December 2016 Moms
Options

CLOTH DIAPERING 101

1235»

Re: CLOTH DIAPERING 101

• Options
    Two questions:
    1) For those that have used pocket diapers, what inserts do you prefer? We like the ones that came with the bumgenius 4.0s but double them up now, which is no problem but I think we need to buy more in prep for 2 babies.

2) Potty training covers - Are there pocket diaper covers that you can pull on and off like underwear during potty training? Have you used them? How'd it go?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    leksiL said:
    ooh guys my co-worker just offered to give me FIFTY cloth diapers that his son used! sweet!! They are "boy" diapers (blue, green, yellow) and he thought that would be a problem. hahaha NO I don't care what color they are.

He gave me a tip, to put an insert in the pocket and another one over the pocket (must not be microfiber since they can't go on skin). If baby just pees, and it doesn't soak through the insert, you can just remove/replace the wet insert!! Has this worked for anyone?
    We put the inserts on top rather than in to get another use out of th cover. I've never put an insert inside the pocket
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    @slartybartfast - we use the 4.0s with the inserts that came with them and also double up now. We bought additional inserts (they don't have the snaps) off of Cotton Babies. 

I've never tried Not inserting them in the pocket.... interesting
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @slartybartfast - we use the 4.0s with the inserts that came with them and also double up now. We bought additional inserts (they don't have the snaps) off of Cotton Babies. 

I've never tried Not inserting them in the pocket.... interesting
    I have the cheapies from China, but we had to go to hemp and/or charcoal as L has a bladder the size of a soccer ball.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    We just went to a cloth diapering class today and they said you can't use dryer sheets in your dryer at all if you're cloth diapering because the fabric softener and other things in the sheets coats your dryer and then gets on the diapers and ruins them.  She said you either have to run about 5 loads through the dryer before using it for diapers or you have to spray/wipe the inside of the dryer with vinegar to remove the residue.  Any experience with this?  We share our washer and dryer with the rest of the building so it's not like we can stop everyone from using dryer sheets.
  • Options
    We just went to a cloth diapering class today and they said you can't use dryer sheets in your dryer at all if you're cloth diapering because the fabric softener and other things in the sheets coats your dryer and then gets on the diapers and ruins them.  She said you either have to run about 5 loads through the dryer before using it for diapers or you have to spray/wipe the inside of the dryer with vinegar to remove the residue.  Any experience with this?  We share our washer and dryer with the rest of the building so it's not like we can stop everyone from using dryer sheets.
    I have never heard that nor adhered to that in 2.5yrs of CD'ing and have had no problems
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1982Babies1982Babies member
    edited September 2016
    I use dryer sheets on my clothing washes and they haven't affected my absorbency one bit.
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @slartybartfast
    i have used the pull up style clothe diapers and found they were a useful supplement to real undies. They bridge the gap for naps, outings (and worked for one at night) and are generally helpful. I also stock up on thick style under wear too. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Options
    @jennbaylor12 @1982babies - thanks.  I thought it was odd that I hadn't read that anywhere but then after she said it I googled it and people were talking about scrubbing dryers with dawn to get the dryer sheet residue out and I was like, no way I'm not doing that every 2 days.  I guess we could always hang to dry until we get our own place.  But I'm trying to make this as user friendly as possible for DH so that he'll get/stay on board and scrubbing the dryer is not going to help.
  • Options
    @penelope4612 I don't even wash every other day anymore.  I have a ridiculously large stash, so I can go 4-5 days without having to do laundry.  She's 2 now though, so she goes through less.  I was pretty religious about washing every other day when she was newer.  Advice I would give to anyone:  Bulk up on cheap diapers and if you want to try the pricier brands, utilize those when you leave the house. ;)
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    Bumping because I'm curious what others have a for a cloth diapering stash for a newborn?

