October 2016 Moms

FaceBook Group Created

124»

Re: FaceBook Group Created

• I was July 14 so this was all around the same time. My concern isn't so much that'll I'll lose my common sense and start giving away money to Internet strangers. My concern is someone stealing my pictures, my story and whatever else they're looking to get out of being a catfish on a baby board. Who knows why these people do the things they do or who they really are. I watch lifetime movies people! Lol I don't want some crazy tracking me down and stealing my baby. That's probably a little out there but it could happen. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @kelliott09, that scares me!  what you just said.... because I have no built-in stranger danger...and with all the catfish stories, it makes me scared now to have all my info out there.  It's hard for me to believe/understand that people out there do shit like this.  
  • Loading the player...
  • @annebenanna I would totally donate if I didn't need the money for my own mommy makeover.  :D

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• @annabenanna I would've never thought it either until witnessing it. Not the kidnapping part though, lol. And I watch Catfish. It is ridiculously easy to find someone online with limited information. It is scary, for sure. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I actually went back to my old bmb and looked up posts from the catfish there. I was wrong, it was months after our babies were born when she was caught because I remember seeing pictures of her "newborn." She had pictures of him with his cousins. Who knows who these kids actually belonged to. And I noticed she started a lot of "just for fun" type threads which were basically gathering tiny bits of info about people, a little at a time. Way creepy. Definitely glad I was mostly a lurker then and probably why I'm so reserved here. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @krzyriver I sent you a PM. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The donation thing seems obvious, but when you've been in an fb group with others for a year, and something bad happens to a member, it's natural to want to donate. We all learned that complete transparency is needed for whoever is collecting and I would hope that after over three years in the group we are good now. Although you never really know. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @TheBeeCharmer wow! That sounds super scary and intense. I would have had a very difficult time trusting after that. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We established a "care fund" and it's still in effect years later. I think our only drama was the BMB that had the girl steal the donations for a donation in care of a loss mom and she used them to buy a glider her MIL wouldn't buy her. A former member of our BMB apparently located her husband and told him about it? I'm not entirely sure of the details, but she was BSC.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • @ignoscemihi just a friendly reminder that TB is actually a little more public than FB in that anyone online can google search it and see posts...just in case your hubs might go searching for some reason and be unhappy with what's said on here ;)

Agreed! I am more hesitant to share details here because the world can see. I was in a FB group before and felt more comfortable because it was a level playing field - they could see my information, but I could also see the information of everyone who was in the group. With TB, you never know who's lurking. 

BUT I'm not going to make an ordeal to get in. I'll just try to be more active here because I like when I can offer advice as a STM - gives me a refresher in pregnancy/labor/newborn days, and gives me a little more confidence that I won't totally screw up this kid. ;) 
  • @UponAStar16 My husband does tend to snoop a little, but I would never post anything terrible about him here because he's pretty great (aren't you, Honey?).  It's more that I don't think he'd want me sharing details about our life (or venting about him) on a forum where I'm using our real names.  I'm not as worried about TB because my username isn't one I use that often, so there isn't a strong connection between this username and my actual name.  You would have to know a lot about me to know to search for me in the first place.  I do try to be careful, though.  I'm not going to post my social security number or address or anything.  If you want my credit card number, though... :smiley:
  • I'm with @kelliott09 --I'm not worried about falling for a scam myself, I'm more worried about catfish/crazies knowing who I am and taking my pictures.  
  • It's funny that hubby's wanna know what we're saying.  Half the time mine walks by me and see's his name on a text message, or "hubby" on a post, and he's all "What are you bitching about now??" and then I bitch at him lol  Funny thing is, he doesn't care, unless I'm calling him useless - that seems to be the line.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I never even thought of catfishing on a mommy board , how effin' weird. Btw , does BSC = bat shit crazy ?
  • I never even thought of catfishing on a mommy board , how effin' weird. Btw , does BSC = bat shit crazy ?
    Yes. 
  • @krzyriver you have a PM

We had some weird stuff and fakes on my June '14 BMB and just over 100 people made the jump to FB. We still have 90-some and have a care fund that we donate to and send sunshine gifts to people who need some and new baby gifts etc. But, because we knew each other so long before all that was set up, it wasn't weird. Plus we have meet ups locally and aside from a few out of the US mommas, almost everyone has met someone in person.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I haven't been super active the last few months, so right now I'm not going to send in a request because I'm pretty sure I won't fit the reg status (no bitterness, just the facts). I'm hoping that once move/school/work insanity FINALLY finishes up in the next month or so I can start being much more active on TB and then hopefully work up the courage to see if I quality :) That said - is there going to be a hard and fast cut off date for sending in requests like suggested earlier in the thread?

Facebook mobile is also way more user friendly than TB mobile, so it'll be so much easier to participate and keep up on that platform. TB also started sneaking in ads again on my phone, so its even more annoying than it was before (thanks Bump)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I haven't been on in a week or 2 really even lurking so I'm not sure I'm "active enough" to join the Facebook group! But sending a PM anyway!  :#
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just FYI for anyone PMing me this weekend - tomorrow is my shower, so I am probably going to be sporadic in responding, especially if I'm just on my phone (like now), so please be patient.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @krzyriver 
    @LauraPCOS 

Can you please add me? I sent you a both a PM.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @divallyn have you participated much here? 
  • DivallynDivallyn member
    edited October 2016
    I'm definitely not a daily poster as the bump gives me hard time trying to post on my ipad but I have been reading since I got my bfp in February and I do post when I am on my desktop. 

Not or a troll or anything just second time Canadian mom looking for (and to offer) support as we raise these October babies. Facebook is a lot easier for me to access so I was excited when I saw there was a group. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml