December 2016 Moms

CLOTH DIAPERING 101

Re: CLOTH DIAPERING 101

• Thanks for posting this thread!! I've been researching CDing for a while now and it seemed overwhelming but now I think I'm starting to figure out what I want. Can any of you STMs speak to just prefolds and covers? Someone said those worked well for when babies are really little. What are some reasons for changing to AIOs or pocket diapers when they're older? 

I definitely want to try to CD and the more I look, the more I fall back to just wanting to try the prefolds. Seems to me they're easier to clean and the difference in cost is astounding. But there's always a nagging feeling in the back of my head that the pocket diapers are just so cute! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    littlebirdie28
  • brittnic86brittnic86 member
    edited June 2016
    @Toller02 @DiFazette I'm in a mamas of multiples facebook group, and a lot of them said they started out in disposables, until their babies were around 8 pounds. Then they switched to cloth diapers. We do have our own laundry, so that wouldn't be a problem, and they will be watched at our house by my sister for the few hours a week we need childcare, so that shouldn't be an issue either. A lot of twin mamas are saying that it's really worth the money saved...I did find a website called The Fluffy Penguin Company, that seemed pretty reasonable price wise. I could get two days worth of diapers for the twins for around $300. From what I'm reading you go through like 10 diapers a day (average), so make that 20 with twins, so 140 diapers a week. Target has diapers for $33 for 222 diapers (I'm sure like costco is cheaper, just using it as an example)...which would last a little under two weeks. So in two months, you would spend the same on disposables, as you would've on the reusable ones that you get to keep using. And they have different snaps on them so you can adjust the size. Seems like it might be worth the money saved.....
    Pregnancy Ticker
    DiFazette
  • Loading the player...
  • In regards to the laundry thing- as long as your stash is sufficient, the added loads of laundry really aren't as big of a burden as you might think. 
    I'm not a mom of multiples, but we currently have about 25 diapers to our one toddler and have to do laundry every 3rd day. I will likely purchase some more before 2.0 arrives and bring our stash up to 30-35ish just so I can maintain the same washing schedule. 
    It's an investment up front, but there is a return when you're done. You can always re-sell your CDs later on which will help offset the initial investment. 

Also- in the beginning I bought all of our dipes second hand until we found ones we loved and then I invested in brand new ones. Some people are grossed out by used diapers, but you can strip them and they're good as new. 
    JEM525
  • @Srey Saw all CDs are cute if you want them to be!! If you opt for prefolds and covers, there are loads of adorable cover options! 
  • We are going to use prefolds and covers for the newborn stage.  It seems like it will be fairly inexpensive - $25ish for 12 prefolds and covers are about $12-15 each.  Since you can reuse covers several times before changing them out, I think we can get away with 24 prefolds and ~6 covers if we do laundry every 2 days.  So around $100-150 for the newborn stage, and the prefolds can be reused in pocket diapers.

I found these videos helpful for understanding the different types of diapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMmpJkB8L4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBz_UPww4CU
    littlebirdie28Austenista
  • JEM525JEM525 member
    Those of you using your cloth now, is anyone planning on buying new inserts for the new LO? I'm not sure if I should just do a deep cleaning or say F it and by a new stash of inserts. I'm sure some of our inserts need to
    be pitched mostly because I only like a certain brand and the others aren't holding up. 
  • For those of you who have done CD, how many diapers do you buy up front? We are thinking either the pre-fold (at least for the first few months) or AIO. I don't want to get too few or too many.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited June 2016
    Ok ladies - I don't know how to do this since i'm starting from zero.  For those of you who CD, can you please tell me what your favorite brand is? My husband would only consider these with disposable inserts, so keep that in mind.  There's too much info and having twins, I can't really play the 'see what you like' game.  Short and simple answers are perfect!  Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker     

• JEM525JEM525 member
    I put 12 on my registry but have a stash of 25 covers. It gets me threw two-3 days before washing. My favorite brand is Bumgenius because it's easy for the grandparents and DH to get on board with the inserts. You don't have to deal with different diaper folds or clips. I like both ALL in Ones and inserts. It was easy to buy them and register at buy buy baby. I tried gdiapers and it wasn't for me but they do have Gdiaper disposable inserts and those can fit into Bumgenius diapers. You can also use a disposable liner over your cloth inserts and that will help with a little easier clean up. You can buy Gdiaper disposable liners at Baby's R Us or Amazon. 
    littlebirdie28DiFazette
  • We're looking at CD'ing and personally like the pre-fold and pocket diaps. My siblings and I all had super sensitive skin and our parents ended up CDing. My nephew also has super sensitive skin and the only disposables that seem to work for him are the Honest brand. So my sister mixes those in with AIOs.

