April 2017 Moms
Options

Tips and tricks for easier birth?

Calling all STMs, and also everyone who heard something that can be useful!   Any advice for us FTMs on how to have the best possible experience?  What to do, what not to do?  What tools can help?  Anything to mentally prepare?  

Almost all of us are entering third trimester soon, I am sure all FTMs would be grateful for advice or past birth stories!
Me:  35 year old FTM, a busy city banker living in London, and a constant worrier. 
My DH:  French guy, car fanatic, best husband ever.  
Our baby boy:  Due on 17 April, currently 37 weeks.  I can't believe it - I made it to full term!!!! 
Last measurement:  3150 gs at 37+1!  This is going to be a big baby :)

Re: Tips and tricks for easier birth?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @SnarkasaurusRex Thank you so much! That list is so helpful. I'm going to print it out now. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @mrsstuessy Iooked up prices for local doulas but there's no way I can afford one. Which is disappointing because I'm not sure DH is going to be a strong enough voice for me with others nor strong enough encouragement for me. I mean he'll try, but he's pretty type B. I will definitely be referring to this thread in the next few months. Thanks @smallanimal for starting it. 
  • Options
    @mrsstuessy The only reason I disagreed with your birth plan comment is because of the crazy PPD I went through because I'm a planner and nothing went as I had planned and prepped for.  I don't want anyone to have go through what I went through.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    @HGRich  my hospital has a doula program, that I believe is very discounted. Talk to the hospitals in your area, and see if they have doula programs as well. 
    @wagnerw the most difficult part of labor for me, personally, was the pushing. I hadn't slept in 36 hours, and finally broke down for an epidural at 8 cm to get some rest. At that point, I had so much adrenaline, I couldn't sleep. So by the time I was fully dilated, pushing was really difficult. With an epidural, it is difficult to figure out HOW to push while numb, how to push successfully, but my nurse talked me through all of it. I pushed for almost 2 hours and was so exhausted by the end. 
  • Options
    @wagnerw I don't know if this answers your question- but i think it helped me that I kept my expectations and ideas about what was going to happen low if that makes sense. I wasn't attached to a birth plan. I just wanted an alive baby and mommy in the end, so I attempted to just roll with it. I knew it was just going to hurt and could be completely hard, but I didn't dwell too much on that beforehand. 
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what has been previously said.  I feel like I always have to be in control, but kind of let go of that for DS's birth.  I really think that helped.  My doctor even told me that I didn't seem "panicked enough to be in labor." Which I thought was odd, but I just felt like it was too late to worry about things and whatever was going to happen would happen, and I needed to leave things in the hands of the professionals.

I don't know about all hospitals, but I am sure that at most the nurses run the show for the most part.  Don't freak out when you hardly see the doctor for any of the labor process.  Those OB nurses are great!  DS was actually born before the doctor arrived.  My husband freaked out a little bit about that one!

Also, I know that it may be too late for those who haven't been exercising throughout pregnancy, but if you have been keep it up if you can.  I had heard that this would help with a smooth delivery (and I am sure that it's not true in all cases) and I swear that it helped me last time.  On days when I just don't feel like working out I keep telling myself it's to prepare for delivery!
  • Options
    I agree with @Beckyf321 the last thing that happened before I began to push was throwing up! All the nurses were thrilled, lol. Thankfully it was mostly water and over quick. 
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @SnarkasaurusRex  I am bookmarking your post for d-day!  

Loving all the responses, and it's good to hear all the different thoughts.  

For people who had epidurals, what kind did you get?  Full spinal? Or the one where you press the button when you need a top up?  

Also, is the pushing part really the worst?  I am very anxious about pushing when I should not, or not pushing when I should, and thus damaging the baby.  Any thoughts on this? 

And lastly, someone mentioned that we need to bring something for DH to entertain himself.  Err really?  Isn't it enough "entertainment" that I am bent over backwards in cramps?  :o
    Me:  35 year old FTM, a busy city banker living in London, and a constant worrier. 
    My DH:  French guy, car fanatic, best husband ever.  
    Our baby boy:  Due on 17 April, currently 37 weeks.  I can't believe it - I made it to full term!!!! 
    Last measurement:  3150 gs at 37+1!  This is going to be a big baby :)
  • Options
    Podcast: The Birth Hour.

Great resource

Very motivating and interesting....lots of different birth stories and things I'd never thought of. My hubby and I really enjoy it 
  • Options
    WkoutMomtoBeWkoutMomtoBe member
    edited January 2017
    @HGRich

A doula is technically defined as anyone who helps coach you through birth. Do you have any close fam or friends who could help be your voice (& support for your hubby when he needs a break)? That might be an option...go over & give copy of your birth plan to them, talk, etc