May 2017 Moms

Birth Control after baby?

2»

Re: Birth Control after baby?

• After discussing this with H last night, I'm now leaning towards using condoms for the first 6-12 months and then getting the arm implant (Nexplanon) until we're ready to try for #2. My assumption, since Nexplanon uses progesterone, is that it would have similar possible side effects as the mini pill (mainly supply reduction). I'm planning on asking my doctor more about Nexplanon and the copper IUD, though. H didn't seem put out by the prospect of using condoms for a while, though, and I'd really love to not have to worry about taking pills or having possible supply issues.
  • @march2008 that's an interesting story.  I was planning on not going back on OCP (I was on for 10 years prior to TTC this child).  We had primary but unexplained infertility and I am approaching AMA so we had decided to not go back on birth control after this baby. I guess after hearing your story I will get back into contact with my RE and ask him what he thinks.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to discuss this with my OB at either February or March's appointment. I've taken things like yaz and Orthotricyclen lo before without anything, but potentially some weight gain.

I did have Mirena IUD for about 6 months and will not do that again.
                 -Like someone else said, sometimes H could feel the strings
                 - I kept getting UTI's. Like, monthly. I had a Dr. say that it doesn't cause them, but they started about a month after I got it and lasted until I had it removed, so....??
                 -I got horrible cystic acne. The dermatologist said the lack of hormones ( I think) could've caused this and removing the IUD could help clear it up. I switched face washes and had it removed and the acne cleared. It has not returned, even during pregnancy, so IDK.

I think I'll just go on whatever mini pill the Dr. suggests that I can BF on.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited January 2017
    @CCNellans My understanding is that if your having a csection you can simply sign the consents to also have your tubes tied at the same time. If your having a vaginal delivery it would be something that would be discussed at your follow-up appointment. 
    My SIL had Esure shortly after her last baby and it was an in office procedure. 
    This is just speculation, but I cant imagine that your insurance would cover a complete histerectomy simply as a birth control option. There would have to be some underlying medical conditions that would warrant the need to have everything removed. I also can't imagine your doctor approving it unless there were some reason. That's a rather extensive surgery, even if you are already open during a csection. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • My OB brought this up at my last appt. I, too, am interested in the copper IUD @shadeofgreen816. She told me it can prolong periods, increase bleeding and cramping. Not the best selling points but it is hormone free. Although reading all of these experiences makes me want to inquire more about going hormone free vs not. 

After my first, I started on the mini pill and had no problems but it was a PITA to remember to take at the SAME TIME EVERYDAY with sleep deprivation and a newborn to care for.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• h&pmomma said:
    @CCNellans My understanding is that if your having a csection you can simply sign the consents to also have your tubes tied at the same time. If your having a vaginal delivery it would be something that would be discussed at your follow-up appointment. 
    My SIL had Esure shortly after her last baby and it was an in office procedure. 
    This is just speculation, but I cant imagine that your insurance would cover a complete histerectomy simply as a birth control option. There would have to be some underlying medical conditions that would warrant the need to have everything removed. I also can't imagine your doctor approving it unless there were some reason. That's a rather extensive surgery, even if you are already open during a csection. 
    All of this

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @CCNellans with DS2 I had a schedule RCS and my OB asked if I wanted a lgation done at the same time. We weren't done so we declined. But this time I am bringing it up at my next appointment to have it all done at once.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Anyone else doing NFP or FAM? (Tracking cycles/ BBT and CM,  TTA instead of TTC) I feel like the odd man out, haha.   We have done NFP in the past and it has worked well for us!  We are planning to continue in the future as well.  
  • I did NFP between my first loss and DS2 and my loss in 2015 and this pregnancy. It really worked for us. If we weren't sure about being done, that is what we would do again.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• We were planning on my husband getting snipped, but I'm starting to feel like maybe we should do condoms for a while first because getting snipped seems so final. Financially (and probably emotionally) all we can handle for a while will be dd and the twins, but what if down the road we want another? I'm not sure how to go about it because I will not use hormonal birth controls. I did for two years and it messed me all up. I was depressed, had no sex drive, weird periods, and then when we were ready to conceive it didn't go well. I also worry about all the long term side effects because there are already so many things that run in our family, and as if I need another reason, I am horribly forgetful and I know Dh would be worried I hadn't taken it and would probably drive me crazy unless we used a condom too so why not forget the birth control and just use condoms anyway. The only thing about that is I hate condoms... they kind of ruin the moment and I don't want to use them indefinitely.
  • Thanks guys! Sorry, was being facetious about the hysterectomy, I know that's very intensive, but gee it'd be nice to just get rid of the whole thing at once, ha! 

I will ask doc about options at my next appt. This is def my last kiddo.
    DS Born 1/12/13 - Molar Pregnancy 3/2014/D&C 3/2015 - EDD with Baby #2 May 26th, 2017

