June 2017 Moms
Options

Election 2016 Thread

124»

Re: Election 2016 Thread

• Options
    Perhaps this is unpopular but I don't think all opinions are deserving of respect, particularly when the policies enacted as result restrict the rights and freedom of others. I respect working together, compromise, and drawing from logic. I can't respect misogyny, racism, sexism, xenophobia. I will not politely accept that our new leader is the preferred candidate of the KKK. I do not see this as a political issue, it is a human issue. 
    While I do agree with some of what you said, I think that the argument that many have about the KKK supporting him is a slippery slope. He didn't ask for their backing. Is the KKK supporting him anymore dangerous than the black panthers and other groups supporting Obama? Of course a white supremacy group is going to support the white candidate. 

For the record I think both candidates are shit bags. :-) 
  • Options
    neludelu said:
    Perhaps this is unpopular but I don't think all opinions are deserving of respect, particularly when the policies enacted as result restrict the rights and freedom of others. I respect working together, compromise, and drawing from logic. I can't respect misogyny, racism, sexism, xenophobia. I will not politely accept that our new leader is the preferred candidate of the KKK. I do not see this as a political issue, it is a human issue. 
    While I do agree with some of what you said, I think that the argument that many have about the KKK supporting him is a slippery slope. He didn't ask for their backing. Is the KKK supporting him anymore dangerous than the black panthers and other groups supporting Obama? Of course a white supremacy group is going to support the white candidate. 

He never asked for their support, he never denounced their support, and he is hateful just like them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In louisiana here and over 50k people voted for David Duke - former Grand wizard of the KKK- for US Senator. 

The KKK had supported Trump from the beginning when there were for more white male Republicans that were up.for the nomination. Republicans that were better human beings than Trump but whose policy mirrored Trump. 

The KKK did not support Trump because he is a white male...they supported him bc he's a hateful male. 

• Options
    neludelu said:

Strangely enough, David Duke has also supported black candidates (some even democrats... GASP).  I can't base my vote on someone else's vote.  The KKK is disgusting and psychotic.  So are other groups out there.  These groups have been endorsing political candidates for decades.  

Oh and to my fellow Massholes... really... yes on 4????  I mean, I guess some will really need it now, but still.

• Options
    @QueenNub I was saying I wasn't racist in response to the general thought of only racist can vote for Donald Trump. Not in response to you calling me or anyone racist. 
  • Options
    QueenNub said:
    neludelu said:

He never asked for their support, he never denounced their support, and he is hateful just like them. 
    Actually he did denounce the support. 
  • Options
    @Elyse1384 I voted yes on 4, even though I never will and never have smoked marijuana. I just think it's silly people get put in jail for it and waste so many tax dollars persecuting marijuana users. Better just to regulate it and bring in some tax dollars instead. Just my thought. 

I am am happy about the results on question 2 and 3 as well. 
    Me: 28  DH: 30
    Married 5/8/2011
    TTC #1 since 9/2015
    BFP #1 1/14/16, MC 3/23/16
    BFP #2 9/21/2016, EDD 5/30/2017
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    QueenNub said:
    neludelu said:

Actually he did denounce the support. 
    You're right. after hesitation and pressure. I stand corrected.
  • Options
    I knew this thread was going to turn into a shit show... was hoping the board could stick to pregnancy
    You must be new here. This is hardly a shit show. 

My heart was just broken this morning. I was naively certain there wasn't enough hatred out there to elect such a candidate. 
    To me, this is a very relevant discussion. We are mothers bringing the next generation into this world. One of the biggest parts of my heartbreak is knowing I'm bringing this innocent soul into this world and I have to figure out how I can help make this a better place.
  • Options
    Elyse1384 said:
    neludelu said:

Strangely enough, David Duke has also supported black candidates (some even democrats... GASP).  I can't base my vote on someone else's vote.  The KKK is disgusting and psychotic.  So are other groups out there.  These groups have been endorsing political candidates for decades.  

Oh and to my fellow Massholes... really... yes on 4????  I mean, I guess some will really need it now, but still.

Not a Masshole, but man, I had you pegged differently.  Especially for someone who wrote in Harambe. I kid. Legalize all the marijuana. (FTR, I've never smoked, I just believe in its benefits for veterans, etc.)
  • Options
    I'm glad MA passed it. Surely CT will soon follow.

