March 2017 Moms

Sneak Peek?

Anyone else going to purchase the DNA genetic gender test "Sneak Peek"?
WE DID. I have some friends who used the test and it was correct. After checking it out and reading reviews, I was totally down. We wanted to know the gender ASAP so that we can call baby their name.

Turns out..... BOY!

The claim is that it's 99% accurate, so there is a chance that my blood sample somehow became contaminated to include male DNA, but until the US proves it wrong, we're going with it! Just wondering whether anyone else wants to fess up to using/being interested in it!

Re: Sneak Peek?

• @hippiemama That's a great idea!! We have told our parents and siblings about the gender, but we plan to announce the baby to the world in two weeks when we make a trip to Colorado Springs for the 1 year anniversary of my husband proposing at Pike's Peak :)

• Loading the player...
  • I have heard of it, there were a few ladies in another group that I am in that did the test and got their results of course we don't know yet how accurate it is/was. I am going to do the genetic testing next week at my maternal-fetal medicine appt, and so of course that will be our way to find out gender before the anatomy scan. 

• I didn't know they had an at home version of these tests and that can tell you at 9 weeks. That's pretty cool. How do you take the test at home? Obviously it's not a blood test?
  • Honestly the only reason I won't do this is because of $$$. Otherwise I would be the first person to take that test! 

But last week I calculated the cost of baby and it has me a tiny little bit overwhelmed! 
  • @DaniBanani16 The last thing you need right now is stress! Have faith that everything always works out, because it always does!!

We were interested in the MaterniT21 test to find out the gender. Really, the results of the genetic disorders testing isn't something that we are interested in knowing- we are having the baby regardless and if I knew in advance that something was wrong, the rest of this pregnancy would be very unhealthy for me mentally. I called to find out the cost of this test with our insurance (federal employee ins) and they said $250-$300!! This was way more reasonable ($79 and includes all of the shipping costs) for what we were actually looking for.

• Never heard of it but I'm doing it now 
  • First of all, congrats @Bradleerick ! How exciting to know already! Secondly, thank you for mentioning this. I had no idea about this!!! I so badly want to do it but it seems that it is not available in Canada!
  • AverageAshAverageAsh member
    edited August 2016
    Umm that's cheaper than the ultrasound at the boutique!
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • mmmm im doing the genetic blood test this week..... since they are identical doc said they should also be able to tell us the genders

SaveSave
  • This is so cool! I'd never heard of it... but I'm already in the process of trying to talk H into it. Score.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • What! I had no idea this was a thing.  I'm buying it! Thanks for sharing!

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is really throwing a wrench in my whole plan.
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • I've done a lot of research and they say if your squeamish with blood or needles to avoid this. Its a pretty large sample (there are pictures in the Amazon review comments). You can watch a few youtube videos of people doing it.

I am really squeamish with blood so I won't be participating. I don't think I would trust the results anyways (cause that's the person I am) and would want the ultrasound to confirm. It is cool though if your dying to know.

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is really throwing a wrench in my whole plan.
    I'm so sorry, @AverageAsh! :#

• I've done a lot of research and they say if your squeamish with blood or needles to avoid this. Its a pretty large sample (there are pictures in the Amazon review comments). You can watch a few youtube videos of people doing it.

I am really squeamish with blood so I won't be participating. I don't think I would trust the results anyways (cause that's the person I am) and would want the ultrasound to confirm. It is cool though if your dying to know.

I read those reviews too and was nervous because I've accidentally cut my finger chopping onions once and was found in the fetal position on the kitchen floor! If you won't trust it, I wouldn't pay the $ for it, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as what some of the reviewers say.

Plus, I was so proud of myself afterwards!! Like, hell yes I did this!.. and I am tough because I can prick my finger and collect a blood sample! haha

• I had no idea you could do a test that early! I'm definitely buying it! Thanks @Bradleerick! How far along were you when you sent in the blood sample? 

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• Congratulations @Bradleerick !!!

Not gonna lie...this is pretty tempting EVEN THOUGH I think I'm squeamish with collecting my own blood sample (never done it, or had any serious injury!) and EVEN THOUGH I should have the results of my NIPT in a week and a half.  72 hours? >:)
    Me: 36  DH: 35.
    Married: 8/2005.
    BFP: 6/22/2016 EDD: 3/4/2017.
  • @SienaC I was 9w+3 days when I collected the sample and sent it the next AM.
    @peony2418 Thank you!! Ah! I'm sending prayers for patience your way! You can do it! o:)

• I had no idea this existed! That's really cool. Congrats to you. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about this because I am the least patient person in the world and plan to order this after I get paid tomorrow!
    DH: 29
    Me: 27
    Married 9/20/14 
    BFP: 7/3/16
    EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

• How much blood we talkin? Finger prick to paper, or prick and squeeze it out for awhile into a test tube? I don't know if I could handle the latter. 
  • @bubbybear15 Prick and squeeze! I didn't think I could do it either, but it wasn't bad. I looked at the little vial and was like, "That's not much blood!" Then I was squeezing and squeezing. It probably took 5 minutes maybe.