I was thinking of getting 12 newborn prefolds, 12 small prefolds, and maybe 4-6 workhorse fitteds (DH doesn't want to fold prefolds)
    Also for covers, I was going to get exclusively Thirsties duo size 1 but then read that they might be too big for a NB so was going to get some other NB covers.
    Was going to get maybe 4 AIOs to try them out.
  • Options
    @penelope4612 Thirsties size one covers start fitting at 6 pounds so they should fit a newborn, just be prepared for them to be *very* bulky. I'm not doing newborn cloth for that reason, we have a good stash of almost 40 prefolds, 2 flats, and 20 AIO/NAIO/pockets. We still need covers, but according to my grandma, in the newborn stage they may not need a cover since they may not pee too much at one time. We are planning on getting Thirsties covers but probably won't get any until after baby starts to fit in the AIOs just because we've spent so much on our cloth already and the AIOs will work fine until we can get covers.
  • Options
    Hi @penelope4612. I like that you are going with prefolds and covers (mainly) at first. Me too! My advice is that you would have to wash every other day with 2 dozen prefolds. I would grab 12 more. That's because I am too lazy to wash that often, and because prefolds have tons of other uses once lo grows out of them. Your call of course. I'm going to have about 3 dozen prefolds, 8 pockets, and 4 aios. I currently wash 2x a week (for my 16 mo old) and don't want to do it any more often.
  • Options
    LexibizzelLexibizzel member
    edited November 2016
    @ashleaf2018, glad you brought up what your grandma said. My DD isn't a very heavy wetter and we may have gotten away with no cover in the very beginning. Maybe I'll go easy on newborn cover shopping and save some $! Definitely taking advantage of black Friday CD sales though.
  • Options
    Were doing biodegradable disposables for the first two weeks then we'all transition into Grovia hybrids with either their inserts or prefolds - whatever fits best while he's little. They have awesome adjustable snaps on the outside to really synch them up and make them smaller for a newborn. They are supposed to go down to 7lbs, but I think I'm pretty optimistic thinking the babe will be that small when he's born...I was 7lbs 8oz and DH. Was 10lbs 11oz! Due to this, I think he's going to fit into the Grovia's nicely with either prefolds or the snap-in inserts!
  • Options
    penelope4612penelope4612 member
    edited November 2016
    @ashleaf2018 - that's a good thought re:covers, maybe I won't stress so much about the right size and just get the Thirsties since they will grow with the baby a little better than Nb covers.

@Lexibizzel - I agree about needing more prefolds but wasn't sure if I should focus on more Nb size or more small size.  The cheapo in me doesn't want to buy tons of stuff that will stop being used after a few weeks.  But DH is not super excited about cloth so I'm afraid if we start with disposables right away I'll never convince him to switch.
  • Options
    We are doing Flips (AI2) and I think I have about 15-20 covers and about 40 or so inserts.  Depending on how big they are I may use cloth right away.  But I also may wait until the cord falls off if it seems like it's hitting at that spot and irritating it. We have gotten a few AIOs from ordering from Cotton Babies (got them free).  I obviously haven't used any yet but just comparing those to the Flips I don't think I'm going to like them.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
  • Options
    I'm excited to have a teenie tiny fluffy butt here soon❤️
  • Options
    Re: prefolds I would actually do the larger size because you can fold the top portion down to make it small enough and then when baby actually needs the large size, you can fold it down. Prefolds are great because you can really customize the fit with whatever size you're using, so already having the large means you won't  have to buy more later.
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel - where do you usually find the Black Friday sales?
  • Options
    @penelope4612 I shop at diaper junction.com because they have awesome prices, service, and a good loyalty program. But if you check out the dirty diaper laundry website close to black Friday, they list the deals at all online (and many in store) cloth retailers. That website in general is great for information.

I hear you on being cheap, I definitely am myself!! But with my DD, prefolds that were too big when she was a newborn drove me crazy. So bulky. The newborn ones not only fit well, but lasted for over six months (granted she is kind of small for her age). But there are so many ways to use prefolds! Do a quick Google search for alternative prefold diaper uses.
  • Options
    Well we just found out the baby is estimated 33rd percentile so looks like we might be having a small baby.  Guess I'll plan to get more NB size.
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience with g diapers? I'm curious about them (they are on zulily today), especially for travel...
  • Options
    Dirty diaper laundry will be releasing info for black Friday CD sales on Mon Nov 21 :) can't wait!
  • Options
    So now that many of us have our babies how is everything going with diapering? DD is still too small for cloth but she is finally getting close! I tried grovias yesterday but they both leaked, and the Alvas are still way too big... 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    @leksiL Did the Grovias leak because they were big? I'm going to start trying mine out soon. 
  • Options
    @mysteryship well they are handmedowns so the Velcro is pulled and I think I used the wrong insert. I have a long way to go!!
    Married Jan 2008 

• Options
    @leksiL it looks like you can tighten it at the waist some more.. and is there another row of snaps to pull it up a little higher? you'll want the fit to look pretty snug, but OS dipes might still be too big at this point. 
  • Options
    MaggieG183MaggieG183 member
    edited January 2017
    This is what I have to do to get my Grovia's on Kyler to work - he's just over 8 lbs (couldn't use them when he was less than 8 lbs though): I have the front snaps on the highest rise and then the snaps that wrap to the front overlap a ton. No messes so far and he's had some pretty epic poos in the last couple days!
  • Options
    I tried the grovias today with the correct inserts and went through all three of them with no leaks! I feel like I should order more inserts but I have tons of pocket diapers and AIOs for over 10 lbs so not sure if the investment is worth it since my grovias are so freaking old. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• Options
    @leksiL are you on Facebook? There is a GroVia B/S/T (buy/sell/trade) group on there. You probably find some old inserts for cheap if you're interested.
  • Options
    @MaggieG183 thanks for the tip I will check that out!
    Married Jan 2008