January 2016 Moms

STTN

2»

Re: STTN

• Still up once (usually) between 3 and 5 here. We did CIO and I do think it helped him get more comfortable putting himself back to sleep. Even though we have the wake up still I feel it was worth it (he was up 2-5 times per night before and very hard to get back down sometimes). I have hope he will drop this feed and STTN when he is ready so I try not to let what other people say get to me (like when a friend on fb told me all about how her daughter who's younger than LO sleeps 12 hours :frowning:)
  • I was reading about night weaning on Kelly Mom yesterday. I don't really mind one wakeup or even two, but I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong that he is still waking to feed at 8.5 months. This article below helped me feel better about it: 

https://kellymom.com/ages/weaning/wean-how/weaning-night/

I'm just trusting he'll stop asking when he's ready. Also, we did CIO so that didn't "cure" wakeups for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Still one to two wakings for us!
  • nackienackie member
    edited October 2016
    Last night we were up every 2 hours. Ugh.  But he's sick and in the morning he had a new tooth (which I discovered when he bit me while nursing), so we cut him some slack.  Tonight he's only woken twice so far, once from a nightmare and once to nurse
  • @JanuarysBaby1 yes, we did CIO around 6 months and it helped with initially going to sleep and helped get rid of one of his nightly wakeups. He falls asleep independently and his first stretch of sleep is usually 9ish hours, so I feel like it's okay that he's still getting up once, although I'm definitely ready for him to sleep all night! It's nice to know we aren't alone!! Also I feel him when he wakes up although he probably doesn't need the calories, but he falls back asleep easily and sleeps 3 more hours, so it's worth it for now. I'll probably start trying to wean him off of that feed in the next month or so - not looking forward to that!
  • Still up 2x per night here...minimum 
  • jodiedrich18jodiedrich18 member
    edited October 2016
    No STTN here, 9 months today. LO was generally a one time awake to nurse a night, but the past week has been 2 or 3 times to eat each time. Growth spurt, sleep regression, something else? Who knows but this baby thing is confusing and tiring, and just when you think you've got it figured out, they change it up on you! I'm just along for the ride at this point...sending positive thoughts and a wish for energy to all you fellow ladies.
  • Still waking anywhere from 1-3x per night. I'm not sure if he needs the feeds on those 3x nights but it's the easiest way to get him back down, so I just go with it. I do know he definitely needs at least 1 feed per night still. we're usually at 1 or 2, 3x is a rarity these days. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've decided to try CIO this weekend. I didn't think that I can handle it before which is why I'm deciding to do it now but I really think the issue is that she does not know how to put herself back to sleep! (She's currently rocked to sleep). She only wakes once a night but she's up for 1-2 hours and I even give her a bottle but it still doesn't make her drowsy enough. I'm still not sure if I can deal with crying it out but I have to try something! 
  • @JanuarysBaby1 I never thought I could do it either but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! We checked on him every few minutes and picked him up if necessary. If I was having a hard time listening, I just went for a walk around the neighborhood and my husband stayed home. The most he ever cried was an hour (with several checks) and every night after that was much shorter. Hope it goes well! 
  • @JanuarysBaby1 any luck this weekend?
  • mestokes said:
    @JanuarysBaby1 any luck this weekend?
    We didn't try! Ugh.. this is my problem. I say am going to do it and never follow through. I'm hoping for it to fix itself I guess. I don't know anymore lol 
  • mestokes said:
    @JanuarysBaby1 any luck this weekend?
    We didn't try! Ugh.. this is my problem. I say am going to do it and never follow through. I'm hoping for it to fix itself I guess. I don't know anymore lol 
    Me too!! I was planning on doing it last night but nope it didn't happen. I know sleep training works for LO too, we did it a long time ago to get her to fall asleep on her own and get rid of her binky habit.. but now her sleep is getting really bad again. I think it's been a combination of our many travels and her being sick for almost a month on and off. But UGH she was up 4 times last night and I'm just so tired. I don't know why sleep training is so hard this time!! I just can't do it the minute I hear her sad. 
  • I totally understand! Mine still wakes up and I'm really hoping he will just drop that MOTN feeding on his own. Not sure I could do CIO again. Hoping we all get better sleep soon however we can get it! 
  • I'm glad I'm not alone. I really get down on myself sometimes because I feel like I did something wrong! But as mentioned, hopefully things let up, sort themselves out and we will all get some much needed sleep. 
