September 2016 Moms

Quick questions August

Re: Quick questions August

• 1. Has anyone/will anyone be getting the flu shot? If so, when?
    2. Are there any big no-nos as far as food/drink goes during breastfeeding (alcohol aside)?

TIA!
  • 1. I forgot about the flu shot.. last pregnancy I got it in September and was due in December.. not sure if I'll squeeze it in before birth this time, but will most likely try!

2. None that I can think of (If you have concerns about supply you might want to look into what foods can decrease supply... peppermint and basil come to mind). Other than that you'll also want to see what babe has sensitivities to.. some babies show no sign of discomfort regardless of what you eat.. E had reflux and it seemed to be worse on days after I had eaten really spicy foods.. no idea if that was legit or just coincidental.  It's good for babe's to get a variety of flavors through your milk while you eat lots of different foods.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • jhems776jhems776 member
    edited August 2016
    C-section question.  I know I have a better chance of baby flipping, but if he doesn't by 36 weeks my doc wants to schedule the c-section.  She suggested the actual due date... I thought it would/should be sooner than that. She did say that in the practice she does Mondays, um is that a good enough reason.  I was thinking of either suggesting week 39 on the dot or Friday before my Monday due date.
  • @Sbrown721 FTM here so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I will be getting a flu shot but I'm not sure when. I'll make sure to ask about this at my next appointment! 

At my breastfeeding class last night they told us that there are no general food restrictions for BFing, and that it's good for baby to experience lots of different tastes, etc.. And that they've already tasted it all before in the amniotic fluid anyway. 

Again, I know nothing! Just what I was told. 
  • @Sbrown721 no restrictions for most babies besides medications!

@jhems776 Inthink in an otherwise healthy pregnancy, they usually do the due date or after!
  • @jhems776 My scheduled CS for DD (bc of breech) was a couple of days after my due date. Babies can flip around on their own up until the very end. I will say I'm looking forward to a Monday CS this time around because the hospital is fully staffed during the week (I think there are fewer LCs on duty on the weekend). And we'll go home on Weds or Thurs, which means a couple more weekdays of being able to see folks when we get out (pediatrician and potentially an LC). We had to go to ped on a Saturday after DD was born for our day after release visit, and there were only sick kids there, it was terrible. 
  • ashtasht member
    jhems776 said:
    C-section question.  I know I have a better chance of baby flipping, but if he doesn't by 36 weeks my doc wants to schedule the c-section.  She suggested the actual due date... I thought it would/should be sooner than that. She did say that in the practice she does Mondays, um is that a good enough reason.  I was thinking of either suggesting week 39 on the dot or Friday before my Monday due date.
    Are you a FTM? That might be part of it. Some places and insurances have policy's on having to wait until a certain time. There really isn't a big deal on time. If you go into labor that just becomes your new csection date
  • steministsteminist member
    edited August 2016
    Also, I know my doctor only has OR scheduling privileges one day of the week (Tuesday, for me). In an emergency/unplanned c-section I assume they would just bump the regular doctor until after, but they are only allowed to schedule surgery on their assigned day.

Eta: although, that only is related to wanting the Friday. As Asht said, having a scheduled date doesn't mean they'll stop you if you go sooner!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sbrown721 said:
    1. Has anyone/will anyone be getting the flu shot? If so, when?
    2. Are there any big no-nos as far as food/drink goes during breastfeeding (alcohol aside)?

TIA!
    1. Yes. DH and I will get it after the baby is born and as soon as it's available around me. DD will get it in September at her 2 year appointment. Since baby can't get the vaccine this year, it's important to me that the rest of us have it to protect her as much as possible. We did the same for DD1.

2. Everyone else has answered this already, but unless your baby has an adverse reaction or allergy to something, nothing is really off the table.

• Sbrown721 said:

TIA!
    1. Yes. DH and I will get it after the baby is born and as soon as it's available around me. DD will get it in September at her 2 year appointment. Since baby can't get the vaccine this year, it's important to me that the rest of us have it to protect her as much as possible. We did the same for DD1.

