April 2017 Moms
Options

How's the weather?

2»

Re: How's the weather?

• Options
    @KirstinH88 We weren't aware of this clear-out-the-shelves phenomenon the first winter we moved here and went to the store to do our normal weekly grocery shop a day or two before a storm was due. ALL of the milk was gone except for the super expensive half-gallons of organic milk (only whole and skim left, though) and gallon jugs of buttermilk. It was ridiculous. We had to spend like $12 on the organic milk  :|
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Options

@KirstinH88  I grew up in NW Iowa and now I'm in MN and I still hate winter.  Take me somewhere warmer!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That clear the shelves phenomenon doesn't just happen in the south or west coast. Even in the Midwest where we all have experience with ice and snow, people will still go out and stock up. It's probably not as bad as it is where snow is less common, but still funny. And we tend to get fewer accidents since we all have kitty litter and sand and snow chains and all that, but you still get people driving like total morons. 
  • Options
    Blueberry85Blueberry85 member
    edited January 2017
    @HGRich I know people will stock up in New England, too, and maybe it's just because I was younger when I was last living there, but I never noticed it was to the extremes people take it down here. Here are some pics people shared with a local news station: https://www.11alive.com/news/photos-empty-shelves-at-atlanta-grocery-stores/383062662?A

Edited to add: This was for the most recent storm - projected accumulation of 2-4 inches
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Options
    @Blueberry85 oh my word. Hahaha. Why the bananas?  :D
  • Options
    Because bananas are delicious and nutritious.. and if your power goes out you don't need to keep them refrigerated.

Sad story- when DD was a few months old we lost power and I lost my entire huge stash of breast milk.
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    @happyanjel that's terrible! I would have been so upset!

I really don't understand the whole clear the shelves thing either. I can't imagine not being able to figure out enough food and drink from what is already in my house if I was snowed in for a few days. It might not be my first choice for food, but I don't think we would starve.
  • Options
    I lived in Atlanta for a year and had more snow days than in the 11 years I lived in Chicago and MN combined.  

It's gorgeous here. I ate lunch outside today.  :)
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    They are saying its supposed to snow here tonight/tomorrow morning. It hasn't snowed here in the 2 years we've lived here, so not sure how reliable their snow forecasts are. We'll see what happens! I would love a late report for DH tomorrow... he's been working 4:30 AM to 8:30 PM all week so I have barely seen him!
  • Options
    -26 celsius and feels like -39 celsius with the wind chill! Will feel like -43 Celsius with the windchill overnight! Was a crazy blustery day today and the roads are like skating rinks...highways around the city were closed as visibility was zero!