October 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Breastfeeding

Re: All Things Breastfeeding

• Options
    I am still pretty confused about breastfeeding overall, but I think that the most important message I got from my breastfeeding class was not to overcomplicate things if you don't absolutely have to... initially just focus on trying to breastfeed whenever baby is showing signs of hunger (and/or every 2-3 hrs).  Don't try to pump (unless things aren't working out and you need to) until your milk supply is established in a month or so, and don't introduce bottles or pacifiers in that time either.  

Other strategies might work for other people, but I think trying to look ahead too much initially would just stress me out.  At first I was annoyed that my hospital has two separate classes for breastfeeding basics and for pumping, but I think it's helpful to separate them and cut down on the info overload a little bit.   I'm also super glad our pediatrician has a LC available for free if needed!
    Yes! That's exactly what I took from my class as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pumping can be fairly complicated unfortunately! But the good news is that once you get the swing of things, it becomes routine very quickly. 
  • Options
    So I just ordered a pretty good nursing bra and thought I would share for my large busted ladies! 

My boobs don't look as great as they do in normal bra but it's a vast improvement from anything else I have tried! The site also has 25% off right now. Its pretty full coverage so it might be hard to wear with a low v cut top but the band and straps are very supportive and soft. I feel it runs true to size- pre pregnancy I was a 32G and I ordered this in a 34H and it fits well! It might be a little tight if I get super engorged but that shouldn't last a long time. 

https://www.barenecessities.com/cake-lingerie-croissant-spacer-nursing-bra-24-1016_product.htm?pf_id=CakeLingerie241016
  • Options
    I forgot how painful the cervix-shrinking contractions can be while breastfeeding.  Ouch!
  • Options
    I forgot how painful the cervix-shrinking contractions can be while breastfeeding.  Ouch!
     No kidding, I am still getting those bad boys, the first few days after delivery they definitely rivaled labor contractions  :s Not as bad now, buy sheesh.
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid- I used the symphony at home for about 8 months with DS until it crapped out, and the rental place replaced it with a lactina. HOLY crap if you want to talk suction, I'm pretty sure the lactina is the reason my nips will never be the same. 

@serenaxo84- great tip, you should cross post in deals & steals! Cake bras are fantastic. I just got the cotton candy and fig mousse, I'm excited to try them. I pumped so much with DS that I was hesitant to stray from my standard pumping/nursing combo bra I used with him, but I know that this time the reality is that I won't have the time to EP if I need to with this baby. So it's going to be nursing, formula, or a combination of the two - will only pump once I return to work. 
  • Options
     No kidding, I am still getting those bad boys, the first few days after delivery they definitely rivaled labor contractions  :s Not as bad now, buy sheesh.
    I told my husband it's like being in labor.  They should give me an epidural to go home.  And apparently the reason i don't remember it from last time is that it's mild with your first and much worse with each subsequent pregnancy.
  • Options
    @ignoscemihi My OB has a joke about PP contractions, he says "1st pregnancy Ibuprofen, 2nd pregnancy Tylenol 3, 3rd pregnancy NARCOTIC"
    He wasn't kidding, if I weren't terrified of getting constipated I would have gladly accepted something stronger than Motrin!
  • Options
    Oh. Boo :neutral: I was going to say that it really wasn't that bad with DS. Sigh, one more recovery thing to look forward to!
  • Options
    @allythekid i am jealous. i get like 1-1.5 combined 
  • Options
    mrszoess said:
    @allythekid i am jealous. i get like 1-1.5 combined 
    It will come. Oh, it will come.
  • Options
    My breasts were only engorged for a couple days but that was the most miserable pain ever! I would have taken double the crotch soreness to avoid that. 
    Tip: warmth, not cold to make them feel better! 
  • Options
    mrszoess said:
    GUYS DO THE THING WHERE YOU CUT HOLES IN THE OLD BRA TO MAKE A PUMPING BRA. it works fantastic!!!!
    This is my plan until I go back to work I think. I don't want to have to spend more money right now ha
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @ibabyloveb87 almost 5wpp EPing and its all I use. I also plan to bring it to work to change in and out of to pump. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    My babe seems to want to feed all night and will not get any sleep. So no sleep for me. I am breast feeding her throughout the night when she wants, but she does not seem to settle like she does with a day feed. My question is, does my milk production decrease at night? Is it possible she isn't getting anything? She does throw up at night so I am assuming she does get something. They are short feeds. I have a blocked milk duct under my right armpit I found this afternoon and also am wondering if it is becasue of the short feeds? This evening I used a warm compress, massaged and pumped that breast, but the lump under my armpit is still golf-ball sized and sensitive to touch. So discouraged. 
  • Options
    @littlewillie2016 you produce more between the hours of 1-5am. Maybe it's too fast of a flow making baby spit up?

