June 2017 Moms
Options

Election 2016 Thread

Re: Election 2016 Thread

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    In Chicago we have a BLM situation and the crowd going against them is yelling racial obscenities and "Trump" at the same time. That scares me. 
  • Options
    swanbroonerswanbrooner member
    edited November 2016
    @Wino0920 once again, these are purely the voter demographics.

I'm not suggesting that all are uninformed, but I am saying that he did purposively target a certain demographic with his techniques. 
  • Options

I'm not suggesting that all are uninformed, but I am saying that he did purposively target a certain demographic with his techniques. 
    I'm not talking about the uneducated comments. I am talking about names like stupid, racist, blindness. Name calling. 

I can get into Hillary demographic as well but still not call them names just because they are from a certain demographic.

• Options
    @Wino0920 His rhetoric did target uneducated voters by playing into their fears. Looking at voter demographics, this was his core group of supporters. This was fact based, not name calling. 
    All his speeches were geared to those on a 4th grade level. other Republican nominees  spoke at an 8th grade level and above. 
  • Options
    Perhaps this is unpopular but I don't think all opinions are deserving of respect, particularly when the policies enacted as result restrict the rights and freedom of others. I respect working together, compromise, and drawing from logic. I can't respect misogyny, racism, sexism, xenophobia. I will not politely accept that our new leader is the preferred candidate of the KKK. I do not see this as a political issue, it is a human issue. 
    Thank you. 
  • Options
    I have never heard him say all Mexicans are rapists, or that he hates Mexicans. I heard him say that all the illegal Mexicans that are criminals need to leave. Which I agree with. I also agree that if you want to live here, be my guest,  but do it the right way. My father was a boater. I'm sick of hearing people say it's hard!! Life is hard, everything is hard. Doesn't mean it shouldn't and can't be done. 

Illegal criminals need to leave does not equal racism like the media and Trump haters want me to believe. 

If I say American citizens that commit crimes need to be locked up make me unpatriotic?! 

Lets talk about being blind. Blue states turned red. I live in a blue area and I can't believe how red it turned. That to me says that people have seen something and were ready to admit it and change it. Maybe it's time to maybe to check yourself. 

You say Trump uses fear, but Hillary supporters are using name calling and stereotyping. 

• Options
    QueenNub said:
    @Wino0920 His rhetoric did target uneducated voters by playing into their fears. Looking at voter demographics, this was his core group of supporters. This was fact based, not name calling. 
    All his speeches were geared to those on a 4th grade level. other Republican nominees  spoke at an 8th grade level and above. 
    And it worked. Maybe people should learn to speak to everyone and not just people that are privileged enough for higher education. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:

I'm not talking about the uneducated comments. I am talking about names like stupid, racist, blindness. Name calling. 

I can get into Hillary demographic as well but still not call them names just because they are from a certain demographic.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone when I said some people were blinded by party lines. I'm speaking from experience. I have many loved ones who would never tolerate a male family member speaking about women the way Trump has, but when he said those things they laughed and brushed it off, because they identify as republicans. I don't know how else to explain that. Some people voted blindly. Some people voted with their eyes wide open in excitement. And some were simply voting against Hillary and not necessarily for Trump. It's just a fact. It's not an insult. 
  • Options
    swanbroonerswanbrooner member
    edited November 2016
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-7ISmwAi0

This is pretty problematic. He says that Mexico is "sending us" drug dealers and rapists. He concedes that there might be some good people, but we just can't be sure.

The immigrants I know left to get away from drug violence and provide a better quality of life for their families. Implying that immigrants are probably criminals who can't be trusted is wreckless at best and racist at worst.

We could debate this until the next election, but it won't change anything, let alone people's opinions. I know several people who voted for him, but they will at least concede that he has a track record of making minority groups somehow less than or less important. I don't know how this can be denied.

• Options
    It's almost lunchtime, and I've literally done no work today. Just been reading about the election and for some reason stalking Facebook. Seeing everyone's crazy(/racism/sexism/pure ignorance) out on display! It's a car wreck - don't want to look but just can't help it...
  • Options
    I knew this thread was going to turn into a shit show... was hoping the board could stick to pregnancy
    Me: 28  DH: 30
    Married 5/8/2011
    TTC #1 since 9/2015
    BFP #1 1/14/16, MC 3/23/16
    BFP #2 9/21/2016, EDD 5/30/2017
  • Options
    berg said:
    Wino0920 said:
    And it worked. Maybe people should learn to speak to everyone and not just people that are privileged enough for higher education. 
    I have no qualms about whether someone is educated or not.  College is expensive and if you ask recent grads, in a lot of cases it's worthless.  However when you go to college there is no class on common decency and demeanor.  That's not a pre-req to your degree.  It also doesn't take a high school diploma to understand that calling an entire race criminals and rapists is disgusting and racist.  Also learning not to discuss women as if they are objects only there for your own sexual desires wasn't in my curriculum.  But maybe that's because I'm a woman... maybe it was in one of the guy classes...
    I didn't think that by 'speaking to everyone' you have to lack class and say extremely inappropriate things.  If that's the case I have a BIL who is by your account perfect for the job.  Hell he'd sweep that rust belt right up! 
    so now your saying he spoke without class? Is that what speaking to lower education means? Your original comment was about how he spoke to people with educations of the fourth grade. I'm trying to figure out what one has to do with another. What does speaking to people with lower education mean? I'd really hate to be an underprivileged person of any race and sex around you. 

