February 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms (11/28)

Re: Weekly Randoms (11/28)

• @NiceyMeany I don't think you'll know until you try. Maybe plan for him to get up with you two for the first several days at home and see how it goes - continue the practice if you need to, let H sleep if you don't. I did all the MOTN stuff myself since I figured I had to get up anyway, no sense in both of us being sleep deprived and I don't remember any issues with my own sleepiness due to BF...
  • MommaBean said:
    @NiceyMeany I don't think you'll know until you try. Maybe plan for him to get up with you two for the first several days at home and see how it goes - continue the practice if you need to, let H sleep if you don't. I did all the MOTN stuff myself since I figured I had to get up anyway, no sense in both of us being sleep deprived and I don't remember any issues with my own sleepiness due to BF...
    This was us. 
    If I had trouble he would get up, but I didn't see any point in getting him up just to put the baby in bed. 
    Although we ended up bedsharing because she had to be touching me at all times, so take that with a grain of salt. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We bedshared too. You will find what works best for you and what doesn't... I'd just be open to all scenarios!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I know this was hours ago but I was busy at work and couldn't respond earlier. 

you guys are walking a slippery slope with your c/s commentary. C/S moms get a lot of shit for not being real moms and "failing" at birth and something your body is supposed to "know" how to do. Recovery can be fucking brutal and have a lot of added physical issues on top of having a new baby that you're trying to take care of. Listening to statistics about the rates of unnecessary c/s and how gross it is to see one just adds to people's feelings of failure.  Getting your baby out of you safely for you and your little is the most important thing and all births are beautiful even the ones where you're puking all over yourself or shitting on the table. 

Thank you @PerraSucia! This will be my 3rd c-section, and I'm fine with it now, but after my 1st one, instead of feeling like "yay I just brought a baby into this world" I felt more like "wow, I suck. I can't even birth a baby" 

Although, I am totally against unnecessary c-sections, you just have to do whatever it takes to get your baby born safely! 
  • Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @foxrosy first I don't believe that UC Davis had a 90% rate unless something has dramatically changed from 2011

https://www.sacbee.com/site-services/databases/article4129666.html

Second, watching a baby tear through a vagina isn't beautiful either.  Saying someone else's birth is gruesome is pretty unsupportive and fear mongering.  

• foxrosy said:
    I'm not at all saying mom's have failed if they have a C-section. I know their recovery is much more difficult as they have underwent major surgery. Anyone who gives shit or has the audacity to say they arent real moms should shut the fuck up.
     I will also say that rotating at a hospital where their C-section rate is in the 90s is not a good thing and is more of a reflection on how some doctors are quick to perform a C-section for a lot of riduculous reasons. And I'm not saying all doctors are quick to do this, but many are being trained to have a low threshold for C-section. High C-section rates in our country is not speculation, it is a fact. And none of the blame or responsibility should fall on the moms. I got into the medical field to advocate for patients. I fiercely believe in protecting them and that includes challenging possible unnecessary C-sections as the recovery and future ramifications are real. 
    And yes, I have witnessed C-sections in person. It was not gross, but it was hard to watch. So was a knee replacement, rhinoplasty or appendectomy. Surgery in general is quite gruesome to watch, but obviously very necessary at times. 
    THIS. Any moms who think c-section moms arent "real" can STFU. Birth is hard to watch too and grosses some people out. I didn't see any comments here from ppl saying c-sections are gross or moms should be shamed- maybe I missed them? If I missed them, I am sorry for not calling that BS out.

That being said  high c-section rates are a concern for a lot of reasons-- particularly bc they aren't ideal for the health of moms. They carry a lot of risk and should only be used when absolutely necessary for the health of mom and baby. They are necessary in many cases, but probably not 40+% so there are other factors at play.
  • Hot damn this thread is hitting me in the feels tonight. 