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited October 2016
    mkc3888 said:
    @ibabyloveb87 almost 5wpp EPing and its all I use. I also plan to bring it to work to change in and out of to pump. 
    Girlfriend. Take it from an ex-EP mom, please get yourself a good pumping bra before you go back to work! Changing bras, juggling pumping and working and storing milk, cleaning parts.... all while sleep deprived from a newborn. Just get a bra for pumping that you can wear to work. You will thank me. 

ETA: @littlewillie2016 - @mkc3888 is right, milk volume production actually picks up overnight. However it will have less fat content than your evening milk. As for your clogged duct, DO NOT let it sit. You need to get that gone asap, or it can quickly turn into mastitis. Take a hot shower, use a compress, nurse, get on the pump and turn that bad boy WAY up (comfortably of course) and massage that breast like it's your job til it's gone. Especially if it's as large as you say, and tender. You'd be amazed how quickly that situation can go bad. Hopefully this is a fluke due to your milk not being regulated yet, but if you discover it's a recurring situation, look into buying some lecithin, it does wonders. 
  • Options
    @littlewillie2016 Are your night feeds short because baby is falling back asleep? She may be too sleepy to nurse long enough. She's probably getting milk, just not as much as should could because she's too tired to work at it. When she wakes, undress her completely and do a diaper change to wake her up a little more. Then keep her naked while you nurse so she'll stay awake longer. 
  • Options
    @littlewillie2016 Are your night feeds short because baby is falling back asleep? She may be too sleepy to nurse long enough. She's probably getting milk, just not as much as should could because she's too tired to work at it. When she wakes, undress her completely and do a diaper change to wake her up a little more. Then keep her naked while you nurse so she'll stay awake longer. 
    Tried and true. +1
  • Options
    @NoraAurora would you mind recommending a pumping bra. I'm a bigger girl and have such a hard time finding a good bra. That why I just planned to wear my regular bra and change to pump. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited October 2016
    mkc3888 said:
    @NoraAurora would you mind recommending a pumping bra. I'm a bigger girl and have such a hard time finding a good bra. That why I just planned to wear my regular bra and change to pump. 
    Totally. I'm going to link this article from Lucie's List too- she includes pumping bras with just nursing bras but the Rumina, Belibea and Arden are all for pumping:
    https://www.lucieslist.com/best-nursing-bras/

If you're over DD I would recommend the Arden- of the options I've seen, it goes up to the largest size at 44H. This is the bra I used personally with DS for nearly a year, and I can testify that while the straps got looser (after a hundred or so washes) it held up beautifully, and got the job done with basically 24 hour/day wear (I did end up buying two so that I would have it ready). It is spendy but worth it. 
  • Options
    mkc3888mkc3888 member
    edited October 2016
    @NoraAurora I'd like the DN but I've never been able to get her to latch. Maybe one day

ETA. thanks for the recommendations. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    So, I have an over abundance of pumped milk that accumulated while Johnny was in the NICU. Would it be weird to give Jimmy some in his sippy cup? He's 14-months-old and would never know the difference... I have this awkward reservation I can't put my finger on about it, but I don't see any actual cons either.
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I would freeze it since I'm going to work soon, but I think it's fine to give it to jimmy. The who actually recommends that babies be breast fed until 24 months. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    @mkc3888 I have a bunch in the freezer already is why I ask, more than I could ever catch Johnny up on at this point. I think I'll give him one tube a day to help lighten up the load.
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid in that case go for it. It's good for him and hopefully he'll enjoy it :)

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    @ allythekid if I had it I would totally give it to DS, he's under 2 still. Maybe get rid of the oldest stuff first?

@mkc3888 - what is the DN? I'm not familiar with that, unless I'm spacing.
  • Options
    @NoraAurora That's the plan, Stan. FI thinks it's creepy though. 
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid totally not creepy.  If he'll drink it, go for it.  If he won't take it, you could look into donating your extra to a milk bank.
  • Options
     @NoraAurora I thought you meant DN instead of DD.  DN is direct nursing.  I'm trying to get back in with the LC before I go back to work.  

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    mkc3888 said:
     @NoraAurora I thought you meant DN instead of DD.  DN is direct nursing.  I'm trying to get back in with the LC before I go back to work.  
    sorry, my post wasn't very clear - you prob figured it out but I meant breast size DD or more :) here's hoping that you can get back to direct nursing though! But if you do find yourself EPing, it is do-able. 
  • Options
    Tried and true. +1
    Actually this helped me too
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @ignoscemihi During our stay in the NICU, I informed FI that if we had any left over once the babe is done, I want to donate it. He had no idea you can donate breastmilk, and after being around all the tiny and sick babies for a over a week, he thought that was the best idea ever.
    (Yet he still thinks it's creepy to want to give extra to LO. He's an odd bird.)
  • Options
    @NoraAurora Right?? And its not like this kid hasn't had my milk before.

• Options
    mrsman2018mrsman2018 member
    edited October 2016
    @mommathoner I'll try that tonight.