Special Needs

Heart defects and delivery

This might be an odd question, but I wanted to know from mothers, who have a child with a heart defect, if you were allowed to give birth vaginally or was a c-section required?

My baby has a complete AVSD and I am wondering about giving birth. I am meeting with the Cardiologist next month and will ask, but wanted to hear some experiences.

Re: Heart defects and delivery

• Had a vaginal birth, pretty normal and uneventful labor.
  • Loading the player...
  • My son was born with Tetralogy of Fallot and I was allowed to have him vaginally. In fact, they said vaginal was preferred because it helps squeeze their lungs out. I was induced because I had to have him in a different city and I had to be monitored the whole time but I had an epidural so that was fine. 
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Thank you ladies!
  • With my daughter, she has HLHS, we were able to give birth vaginally, but we're induced 5 days before my due date. It was actually pretty easy, they had to turn off my pitocin at 7 am though because her heart rate started dropping, but I was still able to get an epidural and everything. Because I was being induced I had to labor in bed the whole time so they could monitor her heart rate, but after that epidural I didn't care at all! Good luck!
  • My son has ASD, pulmonary vein stenosis and partial anamolous venous return - I had an emergency c section because he decided to come 7 weeks early (we didn't know about the defects until after he was born). Good luck to you and your heart warrior!
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18