September 2017 Moms

Team Green!

This could be a place for those of us who are *not learning the baby's gender, or those considering it. 
We could discuss our thoughts/feelings of waiting for the surprise, and also share gender neutral nursery/clothing/gear ideas.
Hoping to keep all of this on this thread as more people join!

Me: 33 DH: 33
Married: 10.15.16
BFP: 12.24.16
DS BD: 8.20.17
TTC #2 1.1.19
BFP #2 7.3.19
EDD #2 3.13.20

Re: Team Green!

• FTM here and we've already decided we're going team green. It's against my nature, since I'm such a 'planner,' but I've had several friends do this recently, and I love the element of surprise. We figure, either way, you have to prepare for a baby, no matter the sex. We also want to keep everything as gender neutral as possible, since we hope to have one more LO down the road.
    I know it'll be tough to stay in the dark, and tough for family/friends who want to know, but we're excited!

Anyone else on team green or thinking about it? Or any advice from veteran moms who did the same thing?
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • We found out with our first but will be team green this time!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd love to be team green, but 1) I know myself too well (I also watch the u/s and knew with DS long before the tech/midwife said anything), and 2) my husband said he needs to know and he can't keep secrets!

On another note, I believe it would save lots of money.  Not only if you have a second of the opposite sex, but it keeps you from going OVERBOARD on the blue/pink purchases prior to baby's birth!
  • I'm thinking about it. I already have 1 girl and 1 boy, so we're pretty set. But the temptation may be too much. Stay tuned...
  • We are considering it. I like to plan and we are both impatient. 
    Me: 26 ; FI: 27
    DS1: 5 ; DS2: 4m
    Baby #3 Due 9/7/17

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We were team green for our first (a boy!) and team green for this one too! I'm a HUGE planner, so everyone was shocked I wanted to keep it a surprise with our first, but there are so few surprises in life for planners like me, so I figured this would be the ultimate surprise :) It was incredible and I wouldn't change a thing ... which is why we're doing it the same way all over again!

DH really wanted at least one boy, so now that we have our boy, we'd both be ecstatic with another boy or a girl! For our son's nursery, we had done grey and turquoise and green for colors, elephant theme.

We had both guessed we were having a boy, and will both be shocked if we end up with a girl this time around based on his family's history of all boys, but we'll be thrilled either way :)
  • I'm trying to convince my husband to get on board! This is probably our last baby and I still think it would be so exciting 
  • We have found out with all our first three and won't with this one!  Surprise baby= surprise at birth! 

Another planner here but I'm also obsessed with neutral colors and don't want swamped with blue or pink! IF we find out by seeing it on the u/s, we won't be telling anyone. 
  • We were Team Green with DS and I expect we'll wait for the surprise this time as wlll. That is, if DH can handle it. He wanted to find out so bad last time. 

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • I've highly considered going team green. I already have a boy and a girl, and either one would be equally exciting for me. I'm such an impatient person and it's really hard for me to be in the dark about things, but I just feel like it would be so amazing having a surprise like that at the birth. DH definitely isn't on board with the idea though and my daughter wants a sister soooo bad so I just don't know if she could handle waiting that long to know.
  • We found out with DD because I too am a planner! I ended up registering for a lot of gender neutral things anyway, so this time I announced that we weren't going to find out the sex and my husband was like wtf?? I kinda made that decision on my own... whoopsie :)  who knows, it could change, but right now its team Green.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to try! I really wanted to be last time. I truly did. At the NT scan the tech guessed (wrongly). I didn't tell her I didn't want to know, because I asked with my first and the SAME tech laughed at me and told me it was way too early. So then when she guessed girl, I went crazy. I had to confirm. Nope, all balls.

M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.

DS1- 8/2013

DS2- 11/2015 (Second round IUI)

DD- 9/2017

Baby #4 Due 5/10/20 TEAM GREEN

• We didn't find out with our first and we won't be finding out this time either! When I went into labor my doctor was out of town, and I don't think the doc I got knew that we didn't know the gender, DD was born for over five minutes just laying on my chest before I finally asked what it was, my DH was like "its a baby!" we were so in love and didn't care at all about gender! 
  • 100% team green. With have a son and daughter and wanted to do something special for baby #3, and most likely our last. I can't wait for DH to announce what it is! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We didn't find out with our first and we won't be finding out this time either! When I went into labor my doctor was out of town, and I don't think the doc I got knew that we didn't know the gender, DD was born for over five minutes just laying on my chest before I finally asked what it was, my DH was like "its a baby!" we were so in love and didn't care at all about gender! 
    That is exactly what it was like for us at our son's birth! DH was supposed to announce but forgot all about it once baby came out! Baby was lying on my chest and the doctor finally said, "Soooo ... what do we have?" Oh yeah, we forgot! 
  • We were team green with DS. Both of us guessed it would be a girl and we were so wrong. Lol. It was such a fun surprise! And we got to avoid the onslaught of pink or blue, which is nice because all our big items we want to reuse are neutral. Hardest part was having to pick two names! 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We were team green last time and after a quick check with DH, we're team green again! For me it was easy peasy, for DH I think he'd be okay with either but thankfully defers to me <3 Funny enough, my mom was SO happy we were team green until anatomy scan time came around and she started trying to convince me to have them just tell her :D
  • We were team green with DD and plan to do the same this time. I would have bet you a million dollars she was a boy, so hearing H shout out "it's a girl" was the greatest surprise/treat I could have ever gotten.
  • team green! we have a son and a daughter (we found out for both) and I know I will regret it this time if we find out. I really want to experience this surprise. I am an obsessive shopper and planner though, so this is going to be hard!
  • Team Green here! We didn't find out with our first and it was such a special moment when my husband was the one to tell me we had a little girl. He was also the one who got to tell family in the waiting room. Excited for another 9 months of guessing.
  • I really want to be team green this time. We found out with the first two boys. But since this is likely our last, I don't want to hear anyone saying things like "oh what a shame you have all boys" or "aw, I was really hoping for a girl". I know that no one will care once there is a sweet baby in the world. And really it doesn't matter to me as long as baby is healthy. Picking 2 names is going to be hard though! 
  • Any crazy reactions so far from people when you mention you're Team Green?

We've only told a few friends, and they both have girls and mentioned there's no way they could ever not find out, especially because it helped with bond with the baby during pregnancy. But nothing outrageous.

TBH, part of the joy for me is that people will get pissed because THEY want to know. I'm actually looking forward to that **evil laugh**

TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @MrsVP614 My dad, hilariously, has OPINIONS on every choice we've made so far, including 1) that we are waiting to make the news public until March (he thinks we should just do it now, at 6 weeks...); 2) that I have chosen to see a midwife rather than OB ("You should just go to a real doctor"); 3) and Team Green. And he said the one thing that really makes me drive my heels in which is, "Oh, you'll change your mind." Now I won't. Because I can't let him be right-- haha! 

My mother-in-law also said she wanted to know so she could "plan." What on earth is she planning for?! I am having a baby, not her. :) 
  • I don't understand the "planning" thing either. You need the same stuff regardless of the baby's sex. How hard is it to but neutral NB stuff? It will be easy to go shopping for gendered outfits after anyway. Maybe it's because I prefer neutral for the big things anyway but I find it weird that it's super important to drown your kid in all that is blue or pink and you need to "plan" that. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @MplsKate I'm sure we'll hear something similar from our parents when we find out. 

@MyNamesTaken That's exactly how we feel! Either sex, we're still having a baby. I also dread the thought of getting all blue/pink stuff. 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Team green here!!! We found out with our first. And didn't find out with our second.  This is Our 3rd and final child so I don't want to find out so we can be surprised!!!
  • Team Green! Funny thing is before the BFP DH was alllllll about Team Green. Now that we are actually expecting he is changing his mind. I was never on board with it but then came around and got really excited at not knowing. I'm trying to convince him to keep with the plan but who knows LOL.

