February 2017 Moms

The Politics Post

MommaBeanMommaBean member
edited September 2016 in February 2017 Moms
Politics, race relations, current events, etc. for those of us not desirous of a bubble... 

Re: The Politics Post

• I have one friend who's very right wing conservative, and his post was enough. Be glad you don't have to see them.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My Facebook feed is filled with commentary from people who share my leftist ideals. It's terrifying that I simply don't see the comments from the *millions* who disagree.
    I live in a CRAZY Trump neighborhood.  Like Grandparents on my street have "HILARY IS A LIAR" stickers on their cars.  I'm SUPER curious to know how they feel like that debate went, because to me Trump did TERRIBLY.  I know there are going to be people who think he did great and I want to know during what parts they thought he did great. 

I know some of the people here have to be supporting him.. tell me why you think he did a good job, or do you think he did terribly but just support the platform so vote party anyway? 
  • The entire city I live in is for Trump. I've never lived anywhere like this before. It can be very disconcerting. My husbands family is all for Trump. Politics are an extremely frustrating conversation to have with them. 
  • My Facebook feed is filled with commentary from people who share my leftist ideals. It's terrifying that I simply don't see the comments from the *millions* who disagree.
    ^ This! I have yet to come across a single person who is a Trump supporter. Neither FB or IRL. 
    Married 2/12/2015
    PCOS Dx June 2016
    BFP #1 8/4/2015, MMC 9/24/2015
     DD 2/13/2017 
    BFP #3 8/24/2017, MC 9/20/2017
    BFP #4 11/14/2017, CP
    BFP #5 1/5/2018, MC/BO 2/17/2018
    BFP #6 7/15/2018, CP
    BFP #7 12/15/2018, EDD 8/28/2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

^ This! I have yet to come across a single person who is a Trump supporter. Neither FB or IRL. 
    Come to western NC. Every other house has a "Trump for President" sign in their front yard or a bumper sticker plastered on the back of their pickup truck... :|
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited September 2016
    On my facebook feed it is mostly moderates (both rep and dems) to leftist. Most of my moderates are going Hilary or Third party that includes my moderate republican friends. And my leftist are going for Hillary or Green Party depending on if they are Bernie or Bust people. I have one "friend" who is Trump and die hard crazy Trump. He repeats all the lies even after I prove him wrong with actually cite my sources and resorts to name calling. I had to put him on restricted access because of how mean he was being to anyone who did not like Trump. This friend is in the military, a man, white, with only high school degree, so technically he fits Trumps demographic. 

Also on facebook I have my DH's extended family that is very conservative, but they have remained really quite this time on facebook. I know they hate Hillary but I do not know if they are voting for Trump. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I know a few people voting for Trump, but only because they hate Hillary so much. My passionate conservative friends aren't going to vote at all, but they all live in MA or RI where no GOP candidate has a chance. 

I watched last night with a group of people from all over the country, all of which claimed to hate both candidates. At the end, they all admitted she crushed him but still hate her/aren't planning to vote/are voting third party. It was enlightening. She's got a tough road. The ingrained hatred is just so strong despite what I see as a very high level of qualification. 
  • NPR had a great piece this morning, where they interviewed regular voters and they found an african american man who is voting for Trump. I thought it was super cool to get that perspective. But also strange how he does not view Trump as being racists. 

https://www.npr.org/2016/09/27/495595122/georgia-voter-reaction-race-and-policing

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I know too many Trump supporters and even more people who are refusing to vote. 
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited September 2016
    I know a few people voting for Trump, but only because they hate Hillary so much. My passionate conservative friends aren't going to vote at all, but they all live in MA or RI where no GOP candidate has a chance. 

I watched last night with a group of people from all over the country, all of which claimed to hate both candidates. At the end, they all admitted she crushed him but still hate her/aren't planning to vote/are voting third party. It was enlightening. She's got a tough road. The ingrained hatred is just so strong despite what I see as a very high level of qualification. 
    People really do hate her and when I try to ask why, it never really clicks with me, maybe because I know to much info, but when they talk about her emails I am like you mean what Sec Colin Powell did or how Bush erased even more emails and they do not have that same kind of hatred. I just do not get the disconnect.... 

To continue my thought, I understand people not liking her but the outright hatred just blows my mind. 

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I'm not left-ish, but I think the government has no part in most social issues. So, I don't fit as angry right-wing conservative. I'm just fiscally a tightwad. I don't mind taxing the wealthy more, but I do mind government spending money on things period. Are these villainous Trump supporters fiscally conservative? Hillary is not an option for that.

