December 2016 Moms
Options

shaving?

Help!  Ok, this may seem a bit stupid or shallow, but here it is.  Now that my belly is getting bigger, I am finding it harder and harder to shave my legs, and other parts.  I usually shave in the shower, propping my legs up on the edge of the tub.  It is getting harder for me to bend down and shave all the way up.  As for my other parts, I can't see them well over my belly.  If it was winter, I might not mind so much, but since it is summer and way hot up here in NJ, I would rather not show off scary man legs.  Does anyone else have this issue, and more importantly, does anyone have any advice or solutions?

Re: shaving?

• Options
    I have the same issue. I cramp like crazy trying to bend over to shave. I can't remember if it was here or not, but someone mentioned to me to get an electric razor, if you don't have one already. Apparently it helps to make it somewhat easier.
  • Options
    I take at least one nice long relaxing bubble bath a week and shave then..much easier from that angle for me!

Me:27   H:30
    Till death do us part: 7.2.2011
    Trying to conceive since 01.2014
    Low AFC and azoospermia
    IVF #1 03.2016 - BFP 03.28.2016
    Due: 12.05.2016

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I told DH that I may need to use his electric shaver once I can't shave my legs in the shower. I pained my toenails yesterday and that was rough! He said we'd just go out and buy for me to use. I thought about letting my leg hair grow and then just getting it waxed, but I don't think I could wait THAT long, since it needs to be a certain length. However, I am debating doing that for my bikini zone and other areas, as I like to keep them trim. My one shaver has a razor on the end for trimming, so I may just do that and guess, ha.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    +1 for shaving my legs in the bath. I can also balance a leg in the counter, turn almost sideways - so the bump isn't in the way - and shave like that. 

As for the lady bits, I just use the nair hair removal cream. Wipe it on, leave 5-10 min, shower/wipe it off. Takes care of about 90% of it. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    I'm so feeling your pain. A friend told me to go get waxed, but I'm uncomfortable with that plus it's $$$. 
    Here is what works best from my experience... For the legs, sit on your butt in the shower and rest them on the edge of the tub. If you have a stand up shower, that's not going to work though. In which case I'd go with the electric shaver. 
    For the nether regions, I just squatted and felt my way the other week but it was a little terrifying. So now it is time to break out the hand mirror! I squat and set the hand mirror below me to try and make it happen. At least that's what I did my last 2 pregnancies. I'm thinking about just giving up this time and being all hairy... 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Am I the only one roping their SO into shaving their legs for them? And he actually does a much better job than me, I almost always nick myself.

I don't mind using Nair either, but I know some people who are allergic and have gotten chemical burns from it. So if you've never used Nair before try it on a tiny patch of skin first to make sure you don't have a bad reaction.
  • Options
    @ashleaf2018 DH shaved my legs for me some last pregnancy. He has offered to do it again, but I haven't taken him up on it yet. I'm thinking I'm going to accept his offer here soon.
  • Options
    I only go up to the knees and haven't had a problem yet just using the ledge. I am planning on getting a stool at some point but those teak stools are like $150. I like the idea of having DH do it in the bath though. I still haven't used my bath though we bought our house in May!  :o
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    p.s. @Kate08Young I wish I could use the bikini area cream, it burns!! 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    A fantastic question. I just realized this weekend that leg shaving in my stand-up shower is a no go from now on. I got it done but it was an Olympic event, really. Might see if DH could help. I'll report back with the hilarity of that.  I've all but said F it to my bikini though. An electric razor with a hand mirror helps, but it ends up looking so weird by the end of that business that I decide I won't do it at all "next time." Sheesh. It's hot in GA...pants every day is an issue. Wahhhh I feel you. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My legs are still ok at this point. It's effort, but doable. By the time it's gets to be too much it'll probably be pants weather and I'll just say screw it. No shame. 

Last week I came out of the shower and proclaimed to FI that the lady parts are no go. He'll just have to deal   :p I've has issues with the bait stuff before so I'll skip that. Maybe I'll be brave enough if we have to go swimming or something. 
  • Options
    I have the same issue and am SUPER hairy so forgoing shaving is not for me unfortunately.