I'm pretty much on the same wave length as everyone here. Not wanting a bunch of pink/blue, ideally would like more kids so don't want to have to re-buy plus I  REALLY like to idea like @MplsKate said it makes people soooooo mad. 

I will say though looking through everything online though it's def. not going to be super easy to pick stuff out. 

• My best tip from when I was shopping for my first as team green? Shop the boys side (after the tiny neutral section) because you can always throw a bow headband on if you have a girl
  • Hoping to stay team green for the first time ever. I chose to find out with my first, then because he was on the ASD spectrum and the risk is higher in boys, we chose to find out with the second. The second ended up being a perfectly neurotypical boy (I swapped out the sperm donor from DS1 for DH), then, because I very desperately wanted a girl, we found out for #3.

Since then, I've had 3 losses, so I really don't care what the sex will be, I just want a healthy baby. The only reason to want to find out is if something is wrong down there; Iike bladder extrophy.

DH thinks I'm nuts, and he wanted to find out, but I think I got him to calm down by agreeing to his pick for a boy name ahead of time. I *may* have feigned to be more put off by it than I really am just so I can win this whole Team Green thing. 
  • @MplsKate with my first pregnancy all of my grandmas were so upset I wasn't  finding out the gender! I was super surprised because usually the older generations praise expecting moms for waiting (they can relate since it wasn't an option back then)! I guess they  just wanted to make baby blankets right away lol
  • We didn't find out for our first. I figured we would be having more than one kid so we may as well make it gender neutral from the beginning. With our second we found out b/c i didn't want any dissapointed in the delivery room if it wasn't the other gender. With our third we didn't find out again b/c we had one boy and one girl and everything was still gender neutral. With this one we will be finding out again. I think it's fun both ways. It's really fun to see everyone get so worked up b/c they don't know. :)
  • So I WAS thinking about it for fun, but I don't want to do the tedious task of picking two possible names. I already know we're both opinionated and it's going to take time to agree on just ONE
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @davens I understand the struggle with that too, but I think we'll keep our options open. I don't think we would be 100% on the name until we actually meet our LO, even if we have a girl and boy's name ready. 
    Everyone has a different preference! That's why it's fun to interact here. 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • We are planning on going team green this time. Already have a boy and a girl so we have plenty of stuff. However, I am really into babywearing and it's driving me crazy because I want to have an excuse to switch out some of my wraps and carriers. Plus, we will be going to Disney when baby is about 3 months old and I'm planning family outfits and I don't wanna wait to plan til I have a newborn. Hubby wants me to hold out....we shall see!

• @MrsVP614 I knew I didn't want to pick a name until we met our baby. We had a list of 5/6 boy names and 5/6 girl names. Within 3 minutes of meeting him we had his name and it wasn't on the list
  • We found out with my first 2 and were team green with my last 2, for this baby we're going to be team green again! We loved not knowing! Makes the birth even more exciting. Plus you do save a lot of spending before the baby comes haha
  • Bringing this thread back to life as more people make announcements. 
    Anyone backed out yet or getting wild reactions as you tell people?
    We're telling my parents today, so we'll see!
    I'm already having so much fun looking at gender neutral clothes and nursery ideas. 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • BigBadWolf12BigBadWolf12 member
    edited January 2017
    We got the opposite. We are planning to find out and my FIL was like, well that's no fun. And I was like, it will be more fun for us living so far from everyone (across an ocean)...it will be one extra way for this pregnancy to be more "real" to our families who will hardly ever even see the bump.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• We will definitely be Team Green. We were with DS and it was the greatest surprise!

Tip for those that want to be Green: ALWAYS remind the u/s tech you're not finding out the sex at the start of each and every scan. Even if the same person has scanned you each time. And remind the doctors/nurses too.