October 2016 Moms

All Things Breastfeeding

Re: All Things Breastfeeding

• Now that I think about it, I recall getting a blood blister on my nip from DD, I forgot about the possibility of thrush, and the lumps that clogged ducts cause. I got lumps in my armpits with DS from clogged ducts. Totally forgot about all that...
  • So dispute having a very positive start, in the last 48 hours my supply has tanked and tonight Olivia has been refusing to nurse. She's just spitting out the boob and crying. I'm trying to pump but I'm getting almost nothing. DH is giving her a bottle right now and I'm heartbroken. 

• Loading the player...
  • My LO is cluster feeding as he's only 4 days old today and my milk just came in. Oh my god is it ever painful! The latch! In the first few seconds! The nurses told me my nips just need to toughen up/get used to it.... OMG I hope that comes soon,!!! 
  • It does hurt at first, Kittens22 but once the latch improves, it gets better. I heard it was wrong that nipples have to "toughen up." Breastfeeding should not hurt. If it does, there is a problem and the latch may need to be corrected. My baby had latch issues but I'd just break suction if it hurt, and just try again. 
  • @kittens22 Nipple shields and Lanolin were the only way I survived the first 2 weeks because of the pain.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks guys!!! I will be waiting for that day when it improves.... Sigh...

I got a nipple shield yesterday and it's been helpful. It's different in that I can't tell as much if he's getting milk- just cause I can't see it and I'm being paranoid, tho. He's sucking and swallowing actively. 

• My breastfeeding journey is coming to an end I'm afraid. I've been battling my supply and stressing over it for too long. Everybody is so much happier when I can just heat up a bottle of formula and get him fed. I'm pretty depressed about it though... I spent so much money on my pump, and I wanted SO badly to get at least 3 months in of breastfeeding ;( and I'm going to miss the closeness of it.
  • @AllyTheKid I'm sorry. letting go of breastfeeding is very hard. 

• sorry @AllyTheKid - gotta do what's best for everyone sometimes :neutral:
  • Anyone else still around that's EBF?  Do you feel like your stuck doing it all the time?  Some days I just feel like a slave to BF. We did introduce a bottle so hopefully that'll help some times. Anyone have any tips on how to, for lack of a better word, enjoy it?  I heard about how it was a great way to bond but I have to say I'm not feeling that way. 
  • Anyone else still around that's EBF?  Do you feel like your stuck doing it all the time?  Some days I just feel like a slave to BF. We did introduce a bottle so hopefully that'll help some times. Anyone have any tips on how to, for lack of a better word, enjoy it?  I heard about how it was a great way to bond but I have to say I'm not feeling that way. 
    I'm still EBF, and it can be hard sometimes, especially if baby is having a growth spurt. I don't have any tips though- I think it's just enjoyable sometimes and less enjoyable other times, you know? It also helps that my LO is a really efficient eater now, so each feeding takes less time than it used to. Hang in there!
  • I'm still bfing. I have to tell you, with my first I absolutely hated it. I never felt that special bonding that you're supposed to feel. I lasted 10 months with my first, and only did it because I knew it was "best", but I completely tortured myself trying to make it to a year. This time around I decided that I'd do it until I didn't want to anymore because I refuse to torture myself over it again.  That mindset has helped so much. Most days I don't mind it, but there are still times that I just don't want to do it, and on those times I give him a bottle of formula. My only advice is don't make yourself miserable. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone, and some people just don't love it or feel that bond doing it. Nothing is wrong with that. Give yourself small goals, and remember there's nothing wrong with a bottle too!
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Ugh, yes. I hate how even if I want someone to give her a bottle, I still have to put in the time pumping. Personally I am hanging in there until my maternity leave is over and after that, if I have to supplement with formula, so be it. Mine went from shorter feedings to longer feedings and sometimes she just wants to eat constantly like she's in a continuous growth spurt. This may or may not be related to her insomnia (I know I'm hungrier if I get less sleep.)