I've been roughing it out in the shower but afterwards it feels like I've run a marathon. As for my bikini area I'm used to shaving it "blind" but I've found the angles now are a lot different.

I do what I can and told DH he has to deal with it. I don't even want to know what it looks like down there at this point so I'm definitely avoiding the hand mirror.
  • Options
    allicat89allicat89 member
    edited August 2016
    @cjt121413 - That's how I roll too. I usually wear capris without shaving, and I've discovered that most people don't even notice my Sasquatch legs.

One option you have, OP, is to make some subtle wardrobe changes. I always wear swimshorts so I don't have to worry about the bikini line. Breathable, long hiking pants give you a sporty, outdoorsy look and also cover hairy legs.  And if you are feeling extra lazy (like I usually am), a bolero immediately makes a sleeveless dress socially acceptable without having to pull out a razor! 

But OP, I completely understand if you're not willing to join me back in the 1970's! I don't think it's shallow at all to worry about shaving! As for a solution, I don't think I would trust my husband to shave my legs or any other parts. A professional wax might be an option if you have the money, but the bubble bath sounds like the most fun to me!
  • Options
    Electric shaver.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I shaved my legs and waxed my bits throughout my last pregnancy. This time around I'm still standing in the shower to shave both. I'm pretty good at shaving my lady parts 'blind'. Towards the end I'll prob end up having to sit or squat in the tub but I have no intention of forgoing altogether. Nope nope nope :grin:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Waxing. Seriously it is so nice. I stopped shaving my bikini area over 5 years ago (never looked back) and stopped shaving my legs and underarms about a year ago, though I do admit to shaving those areas in a pinch and regret it every time. The hair grow back so thin after consistent waxing. There is a chain store near me that runs a full body special for $65. Brazilian only is $30. Legs only is like $20 I think. I have a high pain tolerance, but I have not noticed a difference in pain since being pregnant. If you're considering it, ask around for a good reputable place. Whatever you do, don't go to a regular nail salon and expect a good wax. They may be ok at eyebrows and upper lip, but anything else has been a horrid experience for me. 
    December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I always sit down to shave, I guess that's not the norm? I even do now in the stand up shower. So far I'm not having trouble shaving my legs. It's a little more of a blind guess on the bikini area though. 
  • Options
    The walls of my shower/tub are high so I haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood).  For my lady bits I use a trimmer, and so far no issues going blind with that haha.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    so... now to be really dumb... with an electric shaver, how do you do it? Dry? shave cream? where do the little hairs go?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    The thought of not shaving for the rest of pregnancy sounds horrifying. Well, more for the people that have to look at me, anyway lol. I'm too damn hairy to not shave. I have to shave in some form everyday. I've got werewolf blood or something. If I stopped shaving today, I would be mounted above someone's fireplace by the end of the year.

My belly isn't too big yet where I can't see, so crisis averted...for now. ;)
  • Options
    so... now to be really dumb... with an electric shaver, how do you do it? Dry? shave cream? where do the little hairs go?
    I've used one in the shower with just water. 

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    @slartybartfast I haven't tried this yet myself, but my sister swears by this method for bikini line clean up: sit on the toilet backwards facing the tank, then use the shaver to trim up any areas you'd like. All the hairs go into the toilet bowl and all you have to do is flush. This probably works best if you are just going for a shorter,trimmed look, not super close to the skin.
  • Options
    @slartybartfast When I have used an electric shaver, I just would do it right before a shower. So standing in the tub, dry 'shaving' and the little hairs would go the same place as they would when using a razor - down the drain/to the hair-covering. 

• Options
    I only shave my legs up to my knees. Never did more than that. I also only shave once a week. Lazy! But hey, my razors last forever. I shave in the tub. 