@neludelu  It was already addressed by others but i think it's disingenuous to say he didn't ask for it. The tone of his rhetoric incited white nationalists and, more generally speaking, white anger and fear. It was an effective campaign tool, clearly.
  • Options
    This morning when my alarm went of DH immediately reached for the remote.  I said, don't bother he won.  He sighed.  Then I added, But hey pots legal!  I voted yes on 4.  I don't smoke.  Here is to hoping with proper regulation it could help to ease the opiate problem, even just a little.  
  • Options
    Elyse1384Elyse1384 member
    edited November 2016
    @Mashunya425 @Assiram42 Oh me thinks you had me correctly pegged differently.  I WAS a pot smoker albeit very briefly in college.  That experience has fueled my desire for "no on 4".   #1 There is no real way to control the high.  I can stop myself at a drink or two and be perfectly fine.  Once I'm high... I'm high. It is next to impossible to pass regulation (eg blood alcohol level restrictions for driving).  I'm worried about accidents both to the person smoking and anyone around him/her.  We have a big college population in MA and I can see that getting out of control.    #2 I'm a mom of two wee ones.  I finally understand why my mother was so freaked out by pot (as a former hippie and pot smoker herself).  Plus, I was a paranoid smoker.  Guys I shit you not... I was running down Comm Ave one night in a panic thinking the Pru (giant Boston building) was running away from me.  OK so that is kind of funny, but truly alarming at the same time.  All I can do is try to raise my kids in a manner that they don't feel the need to try pot, but ultimately it will be their decision to make.  #3 It really does a number on your brain and body.  I'm an athlete and always did well academically, but I didn't believe the info and stats until I was doing it and I noticed significant differences.  

I did vote for pot to be accessible for medical purposes two years ago, but I don't like making it so accessible for recreational purposes.  Just my two cents, but a couple of pennies shared by almost half in the state.  It was pretty damn close, but as my father would say "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades".  

Edit:  spelling and to add @Assiram42 I stand by my Harambe vote!

• Options
    I'm glad MA passed it. Surely CT will soon follow.

@neludelu  It was already addressed by others but i think it's disingenuous to say he didn't ask for it. The tone of his rhetoric incited white nationalists and, more generally speaking, white anger and fear. It was an effective campaign tool, clearly.
    I can agree and see the point. I think where my frustration comes from is that so many say if you voted for trump you are hateful. That's not true in all cases. The idea that one cannot have political opinions that are not strictly tied to race/sex is frustrating and in my opinion what is holding the country back. Of course there are extremist in every group and those people make the rest look bad but for the most part we are all a whole lot more similar than we are different and we are for the majority great people.  For Christ sake as a nation we cry when we hear ASPCA commercials and when hear that song. The scare tactics and fear pushing is what is destroying this country and it's coming from both sides and the media. 
  • Options
    I live in Colorado -  for those of you that legalized it, you will all welcome the tax revenue! 

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    @Elyse1384 while I respect the concern for people driving under the influence, it is difficult for me to buy the fact that would increase because weed was legalized. In my experience, the people who smoked weed before, still smoke weed, and likely make the same choices when smoking weed. 

Also, if you were hallucinating on marijuana to the point you saw a fictitious dog was running away from you -- you are hardly the average experienced pot smoker. 

• Options
    Policy speaking....what should we as a unified country hold Trump to?  for 2 years, the Senate is majority Republican.
  • Options
    lmc929lmc929 member
    edited November 2016
    @QueenNub I will be heart broken if he dismantles the EPA -- I understand that the administration needs reworked and isn't perfect but putting a climate denier in charge of the EPA is horrifying. I work in the sustainable design/construction industry and it just blows my mind that people reject science. 

ETA: Lets not forget the Paris Climate Talks and our commitments. 

• Options
    lmc929 said:
    @Elyse1384 while I respect the concern for people driving under the influence, it is difficult for me to buy the fact that would increase because weed was legalized. In my experience, the people who smoked weed before, still smoke weed, and likely make the same choices when smoking weed. 

Also, if you were hallucinating on marijuana to the point you saw a fictitious dog was running away from you -- you are hardly the average experienced pot smoker. 
    Believe what you want and I'll believe what I want. I from experience see no benefit to legalizing pot, just issues.  People I know who smoke have their ways of getting it regardless, but I think that making it legal and easy to access is a guaranteed way to increase adoption of a product from those ordinarily dissuaded by the access difficulty or illegal nature of it.  

Also I said I was a paranoid smoker which is far from uncommon.  I thought in my state of paranoia that something was happening that wasn't.  My friend who introduced me to pot was a paranoid smoker and had been smoking for years.  Everyone's body/mind responds differently to a high. 

Seriously though, would you want your child smoking pot someday?  My kids will ultimately decide on their own, but I much prefer they not smoke and I don't want to make things easier to access if I think something does more harm than good.
  • Options
    @Elyse1384 as a recreational pot smoker (obviously not while I am pregnant) - I actually wouldn't mind my kid smoking pot responsibly someday when they are of age, just like drinking. I assume my kids will experiment just as I did and having it legal in the state of Colorado helps create an open and honest dialog about using marijuana. If anything, I hope my kid is more informed and safe by growing up here. 

• Options
    michaela0704michaela0704 member
    edited November 2016

After catching up on this thread that started out with literally no candidate specifics...