• I thought about getting this, but the reviews seemed to say it wasn't very accurate. Plenty of people got opposites from what the test said. They promise your money back if they're wrong, but you have to wait till you can send them your baby's birth certificate. Just seems like more hassle than it's worth
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just FYI for everyone, there's a class action lawsuit against this company alleging that the results are actually only 60% accurate. Here's a brief overview: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/330699-sneakpeek-class-action-challenges-accuracy-of-early-gender-test/

It seems like a lot of people on Amazon had good experiences, but the lawsuit made me question it enough that I decided to hold off until the boutique gender scan I have booked at 13w. No knock on those ladies who have ordered it--the impatience is driving me mad--but wanted to share the info. 
    Me: 30, mild DOR
    Him: 31, totes fine.
    IUI #1: 5 follicles, cycle cancelled :-/
    IUI #2: 1 follicle, BFP, chemical
    IVF #1: 12 follicles, 9 eggs, 1 fresh 5dt and 4 on ice. BFP, beta #1: 326, beta #2: 841 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @UnicornsPlease your boutique does a gender scan at 13 weeks?!  The earliest I've ever found was 15 weeks.

• @hippiemama my ultrasound boutique does it at 14 wks. I went at 14 wks with my last child and they were correct. 
  • @hippiemama I know, it surprised me to find one that does it at 13 weeks also. I'm located in the DC area and most of the ones around here are 15 weeks, but there's a husband/wife doc/ultrasound tech duo that will do them from 13w onward. Fingers crossed the little nugget feels like posing that day.
    Me: 30, mild DOR
    Him: 31, totes fine.
    IUI #1: 5 follicles, cycle cancelled :-/
    IUI #2: 1 follicle, BFP, chemical
    IVF #1: 12 follicles, 9 eggs, 1 fresh 5dt and 4 on ice. BFP, beta #1: 326, beta #2: 841 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It seems to me like a lot of the more recent reviews have been positive... also it seems like if you even have any kind of risk of contamination from a male it would throw off your results. I dunno. Hubs isn't convinced buuut I'll probably buy it anyway.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Lurking from April...

You can find out the sex through non-invasive prenatal screening (NIPs) between 10-12 weeks. The one my Dr. does (Harmony) apparently costs $100 if your insurance won't cover it (also screens for Down's and two other trisomy disorders, but is not a diagnostic). 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Also, what if Sneak Peek is just banking DNA info for The Man?? #tinfoilhat
    Hahaha you are so my people  :D Dying.
  • catem07 said:
    Lurking from April...

You can find out the sex through non-invasive prenatal screening (NIPs) between 10-12 weeks. The one my Dr. does (Harmony) apparently costs $100 if your insurance won't cover it (also screens for Down's and two other trisomy disorders, but is not a diagnostic). 
    I have NEVER seen the Harmony test go for $100 w/o insurance. It's usually closer to $1,000
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • catem07catem07 member
    edited August 2016
    @AverageAsh Hmm my doctor quoted me $100 so I'll have to double check before I actually do it. Maybe she meant my insurance wouldn't cover it 100%. Thanks. 

DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @catem07 totally worth checking into. That thing is mega expensive and would be a sad bill to receive 
    Married DH 12/31/13
  • @catem07- The Harmony test would cost me $950 if I opted to do it.  Definitely worth double checking the cost
  • catem07 said:
    Lurking from April...

I have NEVER seen the Harmony test go for $100 w/o insurance. It's usually closer to $1,000
    When I had it done last pregnancy because insurance didn't cover it the lab that processed it had a flat rate that we paid. I want to say it was $50 but it may have been $100.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • meq124 said:
    catem07 said:
    Lurking from April...

When I had it done last pregnancy because insurance didn't cover it the lab that processed it had a flat rate that we paid. I want to say it was $50 but it may have been $100.
    My doc told me yesterday that the lab would charge a flat fee of $100 if insurance didn't cover. He said that I might get some huge bill, but it would be followed up with a corrected version.  The nurse told me to call and double check, JIC, but I'm assuming my doctor's office (and others) must have some kind of agreement with the testing providers, possibly a kick-back type deal. I have to go to the specific lab he ordered, which is why I assume this. Idk, though?