February 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms (11/28)

Re: Weekly Randoms (11/28)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 +1 that your feelings are very valid. We don't drink very often but Monday night H got a drink that I actually like and we haven't had in forever and I was jealous for the first time that I couldn't drink. And I totally get the birthday and purchases. H really wants this big ticket item for Christmas and all I can think is "that's money that needs to go to something else and you're not going to use it once baby gets here". I'm just hoping that if I'm still pregnant on my b-day that H even does anything, as bad as that sounds. Men just don't think the same way and, like you said, they can't experience this like we do. With everything going on and hormones, we're lucky to still have some sanity at the end of 9 months!
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks @WinchesterGirl. You're totally right and I doubt he'd even mind. He's actually been so amazing and is doing pretty much everything "right" during this pregnancy. It would be silly if I made him stop drinking all the time of course (it's never to excess or anything) but I don't think he'd mind for my birthday since it would be more fun for me to have us on the same page. I'm pretty sure exciting beer for later is actually going to be my birthday present since he's at a conference this week right next to an amazing brewery that we rarely get to. 

Thanks to you too @becbec28! If it makes you feel better, H is mainly all about the birthdays because it's the only time we let ourselves splurge on nice restaurant meals! Is your birthday right around your EDD?
  • Options
    I totally hear you on this @Xstatic3333.  My H has been really great about everything while I've been pregnant also, but it is still hard.  I really can't wait to be a full adult again either - and we have actually already made plans at some of our favorite fancy restaurants post baby since right now it just doesn't sound fun to me.  This is sort of how I felt about a babymoon as well, and we are planning trips for after baby as well since I will enjoy the trip more when I have my body back (mostly/hopefully!) and can drink and have a good time.  H really hasn't been drinking much at all (since we are wine drinkers he hasn't really wanted to crack open a good a bottle if I'm only having a small splash of it) - so that has helped for sure with my jealousy.   I think being pregnant is hard and is such an adjustment, and as much as a supportive partner matters, you are still sort of dealing with the change by yourself - but we are in the home stretch now!!
  • Options
    This is completely random, but I was trying to find out what my hospital's c-section rate is, and I found a website which helps you find the stats for your state.

Thebirthsurvey.com has a state listing and it tells you what specific site to use for your state, if anyone else is curious.

Anywho, Florida doesn't tell you by the hospital but you can get down to county level. My tri-county area averages 33% c-sections, but I noticed there are two counties which have a 48% c-section rate! Holy smokes that is a lot.

Does anyone know a resource where you can find out by hospital?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl some hospitals post their own statistics.  California publishes the rates for all hospitals - mine has 28.7%.  And I think that Consumer Reports has a guide for hospital c-section rates around the country as well if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 My birthday is 1/22, EDD is 1/30, plus GD so who knows lol
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited December 2016
    @WinchesterGirl I'd ask your Bradley instructor. My birth class instructor knew my hospital's CS rate. It was 33%, which seems high to me but I really have no frame of reference. I'm guessing that my practice's is probably lower than that. 
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl I'd ask your Bradley instructor. My birth class instructor knew my hospital's CS rate. It was 33%, which seems high to me but I really have no frame of reference. I'm guessing that my practice's is probably lower than that. 
    I could be wrong because this was 2.5 years ago but when I took the tour at my first hospital I remember her saying the national average was about 33 percent. But that it varies drastically depending on your area and hospital. The hospital in my county probably has more like 50 percent whereas the one I'm delivering at is closer to 28. 
  • Options
    I asked my OB and she said about 16% which I was ecstatic about. In school I did an L&D rotation at UC Davis and theirs was in the 90s!!!
  • Options
    My local hospital has a 35% C-section rate, which my midwives seem to think is high, but going off what you're all saying, it sounds pretty average. I do know there was one OB at the hospital whose answer to anything and everything was "C-section", and he just retired last year, so I wonder how much he was skewing the stats and if it will come down in the next few years....
  • Options
    yogadevil said:
    @WinchesterGirl my hospital provides its own stats, but I also know that some hospitals have inflated C section rates- for instance anyone that's high risk or has known complications is required to deliver at a hospital with higher level care staff/nursery that can accomodate them. So those hospitals, since they receive more cases like that, will automatically be a bit higher in their CS stats. 

This makes sense, and also makes my hospital's 33% sound a lot better since it also has the highest level NICU in the state.

The one thing I learned that made me nervous during birth class is that the hospital has a policy that everyone delivers within 12-14 hours of admission. If it hasn't happened on it's own by then, they will find a way to "help" you. I'm with midwives, who of course have a bit of a different philosophy, so it'll be interesting to see how it all comes together. 
  • Options
    @scottipino agree with everything you said. It was such a boring rotation for many of us because it seemed hardly no one had vaginal births. I got lucky because I go to to see a few and observe C-sections, which was awful!
  • Options
    I read through the December mom story and also looked up the March baby story and I'm officially going to start looking for a refresher class on labor.  Let's all hang strong and not have any crazy stories here!   

As far as getting up in the middle of the night it probably doesn't count with my first because they were twins and if both of them were up we were both up because if I was nursing I only did one at a time and the other one got a bottle. But I also discovered much to my chagrin that one of my first maternal instincts while sleeping upon hearing a crying baby was to wake my husband and tell him there was a baby crying. It didn't seem to matter what I thought was going on my first instinct was to send him in there first.

With my youngest she was exclusively breastfed but we also did a lot of not quite intentional co-sleeping. If she needed a diaper change I would make him go do that and then he could give her back to me and go back to sleep.   I do agree with a bunch of people about the waking him up just to be mean because if I'm up you're up isn't cool, but if there are some underlying issues there including postpartum depression or she doesn't feel safe with the baby or she scared about dropping the baby or anything else then yeah it's his job to get up too.  

Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @MissMerciBeaucoup Well, I checked consumer reports, and they have no birth stats on any of the hospitals near me (there must not be much reporting here). However, we did schedule a hospital tour, so I will ask then!

I was mainly curious because there are about 4 different hospital companies here, and I was curious of any of them were wildly different.

ETA: @yogadevil that makes sense, and the hospital I am going to deliver at does have a NICU and is central to the city. So, it's rates may be inflated. Hopefully they can give us details during the tour!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @Gretchypoo he knows my feelings because I often end up getting snippy (bad Xstatic!), but the thing is that other than maybe the use of the Amazon gift card he's not actually doing anything wrong. At all. Why shouldn't he have a beer with dinner? There's zero reason. He knows I get bummed sometimes about the things I can't do and my loss of autonomy, and then responds by doing things like bringing me unsolicited ice cream and snuggling on the couch with me. He's a saint. This is my issue to work through, not anything he's really caused.

Glad your H is being more respectful of your feelings about going out now! Also, I'm amazed you can smoke in bars anywhere anymore! I thought that was just outlawed nationally at this point. 
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 I totally get that. I miss alcohol. And after getting diagnosed with GD I'm feeling resentful of everyone's eating. I saw an empty ice cream pint in the trash and a wave of jealousy almost made me sob. Christmas is gonna SUCK. 

RE: Smoking in bars, I live in Missouri. Here in the big city, you can't smoke indoors ANYWHERE. But in H's small home town? You can smoke everywhere. It is disgusting and the smell is freaking awful.  
  • Options
    Awww @Gretchypoo GD must make it so much harder. Hang in there, you are doing so awesome! 
  • Options
    @foxrosy, I had a very similar newborn experience. There was no napping when the baby napped because there was so much else to do! And she had a witching hour every night from dinner to when we would usually wind down and I would lose my mind!! She also barely slept. It totally sucked. And I did wake my H up during those tough nights and asked for help. Even just to pace with her while she cried. But I guess what I meant in my first post is that's unfair when it's not one of those nights. If you're BFing, your DH can help by changing a diaper, but they can't do a ton after that. I think making them stay up just because you're up isn't right. It's totally different if you need support though. My ex husband wouldn't have been the type to just sit up with me because I needed company. and that's probably why there was so much resentment there when she was a newborn. But I know my DH would absolutely sit up wit me if I needed it. I would just never make him to do just because I was up and wanted him to suffer too though!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I got insanely lucky and DD started sleeping though the night really early, like around 6 weeks. I was still breastfeeding during that time and hadn't switched to exclusive pumping yet so DH really never woke up during the night with us because there was absolutely no point and he had work. Occasionally on weekends I'd wake him up if I was feeling ragey and tired but that's about it. 
    This time around I plan to EP from the start, and I know luck like that can't strike twice, so it's going to be more difficult with pumping at night and feeding. That being said, on weekends he will most definitely be waking up to help. I still won't put him through that sleep deprivation during the week when he was to work all day, or at least I will try my best not to. 
  • Options
    DH and I have talked about it somewhat, but he wants to be up with me in the MOTN. He gets the same amount of time off that I do, plus he's a night owl so he said he can help with changing diapers and feeding when I switch to the pump. Once we go back to work, he will probably be up because I cannot function without sleep and he can. We will see how it actually plays out when LO gets here though lol. 
  • Options
    @Starfish113 I competely agree. I would never have the guy stay up to call the shots or be spiteful.
  • Options
    I got insanely lucky and DD started sleeping though the night really early, like around 6 weeks. I was still breastfeeding during that time and hadn't switched to exclusive pumping yet so DH really never woke up during the night with us because there was absolutely no point and he had work. Occasionally on weekends I'd wake him up if I was feeling ragey and tired but that's about it. 
    This time around I plan to EP from the start, and I know luck like that can't strike twice, so it's going to be more difficult with pumping at night and feeding. That being said, on weekends he will most definitely be waking up to help. I still won't put him through that sleep deprivation during the week when he was to work all day, or at least I will try my best not to. 
    I have EB with both our kids. I also plan on doing it from the start again. I prefer to find a "groove". Familiarity and routine are comforting to me. Once your milk comes in, I would assume you will pump it all out and start stocking your milk stash. What I did, was wake up with baby, change the diaper and feed the milk from the last pumping, then after baby ate, I'd lie them back down and immediately pump. That way you have milk ready for babies next feeding. With my first, I pumped when baby woke up, but that takes time and he would just cry and cry until I got enough pumped. It didn't make sense, but I blame it on being young and inexperienced.

With waking up SO for MOTN stuff... my husband works 12 hour overnight shifts, I've learned it'd best to let him sleep his usual schedule, then when he's awake, he can take on more and be wayyyy more helpful. I can shower, and nap once he's in a good mood and rested. If we are both not sleeping well, we will both be grumpy and on edge. I think it just takes some time to find a good balance, hopefully that guy ad his wife will find a good swing @Janefelicity
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Coming in late to this MOTN conversation, I know, but I wanted to share something interesting that the nurse in our newborn care class said the other night.  She said that with MOTN feedings, the non-BFing partner should wake up to put the baby back to bed after feeding.  She called this a best practice for ensuring a safe sleeping situation for the baby, since BFing makes mom and baby sleepy.  I am hoping to EBF for the first 4-6 weeks, including overnight feedings, and I was planning on just sucking it up and realizing that I will essentially only nap intermittently for the first couple of months.  It doesn't seem fair to ask my husband to get up multiple times during the night just to put little dude back to bed.  On the other hand, though, I'm anxious about the possibility of falling asleep while BFing and potentially putting my baby in danger.  Does anyone think the nurse has a point, or is she being alarmist?  This is one of those FTM moments when I have no idea what to believe.