Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Diaper Leaks Out the Leg - Help!

DD will be 5 weeks tomorrow and was 8 lbs 4 oz at her checkup last week. We had her in NB size diapers for about a month, and Pampers Swaddlers were our favorite out of everything we tried (Huggies, Honest Co, Seventh Gen). We moved her up to size 1 about a week ago when the NBs started getting too tight. We had a couple diaper blowouts with the NB size, but now with size 1 she seems to be leaking out the leg almost every day. At first I was putting the diaper on super tight, but I read that that might be the culprit , so I stopped. I'm also making sure that the cuffs are out like the Pampers site says. However, when she kicks I can still see a gap between her and the diaper.

TLDR: critique my diapering skills, please!

Re: Diaper Leaks Out the Leg - Help!

• Just a guess but it looks like it needs to be pulled up a bit higher on her back and the tabs loosened a little... they look a little tight to me. 
  • Ditto on the diaper looking too tight. You should be able to fit two fingers snugly between the diaper and baby's stomach.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much, I'll try that!
  • I'm having the leaking issue with huggies! We are switching back to pampers after this box of huggies is gone 
  • Pampers were our favorites too but we ran into similar issues as you because DD has skinny thighs. We found that Luvs actually fit her shape the best, although I hate the monkey print on them!!
  • taysuntaysun member
    Often you need to try different kinds of diapers to find what works best. We tried 5 or so different kinds of diapers before settling on the best one for us. 
  • DD was long and skinny and we had the same problem. Try different brands. We found Target's Up&Up fit her best and I have many friends who swear by them as well. Bonus: they're cheaper!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you pull the front edges up sort of diagonally, it will tighten the leg hole.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Idk if this works with disposables but with cloth you can twist the tabs to make the leg hole smaller without making the waist smaller.  Perfect for thin legged babies.
  • @adiaz132003 do you have a picture of what you mean by twist the tabs? I do cloth and have this issue but can't figure out what tabs you mean to twist
  • We still have DD in nb size pampers. She's 9 weeks today and just over 10.5 lbs. Size 1's just don't fit her yet so she's staying in nbs until her little tush gets bigger. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was having the same problem with LO diapers, what seemed to help me was raise the back part of the diaper a little higher and tighten the straps a little more ... LO is now 10 weeks and i haven't had any problems anymore

• I would indeed try to put them on a little less tight on top, have them a wee bit higher on the back and check if you have taken out the 'flaps' on the sides around the legs. If these are inside only a little there will be leakage. 
    Not sure you understand what I mean.. so I added a picture where I'm holding the 'flap' as my little girl just went to sleep I can't show it on her.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• When my LO grew out of NB pampers I used NB target up&up brand as they were a little bigger. Eventually I switched to size 1 and babyGanics were the smallest and those fit nice, the pampers and huggies size 1 were just a little biggger. I find that just switching and trying different brands at this stage is best because they all fit a little differently/better at different points as the baby grows.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20