March 2017 Moms
Options

Glucose Test

124»

Re: Glucose Test

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I called my OB's office today because I'm not having my class with the dietician until tomorrow night. They basically said my numbers sound normal for what I've been eating, and it may be that I need to eat more carbs... But to discuss with the dietician.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @minger86 not to be nosey but I agree that you may need to eat more carbs. Obviously discuss with your dietitian first but I have been doing at least 60 g of carb (4 carb servings) at each meal and 15-30 for snack which is approximately what I do for most patients who need to eat at least 1800 calories/day. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi ladies! I'm new here, due March 28. I need to vent and I've been lurking these boards for awhile and have gained so much new information. Today I was diagnosed with the dreaded GD :( I have been crying since I got the call .... I'm so frustrated! Not to mention that nurse told me to call the insurance company to find out what glucometer is covered by my insurance and when I did the guy on the phone was a complete jerk. He verbally harassed me and I had to hang up on him :( I know that of everyone of you ladies would understand! 
  • Options
    @ashley14598 sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I always find insurance companies a pain to deal with so I hope you can get your answers sooner than later. Hopefully once you get some more info and get into the groove of the diet you won't be so upset. Also, feel free to join in more! We're probably the friendliest group of internet strangers around lol
  • Options
    @ashley14598 - sometimes the dietitian's office will have a list of what is preferred by each insurance company.  don't fret too much!  I was also diagnosed with GD.  It's been a rough couple of days....Still getting used to my carb counting, and have found what I can eat and when.  It's not terrible, just a lot of practice and patience.  Good luck!  Also in regard to insurance - I know my insurance company provides a Motherhood special line (my words are not coming to me!), where I get assigned a nurse and she calls to check in.  If you have someone you can directly contact, you could try that too....but again...the dietitian may have a list of preferred glucometers.  

sorry that guy was mean.  Good luck with everything!
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Options
    I failed my 1hr (150) womp womp.  3hr test on Thursday. My gut says I am going to end up with GD but we'll see.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I'm already pretty big into working out but since I've been pregnant with these food aversions my diet has been awful. Luckily baby is great and the doctor hasn't at all been concerned with his development, or my health. So that is reassuring and she told me I'd get to have another ultrasound or two so I'm trying to see the positives! Im definitely planning to call insurance back after I calm down a nurse through insurance for maternity sounds wonderful! 
  • Options
    @Spartanrd4 my OB's office said to eat 15-30g per meal and 15 per snack. I've been doing that and I haven't hit 90 once today with my glucose levels! I'll try upping the amount tomorrow. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi ladies thanks for all the support, I'm feeling much better about everything since I first found out. I have my meeting with the OB nurse and dietitian on Monday and I'm not sure when I'll get my meter to start monitoring everything. I also got signed up for a future moms program through my insurance and will get assigned to a RN through them to help me know what coverage and benefits I have and what I need. I'm hoping she will be a great resource. Thanks for all your support and encouragement! It helps a lot knowing I'm not alone :) 
  • Options
    @ashley14598 - you will probably get your glucometer on Monday as well :)  Go in with an open mind.  you will get a lot of detail, and the dietitian should have a meal plan base laid out for you (or at least I hope they do!).  My RD was super nice and gave so many options.  I think I'm finally in the know of what I should and shouldn't eat and when (specifically morning).  Good luck :)
  • Options
    Hey LAdies! Luckily I finally got my insurance and my everything figured out! I met with the dietitian today she wasn't concerned on anything I've been eating or my GD at all which was a relief! She went over some basics with me on what to include in my diet and said bc I'm already 30 weeks she's not too concerned. Then I met with the OB nurse who gave me more information on what this diagnosis means for me and the baby. She also taught me how to use everything. Today has been a super off day for me eating wise without being at work and on a more strict schedule but I tested my blood sugar after dinner tonight and was devastated that it was 137 :( they want it to be under 120 an hour after meals. I hope I can get it working in the right direction the rest of the week! Thanks again for all your encouraging words! 
  • Options
    @ashley14598 don't be discouraged. I was discouraged when I first started testing and found all of my numbers UNDER the target (90 minimum). After meeting with the dietitian and playing with different foods a bit, I have figured out how to keep my numbers right where they need to be. It doesn't take long to figure out which foods affect you in which way and how much of certain foods you can consume and stay in target. My OB also told me today that just because I can tolerate certain foods now, doesn't mean I will be able to in a month. As the placenta grows larger, it produces more of the hormone that blocks insulin. It's just a constant experiment. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @Minger86 :) 