2. Everyone else has answered this already, but unless your baby has an adverse reaction or allergy to something, nothing is really off the table.
    You probably have reasons to wait, but if you get it while you're pregnant, Layla will get antibodies from the vaccine!
  • Sbrown721 said:

TIA!
    @Sbrown721 1.) I am required to get the flu shot as per the health authority I work for as a nurse. If I don't, I have to wear a mask in all patient-contact areas, which ick, no. I have to get mine before December, but they don't really start offering them until at least September/October where I live, so I'll get one then. 
    2.) I was told to avoid a lot of citrus by some friends, but I can't find any research studies that prove it's harmful or somehow impacts breastfeeding in a negative way. There's so much crap on Pinterest and blogs about what you should and shouldn't eat while breastfeeding, but there's virtually nothing out there backing it up scientifically. My nurse brain won't let me believe something at face value.
  • @Sbrown721 Yes, my whole family (minus the newborn) will be getting a flu shot as soon as it's available. Our babies will be able to get them at 6 months old, and depending on how the season plays out, they may or may not be available. (LO1 was born in August and got hers in February without a problem)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I didn't think this deserves it's own thread but it's been on my mind for a while. 

**TW**

Does anyone have anxiety because of someone else's loss?
    Like when my friend gave birth at 23 weeks, I was nervous that I would too.
    and also someone I worked with last year,  his girlfriend had a stillborn baby at 36 weeks.
    So I've been holding my breath until i passed that mark too and now that I have it just makes me sadder for her.
    I'm so nervous that something could go wrong and I'm just thankful that I have a super active baby that reassures me that everything is okay.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Megan324 yes...I've read a few things online and I do have some worries that something could still go wrong. I don't know why, but it's been on my mind the past few days. I'm trying not to be worried, but I had no idea some of the complications can happen at this stage. Scary. And sad. :(
  • @rock1cherry you just hear so much of "once you're past 12 weeks you're in the clear"
    And then you find  out that it's not entirely true.
    I just can't wait until he is out so I'll know he is okay,  and then have a million new things to worry about :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know, I suppose the worry won't ever go away @Megan324 but I will have a huge sigh of relief when she's in my arms. :)
  • @noelani42 for me it's not a constant worry, I won't think about it for weeks but it's like it's always in the back of my mind.

actually it was way worse before I could feel him move, I used to always have a spilt second thought "oh god they won't find a heart beat" right when the OB would put the doppler on me or the tech would start the ultrasound. I don't even know why
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Same @Megan324 I haven't had an ultrasound since like week 20 so for some time I had no idea if she was ok between dr appointments. Now I can feel her constantly so I know she's ok. 
  • @Megan324 a friend of mine's sister had a baby who died within days of being born because she had a condition that should have been recognized in utero but was not. Had the doctors expected the condition, it could have been treated right away and instead it was ignored. It was a totally preventable death. Huge tragedy. Lawsuits. Big mess.

This is very, very, very rare. I wouldn't say It gives me anxiety, but it is the reason I'm choosing to not have my tubes tied during a csection.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @KimmySchmidt that's so so sad. There is nothing worse than preventable deaths....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @KimmySchmidt Ditto on logic for not having tubes tied during this CS. I haven't actually expressed it that way to my H, it's hard to even acknowledge this kind of concern. 
  • Sbrown721 said:

TIA!

You probably have reasons to wait, but if you get it while you're pregnant, Layla will get antibodies from the vaccine!
    My only reason for waiting is that I don't think it'll be available here before she's born! I should have mentioned that. :smile:

• That is so awful @KimmySchmidt so tragic. I cannot imagine. And it's stories like that that scare me a bit. I know the odds are low, but knowing it's a possibility is so scary!
  • @Megan324 Yes, hearing stories about other people's loss worries me. In my experience, it never goes away. Not in the sense that it's a constant worry, but that reading about the loss of a child still provokes anxiety regarding McKenna. I think it's just part of being a mom. I do my best to try to stay grateful and give McKenna a big hug or spend time just enjoying feeling Layla move when it happens. It helps ease the anxiety some. 