Again, with he called a whole race, rapist. Pretty sure he didn't say that. Even in the video posted earlier. 
  • Options
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    berg said:
    Wino0920 said:
    I have no qualms about whether someone is educated or not.  College is expensive and if you ask recent grads, in a lot of cases it's worthless.  However when you go to college there is no class on common decency and demeanor.  That's not a pre-req to your degree.  It also doesn't take a high school diploma to understand that calling an entire race criminals and rapists is disgusting and racist.  Also learning not to discuss women as if they are objects only there for your own sexual desires wasn't in my curriculum.  But maybe that's because I'm a woman... maybe it was in one of the guy classes...
    I didn't think that by 'speaking to everyone' you have to lack class and say extremely inappropriate things.  If that's the case I have a BIL who is by your account perfect for the job.  Hell he'd sweep that rust belt right up! 
    so now your saying he spoke without class? Is that what speaking to lower education means? Your original comment was about how he spoke to people with educations of the fourth grade. I'm trying to figure out what one has to do with another. What does speaking to people with lower education mean? I'd really hate to be an underprivileged person of any race and sex around you. 

Again, with he called a whole race, rapist. Pretty sure he didn't say that. Even in the video posted earlier. 
    Yes, he did speak without class. He spoke with disregard for so many cultures. He spoke with rhetoric. He spoke with an intent to insight fear. And for whatever crazy reason, this appealed to certain statistically identifiable groups of people across the country. 
  • Options
    @LMMama my point is speaking to lower educated people is not the same as speaking without class. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    @LMMama my point is speaking to lower educated people is not the same as speaking without class. 
    I agree with that. I don't think that's what anyone is trying to say. 
  • Options
    @QueenNub I thought I was responding to you earlier but I was actually responding to @berg sorry that was my bad. 

"They" as an illegal immigrants.

I can't defend everything he has said. No one can defend everything that Hillary has said or done. I feel people had to choose their voting strategies and go with it. 

But please don't confuse class and education. 
  • Options
    bergberg member
    edited November 2016
    Wino0920 said:

To the bolded point, I never said that.  Someone else did.  So you know, read tags.  I am saying, without a doubt that he spoke without class.  I actually don't believe there is a 'way' to speak to people with, as you have called it, 'lower education' (I'm not sure what lower education means, tbh).  The point I was trying to make is that you don't have to have a higher education to realize that some of his rhetoric was inappropriate and well, flat out racist (and yes he did say it, it was huge talking point for weeks).  You don't have to have a degree or a high school diploma to understand that every person who walks this earth matters, no matter their race, religion, beliefs, or opinions.  If speaking to 'everyone' as you've stated, means speaking like Trump, well then I guess I over-estimated our country's public education system.  It's funny that you say you'd hate to be around me as a minority or underprivileged person.  I wouldn't hate to be around you regardless of you voting for a man who has numerous sexual assault accusations, hired illegal immigrants to build his hotels but now wants them all deported, said he doesn't handle his money he let's 'the Jews' do that, and as a married man said that women let him do anything because he's a star.  You voted the way you felt was right for you and I can respect that.  That's why I live in America.  I just don't agree in the idea that everyone should speak like him in order to reach 'everyday' Americans.  I think it's selling our country short.  You don't need a degree to speak with respect, simple as that. 

• Options
    @berg I'm sorry , you are right, I was speaking to Queennub and accidentally quoted you. My bad! 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    @berg I'm sorry , you are right, I was speaking to Queennub and accidentally quoted you. My bad! 
    When did I confuse class with education? when I made the statement regarding Trump's gradr level of speech. I made a general statement that I found interesting.  how am I confusing education with class? even though, Trump is about as classless as they come. 
  • Options
    QueenNub said:
    Illegal immigrants are not raping our women no more than citizens ...that statement was said to invoke hate and divisiveness... nothing else.

When did I confuse class and education? 

The level of hate that Trump displays is equivalent to white supremacist. plus the statements were plentiful. 

Wino0920 said:
    @QueenNub I thought I was responding to you earlier but I was actually responding to @berg sorry that was my bad. 

I can't defend everything he has said. No one can defend everything that Hillary has said or done. I feel people had to choose their voting strategies and go with it. 

That's your opinion of what he was trying to do with his comments. I see it differently, not because I'm a racist. Legal citizens do rape and murder and go to jail. I don't want to pay for illegal criminals. 

Im still trying to understand what you meant when you said he speaks to people with 4rth grade level of education. 

Hillary voted for the wall until it made Donald look bad. Every president before Trump has been deporting illegals, trying with criminals first, yet now it's racist. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    QueenNub said:
    Illegal immigrants are not raping our women no more than citizens ...that statement was said to invoke hate and divisiveness... nothing else.

When did I confuse class and education? 

The level of hate that Trump displays is equivalent to white supremacist. plus the statements were plentiful. 

Wino0920 said:

That's your opinion of what he was trying to do with his comments. I see it differently, not because I'm a racist. Legal citizens do rape and murder and go to jail. I don't want to pay for illegal criminals. 

Im still trying to understand what you meant when you said he speaks to people with 4rth grade level of education. 

Hillary voted for the wall until it made Donald look bad. Every president before Trump has been deporting illegals, trying with criminals first, yet now it's racist. 
    I didn't mean anything by it besides relaying an interesting finding I came across. I've told you this before. you commented that 'it worked' and I commented no further. it obviously worked. anything else on this subject?

You can be hard on illegal immigrants without invoking hate and racism, right? he wasn't concerned with cost of exportation as he was with keeping our women safe. 

I never called you a racist.