I have been testing since Tuesday morning and all of my numbers are under the limits except my hour after breakfast number.  On Tuesday it was 159, Wednesday 140, Thursday 114 (finally!), and then today back up to 131 :(  Im so discouraged because I thought I found something that worked yesterday and then ate the exact same thing today and it went back up. My fasting numbers are good, the only thing I can think is that I'm in the car for 45 mins after I eat breakfast for my drive to work. Maybe I should try eating after I get to work? Let me know if you ladies have any quick breakfast ideas (I usually only leave 10 mins to eat breakfast) for helping breakfast numbers, I would hate to have to go to insulin because of only my breakfast numbers. Obviously I'll do whatever I need to do to help my baby but it would be frustrating, Thanks! 
  • Options
    @ashley14598 - I've been making fritattas on the weekend in muffin tins, and grabbing two of those popping them in the microwave for a min and eating that for breakfast.  If you still need carbs, you can eat half of an English muffin (I usually get the Thomas's Light).  My bfast & lunch numbers are usually good.  My fasting and after dinner not so much....so something happens to my body at night.  I'm most likely going to have to go on insulin.  :(

PS you can find easy fritatta recipes online.  I found one that was a ham cup (deli ham, eggs, & whatever else you want to add).  They take about 20 mins in the oven to cook :)
  • Options
    @ashley14598 @mecoats I love baked egg frittata/casserole type things. 

I hate cleaning muffin tins so I always make mine in a 9X12 and cut it in squares.

My favorite is a package of nitrate free turkey bacon chopped and cooked until crispy (remove from pan) sauté diced onions & bell pepper (I use red), then chop and wilt baby arugula (or baby spinach) add meat & veg evenly along bottom of pan sprayed with Nonstick cooking spray.  Top with 1 quart sized container of egg beaters or all whites and bake at 350 ~30 mins until set.

sometimes I top with a little shredded cheese after 30 and put back in until melted.

you can honestly use any meat or veg you like.  Cutting up deli ham, ground turkey, gound or chopped up sausage.  I've done lots of combinations.  The pan gets me through the work week for breakfast.  
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @MrsBinPA - actually I didn't even think about the 9x13, but that's a great idea! I used cupcake liners in my muffin tin, so it wasn't too bad to clean after that.  
  • Options
    @MrsBinPA @mecoats thank you for the suggestions! I'll get to baking and cooking this weekend! 

I hope you can figure out what is happening at night :( I'm just getting started with all this and  am so thankful for these boards and all the support! 
  • Options
    Had my one hour glucose test today, my OB sprung it on me when I walked into the exam room and saw the bottle on the counter! Hope it turns out okay since I've been feeling dizzy at times lately. I hate the waiting and needing to pee!!! They took 5 phials of blood too and three samples last time I was there so I feel rather like a vampire attack victim! 
  • Options
    ashley14598ashley14598 member
    edited January 2017
    **edited because only half my post posted:(

Okay ladies after a week of testing and my doctor appointment isn't until Thursday I have a couple of questions ... I haven't been told to send my numbers to anyone other than to take them with me to the meeting. I have had 6/32 readings that have been out of range 3 after breakfast (I think i got those worked out- big thanks to you ladies), 1 after dinner because I caved into a pizza craving, and twice today once over by 6 and once by 7. Not sure what to think of any of this because the dietitian told me I was doing great and had such a Minor form she wasn't concerned. I have also not been asked to be sending numbers to anyone, frustrating to be diagnosed and not given more support. Thanks again for any input I really do appreciate the support!