August 2016 Moms

Moms who bump in the night

Re: Moms who bump in the night

• Loading the player...
  • Fed LO at 10 then swaddled her and out her in bassinet so I could lay down as well. Here I am at 11:30. Please, oh please, don't tell me this is how feedings will go tonight. 

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• Anyone else's LO not wanting to sleep in their bed? I literally will lay down my LO and she'll wake within a few minutes. As soon as I grab her she'll sleep or want to nurse and then sleep. I don't know if it's a growth spurt or just her wanting to be near me. I just want to sleep  :#
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @Duffgurl. Our LO did that a couple nights ago. I think he was going thru a leap at 5 weeks. (Per the wonder years app) 
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • @jkershaw2013 yes! With our 1st LO we did the RNP and it was so hard trying to transition from RNP to his crib. Then with our 2nd LO BF was so hard and our LO was with me constant from nursing. I did a lot of sleeping with him in the bed and the transitioning him to his bed was hard too. So we said crib for sure for this LO. 

She is 4weeks today....I just keep telling myself this won't last forever but I'm so tired. Thank heaven for the Bump...someone is always up  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I think LO is on a growth spurt again, he has been on the boob for the better part of the last 2 hours!
  • @Duffgurl my LO has been doing the same thing. She'll be 4 weeks tomorrow. She had been nursing every 3-4 hours at night but for the past few nights she is up every 1-2 hours. the only thing that calms her is nursing and she falls soundly asleep during this. After I lay her down, she's fussing and acting hungry within just a few minutes. I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt or leap (she did outgrow her newborn sleepers 2 days ago) because mama needs more sleep!

TTC 9/2013

• My babe got a round of shots yesterday and then proceeded to sleep for five straight hours. Unfortunately that was from 5-10 last evening. So we were up all night and he was a grump!! Poor guy. I feel sorry for all of you that deal with that every night.
  • DH has a sore throat so off to the couch he goes. He said DD was doing the most yesterday between 12-2 AM but she just got drunk off of milk & is sound asleep in her RnP next to me. 

I fully expect her to be awake in three hours or less but here's to a far fetched hope that she sleeps until 5 am. 
  • Anyone else experiencing the six week growth spurt/sleep regression??? My eyes may fall out. We were getting a good four or five hour stretches since week two but this week up every 1.5-2 hours.
  • court5608 said:
    Anyone else experiencing the six week growth spurt/sleep regression??? My eyes may fall out. We were getting a good four or five hour stretches since week two but this week up every 1.5-2 hours.
    Yes! We have a very hungry little guy over here!
  • DD is 8 wks old today. What's up with her not sleeping through the night? She slept for like an hour after my last post here hoping she'd sleep til 5. She was awake from 12:30-2 AM. Idk how I'm functioning right now.
  • @court5608 we've regressed to that for the last week, only LO is only 4 weeks today. Ahh

TTC 9/2013

• Jealous of all you ladies who get even 3 hour stretches of sleep! My LO wakes every 1-2 hours and is usually up 2-3 hours at a time at night like from 1am-4am. This is one tired mommy over here! 
  • @court5608 little man is going to be 6 weeks on Saturday and the last couple nights has been waking every 3 hours to eat, when he typically does a 4 or 5 hour stretch and then a 3. But thankfully he's still going to sleep pretty quick after each feeding. Hoping we get our old schedule back soon!
  • *MAJOR STRESS VENT*

We went over to our friend's house for pizza night and her fiancé's cousin was also over. It was our first time meeting her but she flipped out when she saw baby A. She screamed, "oh my goodness! She's so tiny!!!" Then proceeded to ask if she can hold baby A. Normally, I'd say no since I just met her for the first time but I reluctantly said yes (thinking it will be a five min kinda thing).

That woman did not want to give our baby back. She is an ER nurse, 3 mths in, so I felt reassured she knew how to deal with newborns but...then she started to sniff baby A's head and sort of rub her face on A's cheeks.

That's when anxiety kicked in: She is an ER nurse exposed to all sorts of things from her shift today. My baby's 8 wks old and still hasn't gotten her 2 mth shots.

This was such a stressful circumstance because I feel awkward confronting my friend's fiancé or his cousin why I don't want her holding baby A.

It would also help to know if she would be there tonight before we walked in the door. I at least could have gotten a heads up and maybe told my friend my hesitations of someone else besides them holding baby A.

All in all, I know they didn't mean any harm by inviting his cousin over and her going bat shit cray cray on baby A but this FTM does not appreciate at all what just happened tonight...especially when DH is feeling under the weather.

What are the chances of baby A getting sick in the near future? She's been passed around like a football at dinner tonight & then was held hostage by an overly excited RN who got way too close to baby A. DH sounds congested. Oh and my little nephews are visiting us for the long weekend (& who knows what other germs they carry).

This was such a difficult and one off situation. I don't feel like taking her anywhere for a while...but nephews want to go to the Air & Space museum (they never got to explore DC previously as they were too young). Ughhhh am I being too lenient as her mother? Should I even take the risk and take her to the museum? They also might want to go to the aquarium...stuff 4 & 2 yr olds like to do!
  • @AliKay20 I'm actually coming to DC in a couple weeks and I fully intend to do all the things. For the most part kiddos in strollers or who are worn don't get touched. 
  • @AliKay20 I'm actually coming to DC in a couple weeks and I fully intend to do all the things. For the most part kiddos in strollers or who are worn don't get touched. 
    Aw that's awesome - hope you guys enjoy your stay (if you have any questions on good restaurants and the like, feel free to PM me)!!

And glad to hear; it's reassuring. We'll probably bring our Ergo and carry DD around.
  • jacmkelleyjacmkelley member
    edited September 2016
    @AliKay20 Ok so I would have died. We went to a family members going away party two weekends ago and there were a ton of missionaries there. I didn't know who had just returned or were just leaving and everyone was wanting to hold baby. My aunt kept saying it was all ok and going to be fine and he was building antibodies. I will say no one I didn't know did not hold him. I just wanted to relate to you as much as possible.
    I would have freaked out too. I will just be sending baby A super good healthy vibes! Hopefully she's super strong. My aunt that said that told me breast feeding just gives those babies all kinds of good stuff and they will be fine. So instead of worrying we will just go with that. And next time some crazy ass woman wants to nuzzle your child for hours don't feel guilty just saying - eh it's almost time for her to eat. Lol maybe that'll work. 
    Big creepy internet hugs for your horribly awkward stressful situation tonight. I feel your pain. Because when the the old woman and the young obsessed girl hovered my child for 2 hours at my cousins going away my mom had to awkwardly bring into conversation that he was only 3 weeks old with one round of shots and that I wasn't comfortable passing him around yet. 
    The younger girl was like, "Well I just went to a sip and see and we all held that baby and was brand new...". Well that's f'ing great I DONT KNOW YOU!!!!!!
  • @AliKay20 our go to excuse when we didn't want someone to hold DD was "she's not feeling too good, maybe another time." No one questions a "sick" baby. 
  • @AliKay20 I don't blame you for getting anxiety over that situation. I would have too!! 

As for going this weekend. Play it by ear. But I agree with @texasmama2014 about LO being worn or in strollers don't get touched. If you have a canopy, use that and just don't let ppl breathe on DD. If ppl ask to look or see, just tell them no. That's what I do. 
    Good luck! 
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • We brought DS to a bbq this past weekend because my DH's cousin was in town for his yearly visit from China (he plays in an orchestra there). I didn't even think about the types of illness he could have brought back with him until we were actually at the party, but luckily he never held the baby and didn't really even touch him I think. And only one or two people held LO other than the grandparents (who got the Tdap shot since we knew they'd be spending lots of time with LO). It's so nerve wracking letting others hold the baby, but I also am trying to not have us completely holed up at home. 

@Lynnlove28 thanks for the idea for next time! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AliKay20AliKay20 member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks @jacmkelley @Lynnlove28

I tried the "she has to eat soon" method and got baby A back but she conveniently decided to take a hard nap and I couldn't feed her (well I could have if I woke her up). Then baby A being a football resumed when they knew she wasn't going to be fed anytime soon.

I should try the "not feeling too well" card next time. I didn't even have a chance to react properly as my friend took baby A as soon as we got to her lobby (& at this point, I didn't know that lady would be in their apt). 

You really don't think about these things until you become a mom. That's what's so annoying about it - they just don't get it.
  • Any tips for how to get LO's to sleep when they take a bottle in the MOTN? When Baby Q breastfeeds he just passes out on my chest no problem, but when DH feeds to let me sleep he can't seem to get LO to sleep, although I'm sure he doesn't have the same level of patience when rocking. 

Any advice?
  • @AliKay20 was she still wearing her scrubs from her shift? If not, then don't worry. If she was, chances are still really slim of baby catching anything! I'm sure she does good hand hygiene. I know it's hard not to worry, but I'm sure she's fine! 
  • @caitlinj187 Do you guys swaddle? Maybe keep LO swaddled while he takes his bottle, or stop towards the end to burp and swaddle before he finishes it. Keep lights dim, use white noise?

• @AliKay20 that's the best because you can anticipate people in you bubble and dodge! 

I'll only be in actual DC a day or 2, 
  • @AliKay20 that's the best because you can anticipate people in you bubble and dodge! 

Holy cow I was tired when I wrote this. Couldn't even finish it or use proper English!

I meant to say: we're only going to visit DC for s few days because we're actually driving over for my sisters wedding in Charlottesville. 
  • @tisunge602 yeah we swaddle before feeding. I think DH just needs to learn some patience that once he falls asleep to wait 10-15 minutes before plopping him in the bassinet so he's in a deeper sleep. White noise could also help, I should try that! Thanks 

Holy cow I was tired when I wrote this. Couldn't even finish it or use proper English!

I meant to say: we're only going to visit DC for s few days because we're actually driving over for my sisters wedding in Charlottesville. 
    Lol, from one tired mama to another...I got what you meant ;)

Also, a Charlottesville wedding?! Sounds gorgeous. There are tons of beautiful wineries out there. DH & I considered some venues for our wedding in Charlottesville. Congrats to your sis! Enjoy some local VA wines & beautiful backdrop of the mountains. :)
  • @texasmama2014 Charlottesville is amazing! If you have time, you should check out Carter Mountain Orchard for their apple cider donuts and The Flat. The Flat has delicious crepes.
  • @AliKay20 @skelly1990 I was actually out there in early July for the bachelorette/bridal shower, it really is a gorgeous area and a neat town. My sister did her masters at UVA and now works at the UVA hospital. they're getting married at a super pretty country club. We'll be out there about a week so I'm hoping to take in some wineries and history stuff!!
  • Have so much fun @texasmama2014 I got my masters at UVA and fell in love with the town and school. And the wineries are pretty awesome too!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• For some reason I'm still up. I was watching netflix, and suddenly it's 230 am! I bet I'll be paying for this tomorrow. ..
  • Lo has been feeding for almost 40 minutes- I'm so tired it hurts, hopefully he will fall asleep with a full tummy soon! 
  • A was up until 1:30. Then slept until 3:30.  Fell back asleep at 4:15 and is now up again (5:30). Just give me a caffeine iv please. 
  • ShanRum3 said:
    @sparklypink17girl Our pediatrician told us not to let Colin nurse for more than 30 minutes at a time. She said something about it burning calories to nurse, and he'd basically be burning too many if he nursed longer than 30 minutes. He averages 25-28 minutes per feeding and if he wants to nurse longer, I offer a binkie.  He's almost always content with it. Sometimes babies just suck for comfort. So if you haven't already,  you might want to try that. Might buy you a bit more sleep. 
    I just want to say though, that since we don't have to wake to feed every 2 hours at night, Colin just slept 3.5 hours before waking up to eat! It was so nice to actually get to sleep more than an hour and a half at a time!
    I wonder if this was our issue when I was nursing DD. She would nurse for twenty minutes each side. Then have to be changed and soothed to sleep. The whole process took over an hour. And she was feeding every 2-3 hours. She was really fussy through all of it too. Sigh.

Now that we have switched to formula. She eats in 15 minutes, changed, and soothed either right away or within an hour. Usually averaging 30 minutes. She fights going to sleep still. But I just rock and rock and rock her until she winds down. 

I think we have a strong willed child. 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18