't decided how I feel about it TBH. Part of me thinks it's super awesome and part of me thinks it's a little much.. I also imagine the look on friends faces if I told them what it was :p
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Just got to Amsterdam for my week long work trip and discovered that my Medela Instyle Advance pump DOES NOT WORK in Europe even with the European outlet adapter. My only option is the battery pack (which is so much less efficient) or a car adapter (I don't have a car here!) I'm livid and so afraid I won't be able to keep up my supply this week. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but I didn't think my breast pump would be the problem.

I wanted to share since I remember @laurenm2123  you're going to be in Europe soon so check out if your pump has the same problem. Apparently it states this in the manual but I never would have considered it.
  • lac1252 said:
    Just got to Amsterdam for my week long work trip and discovered that my Medela Instyle Advance pump DOES NOT WORK in Europe even with the European outlet adapter. My only option is the battery pack (which is so much less efficient) or a car adapter (I don't have a car here!) I'm livid and so afraid I won't be able to keep up my supply this week. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but I didn't think my breast pump would be the problem.

I wanted to share since I remember @laurenm2123  you're going to be in Europe soon so check out if your pump has the same problem. Apparently it states this in the manual but I never would have considered it.
    Shitty!!! Maybe find a hand pump?
  • lac1252 said:
    Just got to Amsterdam for my week long work trip and discovered that my Medela Instyle Advance pump DOES NOT WORK in Europe even with the European outlet adapter. My only option is the battery pack (which is so much less efficient) or a car adapter (I don't have a car here!) I'm livid and so afraid I won't be able to keep up my supply this week. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but I didn't think my breast pump would be the problem.

Thanks so much for sharing! I actually use my battery pack a lot and it works okay, I hope you have yours! I just bought the NUK hand battery pump for $30 and it works pretty well, it's only a single so not as time efficient but an option if you find one there.

I would just massage before each pump and do a lot of hand compressions while you pump to keep your supply up. Stay hydrated and eat oatmeal for breakfast! When you come home you can always power pump, eat lactation cookies and drink the mothers milk tea to boost your supply once you're home.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Thanks for the advice, ladies!! Now that I've calmed down a bit about it I think it will be ok. Thankfully i did also pack my battery pack and hand pump so, while it will take a bit longer, I still can make it work.

Also, 2 whole days away from Charlotte already and it's so hard! I just keep scrolling through the pics and video on my phone. Thank god for free wifi everywhere here and FaceTime!!
  • I sort of miss the days of feeling engorged. I know my body is just regulated to what Savannah needs, but the engorgement was really reassuring that she was getting enough milk.

Anyone else?

I just had a really bad pumping session so I think I'm feeling a little defeated today :|
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I sort of miss the days of feeling engorged. I know my body is just regulated to what Savannah needs, but the engorgement was really reassuring that she was getting enough milk.

Anyone else?

I just had a really bad pumping session so I think I'm feeling a little defeated today :|
    I can relate, it feels really good to know that there is plenty of supply. (I still get this sometimes because S is really sporadic in whether and how much he eats overnight.) Pumping, and having to count ounces, makes it way worse. When I start to worry, I just try to focus on what a sweet, chunky baby I have and trust that he is getting what he needs. Hang in there!
  • Working Mamas, how often and how much are you pumping/nursing now? 
    I'm trying to figure out when I can cut back to one pump at work. 
    Right now, I pump one side first thing in the morning and then nurse her on the other. That pumped bottle is usually 5 ounces. And she gets it at the next feeding. 
    At work I pump twice, getting 9-10 ounces total (2 bottles for the next day)
    I nurse her when we get home between 3:30-4:30 and again before bed. She doesn't wake up in the motn.
    So she's getting 6 feedings a day. We're working on solids now which she gets dinner and we starting to add in lunch. 

I guess the other thing is I'm at a loss about solids. How much are your little ones eating a day? How often? 
  • arteduc8 said:
    Working Mamas, how often and how much are you pumping/nursing now? 
    I'm trying to figure out when I can cut back to one pump at work. 
    Right now, I pump one side first thing in the morning and then nurse her on the other. That pumped bottle is usually 5 ounces. And she gets it at the next feeding. 
    At work I pump twice, getting 9-10 ounces total (2 bottles for the next day)
    I nurse her when we get home between 3:30-4:30 and again before bed. She doesn't wake up in the motn.
    So she's getting 6 feedings a day. We're working on solids now which she gets dinner and we starting to add in lunch. 

I guess the other thing is I'm at a loss about solids. How much are your little ones eating a day? How often? 
    Savannah nurses between 5:30-6, and I try to pump after while I do my makeup but it doesnt always happen. I pump at 9 at work, 1 at work and nurse at about 4:30 and 6:30 when we get home. She generally eats once in the MOTN.

She drinks 3 4oz bottles at daycare each day so 12oz. I've been trying to pump 16oz a day so that I have one extra bottle each day to freeze at the end of the week. (I'm going to Paris for 5 days and need to have enough milk to leave DH)

I've had low supply this week so I am going to push myself to pump before bed which would be 4x/day (yuck!)

As for solids- she has either yogurt, oatmeal or fruit purée with puffs for breakfast and a vegetable purée with 1 or 2 teething biscuits for lunch when she's at daycare.

For dinner we do BLW and give her some of whatever we are having, or a fruit/veggie with puffs if we can't make our dinner safe enough for her.

Our routine is not really set in stone, but I try to introduce her to new foods whenever possible and give her as much food as she can feed herself and experiment with at home when we are watching her closely. For example, Tonight she had puréed prunes and an orange cut in tiny pieces for dinner, which isn't exactly well balanced or traditional dinner food. But Last night she had mashed potatoes, cut up chicken and puréed peas with spinach because our dinner was super easy to make appropriate for her.

Sorry this was a legit novel.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20