Pregnancy Ticker 

littlebirdie28
  • I have CD'd two kids with about a 1 month break where DS was potty trained and DD was in disposables because she was too small (I didn't move to cloth until each was 12 lbs, for the fit)

We used all BumGenius pockets, all snaps (the velcro gives out over time and needs to be replaced).  I found that having all one kind of diaper made our lives easier - only one system to learn, no tricks, no confusion.  I started with 24 diapers, eventually got to 32 because I bought some pink/girly ones when DD was born - I couldn't help myself

We used 2 Planetwise diaper pail liners that we washed with the diapers, they are a perfect fit for the Diaper Dekor Classic.  Also had a Planetwise zipper bag for my diaper bag.  We did diaper laundry every other night- we have hard water so I stripped the diapers once a quarter.  Used Allen's Naturally soap powder.

Between babies, I replaced the elastic in about 10 of the diapers - kind of a pain, but worth it to not buy new diapers.

You do have to change them more frequently than in disposables, but honestly do you really want your kid in a wet diaper for 4 hours, anyway?

We used hemp liners in addition to the standard ones for overnight

If we get to have more kids, we'll do it all again because we save SO much money and we are never 'out' of diapers.  I can't tell you how happy I am that we never had to go buy diapers at 11pm, or in a snow storm because we'd run out - it is a cost and a concern that we just didn't have!
    jennbaylor12littlebirdie28BenNSarah
  • @annie and Frank and anyone else; please elaborate on this:

You do have to change them more frequently than in disposables, but honestly do you really want your kid in a wet diaper for 4 hours, anyway?

Like how often?  Every 2 hours?  If that's the case this is NOT for me.  That's 24 cloth diapers per day.  Twins and an incredibly acive 3 year old boy does now allow that kind of time investment for both changes and laundry.  I'm going to be drowning just to make sure everyone's bellies are full.  

Anyone?

Pregnancy Ticker     

tinattt23
  • Same question as @DiFazette plus the added question of what's "normal" for disposables. Not much baby experience here. I thought you just changed them every time they were wet. Maybe I'm more clueless than I thought  :/
    PensiveCrayon
  • tinattt23 said:
    Same question as @DiFazette plus the added question of what's "normal" for disposables. Not much baby experience here. I thought you just changed them every time they were wet. Maybe I'm more clueless than I thought  :/
    @tinattt23 - we used pampers swaddlers with DS for about the first year.  That's what the NICU started him in and I was advised not to change for a bit.  They (and I think other brands as well) have a line indicator that turns blue when they're wet.  DS was not your normal size baby (4.2 at birth) but I'd say I changed 8-10 diapers per day with disposables for the first while.  I was super diligent to making sure he got changed as soon as that line was there, too.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

tinattt23
  • I agree that BumGenius are pricy up front, and I didn't even buy any for myself when I started.  I had one given to me from my registry and then stated buying more when they were on sale and now I would say they are the time.  I would start off with a minimum of 24 diapers.  I personally bought newborn diapers because my daughter was so tiny.  I had some workhorses to start with and then bought some Lil Joeys.  I also bought some secondhand BumGenius NB size from swap and a bunch of THX from a co-op buy.  Co-op buys are awesome.  The diapers are cheap, and the quality isn't as great, but they are worth it to bulk up your stash.  I didn't find prefolds or flats to be great after she became mobile, because she was flying off of the table, but I did like them.  I used BumGenius Freetimes as my overnights from about 4 months until a year and then she started peeing too much for them.  My go-to overnight now is a Grovia O.N.E., which I bought while they were on Kickstarter or whatever.  Otherwise, I use a cheapo diaper with extra inserts, or a BumGenius Elemental with a Best Bottoms snap-in liner on top.  Whatever you do, different diapers are going to work for different baby sizes.  My kid has always been thin, so maybe I lucked out with a lot of the fits. 
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• @1982Babies -

I'm sure there's some good info here, but I have no idea what any of this means.  Too much jargon for my simple little brain. 