• @PerraSucia Yes, I did not check the statistics when I was there prior to 2011, it was what I was told by the L&D staff while I did my rotation. And as I said previously my group of nursing students didn't see as many vaginal births because so many women had c-sections. But at other hospitals where my peers were assigned were seeing vaginal births like crazy, which was awesome! It was also awesome to get to witness surgeries during that rotation. So while I don't know the actual stats, I know that at the time the rates were higher than what some of the staff and my instructors thought was normal and this opened up dialogue about unnecessary C-sections. 

Im not trying to stir up unnecessary fear for any mom or person who could be in the room while a woman is delivering via c-section. I can say that the response of mom and dad seeing their newborn was beautiful. It was a brand new life. A baby born is precious and amazing no matter how it got here. And holding a leg of a woman who is farting and pooping and tearing is also gruesome. And the outcome is also amazing and beautiful. 

I believe C-sections should only be used as a medical necessity of last resort as it protects mom and baby. Not all doctors follow this and that's not ok. And I'm not necessarily even placing blame on the doctors as many of them have been trained that way, or come up against push back from insurance. It's more of a problem with our health system over all. 

Im on the side of mom's, women and babies. If what I have said previously caused fear or felt like a put down I sincerely apologize, that was never my intent. 

And during my delivery I was presented with the option to have a mirror to watch my delivery, and I said hell no. I didn't want to see my vagina pushing a baby out as it would have mortified me. That's just me though. **Kanye shrug**
  • @kswiger06 thanks for sharing your routine. I have heard of EP moms who lay baby across their lap or in a boppy and feed while they pump in the MOTN. Seems like something that sounds easy enough and would save time but is probably a bit more difficult to actually perform. 
  • @becbec28 we are almost twins. We are putting up the tree tonight, my shower is tomorrow, but work Christmas party is next week. I hope you have a great time at your shower!
  • @kswiger06 thanks for sharing your routine. I have heard of EP moms who lay baby across their lap or in a boppy and feed while they pump in the MOTN. Seems like something that sounds easy enough and would save time but is probably a bit more difficult to actually perform. 
    That must be awesome for the people who can pull it off, but I just couldn't do that lol. It seems like it would be rough trying to get baby burped and not drop/lose anything. I'd end up having milk going all over, and cords tangled up haha... I need more hands
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @becbec28 we are almost twins. We are putting up the tree tonight, my shower is tomorrow, but work Christmas party is next week. I hope you have a great time at your shower!
    Thanks! You too!!
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    @kswiger06 thanks for sharing your routine. I have heard of EP moms who lay baby across their lap or in a boppy and feed while they pump in the MOTN. Seems like something that sounds easy enough and would save time but is probably a bit more difficult to actually perform. 
    That must be awesome for the people who can pull it off, but I just couldn't do that lol. It seems like it would be rough trying to get baby burped and not drop/lose anything. I'd end up having milk going all over, and cords tangled up haha... I need more hands
    I agree, that sounds amazing. But I never could have pulled it off. I had to pump when she was in her swing or something!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @becbec28 @SawyerRichardson My shower is tomorrow, too! Hope you both have wonderful days!
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @becbec28 @SawyerRichardson @MoonOverGoldsboro my shower is tomorrow as well! I hope everyone enjoys!  :)
  • +1 shower tomorrow train!
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited December 2016
    @HeatSparks I just wanted to check in and see how you and the babies are doing after that NST, and how the modified bed rest is going. :)

Stupid auto correct
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @marriedhamstermom is your H giving classes? My H is feeling overwhelmed with the safety stuff
  • @lfrank12  And yet I'm still staring blankly at my phone waiting for something lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    @lfrank12  And yet I'm still staring blankly at my phone waiting for something lol
    Come to the dark side!
  • Blah... I am sick, being sick and pregnant sucks. This is putting a hamper on all the work I need to do in the house too. When I cough it even hurts my stomach area, blah...

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Hope you feel better soon @skiingstark!

I'm not sick but I'm feeling pretty crappy. It's 9 am and I have no energy. I just wanna go back to bed and sleep all day.... but I can't. DS has a birthday party to go to in an hour and I have to pick up some groceries. H went into work today but told me he would try and be home for about 1-2 pm so I could get a decent nap in before we go to my parents for dinner.

What's everyone else up to today?
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14