• My sister who is 20 years older than me has 4 kids. Her hubby had a vasectomy after the fourth and she said it was incredibly emotional when he did it and came home. She said she burst into tears. Even though they knew that was it she said it is still the loss of that phase of your life. Such a hard decision! That's why we decided to table the issue until I'm 35. Maybe I'll be more levelheaded by then and we can decide. Plus, DH will be 40 and feels like he'll want to either have one more or be done. We shall see. 
    Thanks for the input. I plan to ask the OB about the pill side effects and the IUD. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had the implanon (arm implant) after DS, BFing wasn't as concern with him, but I hated it, it itched constantly and hurt, made me gain weight like crazy which I still haven't lost and periods were heavy and unpredictable, I got it out less than 12 months later, periods didn't return for another 12 months after that, I then took the pill for 3 months before stopping that to TTC
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • I've never heard anything positive about the Implanon! It's last on my list of BC options for sure. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • @starphish18 @mrsrep123 I had the copper IUD and can definitely vouch for the longer periods (went from 3 days every month to 7/8 days), the heavier bleeding, and more intense cramps. The cramps were worse for me than my usual but were manageable. I have a friend who had hers removed because the cramps became unbearable. If whoever inserts it leaves the string long enough, it'll actually curl around your cervix so your partner may feel it but it'll be blunt and not the cut end of a plastic string. My partner said he could feel it but it didn't bother him. My IUD expelled after just over 11 months of having it, it wasn't painful but was shocking seeing it in my hand. 

I am still thinking of getting it again, despite the handful of negative side effects. It's worth it to stay hormone free, to me. It's also cheaper than the hormonal IUD. 

:smile:
  • @ShadeofGreen816 , you might be right and a non-estrogen pill could be fine re: clotting risk. I'm not sure because BCPs have come a long way since my clot 7 years ago. At the time, my doctors advised me against all pill options and told me that an IUD would be my best bet if we were super opposed to condoms. We decided ultimately that given how my body reacts to pretty much everything in a strange way, we'd just stick to condoms because it wasn't worth the risk. It's great to see that there are so many options on the market these days!!

Re: getting your tubes tied during a C-section, my SIL did that a few years ago. She said it was hard to tell if her recovery was more painful because of the C-section or the tube tying (because her other 2 were vaginal deliveries), but she did say it was a pretty rough time. I think if I was headed into a C-section, I wouldn't do the tube tying and would still have my DH do the vasectomy. It just seems like an easier surgery and I wouldn't want to add potential complications from the tube tying onto the already hectic post birth weeks, but that's just me. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited January 2017
    @ShadeofGreen816 The Catholic Hospital not doing the tubal ligation is something people often forget about! I remember telling my SIL that she wouldn't be able to get it done and she said "they will do what I tell them, I'm not Catholic". She definitely wasn't happy when she was wrong! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Thank you all! This thread kicked ass! Can't wait to talk to OB more about the options I didn't even consider until reading this! Haha!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH will be finding the scissors! :) we are pregnant with our twins and our son is 9 mos old. I was on the pill and nursing after DS was born and we used condoms. As we all know, it only takes one time unprotected to get pregnant, but we thought with the pill we would be ok. Surprise!!!!! With our 14yo,11yo and 9mo and now the twins we have decided no more surprises. He will get a vasectomy and if we ever want number 6 we will try for a reversal. 
  • This is something DH and I have discussed but haven't decided on. I've been off the pill since we started TTC in 2014. I was on the pill for 9 years prior to stopping. I'm not at all interested in being on the pill again, though I've had no real side effects while I was taking it. I took the same brand for just about all of that time period as well. I'm just tired of taking it.
     We are not condom fans so that's off the table, I'm not interested in the patch- I can see myself forgetting that one too often, the shot I'm not interested in because of all the side effects, not wanting the risks of an IUD, soooooo that leaves us with nuva ring or pull & pray. Because it took some time to conceive the first pregnancy, plus then with this pregnancy we had some unexplained challenges, part of me thinks it'll take that long again when we want a second baby, and then the other part of me feels like we will end up with "Irish twins". 
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 26 DH: 28  
    TTC #1 since 06/2014
    BFP #1 09/23/15. MMC discovered 11/24/2015
    BFP #2 08/24/16 EDD 05/08/17

• I've tentatively decided on Mirena once this kid is out, since it lasts for a few years. By that point, I'll be nearing 35 and we will know for sure if we want to shoot for #3. If we decide against it, then DH will be getting snipped. However, I'm a little concerned about the availability/cost of Mirena in a few months...
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• museic-2museic-2 member
    edited January 2017
    I was on the pill for about 10 years before TTC, and we were lucky (and surprised!) that it only took a month and a half to find out we were expecting this little one. I'd like the next one to be about 2yrs later, but DH hates hates hates condoms, and IUDs still freak me out, although a lot of my friends have had success with them. So mini pill will probably be our answer.
    Only thing is with the pill I just took it around the same time in the morning, sometimes a few hours later if I slept in...and missed it a couple times in those 10 years but played it safe with condoms after. I'm worried I won't take it at the right time every day and we'll end up with #2 earlier than expected considering how quickly this LO came along. DH could care less, he wants the kids one after another lol but I'd like a little break in between! I'm thinking maybe setting a daily timer? Has anyone taken the mini pill at night instead of morning?
    *edit- I also plan to breast feed and am concerned about the mini pill diminishing supply. I wish there were more options! Curious about talking with my OB about all this.

• @museic: I took the mini pill at night with no problems. Setting a timer is a good idea; just have your phone's alarm go off at the same time every day to remind you. Re: diminishing supply: Chances are, you won't be fooling around for that first month postpartum, which is enough time to establish BFing, get your diet settled, see what foods affect your supply, etc., and you'll likely have that squared away before you start taking the BC pill. IF there's a supply issue, tackle it then, but I wouldn't stress about it now because only some people notice a difference anyway. Remember: water water water. All the time. Have a cup/bottle/backup supply in every room. If you BF, you'll be thirsty!  :)
  • @SKZW Thank you for the advice, that is all good to hear!