2nd Trimester

Ways to not go past your due date?

I know there are things you can try once you're past your due date to "help" induce labor. Such as sex, walking, etc. I'm curious if there are things you can do throughout pregnancy that may help ensure you don't go past your due date and go into labor naturally? If that makes sense. Like regular exercise, or the exercise balls, etc.? I tried googling it but everything just kept coming up for once you're past your due date. I just want to know if there is something I can be doing to prepare my body throughout pregnancy?

Re: Ways to not go past your due date?

• I know there are things you can try once you're past your due date to "help" induce labor. Such as sex, walking, etc. I'm curious if there are things you can do throughout pregnancy that may help ensure you don't go past your due date and go into labor naturally? If that makes sense. Like regular exercise, or the exercise balls, etc.? I tried googling it but everything just kept coming up for once you're past your due date. I just want to know if there is something I can be doing to prepare my body throughout pregnancy?
    I mean your due date isn't an exact date.  It's an estimate and anything from 39 weeks to 41 weeks is kind of fair game. Obviously maintaining your regular exercise and habits throughout your pregnancy can help you with labor but pregnancy and labor aren't really things you can make
    happen at the exact moment you want or exact way you want. 

• Thanks for your reply ladies. I know labor and parenting are not definite, I was just curious if there were any specific ways to best prep your body. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope! Baby will come when baby is ready. Especially if this is your first. Most first time babies go beyond your due date. 
  • JessWeck said:
    Nope! Baby will come when baby is ready. Especially if this is your first. Most first time babies go beyond your due date. 
    I agree with "baby will come when baby is ready", however, saying most first time babies come late is no longer accurate. It's about 50/50. Just As an example, about half my bmb came early, myself included.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well I was the other half of the 50/50 and had to be induced and I tried everything.  so it is mainly old wives tales good luck to you though 
  • Nothing you can do to not go past your due date, but regular exercise and continuing your kegels especially will help to "prep" your body and help with labor.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Agreed with everyone else.  Also, none of the things you listed will do anything unless your body is ready.  I tried it all leading up to my EDD and none of it worked until DD was ready to come out.  
  • xoxobrooke09xoxobrooke09 member
    edited August 2016
  • Thank you everyone for your answers. I wasn't asking this question for selfish reasons, I'm not wanting the baby to be born according to "my schedule" and I have no problem being pregnant longer than 40 weeks. I only ask because I would like to avoid being induced (unless medically necessary of course). I just know a lot of hospitals/doctors will "push" induction and I have read about a lot of risks that can go along with induction. Because of this I was just trying to make sure I was doing everything I can to prepare my body to do what it needs to do. I want a healthy baby just like everyone else. 
  • Something else to keep in mind is just because a doctor pushes induction doesn't mean you have to agree to it, if that's what you're worried about.  You can ask questions and make your own decision. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Kurtni said:
    Something else to keep in mind is just because a doctor pushes induction doesn't mean you have to agree to it, if that's what you're worried about.  You can ask questions and make your own decision. 
    This. My bp spiked and there was talk of induction. My doctor laid out three choices for me and let me pick (nothing for the time being except bp meds, ripening gel, pitocin). I choose the gel with the option of pitocin if necessary (it wasn't). He said the gel kick starts labour about 50% of the time. I fit into that category.

Now, I was hospitalized and a scared mess. My mom was with me and DH was stuck out of town in a flyin community for work (he was able to be back in time). All I wanted was DH there and didn't want to decide anything on my own. I told my doctor I would do whatever he recommended, but he made it very clear that it was up to me and outlined pros and cons of everything.
  • Your doctor could also suggest inducing well before your due date if there is an issue with baby's or your health. Inductions aren't always just because doctors are impatient. There are perfectly good reasons for them.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Even when you're overdue there's not always anything you can do to coax the baby out. I was 1w6d overdue with DS and finally induced.

So, I'd say a scheduled C-section is the only way to not go past your due date, but I don't think that's what you have in mind!