January 2016 Moms

2-3-4 awake window

What's your awake window? I'm doing 2hrs 15 ish mins awake, then 1hr.20 mins nap. 3hrs awake, 1hr.20mins nap, 4hrs awake then bedtime. DD has finally started sttn. It's been a long journey. Sleeps 8pm-8am ish. I'm bringing this up because of the babes who are refusing 2nd nap.

Re: 2-3-4 awake window

• I'm surprised your little will go down only after a 2 hour awake time! We are at 4 hour awake times throughout the day. She wakes up around 7am and will nap around 1030/11 for about 2 hours. I'll try to get her down around 430pm for another cat nap but sometimes she just doesn't want it, which is fine, but in that case bedtime is definitely 7pm, or a little later (730/8) if she does take the afternoon catnap. 
  • @grkdss00, yea, she is yawning and rubbing her eyes 2 hrs after sleeping 12hrs stretch!!!. She hasn't been a great sleeper for the longest...but your baby seems to be doing just fine with one long nap, . My baby can't nap longer than 1hr 20 mins whatsoever, i have to stick to 2 naps for now.
  • Loading the player...
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited December 2016
    grkgdss00 said:
    I'm surprised your little will go down only after a 2 hour awake time! We are at 4 hour awake times throughout the day. She wakes up around 7am and will nap around 1030/11 for about 2 hours. I'll try to get her down around 430pm for another cat nap but sometimes she just doesn't want it, which is fine, but in that case bedtime is definitely 7pm, or a little later (730/8) if she does take the afternoon catnap. 
    I'm pretty much the same. Sometimes its 3.5 hours but because she only takes one nap i try and get her to 4 hours. Any earlier she will not nap. Except her bedtime is 630 and she wakes between 6&7. Because she only has one nap I can't stretch her bedtime any later than 630.
  • Mine is pretty similar. Wakes up at 7:00 put him down for his morning nap at 8:45 he's asleep by 9:00, wakes up at 10:15 (this nap has been getting shorter think he'll probably cut it down to 45-1 soon) takes his second nap from 1-3 and down for the night at 7:00. So pretty close to a 2,3,4. 
  • Mine used to be really similar except now it's down for first nap up in 45 minutes... refuse second nap. Wake up extra early from being over tired and repeat :neutral:
  • We have been doing 2-3-4+ (awake at 7ish, nap 9-10:30, nap at 1:30-?)... the last stretch is getting long because the 2nd nap has been only 30 minutes, and a couple days she refuses it. Also, morning wakeups are getting as early as 5:30am so I'm thinking of putting her to bed earlier and hopefully we can get back to a better schedule. 
  • Do you all find that your child is tired 2 hours after waking up? Ive never tried the 2-3-4 method but I don't think LO would fall asleep after 2 hours.. asking because I know nothing! Not asking in a judgy way.. I'm wondering if I should try it but she isnt tired at 2 hours so I'm just wondering if yours are tired or if you just put them down and they go to sleep. At the same time she has a 2.5 hour nap after 3.5-4 hr wake time but only takes one nap so she has a 5-6 hour wake time between nap 1 and bed. 
  • @cali1710, I researched and found out that's what recommended at this age. Please try it. Watch your baby at 2hr mark after they wake up, you will see sleep signs. I lay her in crib in dark room, with white noise, she is out in 3 mins. They shouldn't be staying more than 3 hrs awake except, the 4hrs between last nap and bedtime. This site has saved my life-"Preciouslittlesleep". I learned awake windows there. They shouldn't drop a nap until at least 14-16 months, otherwise you will have a tired baby for few more months. My DD gets average of 14-15hrs daily. 0 morning since 7 months...she has been waking up during growth spurts for "hugs"  :# but is sleeping 12hrs with no wake up for about 2 weeks now. I'm not a sleep expert!! But I think she is taking longer morning nap, because she is slightly overtired. Then has trouble taking 2nd nap because is too rested, which results to longer awake time before bed, resulting to being overtired again!!! Then bad night sleep with multiple wake ups and early rising!!! Hope it makes sense. 
  • @Mamapema thanks! Ill check it out. She doesnt wake up in the night, sleeps 12 hours with no wake ups. But Ill be sure to try putting her down at the 2 hour mark! See if I can get a second nap out of her 
  • I'm in the same boat as everyone too. LO can rarely stay up pass the 2.5 hour mark after waking in the morning. She's like clock work and starts to show signs after being up 2 hours. She only naps about an hour and gets 2 naps a day. There's usually a 4-4.5 hour awake time before bed.
  • @cali1710 my babes pediatrician had set up the two nap "goal" at the 6 month apt for his 9 month mark. Where there is a short nap in the morning and long in the afternoon. He said the first nap refreshes them mentally and afternoon is physically. So in the morning they may not seem "physically" tired but need a short nap to mentally  refresh. My son started to do a lot better around the 10 month mark to this schedule. When we skip the morning nap (when life gets busy) he is a lot more cranky come close to bed time even though he would still take one long nap. 
