February 2017 Moms

Ask a STM

13»

Re: Ask a STM

• JannieJJannieJ member
    edited September 2016
    @AfKash After I got my epidural I felt amazing! I could still move, but I think that made it so the catheter didn't cause any discomfort going in. They didn't remove it until I had been pushing for a while. In those moments, I totally forgot to push my epidural button (if they give you a button to replenish your epidural push it!!! My husband is in charge of it this time if I somehow forget again) so it wore off and I was in a lot of pain with the contractions coming back to back, but I remember at one point I felt I could feel the catheter and I remember thinking, "why don't they take that dumb thing out!? Don't they know I need all the room I can possibly get down there!!" Lol they took it out shortly after and honestly it didn't hurt but was a relief to have the feeling of it there finally gone. 

ETA: so yes I could feel it being pulled out, but it didn't hurt.

• homemake said:
    @jlellis603 Out of curiosity, are you nervous about getting an IV? Did having blood work done freak you out about it? Or are you just kind of mining for as much information as possible. Either way is cool, just wondering.

Yeah I am nervous to get an IV. I had one when I was younger for a minor tooth surgery but I don't remember it so I'm not counting it. But I guess that fear stuck with me because apparently when I had it they had to give me laughing gas beforehand because I just wouldn't calm down. I don't like needles at all. I have tattoos but that's different IMO. Other than that time I don't remember I have never had blood drawn or given an IV or anything like that until BFP. Also, FTM so getting as much info as possible because I have no idea what I'm doing or what to expect.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2016
    Thank you @JannieJ! That's good you didn't really notice it.  I'm sure as PP have mentioned that during the chaos of the labor, I probably won't even notice the catheter.  I'll have to remember the bit about pushing the button for the epidural.  Thank you again!

• I had a catheter during my epi. I didn't feel anything at all related to it. They inserted it and took it out while I was numb. Although a few days later, I got a horrendous UTI that most likely was from having it. 
  • UTI's ugh. I don't know about you guys but I've been through a lot of stuff medically and UTI's are one of my 5 worst experiences. 

• AfKash said:
    @jlellis603 I've had a ridiculous amount of IV's and blood draws. They hurt a little bit when they initially poke you and then it doesn't (usually) hurt anymore.  Depends on the nurse and your vein.  At this point I know that my right arm is better and easier for my nurses than my left.  
    I do recommend you asking them to put the IV somewhere in your forearm, rather than your hand or the crook of your arm.  I don't like the hand because it makes it harder for me to do stuff with it including using the bathroom and washing my hands.  I don't like the crook because it hurts and is uncomfortable everytime you need to bend your arm.  

Question for everyone: when you guys say "catheter" you are talking about a urine catheter, right? Do they put that in you when you get an epidural? I've never had a catheter while I was awake.  I've had one put in me after I was knocked out for surgery and they removed it before they woke me up.  And yes, I'm terrified of having one put in me while I'm awake.  What does it feel like? Can you feel it in you the whole time? I'm sure it's very painful when they put it in and take it out.  Right? 

ETA: @jlellis603 you also want to make sure you make a nice tight fist when they are sticking you with the needle.  The fist causes your vein to harden, making it easier to get the needle in. Otherwise, it's like trying to stick a needle into a deflated balloon. 
    @jlellis603 I'm a nurse, so I put IVs in people often. I just wanted to correct @AfKash the IV actually goes in MUCH easier when you try to totally relax. Do not make a fist or tighten up for the IV, the veins will actually clamp down and make it more difficult for the person putting the IV in. Just remember to breathe as it's going it because it is soooo important to be relaxed for it. if the alcohol they used to swab the site isn't completely dry before they stick you, then it burns pretty bad as it's going in. Once it's in, it shouldn't hurt. Maybe a little discomfort from tape. Some medications can burn going in (penicillin did for me!). If you aren't getting an epidural ask them to "saline lock" the IV & they will disconnect it so you can be free to move 
  • @rmpiszczek I totally respect and appreciate that you're a nurse.  But whaaaaaa?  I swear, I've had multiple nurses/phlebotomists tell me about the fist to make it easier.  Did something change? Even just earlier this year, I had to have twenty vials of blood and the nurse was very talkative and she told me this, too. 

• rmpiszczekrmpiszczek member
    edited September 2016
    I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. After they put the tourniquet on, totally pump your fist a few times, that works awesome to help your veins distend a little, but when they actually stick you should relax.  Its not something that's really as necessary for the IV, because the IV puts fluid in, rather than taking blood out. But they ask you to do it for the blood draw so they can get more blood out. I hope that makes sense. 
    I mean, you are definitely not wrong! But for the actual stick it helps to relax. 

ETA: its not so much the making a fist that helps but really the pumping your fist. Although if they put the tourniquet on and your arm is hanging lower than your heart, the veins will distend that was pretty well. 
  • @rmpiszczek phew! Ok, good.  Thank you for the clarification!! 

• @jlellis603 Gotcha. I kind of used to be in the same place you were. You will be surprised at what you can handle with ease in the heat of the moment. And then after the experience of L+D you might find yourself looking back on things that used to keep you up at night like they are nothing. That's not a guarantee of course but here's to hoping! 
  • @rmpiszczek thank you for the advice! Hearing from a medical professional helps, me anyway, to not be as anxious. Especially when they explain what's going on and how to keep calm like you did.

@homemake that's actually comforting, thank you!  My hope is that I won't care about stuff like that while I'm in labor because...there's a baby coming out of me haha. And I know there are people that are or were nervous like I am so it's nice to hear that it wasn't as bad for them!
  • I'm with @AfKash, a UTI is 100 times worse than the IV or catheter!! Adding fear of UTI to the birthing worry list!