Pregnancy Ticker     

Christinaruth74kbduke
  • Ladies, I am in need of some help. L has just developed what looks like a yeast infection in his diaper, but it is spread up his back above his CD. Any ideas or suggestions on what can help.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Ladies, I am in need of some help. L has just developed what looks like a yeast infection in his diaper, but it is spread up his back above his CD. Any ideas or suggestions on what can help.
    Pic? How old is he? Nakedness is hugely helpful to help dry things out and Budros Buttpaste is a miracle worker!! DS had only had 1 case of that ever, developed it while at daycare (I discovered they weren't changing him frequently enough) and Budros cleared it up immediately!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JEM525JEM525 member
    new moms in the beginning you will be changing around 10+ diapers per day for one baby. Yes you will change baby when they are wet weather they are in cloth of disposable. If washing isn't for you there are amazing services that will wash and deliver clean diapers for you. If you are wanting to save money wash them yourself but be prepared to do a load every other day. A toilet sprayer is something that will make washing easier. 
  • Okay, I have more questions - seems like this thread is dying but please help!!

H said this morning that he would 'think about' CDing.... So, That's a green light to me (yes, I'm crazy, in the good way).  I reached out to my local local twin moms group imm a part of and had a few people contact me about selling me their stash, so that's a good option.

Logistics questions:
    - CD's get washed on their own?  How about drying? 
    - what do you do for trips?  We go away roughly 2 weekends per month during the summer months since my parents live at the beach.  Obviously a wet bag works for short trips, but not for days.  I don't want to assume anyone is cool with poop in their washer, plus I wouldn't have the toilet sprayer there.  Anyone travel often and what do you do?  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• emisiemisi member
    @ashleaf2018I haven't read through all the responses yet, but if you want to CD and the baby needs to stay dry, I would suggest putting fleece liners in over the inside of the diaper.  You can even cut them from fleece you buy at the store. It wicks away moisture immediately, keeping the baby dry.
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
    ashleaf2018
  • DiFazette said:
    Okay, I have more questions - seems like this thread is dying but please help!!

H said this morning that he would 'think about' CDing.... So, That's a green light to me (yes, I'm crazy, in the good way).  I reached out to my local local twin moms group imm a part of and had a few people contact me about selling me their stash, so that's a good option.

Logistics questions:
    - what do you do for trips?  We go away roughly 2 weekends per month during the summer months since my parents live at the beach.  Obviously a wet bag works for short trips, but not for days.  I don't want to assume anyone is cool with poop in their washer, plus I wouldn't have the toilet sprayer there.  Anyone travel often and what do you do?  
    Yay for green lights!!! Lol

- I usually dry them independently but you can dry them with clothes, no problem. At that point their just wet fabric, just like clothes
    - I try to wash all the diapers before we travel and take a Ton. I take several wet bags (I have the large Planet wise ones) and just use those - they are compact and travel well and completely contain the odors
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DiFazette
  • emisiemisi member
    DiFazette said:
    Okay, I have more questions - seems like this thread is dying but please help!!

Logistics questions:
    CDs and cloth wipes are washed on their own.  The way I usually do it is a rinse and spin cycle with no detergent, then a hot water wash with extra water with Tide Free and Gentle.  You can also do an extra rinse at the end, but I don't usually bother.  I put them in the dryer on normal right now, but I prefer to hang them.  We need to get our clothes line put back up.

When babies are little and only breast or formula fed, you just toss all the diapers in the wash - yes, even poop ones.  It's water soluble.  Once they eat table food you need to scrape or rinse the poop away.  Depending on where I'm traveling, I'll either get their permission to wash diapers or just use disposables for a weekend.
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
    DiFazette1982Babies
  • @emisi Thanks for the tip! We are going to do everything we can to make CDing work for us, I know CDing is better for babies with sensitive skin so there has to be some way to make it work for our baby, skin condition or not. :)
  • DiFazette said:
    @1982Babies -

I'm sure there's some good info here, but I have no idea what any of this means.  Too much jargon for my simple little brain. 