My lady bits....well, I'll shave in 3 weeks for my Dr appointment where I need wand based ultrasound. Unless there's another of those, I won't be shaving again. Benefit of complete pelvic rest I guess! But I typically use DH's beard trimmer even when not pregnant so "shave" is a bit generous of a term. Also with a c section, I'll let them take care of that crap! Lazy always wins. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    Okay so im going to share a disturbing story. 2 weeks ago I decided to shave and I winged it in the shower with my shick dual hydro trimmer and razor. I trimmed then cleaned it up. I thought I got all the spots even though I had  ZERO visual confirmation. So I get out of the shower and towel myself off. I was getting dressed and noticed spots of blood dripping. I'm like WTF?! I go look in my full length mirror and it looked like donkey kong got into a fight with Freddy Krueger.

Moral of the story... I'll be shaving in the bath tub at angles and using a mirror from now on. 

Me: 29
    DH: 30
    Happily Ever After: 05-15-2015
    TTC since June 2015 
    BFP 3/21! - E.D.D. 11/28/16!

Pregnancy Ticker
    September Football Siggy

• Options
    So just as I finished reading this thread I went to pinterest and the first thing on my home page was "how to shave your bikini area while pregnant" lol talk about weird!!! I've just being doing my best with my legs and as for my lady bits area....I've just avoided it...I'll probably take a mirror and trim it up close to D-day :)
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    It's more annoying to shave my legs in my stand up shower now that my belly is growing but I'm still doing it on the regular. With both of my last two pregnancies I shaved at least weekly up until the end! And not trying to join @dmontgo's braggy train ;) but I haven't had trouble seeing my lady parts yet. However, I typically do get a bikini wax several times a year just because I really like not having the shave that area. Too sensitive and easy to get cuts/razor burn. Bikini waxing for lyfe. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    For those who get their lady bits waxed. Pre-pregnancy I was all about the wax, now I'm scared to go back since I heard with increased sensitivity it is way more uncomfortable. Any thoughts or advice? I've avoided calling the salon, but with my belly growing I will either have to make an appt or rock the bush.
  • Options
    For those who get their lady bits waxed. Pre-pregnancy I was all about the wax, now I'm scared to go back since I heard with increased sensitivity it is way more uncomfortable. Any thoughts or advice? I've avoided calling the salon, but with my belly growing I will either have to make an appt or rock the bush.
    I would say there was a slight increase I  discomfort but nothing unmanageable. Certainly nothing that outweighed the benefit :wink:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so glad someone asked this! I was thinking about asking on the stupid question board but hadnt yet. Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!
    I've always I shaved my legs about once a week, usually by putting my foot up on the shower wall. This is still sort of working for me, except for the outside of my left leg (I'm right handed), so I'm trying to get better at shaving with my left hand so I can reach that side. I've been getting my lady parts waxed for the last probably six years and love it, but since getting pregnant, it has become super sensitive, and I just don't think I can handle it any more. I think I'm done waxing for the rest of this pregnancy. I think I'll try DH's electric trimmer pretty soon.
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    @jandd2014 You don't use your hand that correlates with your leg? Like right-right and left-left? No wonder you are having difficulties reaching around a bump.

• Options
    @BabyRobbinsAdventure have you ever tried sugaring? I used go get waxed a few times a year, but have converted to getting sugared instead. I've found it to be less painful. Not sure if this is popular/available everywhere- or more so where I live, I don't think I can go back to wax. Basically, they use hot sugar to remove your hair going with the grain (unlike waxing where they go against the grain). I haven't tried it while pregnant, but it might be something to try if you're worried about increased sensitivity. 
  • Options
    Haven't had too much trouble with the legs yet, but the bikini line is getting more difficult (I'm doing a lot more twisting to see around the bump!)  DH has volunteered to do it for me, but I haven't taken him up on it yet.  Don't know if I can do the hand mirror, like others have said, I don't really like looking at myself that closely when not pregnant, let alone now!  I have another MD appointment next Monday, so will probably be shaving again for that.  Thanks for the suggestions, ladies, I will probably need to check some of them out soon!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @BabyRobbinsAdventure I haven't noticed a difference at all. How long have you been regularly getting waxed? Any shaving in between? I think part of the reason I didn't notice any change was because of how thin the hair has gotten down there and how sparsely it grows (compared to before) after like 5 years of all waxing. Honestly I think the legs, right on the top of the shin, hurt worse than the Brazilian. 
    December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker