January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 10/24

13»

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 10/24

• @hayhay87 +1 for the Obersee backpacks. Not a STM but I've really enjoyed using my Rio as an overnight bag and a carry on item in the few weeks I've had it. I definitely am a minimalist so it's big enough for my purposes, but if you tend to pack more I would opt for the Bern or Oslo. H is a big fan of it too, even though he hasn't had the chance to use it as much as I have. I've detached the cooler attachment for now but I'm excited to use it once/ if I start pumping.
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited October 2016
    I got a skip hop messenger bag because I heart stripes but we also have a Colombia backpack style from BRU that'll prove to be much more sensible I'm sure. I let H pick it out so he's 100% ok with carrying it too
  • Loading the player...
  • @underthesea & @LoneStar21416 I love my JuJuBe BFF! It is absolutely amazing and I love the way it's comfortable and easy to clean! @hayhay87 I really can't recommend it enough! It has comfortable straps and there are so many cute designs!
  • I used a skiphop tote for the first year or so. It was fine. (Am the only one who doesn't give 2 shits if my husband finds it manly enough? He never said a word. Also, he's never changed her in public due to the rare instance that she's needed a change in public, and the lack of changing tables in many male bathrooms). After a year I switched to my north face Isabella backpack which has been fantastic. 
  • Bottles: What brand did you use and love? I'm thinking Tommee Tippee...

Garbage can: Diaper Genie or Munchkin Armand Hammer? The latter looks better and has special scent blocking thing, the former is really popular though and must be for a reason?
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19

Garbage can: Diaper Genie or Munchkin Armand Hammer? The latter looks better and has special scent blocking thing, the former is really popular though and must be for a reason?
    I did like our Tommie Tippee; I liked the ones from Medela just for storing breastmilk though! we have diaper genie and I am happy with it but as it gets full it does get pretty stinky.  I think it keeps the stink in well for the most part but it does come out when you open it to put more diapers. this has definitely gotten worse as DD got older... diapers from an exclusively breast fed baby hardly smell at all IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

We used Dr. Brown bottles. They helped stop the reflux, which was amazing. We use the diaper genie. I agree that it does get stinky once it's too full that the lid doesn't close all the way, but overall, I like it. 
  • @sweetyjenj we bought tommee tippee, and had avent samples, and medela bottles. My baby was almost exclusively fed straight from the boob, besides probably less than 6 bottles. She preferred tommee tippee. My nephew will only take comotomo. Don't commit to a bottle brand until your baby is born. As for the diaper pail, we use the diaper genie and it's fine. 
  • @sweetyjenj

I registered and got one small set of tommee tippee bottles (two small and two big) and different flow nipples. We didn't use bottles much so that was all we needed. She didn't take a bottle until around 4 months and then very inconsistently. I know that many people have to try several different bottles before they find one baby likes. So I think it's a good idea to start with a few from a brand you are happy with and either buy more of them if baby approves or start testing others.

And I know you didn't mention this brand but we have the diaper dekor and have been happy with it. I think it's the cutest out of them all!
  • We bought tommy tippee and dr brown bottles. DS was breastfed probably 90% of the time but when he did get bottles he preferred the dr. Brown ones. 

I kept both sets we have and will see what this baby prefers. Agreed that every baby is different though. Some have a preference and others will take any kind of bottle. I think having 2-3 different kind to start off is a good idea! 

We eventually switched to cloth cloth diapers but even while in disposables we didn't use any type of diaper genie. Pee diapers just went in the trash and poop ones we put in the small arm n hammer bags they sell. Each bag held a few diapers so I liked it wasn't sitting around too long waiting to be filled. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

We used Dr browns and loved them. also, we had a diaper genie and used the scented garbage bags hack so we didn't have to buy refills and it held way more diapers!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @Ashleysparkle720 can you please elaborate on this scented garbage bag hack you're referencing? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

As others have said, don't commit to just one bottle brand since baby may be picky. DD ended up loving medela which worked because they fit my pump. Dr. Browns were fine too but damn if they don't have a lot of parts. Try a few and see what works for you and baby.

We used a diaper genie for years and I agree that as it gets fuller and LO gets older, it does stink. Especially when emptying. So much so that I tossed it last week and bought a Diaper Dekor for this LO. Glad to hear you approve it @underthesea!

