September 2015 Moms

Peanut Allergy Symptoms?

Question for those of you who have kiddos with peanut allergies: What were the symptoms in your child?

Our LO has been eating small amounts of peanut butter for at least 4 months, maybe 2-3 times a week. Today we gave him some peanut butter on his crackers as we usually do; he ended up smearing it all over his head, and then I noticed he had red spots under his mouth, on his head, and near his eyes where he had rubbed peanut butter on his skin.

I called the pediatrian's nurse line who recommended a small amount of Children's Benedryl, and we gave LO a bath to get any peanut butter off of him. The rash was gone within 5 minutes of giving him a bath, before we gave him any Benedryl.

Does this sound like it could be a peanut allergy, or is it possible to just have a contact rash on the skin from where the peanuts touched him? No one in our family has a peanut allergy, although my husband does have eczema.

My pediatrician is calling me on Monday to talk about next steps, but just curious for those of you who have experienced this, what your LO's symptoms were, what the action plan is going forward, etc.

Thank you!

Re: Peanut Allergy Symptoms?

• momofsweetpsmomofsweetps member
    edited November 2016
    My 7 year old has a peanut allergy. When he was a baby, it was just a rash around his mouth. Each time his exposure reaction has gotten worse where the last two times he has eaten peanuts/peanut butter in something, he had to go to have the Epi-pen and rushed to the er. His reaction the last time had him vomiting for hours and it was just half a cookie. He also had a runny nose and his tongue, lips and throats swelled. It was super scary.

I would definitely get him checked to see if it is a true allergy. I hope it was just the skin irritated.
  • My 7 year old has a peanut allergy. When he was a baby, it was just a rash around his mouth. Each time his exposure reaction has gotten worse where the last two times he has eaten peanuts/peanut butter in something, he had to go to have the Epi-pen and rushed to the er. His reaction the last time had him vomiting for hours and it was just half a cookie. He also had a runny nose and his tongue, lips and throats swelled. It was super scary.

I would definitely get him checked to see if it is a true allergy. I hope it was just the skin irritated.
    Thank you! When did you have your LO tested for the peanut allergy - after the first reaction or later on? I'm tempted to have a test done now just so we know for sure, although I know it can always change over time, either getting worse or even some people outgrow it.

Sorry yours has to go through that! I feel so bad for kiddos who suffer from allergies, especially to something yummy like peanut butter or peanuts that are in so many things.
  • Loading the player...
  • It was around age 2 when he ate a Reese's pieces and complained they were hot and made his mouth itchy. When he was a baby, we just avoidedafter the rash, because they wouldn't test him until he was 2. He also suffers from eczema and asthma. I would at least try the blood test and then push for a rast test. He carries and epi-pen junior and inhalers everywhere he goes. Now they test earlier so you're in luck.