3rd Trimester

Group B Positive

JessHam55JessHam55 member
edited February 2017 in 3rd Trimester
I found out yesterday that I am GBS+. This is my fourth pregnancy and I have never had it before. My doctor literally said "oh by the way your GBS+" smiled and that was it. No info, nothing. So I got online and did some research (everyone knows that's a bad idea). After reading article after article I am angry, scared, and disappointed. I am angry because my entire birth plan is being changed and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. My plan was to labor at home then go to the hospital. I am angry that I will be stuck in there for lord only knows how long. I just feel like this will be the worst birth experience. I don't like being out of my comfort zone and at the hospital not only am I out of that zone but I have to deal with people I don't know, I get pushed around and told what I can or can't do, how things have to go, and they always want to be hands on and interfere when it's not necessary. On top of that I will be alone for the majority of it. I have 3 other kids that need to be looked after and the people who will be doing that are the only two people I have as a support group. Needless to say I feel like this experience is going to be filled with anger, bitterness, and dread. I didn't want to bring my baby into the world that way. I'm scared because of all the things that could potentially happen should everything not go exactly a certain way. Their way. And then there is disappointment. I'm disappointed that there was no way to prevent this. That nothing I could have done would have changed it. That there is nothing that can be done to prevent the inevitable. It's all wrong. Everything has been messed up because of a stupid bacteria. Time is running out and I am dreading having this baby. I just need some words of encouragement. Anything. 

Re: Group B Positive

• meggymemeggyme member
    edited February 2017
    JessHam55 said:
    I found out yesterday that I am GBS+. This is my fourth pregnancy and I have never had it before. My doctor literally said "oh by the way your GBS+" smiled and that was it. No info, nothing. So I got online and did some research (everyone knows that's a bad idea). After reading article after article I am angry, scared, and disappointed. I am angry because my entire birth plan is being changed and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. My plan was to labor at home then go to the hospital. I am angry that I will be stuck in there for lord only knows how long. I just feel like this will be the worst birth experience. I don't like being out of my comfort zone and at the hospital not only am I out of that zone but I have to deal with people I don't know, I get pushed around and told what I can or can't do, how things have to go, and they always want to be hands on and interfere when it's not necessary. On top of that I will be alone for the majority of it. I have 3 other kids that need to be looked after and the people who will be doing that are the only two people I have as a support group. Needless to say I feel like this experience is going to be filled with anger, bitterness, and dread. I didn't want to bring my baby into the world that way. I'm scared because of all the things that could potentially happen should everything not go exactly a certain way. Their way. And then there is disappointment. I'm disappointed that there was no way to prevent this. That nothing I could have done would have changed it. That there is nothing that can be done to prevent the inevitable. It's all wrong. Everything has been messed up because of a stupid bacteria. Time is running out and I am dreading having this baby. I just need some words of encouragement. Anything. 

I gave birth with GBS and the only thing they did to treat it was give a couple bags of antibiotics once in the hospital. You should still be able to labor at home for a good amount of time before going in. Once you have the antibiotics, there is very little risk to you and baby. If there are any other concerns specific to this, definitely ask your doctor. It'll help take some of that stress away.

As for giving birth alone, could one of the two people you trust go with you and maybe the other stay home with the kids. Maybe they can recruit some help from another friend you know but might not have trusted as the sole caretaker of your kids.

if that doesn't work out, maybe consider a doula so that you have someone in the delivery room just for you. They can also be an advocate to help you have the birth you want to have. If nothing else, it'll be someone you know going in.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Not gonna lie, I am most definitely stressing out. From what I have read it could go one of two ways either everything will be perfectly fine or it will go horribly terribly wrong. My two support people are my mom and my husband. This might sound crappy but I would be perfectly fine leaving my hubby at home. My mom has to be there. I wish I had someone else that could watch them. As far as a doula goes I'm not even sure where to look for one. I know midwives would have to travel 4+ hours to see me. I have never looked in to doulas. 
  • Loading the player...
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited February 2017
    Try Dona.org or check with your hospital. Some hospitals have doula programs.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I have it too, and it didn't change their recommendations about when they want me to arrive. They even said I could still have freedom of movement with the IV in and hydrate using fluids. Check with your doc-it may not change things quite as much as you think. 
  • I had it. Labored at home for 20 hours and then went in when my water broke. They just give you a bag of antibiotics every four hours, and they want you to have two doses before baby comes, if I remember correctly. It was just mixed in with my IV that I would have had anyway at delivery. It was no problem at all. Don't read the horror stories. 
  • ladylolly89ladylolly89 member
    edited February 2017
    I was GBS+ with my son. Like PPs have said, it really changes nothing except that they have to give you two doses of antibiotics before you give birth. They also didn't want me to labor at home after my water broke (no worries there; I was induced).
    I don't know what your birth plan entails, but GBS didn't stop me from having an fairly fast, pain med-free, vaginal birth. I was allowed to get up and move around as I pleased, both during and after. For me, GBS was no big deal, and certainly nothing to stress about. 
  • It sounds like you need to grieve the loss of your vision of what this delivery would look like. I would recommend, if you are still feeling this angry and upset to go talk to someone before labour that can help you work through your (very real and very justified) emotions.

I'm a FTM, currently on bedrest to prevent preterm labour. The one thing I've learned about this process is there is not any guarantees. After 3 years of infertility, thousands of dollars in IVF, pregnancy loss, and months of bedrest (hopefully) I've learned that a baby, however they enter this world and however they created and get into your arms is a miracle. You have every right to be bitter and angry and upset, you were robbed of how things were supposed to be. Take time to grieve, you deserve to be happy and you can have that even if things don't go according to plan. I'm sorry if anything I wrote sounds harsh, it's sent to you with the best intentions because it seems like you're really hurting/scared/overwhelmed right now 
  • There are other options....do some research, but

- start on probiotics
    - ask them to restest you once your in labor, could be negative by then
    There are also some other alternatives to antibiotics, including douching with Hibiclens during labor.
  • I was GBS+ with my son. Like PPs have said, it really changes nothing except that they have to give you two doses of antibiotics before you give birth. They also didn't want me to labor at home after my water broke (no worries there; I was induced).
    I don't know what your birth plan entails, but GBS didn't stop me from having an fairly fast, pain med-free, vaginal birth. I was allowed to get up and move around as I pleased, both during and after. For me, GBS was no big deal, and certainly nothing to stress about. 
    This ^^^ I wouldn't stress out untill you talk to your doctor and see how they plan to treat you and let him know your birth plan. I also was GBS+ and it didn't change anything for me.