@DiFazette um... like... idk... some stuff about absorbency and poop.. ;)
    *SIGGY*
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

PensiveCrayon
  • @DiFazette -- Just wash in the washer.  I do a pre-wash with 1 line of detergent, then a hot wash with 3 lines.  In the summer, if I have time, I will hang outside to dry as this takes care of the stains too.  Otherwise in the dryer they go!  I have such a huge stash that I don't need to have them all put back together right away.  I recommend that. :wink:

As far as going out of town for the weekend:  I would bring your stash and wash when you get back.  The one and only time I have bought disposables was for my Florida trip a couple of months ago.  I didn't want to deal with flying with a toddler plus carrying a car seat, her, and a regular suitcase, plus a probably full suitcase of diapers.  I did bring a couple of cloth diapers for the ocean and pool though!
    *SIGGY*
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Any recommendations for detergent? I know CD's can be very finicky with buildup and stuff.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon we used bum genius for 2 years and thankfully my daughter doesn't have skin allergies so we were able to use regular tide (the powdered kind). The liquid and the pods seemed to never get them clean enough. However I know others swear by Dreft and All Free and Clear. As for build up about once a month I would run 2 cycles on hot water with color safe bleach in addition to the detergent. 
    PensiveCrayon
  • @PensiveCrayon we used bum genius for 2 years and thankfully my daughter doesn't have skin allergies so we were able to use regular tide (the powdered kind). The liquid and the pods seemed to never get them clean enough. However I know others swear by Dreft and All Free and Clear. As for build up about once a month I would run 2 cycles on hot water with color safe bleach in addition to the detergent. 
    This. My husband and son both have sensitive skin so I use All Free and Clear on everything that goes in the washer and have never had a problem! Also, I know that hanging dry is recommended but I was working 60hr weeks from when DS was 10wks old until 20mths old and that wasn't realistic for me so mine get dried in the dryer and 2+yrs later are going strong and will be used for this LO as well :smiley:
    BabyFruit Ticker
    PensiveCrayon
  • Perfect, thanks @jennbaylor12 and @Acreativephipps. I've got pretty finicky skin in general -- not with detergent, but with eczema and nickel allergies and all that fun stuff -- so I'm not going to be surprised if this baby has trouble with regular detergents initially. But we'll see :)
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
    jennbaylor12
  • DiFazette said:
    @1982Babies -

I had a hard time at first when the thread came out - I am very visual learner. The YouTube video posted earlier in the thread was VERY helpful. The woman who made the videos has several lessons. Highly recommend!!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
    1982Babies
  • @littlebirdie28 - thanks.  I'm mostly kidding.  I just hate that there's so much jargon when I'm trying to decide to commit to something this important.  If i'm being passive in my reading comprehension at that moment, I have to read a post like that 4 times.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

littlebirdie28
  • Haha I get it! I am constantly Google-ing things I read here :-P

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • @Kate08Young I'm super late in replying, so maybe you've cleared it up by now, but we've battled yeast a few times.
    do you CD now? If you do, diapers will need to be stripped properly to ensure the spore are gone. 
    It's always safe to have yeast properly diagnosed, but if you're pretty sure that's what it is, treat with an anti-fungal cream like Lotrimin. I usually switch to disposables when treating yeast and apply the cream 2-3x per day along with some A&D ointment. 

For everyone curious about CD wash routines / stripping and basically anything else, there's a group on fbook that has fantastic resources. 
    It's called Fluff Love & CD Science. Check it out! 
    DiFazetteprincesslocknessHairBossMamajennbaylor12
  • @PensiveCrayon I've found that the most recommended and detergent with greatest success is Tide powder. I also add a plant-based fabric softener to our diaper loads (Mrs. Meyers) and it makes them so soft! 
    PensiveCrayonHairBossMama
  • @DiFazette we use disposables for trips. It's just easier for me not to worry about where I'm going to rinse the poop or to make sure I have a wet bag on me. It also makes packing lighter.
    and don't let the changing schedule scare you away! I think if you are prepped with enough diapers to factor in 10-12 changes per day/per kid you'll be good. And from there factor in how often you'd ideally like to be doing laundry. If you want to space out the laundry days, plan on investing more up front in a bigger stash. 
    But, worst case you try it out, find its not for you, sell your stash to recoup funds and move on. You'll figure out what works best for you! 
    JEM525
  • Thanks @Christinaruth74 an earlier post said more changes with CD and I panicked.  It's got more to do with me than the CDing.  Between diaper changes and feeding twins, I get really stressed when I think about it. I keep feeling that there's going to be nothing left for DS.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @DiFazette I can only imagine. A mom from my M14 board recently had twins along with her 2 year old. For a little while it was 3 under 2 in the house! You will for sure have you're overwhelmed moments, but you adjust and you just sort of do it... If that makes sense? You will do so well and you will figure out a way to make DS still feel important, but give yourself so much grace because I'm sure there will be times of trial and error. Cloth diapering or not, you've got this ❤️
    DiFazette