• Ugh, yes. I hate how even if I want someone to give her a bottle, I still have to put in the time pumping. Personally I am hanging in there until my maternity leave is over and after that, if I have to supplement with formula, so be it. Mine went from shorter feedings to longer feedings and sometimes she just wants to eat constantly like she's in a continuous growth spurt. This may or may not be related to her insomnia (I know I'm hungrier if I get less sleep.)
    This is exactly what's happening to me. Her feedings went from shorter to longer which basically leads into the next feeding since she normally feeds every 2 hrs. So I've basically been sitting here feeding her since 9:15 and Its now 12:50. Where is she putting it??  I know she's getting milk because she's gaining and has tons of dirty diapers. I was expecting her to feed for less time and start spacing out feedings as she got older but it's been the opposite. 
    This is exactly what's happening to me. Her feedings went from shorter to longer which basically leads into the next feeding since she normally feeds every 2 hrs. So I've basically been sitting here feeding her since 9:15 and Its now 12:50. Where is she putting it??  I know she's getting milk because she's gaining and has tons of dirty diapers. I was expecting her to feed for less time and start spacing out feedings as she got older but it's been the opposite. 
    Huh that's odd. How old is your LO? Grayson is 9 weeks and he eats usually for about 10 minutes every 2 hours. Of course he has his days when he wants to comfort nurse, particularly when he's going through a leap, but typically he doesn't take long to nurse these days. We just went to his 2 month appt and the dr said she expects feedings of 15 minutes or less because they get more efficient at eating. If your LO's feedings are typically much longer I would probably mention it to the dr.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LGW2015 She is 6 wks 3 days. I thought it was weird too that she was increasing time. But i wonder if it is comfort nursing. I don't normally give her a paci but today she nursed for about 30 mins and I took her off to burp her and then gave it to her and she seemed content. Def plan to bring it up to the DR. 
  • 10-15 min feelings would be awesome. Looking forward to that!
  • Even with LO nursing for 45 mins+ I'm having some engorement in my right breast. Came out of no where. Wonder if it's because she's sleeping longer at night and only having one night feeding. If I pump (to have bottles on hand jic) it's normally after first feed and I only do it for 10 mins. I'm wondering if I should do it before I go to bed instead. Any suggestions?
  • Even with LO nursing for 45 mins+ I'm having some engorement in my right breast. Came out of no where. Wonder if it's because she's sleeping longer at night and only having one night feeding. If I pump (to have bottles on hand jic) it's normally after first feed and I only do it for 10 mins. I'm wondering if I should do it before I go to bed instead. Any suggestions?
    Can you actually hear her swallowing while she's nursing?
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • It sounds like your LO may have a latch issue @Ladybug2821?
    Maybe she isn't actually efficiently eating and emptying the breasts. Is there a lactation consultant you can talk to about this? I am no expert, but I don't think it should be taking thst long, or that you shoukd still be experiencing engorgement after that long of a feeding.
  • I think so. I think I need to pay more attention to see when she actually stops swallowing. 
  • @AllyTheKid i do use a nippleahield because we did have a latching issue. Every once in awhile I will put her on without it but then my nipples are super sore after. Is the nipple shield not giving her enough and causing the lengthy feeds??
  • @Ladybug2821 I too had to use the nipple shield for about a month. I finally gave it up and just let my nipples get use to it without it and we are finally doing good. I would encourage you to do the same, I think my little guy has become more efficient too, which helps. 
    Kimberly
    DS #1 11/08/10
    DS #2 due 10/20/16
  • @Ladybug2821 I was using a nipple shield for the first few weeks and Willow wasn't gaining weight like she should. Once we determined that she didn't have a tongue or lip tie, I saw a lactation consultant who told me that the nipple shield makes the baby work harder to get milk (because there is another barrier to work through) and she was burning extra calories just to eat. I stopped using the shield and now I have a very efficient eater! 
    That's just my experience, so it may not resolve the issue for you, but I just wanted to offer it. Good luck!
  • @ball4768 In the beginning we needed the nipple shield to help her gain weight but I can definitely see how it would be more work.  Luckily she's still gaining weight but I want to work to elimatinate it. Also I think I've determined she's been doing a lot of comfort sucking. How come something that is suppose to be natural is so hard?? Ughhh
  • @ball4768 oh and thanks for sharing your experience!
  • what kind of diet is everyone eating to keep up with demand?  I think I read BFing burns 500 calories per day. I'm constantly starving and find that nothing really keeps me full. Unfortunately I'm also eating quite a bit of junk because it's quick and easy. Anyone have something that is fulfilling or a healthy quick option?  The best and easiest thing for me has been lean cuisines. 
  • **** lurker from D16********
    what kind of diet is everyone eating to keep up with demand?  I think I read BFing burns 500 calories per day. I'm constantly starving and find that nothing really keeps me full. Unfortunately I'm also eating quite a bit of junk because it's quick and easy. Anyone have something that is fulfilling or a healthy quick option?  The best and easiest thing for me has been lean cuisines. 

