May 2017 Moms
Options

FFFC

2»

Re: FFFC

• Options
    A former co-worker had her car
    stolen from when it was parked outside work. She was all pissed that she was somehow targeted because she was the only one that had missing items. That's because she was the only one that didn't lock her car and secure her valuables. The thief stole her GPS or satellite radio, something like that. And I say stolen from vs broken into because they didn't have to break anything to get into it. I had zero sympathy for her because we were off the main road in an industrial zone with no outdoor lighting during the winter when the sun sets before we leave work.

I lock my car which sits in my locked garage, and I go into my house and lock the door and set the alarm. I'm not paranoid, I just don't trust people.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    My FFFC though, is that we took a 'snow day' from play date today. I wish that meant I could also have a parenting snow day! I miss the days of getting to lounge around reading and stitching and watching trash TV sipping cocoa and eating junk on a snow day. Nope, still gotta get juice boxes and snacks and kiss the boo-boos and find the next Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode and clean all the messes and make lunch and dinner. And today was just a dusting, tomorrow is round two and we're solidly in the 4-8" zone. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Add me to "don't lock anything" club. My car is currently sitting in my driveway, with the keys in it, unlocked. I never lock my car and never lock the house during the day, only at night when we are going to bed.  I grew up that way too which I'm sure is why. It drives DH crazy! 
    I do know though if anything ever happened to my car, it's totally my fault and I accept that. 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @Squirtgun  Your stories make me feel like Parent of the Year. :)  When daycare called they said, "Do you want to come get her or do you want us to call 911?"  Aside from being concerned about DD, I thought I better get there before they called the ambulance because that made it sound like she'd amputated something.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    My son's bed time is 8 my husband is closing his store tonight ds went to bed at 715 because he wouldn't let me set him down wouldn't eat would drink. I'm like nope not holding you another 45 mins in to bed w you
  • Options
    kns1988kns1988 member
    edited January 2017
    I grew up in a small town, then moved to the city, and now I'm back to small town. We didn't even know where the house key was when I was growing up, and the keys were always left in the car. I religiously locked my doors in the city, but I've gotten lax about it since moving. We don't lock the door when we leave the house, but I always lock them at night. My thought is that I don't care if someone steals my stuff as long as I'm not home, but that's obviously bad logic because I *would* care if someone were in my house when I came back.

ETA: maybe I shouldn't have posted this on a public forum. Don't come to my house! I'm gonna start locking it now! 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    This is more of a UO, but that's so yesterday :P

I judge you if you leave your car unlocked outside your house. I judge you even harder if you can't park even 1 of your cars in your 2 car garage.
    My parents converted their garage into an apartment. When everyone is home for holidays there are 6 cars here. I'm sure the neighbors hate us haha.
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe what about a 3 car garage that you only park one car in? ....not that I know anyone who does that or anything.
  • Options

I judge you if you leave your car unlocked outside your house. I judge you even harder if you can't park even 1 of your cars in your 2 car garage.
    Hang on, I'm with you about locking the car but the garage? I think it's actually really inconvenient to use the garage for a car, it make sure it so hard to walk and get other things in and out of the garage with a car in the way and you can't start it with the remote start to warm up or cool down because the fumes build up. 

Plus if no cars go in the garage we don't fight over who is in and who is out!

May '17 labor memes
  • Options

Hang on, I'm with you about locking the car but the garage? I think it's actually really inconvenient to use the garage for a car, it make sure it so hard to walk and get other things in and out of the garage with a car in the way and you can't start it with the remote start to warm up or cool down because the fumes build up. 

You've obviously never lived in Arizona :lol: Garage spaces are a prime commodity to keep your car shaded! 

And now I live in Washington and would kill for a garage space to not have to run my kids out through the rain everyday to get in the car! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    FFFC: I played up DD's leg being sore from her vaccination yesterday (which it's not bugging her at all) to DH's family so my 14yo BIL wouldn't try to play with her so roughly (he's horribly behaved and acts more like a 7yo, I can't stand being around him) and he got yelled at twice to just let her play independently.
  • Options
    I lock everything (cars, house), even though we have a 1/4 mile long driveway and you can't even see the house from the road. Just habit from growing up in a busier suburb. In regards to garages, though, I don't think it's weird at all to park outside of them. We don't have one (which sucks in the winter), but half of my parent's 2-car garage is a workshop, so they always have one car parked outside.
  • Options
    h&pmomma said:

You've obviously never lived in Arizona :lol: Garage spaces are a prime commodity to keep your car shaded! 

And now I live in Washington and would kill for a garage space to not have to run my kids out through the rain everyday to get in the car! 
    Husband and I are both from Vegas! His family garages the cars but mine never has. Maybe it is a bit more about what you're used to? 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    The Phoenix heat kills car batteries. Our HOA prohibits long term street parking. We are supposed to park in the garage or driveway. I get that not all cars fit in our AZ-sized garages. But I get annoyed when ppl park on the street. I'm so worried a kid or animal willl pop out from between parked cars when I'm driving. I also hate when ppl complain about the rule on Nextdoor. If you don't like the HOA rules, don't buy a house here. I promise I'm not an HOA crazie. Ours is otherwise very tame and not too restrictive. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    I also think the Phoenix area builds houses with larger garages to accommodate the workshops/storage and people can still have parking space. And like @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot said, almost every neighborhood I know has an HOA that prohibits street parking longer than 24 hours. 
    My parents in Arizona have a 4 car garage... two bays for my dad's workshop and two for their cars. It's really rare to find a house in Arizona without at least a two car garage. 

Meanwhile in Washington, I see houses all the time with no garage or just a single car garage. Makes no sense to me.
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    The Phoenix burbs definitely have roomier garages. In central PHX, if you are lucky enough to have a garage instead of a carport, it only list fits your vehicle. If we ever upgrade from a compact car and small SUV, we'll be parking in the driveway. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    slssls member
    Here in a Toronto suburb, I think we are the only people on the block that park one car in the one-car (barely) garage. Everyone else uses them for storage. The funny thing is our driveway can fit 4 cars because we're on a corner, whereas most houses can only fit 2 or 3. Of course, we're sorely lacking storage space, but when I'm leaving the house at 6:30 am and it's -10°, I'm not screwing around with a cold car in the driveway.

Where I grew up in rural Iowa, everyone had 2 car garages with a side area for workbenches. When it got really cold, Dad fit 3 cars in there. Tight fit, but still.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • Options
    JCWhitey said:

How much do you judge me that I leave my cars not only unlocked in front of my house, but I also leave the keys sitting in it?
    Me too... Rarely take the keys out, I actually have to remind myself when I pull up at the grocery store. also have 6 options for parking my cars in a garage or shed, only 1 is parked in there because the others won't fit. My car is still covered by insurance for theft if I leave it parked outside, my stuff is not.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    Gah, um... a week later I finally got notifications of my tags in this post.  WTF Bump?  Anyway, I live in a small town, very rural, but also I know most people leave their keys in their car when they go grocery shopping or whatever because all the cars are running.  -30 is no time to worry about your car being stolen, we want out heaters running!  Even the most eco minded of us let's that go in those temps.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.