March 2017 Moms

Crib Recommendations

I'm currently trying to decide between a convertible crib or just a standard crib. Have any of the STM+ continued to convert the crib as your child grows or is it just a waste of money? 

Thanks! 
Me: 24 DH: 27
High School Sweethearts: 10/13/06
Married: 10/13/13
Baby #1 EDD: 3/20/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Crib Recommendations

• we got the convertible, however, all we did was take the front off to convert to a toddler bed, then when she was ready for a twin, we got her a new set, a "big girl" room with her own furniture- since we knew we were trying for another, we knew that we would need the nursery furniture for future babies, so we got her a new set
    **~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • we got a convertible with our DS and we loved it. he used it as a toddler bed until about 2.5 when we moved him into a single. it was an easy transition for him both from the crib to the toddler bed, and from the toddler to the single.

Plan on doing it again with these two!

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Loading the player...
  • This is our first baby and we don't plan on having any future babies (since we have full custody of my niece). I just want to make sure that the money is worth it! @MrsNap_515 & @Liss_37 what brand crib did you end up purchasing and did you like the quality? 

Thanks again!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got one that was just went crib to toddler bed with the thought that DD would use the toddler bed and then we would have the new baby use it and get a new bed for DD, but since she is only 12 months she is still in the crib and the plan may not work out before new baby comes. Love her crib though and didn't want one that converted to a big bed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • we actually purchased an IKEA crib (not sure if IKEA is popular in the states?) and it was fantastic. Even though it's a regular size, it's very compact which was great because we had a small space. They still sell the same one so we're going to grab another so that the twins cribs match. :)

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• @meq124 I'm also torn between the crib/toddler option and the crib/toddler/full. I have a feeling that by the time they are old enough for a twin or full bed that I will want new furniture for them. Kids aren't the most gentle on furniture haha. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @OctoberLove13 we got it at BRU, it was Delta brand, a cherry finish, we got it because it was marked down as an open box special, we put it together, one piece had a chip, but it was no biggie to us at all, couldn't tell...it was fantastic quality! lasted her over 3 years and still in great shape to use again.  I would also definitely recommend getting one of those vinyl/waterproof mattresses, so that you are only changing the sheet if there's an accident, the mattress wipes clean with clorox wipes, it was a fantastic purchase
    **~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Liss_37 as far as I know we don't have an IKEA anywhere in Oklahoma but I've heard that it's a neat store! I've been reading reviews for each one that I have liked so far. Sometimes they help and sometimes they don't.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Octoberlove A big factor for me was price, didn't seem worth the cost plus I had the same thought that I would probably be redoing the room when she gets a big girl bed with new furniture. This is the crib I got, ended up getting it for $199 on amazon, but it's awesome with an amazing price tag. My SIL got an $800 crib for my niece. She chewed on the part that will become the headboard and essentially ruined it. Kids are a-holes when it comes to having nice things!

https://www.wayfair.com/DaVinci-Jenny-Lind-3-in-1-Convertible-Crib-M7391C-DV1768.html
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you @MrsNap_515 ! I've seen several Delta brand cribs that I like. The one I really like is DaVinci brand but it's around the same price range.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hahaha! @meq124 I've learned that with my niece. We scored a nice bedroom set for her on Craigslist and she's put stickers all over the mirror to the dresser and some on the nightstand. She knows better but the damage is done now.  :| I'm thinking the crib/toddler combo will be best for us.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Depending on what part of OK you're in, @OctoberLove13, there's one in Frisco, Texas (maybe The Colony?) which may not be too far from you!
    Me: 36  DH: 35.
    Married: 8/2005.
    BFP: 6/22/2016 EDD: 3/4/2017.
  • Looks like it's about 4 hours away but thanks @peony2418 ! I know several people that would love to have an IKEA around here though!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @OctoberLove13 There's one in KC too if you're ever up there! We inherited a crib that converted to a toddler and then full-size bed... it's currently being used as our guest bed, actually, because we also inherited a toddler bed. This time around I'm actually going for an IKEA crib because we're a little short on space, but one that will convert to a toddler bed as well!
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @datalover13 I honestly should wait a little while before purchasing anything. All of my MIL's friends have grandkids and they will probably pass their baby stuff to me. No shame in that game! Some hand-me-downs are the best! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We technically have a convertible crib but we didn't buy the extra pieces for the toddler bed. We were planning to use the crib until baby #2 came and get DS a big boy bed bc to be honest I just find them so cute...DS is only 12 months right now so we will see how far we can stretch baby in the bassinet and move DS over when he is ready. I really don't want to buy another crib..

If you do decide to go convertible I would definitely recommend buying all the pieces you need at once because models get discontinued and the toddler parts might not be made any more when you need them. 
  • @ashannon3490 very valid point on buying all of the parts at once! I'll probably use a bassinet until baby outgrows it since the other bedrooms are all upstairs. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not to hijack the thread but has anyone built their own crib? DH would like to (he is a carpenter after all) so I am hoping to find a good template for him...
  • I used the convertible crib for the toddler bed option, but not the twin bed option, since we had a mattress from our spare bed which was a queen and not a twin and as it turned out will need the crib again for #2.  We bought ours off craigs list from grandparents, so it was hardly used.  My daughter wasn't rough on it so it still looks good for this time around.  For #2 I plan on using it through the toddler bed option and then probably trying to sell it if it is still in good shape, as we have another spare bed to use already.  We knew we would probably have another baby and I liked that I didn't have a crib taking up storage for so long since we used the toddler bed until DD was 4.5yrs old.
  • We got the Davinci Jenny Lind crib off Amazon for DD and did not convert it, even though it can convert. for this LO, I may paint it a fun bright color and then convert it with a twin bed frame when s/he gets bigger. I lucked out and got DD a Pottery Barn iron bed frame off CL for $100 so we could use the crib for #2. 
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • We bought a convertible crib for our son. He went into the toddler bed at about 22 months and then at 2 1/2 we went to the full sized bed. He is four and the furniture is still in good condition. We are going to do the same for this little one. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We spent 100 bucks on one for my son because my daughter wasn't out of hers. There is no difference from my super expensive dive one to my cheaper one. We can take the side off both and use as a toddler bed... then we transition to a single. I think it's a waste of money IMO to spend a ton on one... from my experience since I've had both. 
  • We  purchased the delta Haven for in one crib from target with the matching set. I can't explain how much we love this crap! We ended up moving DS into the toddler bed at 17 months because lowering him into the crib would wake him up but if you laid next to him and rubbed his back, he'd sleep the whole night through! 