  • So do you wake them up from their first nap early? Ive tried that a few times and shes so miserable the rest of the day. Even after nap 2. Shes always done a 2.5 hour nap in the morning since 6 months. Then used to have an hour in late afternoon but has refused that for the past month. 
  • @fishee333 what do you do with the morning nap when your babe is waking early at 530?! My guy was sleeping till 645ish and then having the first nap around 9 but when he refuses the second nap and is overtired at bedtime he will wake early the next day and then idk if I should shift all naps earlier since he's tired after 2 hours awake or push that nap until his usual 9! 
  • @amberjinnett...thats very true...1st nap is mentally restoring, 2nd is physically restoring. They are not capable  of consolidate these 2 naps until 14-18 months. "They" may act like they are "ready" but you're the boss.. I'm planning to milk these 2 naps as long as i can.  "Babysleepsite" has great info too about naps.
  • @cali1710 I don't. But like I said it's been more recent that he's been making the switch. Prior he was doing a long nap in the morning around 2 hours and 45 mins to an hour in the afternoon. But it's started to flip in the last month and I can see a big difference. I'd give it a try for a week and see if it works for you guys! After all I'm no expert myself. Just trying to figure out what works for my guy based on his pediatrician advice and my mama instinct. Haha
  • @cali1710, is your baby's first awake window 2hrs? I wouldn't wake them up from long morning nap. Try to give a cat nap. I read somewhere "catnaps are bridges before bedtime, they are not restorative as other naps. Cat naps don't affect bedtime". I remember my baby taking catnaps here and there, when she switched to 2 naps. Catnap never affected her bedtime. But you can cut the catnaps short..your baby may truly be transitioning but it may take looooong time . I'll post the link about "catnaps and bedtime". You just have to find a way to survive few more months
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited December 2016
    @Mamapema thanks! Honestly shes been great with just one nap. Not grumpy (until its pretty much bedtime) and very active. Not whiney or overtired. I just want to make sure developmentally shes getting proper naps in. And no her first awakw window is 3.5 sometimes 4. She refuses to go for a nap before that but I havent tried in a while. May give it another whirl
  • I see what you mean.. try taking her outside or for a short walk to distract her from toys at 2 hrs mark. This has always worked for me..as she becomes more active, running around she will get more tired, may start crashing on you b4 bedtime. My baby is walking unassisted  now, I can see her becoming more and more tired everyday. She barely makes it to 4hrs b4 bedtime..its crazy!!!
  • nackienackie member
    edited December 2016
    We also do a 2-3-4 schedule on weekends.  DS is obviously sleepy at the two hour mark.  His naps are usually about 1.5 hours.  At daycare, they skip the morning nap and he'll sleep 2-2.5 hours, but is much crankier in the evenings.  At night he goes to sleep between 6-6:30 and is up around 6 with 1-2 wake up, depending on how bad the teething is
  • We had been following the 2-3-4 and it was working pretty well, but LO started having trouble falling asleep at the 2 hour mark and would just play in his crib/fuss for 30 minutes. I extended his first wake time to 3 hours and he goes down much more easily now. Usually sleeps 1.5 hours. The second nap is a struggle. By the time he's showing sleepy signs again, it's 4:00/4:30 and I feel like that's too late for a nap (he usually fights it anyway). His wake time before bed is generally 5-6 hours, which I know is too long but I'm having trouble figuring out any other way to do it. He sleeps from 7:15ish to 8:15am with 1-2 wakeups so I feel like he's getting enough sleep for 24 hours, but hate keeping him up so long before bed.
  • We are the same here too. usually 2ish hours then hr to 2 hr nap. then another 3 hours awake and usually 4 before bed. my problem is daycare wants to move her to the next room bc she is so mobile and they have a fixed schedule with only 1, 2 hr nap at 12 noon and she wakes at 6. Any suggestions? I'm so worried for her bc she is the type of kid that loves her sleep.
  • @mestokes thats our problem. Shes not tired at the 2 hr mark. Usually the 3.5 hour mark is when she is tired and goes to sleep. And her last nap wont fall until 430 which is wayyy to late for her nap. She luckily sleeps through the night but between nap 1 and bed shes up for 5-6 hours
  • ekscopp said:
    We are the same here too. usually 2ish hours then hr to 2 hr nap. then another 3 hours awake and usually 4 before bed. my problem is daycare wants to move her to the next room bc she is so mobile and they have a fixed schedule with only 1, 2 hr nap at 12 noon and she wakes at 6. Any suggestions? I'm so worried for her bc she is the type of kid that loves her sleep.
    This is our daycare situation as well.  It's frustrating because I know he still needs his morning nap, but he's adjusting.  The first month or so was rough and he's still cranky in the evenings, but it's getting better by the week.  And we still do two naps whenever he's home.
    Of course, mine is the type of kid to insist that he's not sleepy until he passes out, so there's that as well.

• I have finally decided that I need to wake LO up in the morning in order to preserve the two naps for the day. He's normally ready for Nap 1 after 2.5 hours or so of awake time, but if he doesn't get up by 7:00, 7:15 at the latest, everything gets pushed too late in the day. I am still up with him (normally once) during the night and I am pregnant with #2, so getting myself and him up earlier than necessary is hard but I've got to do it! I know I'm lucky he sleeps as late as he does. 
  • @mamadcb I'm afraid I may need to start waking Graham in the morning if I want him to have 2 naps :neutral: how late would your LO sleep if you didn't wake him?
  • @kaym6 We usually do morning nap 30-60 minutes earlier if she wakes early, but I don't like getting too off schedule or else that messes the rest of the day up
  • @mestokes Sometimes he wakes up between 7:00 and 7:15 on his own, which is great, but he will go to 7:30 often or 7:45 on occasion if I don't wake him... it's not a ton later but enough to push naps out of whack. 
  • LO is all over the place with her naps since she is with a different caretaker many days of the week while I work (depending on the day, she is either with my mom, my sister, or my sister-in-law). All of them do things a little differently. 
    When she's with me on the weekends, she usually wakes up for a bottle anywhere from 5:30-6:30 (that's her wakeup time during the week because I leave for work by 6:30). She will drink a bottle, and usually go back to sleep until around 7:30 or 8:00. Then, she's ready for a nap by about 10:30. She sleeps for 1.5 hours. Then she's ready for a nap by about 4:00, again sleeps for 1.5 hours, and is ready for bedtime by 8:00 or 8:30. 
    We chose this schedule for LO because DH doesn't get home from work until 6:30 every night, and if we put her to bed much earlier, he wouldn't be able to spend any time with her.
    Luckily, LO is VERY versatile. She kind of follows whatever schedule I want her to. I think that has to do with the fact that she is all over the place during the week. I'm grateful for such an easygoing baby. Even if she skips a nap, or is put down for a nap "late," she's happy. Like I said, I think she has adapted because she has had to. 
  • DS wakes up around 7-8am and goes down by 8pm. Usually he will take 2 naps but sometimes it's only 1. On 2 nap days, both are 2 hrs and the time between is roughly 2, 2.5, 4. On 1 nap days the length is 3.5hrs and awake times are 4 and 5ish hours. We just kind of go with the flow and let him sleep when he wants to during the day but keep bedtime at 7:30 every night.