  • Ladies, I really need some encouragement.  LO doesn't sleep hardly...and it is rough.  Lately, he's waking up at 3/4am wanting a play sesh. No matter what I do to get him to sleep, he protests.  I end up letting him play in his play room until he's tired...and usually doesn't go back to sleep until around 5/6am.  The problem is I'm a working mama and have to be up by the time he goes back to sleep.  I'm still exclusively breastfeeding him, and I've heard that breastfed babies often don't sleep well. I've tried letting him cry but it turns into a screaming fit that ends up waking him up even more and taking longer to get him back down.  I feel like I'm doing something wrong.  Honestly, I'm not even concerned with my sleep anymore, I just want to help him be able to sleep :/ it's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one with a non sleeping 9.5 month old.  Ugh...this sucks.
  • @tgrdance05 I'm right there with ya! The only suggestion that I have is what kinda sorta helped was pushing back my LO bedtime. It use to be 7/730 and now it's 8/830. She's up about 3.5-4 hours from last nap to bedtime. She still wakes in the in the middle of the night. But before she was up like your LO, 2 hours at a stretch. She now takes maybe 30-40 minutes to go back to sleep after a bottle. It's rough. I keep telling myself it won't last forever! 
  • Ya it's nice to know others are in a similar situation. So I think we made some progress last night.... she was up 3 times before midnight but I was able to rock her back to sleep very easily and without needing to nurse. Then she got up at 3:30 and I nursed her, then she slept all the way to 6:30! It sounds pretty bad but with only one feeding the whole night, I think that's amazing for LO. She hasn't done that in a while. Hopefully tonight will be the same or better. Ive decided not to let her cry, but I won't nurse her either, unless it's at least 3am or later. And I am going to try and stretch that a little each night too. So we are doing a gentle version of sleep training :)
  • @tgrdance05 I'm breastfeeding as well and mine usually wakes up once or twice to nurse at night and then is up for the day at 4:30 most mornings.  For a while I was killing mysterious trying to stay up with him, but now I get up and nurse home when he wakes in the mornings and then hand him off to DH to watch him for an hour until I have to be up at 6.  Since he's sleep uninterrupted, getting up around 5 isn't as miserably for him.
    I wish I had advice about getting them to sleep later.
  • Am I the only one left? :neutral:
  • We're hit and miss. we've had some really good night's  (8-10 hours straight) but still have the odd rough night of awake every 2-3. but those are getting more and more rare
  • @mestokes you aren't alone. Definitely not sleeping through the night here. Still multiple wake ups every night  :/
  • You're not alone.  Usually at least 2 wake-ups still.    Sleeps in 3.5-4.5 hour increments.  It's so hard. :(
  • Nope. My kiddo never sleeps. We're lucky if we get 4 hours in a 24 hour period. Some of it may be to the food sensitivities/allergies, but at this point, I really don't know. She's obviously tired, as we all are, but she is always uncomfortable and restless... I mean, who needs sleep anyway?
  • No STTN here either =(
  • nackienackie member
    edited December 2016
    We're down to just one wake up most nights.  it's such a huge improvement over 3.  I'm still not sure we'll ever get to STTN though :)

Edit:  typing is hard
  • @nackie we literally celebrated the other night because we ONLY had 3 wake ups... I think I can feel the gray hair coming in. lol
  • Mine is sttn now. We have come along way....sigh! 6 days of consistency..crossing my fingers. I follow precious little sleep 
  • @BarrettJ89 I hear you. Up until late Nov, we were still regularly having nights where he was up every 1.5-2 hours.  I'm still convinced we're going to regress back to that any day now.  
  • Ugh the last two nights were rough... up every 1.5-3 hours... why do I even bother getting excited when he starts trending towards better sleep... it's like he knows....
  • We were STTN the past few months but then she learned how to stand and cruise and also caught a nasty cold -this past week many, many night wakeups. Lord help me.
  • We are still at one wake-up per night.  For a couple of weeks he wouldn't wake until late morning, and then he started walking AKA waking up earlier in the night again.  blegh.  Every time.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• @mestokes no, not the only one! Allyson has gotten way worse in her sleep over the past 3 weeks. Prior to her first tooth/a cold and ear infection/end of 7th leap coming all together, she is up every 2-3.5 hours now. She was a usual 1 time wake up for months, now this. Plus,  she has become increasingly difficult to lay down to sleep. She loses it the moment she touches the crib, even though she was starting to drift off.