Pregnancy Ticker

• We used and will use Tommy Tippee again.

In regard to the garbage can, honestly, we just got a nice tall, stainless can from Target with a foot pedal/lid. It kept the smell in and was easy peasy to change. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • We used Dr. Brown's and plan to again. We don't have a diaper genie, we just bought a trashcan and use scented trash bags. It's worked great for us.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kelseyh62 said:
    @Ashleysparkle720 can you please elaborate on this scented garbage bag hack you're referencing? 
    https://exploringdomesticity.blogspot.com/2013/05/update-weve-been-using-these-bags-for.html?m=1

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @sweetyjenj I second @AlabamaRedhead regarding the garbage can! We started with the Munchin Arm & hammer but switched to a stainless foot pedal one. It's way easier and I don't think the diaper pail was better at hiding smells. I can only smell anything if it's full and open. I put a sticky baking soda deoderizer under the lid. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We mainly used Tommy tippee and never had an issue with them. We have a few other brands to use incase they don't work this time around. 
  • We used Dr. Browns bottles as other brands gave him gas.  There are a ton of parts to wash but they do work as advertised.

As for diaper pails, we just bought a little stainless steel foot-pedal trash can.  It was small enough that it got full quickly, before any diapers were sitting in it for too long.  I would also be careful with scented trash bags - some of them are migraine inducing and when combined with the smell of old pee are horrible.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Any one have opinions on strollers?  

Debating whether it is better to get a car seat caddy and then just switch to something more like an umbrella stroller or should I go for the full size stroller than takes our car seat and converts to a stroller.  The car seat caddy and umbrella stroller we like are both under 15 lbs, the full size is about 25 lbs. 

We would do the maxi cosi taxi stroller and the baby jogger city tour OR either nuna mixx or uppababy cruz
  • aca12017 said:
    Any one have opinions on strollers?  

Debating whether it is better to get a car seat caddy and then just switch to something more like an umbrella stroller or should I go for the full size stroller than takes our car seat and converts to a stroller.  The car seat caddy and umbrella stroller we like are both under 15 lbs, the full size is about 25 lbs. 

We would do the maxi cosi taxi stroller and the baby jogger city tour OR either nuna mixx or uppababy cruz
    We got the Click Connect 30 travel system for DD. Full disclosure, it was gifted to us from our registry, so we did not have to pay for it and if cost is an issue, then the caddy and umbrella stroller may be the way to go.  however, cost aside, I have loved our travel system. I feel that it's well made and I like that we've been able to use it from the time DD was born up until now.  I don't think ours is cumbersome or difficult to use. I know some have complained that the travel systems are not great on uneven pavement or in the grass, and this is true, but if you're looking for a stroller that's better for those types of things, a jogger is probably your best bet - most of the umbrella strollers I've seen have not been super sturdy. The only reason we won't be using our travel system anymore is because I'm going to have to upgrade to a double stroller once new baby is born. My vote would be for the travel system, with the caveat that it depends on your family's needs. 
  • @aca12017 I got a chicco bravo trio with a key fit 30 zip and I love it. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Travel system was awesome when DD1 was born. I was able to get outside and walk with her so easily even when it was still winter. we continued to use the stroller on it's own until  she was about 17months then we switched to the umbrella stroller.

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • cjs260 said:
    Have any of our STM+ have kidney stones? I've had several very bad rounds of kidney stones and have always heard that kidney stones are the closest pain to experiencing labor. The Google seems to have very mixed ideas about the truth of this. 
    I just got diagnosed with a kidney stone. I think the pain is close to labor pains except this is only in my side and back. Also you don't get the joy of having a baby to hold after the pain , lol.
  • ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited October 2016
    @aca12017 my keyfit caddy was the only thing I used for 6 months. Then our umbrella stroller. We have a full sized stroller, which we never use. We did just bought a city select for 2 babies. 
  • We used out Chicco travel system until he outgrew the caddy/car seat. By then he was big enough to use the jogging stroller I had, which I love! It's very lightweight, maneuverable and good for walking or just going to Target. Has the storage areas, but way less bulky than the travel system stroller and he could lay down in it as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • stumptownmamastumptownmama member
    edited October 2016
    @ThePax89 I want the city select double too!!