Oatmeal is wonderful. It should keep you full longer, helps with supply, and has many different types of prep. From instant to steelcut to overnight.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @Kate08Young I actually eat 2 packets of oatmeal every day for breakfast because I heard it helps with supply. Surprisingly though it doesn't keep me full that long even with eating 2 packets  :/
  • While I was BFing, I just ate whatever whenever. My hips are paying for it now, but I was ravenous!
    I do if fact believe your nipple shields may be the culprits here, give it a few gos without them if you can? And if LO takes a paci, that will help with comfort sucking!
  • mommym234mommym234 member
    edited December 2016
    As far as diet, I've been eating foods with a lot of good fats such as avocados, lots of coconut oil, trying to eat lots of nuts, like almonds, and making sure every meal or snack has protein. 
    Also keep up on fruits and green leafy. And drink lots of water. A normal day for me starts with some oats(I like steal cut personally), an egg or two a couple slices of bacon and an orange or grapefruit. Around 2 hours later I'll have some avocado toast and a hard boiled egg. I'll also usually have a chocolate around mid morning and a cup of tea. For lunch I usually have a salad or sandwich if a salad it has chicken, eggs, beans, nuts, and a good fatty dressing. I usually have 2 afternoon snacks one of either a handful of nuts or some cheese and one that's a sweet roll or cookies and coffee. Dinner is whatever we decide to make, and I usually keep a protein bar by my bed in case I get hungry in the middle of the night. Feeding a baby is hungry work. Also my midwife recommended keeping a water bottle everywhere you are nursing and drink every time you nurse. 

I am also tandem nursing. I'm trying to nurse my first till he's 2. The last couple of weeks has been a bit harder since ds has decided he hates cow milk and refuses a bottle unless we are in the car. He wants to nurse every time she does and has a hard time waiting his turn. Some days I feel like a milk cow
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mommym234 wow you sound like a super hero. Unless H is here holding the baby I basically only have like 5-10 mins to try to prepare something to eat. So everything needs to be quick.  I can't even cook dinner, H has had to take that on because LO is always attached to me somehow. I'm thinking about using the carrier in the house so I can actually get things done. 
  • A lot of it I pre-prepare when dh can help, or do things one handed. My moby also helps a ton. I had to figure something out because I was getting really fatigued and couldn't keep up with the kids, I still have a hard time a lot of days. I keep cheese sticks and vegi sticks in the fridge ready to eat, boil a few extra eggs so I have a few in the fridge( if I can pre-peel them I do, and I pre-make the steel cut oats the night before so they heat really quickly. I also usually keep some chia pudding in the fridge just in case I don't have time to make a hot breakfast. Another easy protein is plain yogurt. 
    One of my lazy dinners is baked yams, I just stab them with a fork, and bake them like potatoes. Add a salad and some nights thats dinner. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So I have started not using the nipple shield for a few sessions and have paid more attention to see if she is actually swallowing. Some sessions have been 20-30 mins which is awesome compared to what they were but then today she kept acting like she was starving from 2:30-4:30. Is it possible she drained the first breast and needed the second?  I normally only feed from one side at a time. Or could it be her latch?  When I listened she was pretty much swallowing the entire time. 
  • BabySunshine4BabySunshine4 member
    edited December 2016
     I've only bf in public a couple of times and it was while I was in a semi private place. I feel embarrassed and get nervous when the LO starts to cry because he is hungry.  I have been pumping and taking a bottle when I go out, but it would be so much easier just to feed in public. Any tips when it comes to feeding in public?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @BabySunshine4 I don't have any advice because I feel the same as you and also bring a bottle. But id like to see what others have to say. 
  • @BabySunshine4 Do you have a nursing cover? For me, I get nervous when my baby is old enough to pull the cover off.  :) I wouldn't say that I feel comfortable doing it in public, but I just cover up and hope for the best. 
  • I've nursed in public a few times and use my Milk Snob cover which is awesome. I also wear two shirts, a tight fitting cami then a loose shirt over so I'm always covered. Knowing that, I feel more comfortable. I just figure the baby has to eat just like anyone else. It's so much easier than bringing a bottle and more comfortable (no super full boobies) too!
    Kimberly
    DS #1 11/08/10
    DS #2 due 10/20/16
  • I have a breastfeeding cover that doubles as a scarf and when I go in public places I wear nursing tops. I think when the baby starts to fuss I feel like everyone is already staring at me which then I feel embarrassed to bf.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I felt uncomfortable at first with ds, but wearing a nursing top or t shirt with a camisole so I felt covered without a cover was really helpful. Ds hated being covered and would get more fussy or pull off the cover, so I ended up just going with it. My child was hungry, so I fed him wherever. I got more used to it over time. That being said, I still generally try to find a quieter place if at all possible. No one has ever bugged me about it. 

Pregnancy Ticker