To me, Democratic politicians seem overly motivated to throw money at things that I consider out-of-scope. Ask me to donate to charity, don't tell me. Republican politicians seem overly motivated to throw regulation at things I consider out of-scope. I don't care what gender my neighbors are. Chill.  So... I can chose a party that over-regulates or overspends. I mean, they both overspend. Republicans budget 300% my preference, and democrats budget 500% my preference.

Caption: Wheeee!!!!

With a Hillary term, I think we'll have 4-8 years of the usual government spending machine.

With a Trump term, I think we'll have 4 years of a government that will fight amongst themselves and won't do much. A stall in government growth might count as a plus.

I'll waste my vote on Gary Johnson, knowing that no matter; we'll end up increasing our federal deficit for another decade while we watch politicians squabble about some social issue that the majority of citizens are basically indifferent about. Maybe by 2028 candidates will be forced to discuss social security and it'll become interesting.

There's a quiz that shows how you match up on issues @ Isidewith.com. It looks at things besides personality and guns if anyone cares.

Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's because she has a vagina where her penis is supposed to be.
    Completely agree. 

I wish those abstainers would vote 3rd party instead; say SOMETHING with your vote. 
  • there are like one zillion propositions on my ballot so even if i wasn't voting for a president i can't imagine not saying something on everything else.
  • Aw, I was hoping we would have some Trump supporters pipe up.  I think we could have a rational, respectful conversation.

My aunt is pro-Trump and we have had some respectful text messaging conversations.  Though I am starting to worry and think we should stop because I don't want it to affect our relationship.

Me: 1979 * Husband: 1976 * Little girl: 2010 * Little guy: 2013 * MMC: 2016 * Last baby: EDD 2/11/17!  
  • lfrank12 said:
    I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of Hillary. I consider myself to be an independent and was definitely behind Bernie during the primary. However, just because she's not my favorite person doesn't make her unqualified for the job. I hope more people can put their dislike for her aside and focus on experience, proposed policies and who could actually run this country. Personally, I think not voting at all is essentially voting for Trump. 
    100 percent this.
  • yogadevilyogadevil member
    edited September 2016
    My FB feed is greatly polarized. But I've noticed this election cycle that the far left wingers are much more vocal and fiesty, and the extreme conservatives are eerily silent. The conspiracy theories have also been flying much more from my leftist friends and theres far less tin foil hatting than I'm used to seeing publicly from my conservarive friends. I don't know what any of that means, but being more of a moderate I kind of sit back and observe a lot more than I actually participate. Especially since there isn't a candidate I fall in line with this time around.

ETA I have a fear that Trump supporters stay silent even though there has to be a ton of them around. Idk why. But I'm seeing a silent minority/majority thing going on and I honestly can't tell which direction this election will take because of it
  • I'm pretty anti-Hilary (and not for vagina reasons as said above) and this election is throwing me for a loop.  However, I'm really socially liberal and can't vote republican most times because of that. 
    I tend to believe 4 (or 8) years of Hilary will be status quo. Nothing will really get better but I don't see it getting worse. 
    Trump is such a hateful scary person, and what I feel like he would do to this country means I can NOT vote for him. Still I'm having a hard time saying I will vote Hilary. Ive never had a hard time like this.  

• @yogadevil I think there are people on both sides who are staying silent about who they will vote for. I have a few mainstream fiscal conservative-type friends who I think are strongly considering voting for Hillary but I doubt they'll go singing it from the rafters or anything. 

My dad teaches at a decently ranked business school with lots of fiscal conservative colleagues, and he has been saying from the start that the business community will get behind Hillary over Trump, even those who usually vote Republican. We had quite a few debates about the relative importance of this back when I was supporting Bernie in the primary. I know Trump's platform as stated initially seems more pro-big business but there's a lot of anxiety about the general chaos his election could create in world markets. This opinion is heresy from my dad of course, and I'd love to hear any other thoughts from those who travel in business or economic circles. I'm sure there's a wide spectrum of views within that community.
  • Just because this is a funny way to say it but a conversation I had with my seven-year-old last spring when I guess they talked at school about the political parties being donkeys and elephants. He had asked me if we were going to vote for the donkey or the elephant. This was before anybody actually had a nomination so I told him that while Daddy and I usually voted for the elephants that this year it was really going to depend on the elephant. I told him that I like to try to pick a candidate not just using their party lines and that there were certain elephants I really didn't want to vote for. As you can probably imagine the craziest elephant of them all is the one that got the nomination that we do not want to vote for.

I didn't watch the debate last night but I think I heard a recap this morning where they basically started off with saying these are two of the most disliked candidates in history and I think it's really sad that are two options to pick from are ones that so many people dislike on both sides. So picking the lesser of two evils does not seem like a promising start to the next four years but I can't bring myself to vote third party and possibly have that crazy elephant win.  We are not the only elephant family that I know who is pro donkey this year, LOL.