• **TW**

Similar to KimmySchmidt, my last BMB one of the members we were all particularly close to had a very long labor that she "Live Bumped" during, and unfortunately her daughter passed away with 24 hours of being born due to an unknown heart condition.  It all happened before I went into labor and once I passed my due date I just wanted to have my baby so badly so I could know he was ok. I still have a very hard time thinking about the what if's if I let my brain go there.

BUT - She's an extremely strong mama to her angel baby and last I knew they were trying for their Rainbow Baby now, something that's hard for me to comprehend being strong enough to do.

I think it's normal to have some fears along the way and right after. If the anxiety does start to consume your life (losing a lot of sleep, not eating, feeling lost all the time) it's time to at least tell a doctor/therapist and see if it's something more than the expected mama anxiety :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • TW

I also share these fears as a girl in my office lost her baby in June at 36 weeks due to PKD. Her baby girl died within a few hours of birth. Also my colleague who I work with daily, he and his wife had a still born at 40 weeks earlier this year. He has not been open as to why or what happened but he's been very supportive of me and is a huge supporter of my health and baby always coming before work. 

All this to say I think it is normal to worry about all the possible things that could happen but to remind yourself that these occurrences are (thankfully) the minority. 
  • Where is Dermoplast sold? Can't seem to find it. And doesn't it come in 2 varieties? Blue and red maybe? Which is the one to go with?
  • Cricket BugCricket Bug member
    edited August 2016
    How long is everyone's drive to the hospital? My emergency child care person is being flaky, so we are initiating plan B. With plan B people, it will take about 1.5 hours from the time of me calling someone, to the time I walk into the hospital. I asked my midwife yesterday, and she said that we should probably arrange a home visit just in case I end up with an unplanned home birth. I'm kind of freaking out. Not about the potential home birth, I would love that, however one of my dogs (hugely protective) would not. Midwives are friends not food.

Edited for clarity. 
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • @Sbrown721 looks like Walgreens and Walmart and possibly even Target sell it. I only did a quick Google search but I was curious as well. I think you want the blue one but I'm not certain - it's the pain relieving one. The red is antibacterial. 

@cricket bug my drive is about 30 minutes and possibly longer depending on traffic. Hoping I won't be too far along when we need to make the drive. Otherwise it could be super uncomfortable and feel like a 4 hour drive. Haha
  • RG1RG1 member
    @Cricket Bug My drive is about 50 minutes, probably closer to an hour once we get parked.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @RG1 That makes me feel better! Your care provider is comfortable with it too?
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • RG1RG1 member
    @RG1 That makes me feel better! Your care provider is comfortable with it too?
    Yes but they told me to come before the contractions are 5 mins apart. Like even if they're 10 mins apart to head in. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • How long is everyone's drive to the hospital? My emergency child care person is being flaky, so we are initiating plan B. With plan B people, it will take about 1.5 hours from the time of me calling someone, to the time I walk into the hospital. I asked my midwife yesterday, and she said that we should probably arrange a home visit just in case I end up with an unplanned home birth. I'm kind of freaking out. Not about the potential home birth, I would love that, however one of my dogs (hugely protective) would not. Midwives are friends not food.

Edited for clarity. 

Is there a concern that your labor will go quickly? I would expect 1.5 hours would be plenty of time for any "normal" labor. I'm assuming your midwife has instructed you on not going to the hospital until 4-1-1 so hopefully you have time to call your childcare before you get to that point. (FTR, my last labor was only about eight hours from start to baby and even my OB is fine with me laboring at home until 4-1-1.)
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Cricket Bug I'm supposed to come in at 6-8 minutes apart only because the OB wants to monitor baby due to nuchal cord. Hospital is about 30 minutes away so we'll probably leave when they're 8 apart and walk around the hospital to make time and labor if they don't admit me. 
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Any BTDT moms have experience with laboring in a tub and/or water birth??
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• @AmMcc12 FTM, but I'll be doing a water birth  :)