we just bought a guardrail by munchkin that can fold down and after he's asleep- it goes right up! 
  • Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @PattersRN thank you!! That is a perfect starting ground!
  • If you get hand me down cribs you might want to check to make sure they meet current safety standards (example: slat width, front shouldn't slide down)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm of the same opinion as @NurseMama - got a $100 one online that can also have a side removed and turned into a bed. My "cheap" one has worked just fine.
  • Thanks ladies!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • PattersRN said:
    That crib is so pretty.
    Me: 36  DH: 35.
    Married: 8/2005.
    BFP: 6/22/2016 EDD: 3/4/2017.
  • Ikea, ladies. So reasonable and sturdy
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • I bought a convertible crib from my daughter. Its very pretty, but we got a Pottery Barn crib.... which is pricey. We will be getting ikea cribs for the twins. We moved when my daughter was 6 months and i realized that cribs get banged up... chewed up... and i just prefer pay 100 than 600 lol
    Married the love of my life: 11/12/2009
    1st BFP ever : 11/19/2014
    1/9/2015 our miracle baby was welcomed in heaven.
    BFP #2 : 4/21/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is our third baby and we currently own 2 cribs (kids ages 1 and almost 3). Our oldest got a pottery barn crib that does not convert. Our second got a much cheaper crib that you can take the front off of for a toddler bed. In my experience with having babies approx 21 months apart, an expensive crib is not worth the money. Some kids sleep in cribs a long time (our daughter doesn't want to give hers up at almost 3) but I've heard of some kids wanting a big bed at 2. You won't be sure of your situation until you are in it. Some conversion kits cost as much as purchasing a new bed. In our case, we wanted to wait to see how many of each gender we will have to determine long term bed purchase (we will most likely need bunk beds). 
  • Linds1083 said:
    This is our third baby and we currently own 2 cribs (kids ages 1 and almost 3). Our oldest got a pottery barn crib that does not convert. Our second got a much cheaper crib that you can take the front off of for a toddler bed. In my experience with having babies approx 21 months apart, an expensive crib is not worth the money. Some kids sleep in cribs a long time (our daughter doesn't want to give hers up at almost 3) but I've heard of some kids wanting a big bed at 2. You won't be sure of your situation until you are in it. Some conversion kits cost as much as purchasing a new bed. In our case, we wanted to wait to see how many of each gender we will have to determine long term bed purchase (we will most likely need bunk beds). 
    Good point. My son moved to a double mattress bed on the floor at 9ish months because he needed more room to flop (he wears a heavy brace at night). You never know! Our crib was 150, and the front comes off to convert to a toddler bed. It has held up really well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had a beautiful convertible crib but DD1 chewed it horribly so I won't be using it for a big kid bed. It's being thoroughly ruined and then thrown out (or donated if it is alright) after baby #4!
  • I'm 99% sure that the answer will be NO to this question, but I'm going to ask anyway. 

Does anyone have experience with modifying a crib to make it handicapped accessible for a disabled parent? My husband has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair around the house, and I would really like to have a solution so that he can help with the babies. I've seen a couple of projects online, but I'm not sure that I can pull the trigger. 
  • Well, as for thrnewborn stage pack n plays with a bassinet on top would be pretty accessible, at first at least. @direwolfmini
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina I'm going with something like this at first: https://www.babytrend.com/nursery_centers_deluxe/PY66A06F.html (pack n play with twin bassinets), but after they are too big for that, I would really like my husband to be able to help with the babies.

Not sure I'm cool with all of the bedtime/naps for twins b/c he can't reach into the cribs
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited August 2016
    @longliveregina I'm going with something like this at first: https://www.babytrend.com/nursery_centers_deluxe/PY66A06F.html (pack n play with twin bassinets), but after they are too big for that, I would really like my husband to be able to help with the babies.

Not sure I'm cool with all of the bedtime/naps for twins b/c he can't reach into the cribs
    Can he reach down? I'm not sure how limited his mobility is. Some people never use cribs...they put a boxspring and mattress on the floor with a rail once they start flipping. You could get a double and they could share it a forever ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @direwolfmini So as creepy as this sounds, I was thinking about you in the shower (lol) and I had two more thoughts:

1. Older cribs have a spring release front mechanism where the front side slides down. These are no longer sold but you might be able to rummage one or two up at sales or from relatives. 

2. Maybe buy a crib that converts to a toddler bed and leave the front off. Adjust the height to wherever is comfortable for DH and put a rail on the front. (note: of be super nervous about one of the little's getting wedged in the gap between the rail and mattress, so it only do it if confient I could wedge that gap with something like a pool noodle. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina you've given me a lot to think about. I considered an older crib, but I'm concerned that perhaps that isn't the safest route. 

My husband can bend down ok when standing,  but needs to use at least one arm for support, that's why he would do any baby things from a wheelchair.