Edit: gif fail
  • Options
    lmc929 said:
    @QueenNub I will be heart broken if he dismantles the EPA -- I understand that the administration needs reworked and isn't perfect but putting a climate denier in charge of the EPA is horrifying. I work in the sustainable design/construction industry and it just blows my mind that people reject science. 

ETA: Lets not forget the Paris Climate Talks and our commitments. 
    Have you seen the talk of him possibly having the Eboll (sp) as a member of his cabinet. this guy totes around the title of being the biggest critic of global warming and has said the Joining the Paris committee was unconstitutional and illegal. 

• Options
    I suggest his cabinet theme song be "Womanizer" by Britney Spears. 

@BelhurstBride I live in Florida and the thought of being under water sounds pleasant compared to the current alternative. 

• Options
    lmc929 said:
    @Elyse1384 as a recreational pot smoker (obviously not while I am pregnant) - I actually wouldn't mind my kid smoking pot responsibly someday when they are of age, just like drinking. I assume my kids will experiment just as I did and having it legal in the state of Colorado helps create an open and honest dialog about using marijuana. If anything, I hope my kid is more informed and safe by growing up here. 
    I agree with you 100%. I am also a recreational smoker when not KU, and I am OK with the thought of my kids doing it when they are old enough, the same as drinking. I don't think it is a gateway drug for most and I also think it is much less potent than alcohol. I've never seen someone pass out and throw up all over themself from being too high - it's sad how many times I recall seeing some version of that from alcohol in my youth. And the thing about once you smoke, you are immediately high - yes, that is true. But it goes down significantly in a few hours and for a lot of people, they are back to normal in about 3 hours or less. With alcohol, the more you drink, the worse off you are, and for a longer period of time. And I've seen alcohol completely ruin lives while all I have seen happen with someone who smokes weed all the time is they become lazy and unmotivated (not a good thing, of course, but much less problematic than the destruction alcoholics create). I could say a lot more on the issue but my main take on the whole thing is that it makes ZERO sense to have alcohol be legal and not weed. ZERO.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    @JAGinMI I have first hand experience with getting too high and getting physically sick.  But that's what happens when you give someone with a love of sweets a pot chocolate chip cookie (out of a giant bag of pot chocolate chip cookies) but there are no other snacks.  I absent-mindedly snacked away on cookies completely forgetting they were pot cookies.  It was one of the worst experiences of my life.

That being said, that doesn't happen when you are smoking pot.  I would be concerned about it with the increase in the availability of edibles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @awillis13 Interesting! I have never had it in an edible form, which is definitely on the rise as it becomes legal in more places. I guess overeating edibles would be in the same category as over drinking alcohol then.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    @awillis13, possibly you got sick from overeating cookies? That could have happened whether they were laced or not.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @awillis13 and @JAGinMI sorry for the delayed response -- on the edibles, here in CO they label them for serving size. The smart rule of thumb in my mind being - eat half the serving size then go for the rest if you feel alright. 

My issue with edibles here - is how many of them look like candy which is dangerous to kids who dont know the difference. All lessons learned though so hopefully as more states continue to legalize it we just get safer and more knowledgeable. 

• Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited November 2016
    lmc929 said:
    @awillis13 and @JAGinMI sorry for the delayed response -- on the edibles, here in CO they label them for serving size. The smart rule of thumb in my mind being - eat half the serving size then go for the rest if you feel alright. 

My issue with edibles here - is how many of them look like candy which is dangerous to kids who dont know the difference. All lessons learned though so hopefully as more states continue to legalize it we just get safer and more knowledgeable. 

Yes, this is so dangerous! And some of them are deliberately made to look and sound like existing candy or drink brands. My state (Alaska) just legalized it a few years ago, and one of the laws made is that all edible products created must be approved by the state marijuana board before they can be manufactured. Additionally, edibles can't closely resemble an existing item or brand and adulterated products (an existing item injected or coated with marijuana) are not allowed. Anything that is would not be approved. I think all states should have similar laws around edibles. 
  • Options
    @awillis13, possibly you got sick from overeating cookies? That could have happened whether they were laced or not.
    Definitely not.  I was very obviously high (more so than I had ever been) and as soon as I got sick I felt so much better.  It was a high I never want to experience again.  If I didn't know the person who made them, I would have questioned whether they were laced with something else.  I have eaten that many regular cookies in 1 sitting many times (like I said I like cookies) and never gotten sick.  But even if I only had 2-3 (I honestly forget how many I ate now), it was 4-6x what I was told I should have (1/2 a cookie).  It all hit me so much later, because the edibles have more of a delayed reaction than smoking since your body has to digest them.  Never again.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think pot should be legal everywhere. I'd rather my kid accidentally eat a pot edible than a dishwasher or laundry pod, which all should be out of their reach anyway. 

But hey, I also think prostitution should be legal as well. It's a woman's body and government shouldn't have a say about it, unless it's sex, than its ok.