Now the little boy across the street told me his parents are voting for The Elephant but it was because he was going to build a wall to keep all the bad guys out. And looking at it that way, I think you have some of the reason why people are still behind Trump despite everything else because they want to think he's going to make things safer.
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • yogadevil said:
    My FB feed is greatly polarized. But I've noticed this election cycle that the far left wingers are much more vocal and fiesty, and the extreme conservatives are eerily silent. The conspiracy theories have also been flying much more from my leftist friends and theres far less tin foil hatting than I'm used to seeing publicly from my conservarive friends. I don't know what any of that means, but being more of a moderate I kind of sit back and observe a lot more than I actually participate. Especially since there isn't a candidate I fall in line with this time around.

ETA I have a fear that Trump supporters stay silent even though there has to be a ton of them around. Idk why. But I'm seeing a silent minority/majority thing going on and I honestly can't tell which direction this election will take because of it
    This. I have seen so many leftists speaking out and based on my personal fb newsfeed, I've seen more hostility and name-calling from those who tended to be more liberal than the conservatives. And I hope it isn't that way everywhere, but from what I've been seeing, the leftists on my social media obsess over/post incessantly about Trump more than his supporters. I'm not a fan of either and loosely consider myself a libertarian, but I don't post about politics on fb either. I'm not going to let a silly joke of an election interfere with my relationships. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think the FB reaction really varies by circumstance. I probably have more liberal friends, so I tend to see more liberal stuff. I don't mind seeing other well thought out opinions, but most of my Republican friends haven't posted much, presumably because they don't like Trump. Of the Trump fans I know, most have been blocked or unfriended at this point for posting anti-Muslim or anti-refugee stuff. I can't deal with that. The one left mostly posts anti-Hillary memes. 

I try to avoid posting much myself, but occasionally post an article that I think is either really well written or hilarious. 
  • I am a little afraid to even dip my toe into the water, because I generally do not get into political debates, and quite frankly the circus in general this year makes me sick. I have barely kept abreast of the coverage this year, and I don't watch the debates once I've decided, because why get my blood pressure up?

However, several of you mentioned wanting to hear from someone planning to vote for Trump, so I will join in. Just try not to throw large rocks at me.

First of all, I was genuinely hoping he would not win the primary. I knew if he won, it would be a bigger zoo than usual. I do think some of his major tenets are stupid  (A wall? Really?). My method of voting is to go with one or two primary concerns, and pick the candidate who I think is closest to my beliefs on the majority of them. 

For me, I care very much about stances on financial policy, abortion, and gun control. 

When it comes to the hot button social issues, I am pretty middle of the road usually - I feel that a safety net is important, but most of the candidates don't really campaign on those issues - they try to make big flashy promises that usually don't amount to anything. 

My main issue with Hillary is that I feel 4-8 years under her will not benefit this country's financial situation. I want a candidate who at least is going to try to stop the bleeding, and in recent years the democratic party seems to have too many "sacred" things they will not cut in the budget. We cannot ignore our financial issues and hope they go away. Secondarily, she does not support my personal beliefs on abortion or gun control (I know that I'm in the way minority here on these, but that's ok).

If I had to guess why so many are silent on Trump, I can only tell you that personally I'm not thrilled that he is my "conservative" option, I just feel he is the lesser of two evils. So, I'm not shouting his praises from the rooftop.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • edited September 2016
    I totally get what pps are saying. I competely understand and agree. But what I mean is that those on my social media seem to just be either blatantly uneducated or misinformed. As a result, their statuses aren't backed, mature, or even remotely insightful. I'm referring more to those on my friends list who post things like "f*ck trump." And then nothing else. Or calling him the next hitter without elaborating on why they think he's going to cause the next mass genocide. I get the hate for him, I truly do. But when people post on him without knowing why they hate him first or examining his campaign more closely (not just what is on their fb newsfeed) is when I kinda start to side eye them. I just don't like uneducated opinions, in every aspect of life. Not just politics. Lol

*please tell me if I sound like an idiot. My doctor gave me some migraine meds with muscle relaxants and codiene so I may just be talking jibberish at this point. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I grew up in Kansas. Not in one of the liberal pockets, either. So moving to Boston 3 years ago was, well....a change. Most of my friends from High School I still have on my FB feed are pinko lefties like me (and left the state to go to Minnesota...), so my feed is definitely skewed. I think I have 2 moms from DDs BMB who are Trump supporters and I unfollowed them. There's only so many Hillary memes I can stomach.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019