February 2017 Moms

Names

Re: Names

• I think we are going with Josie or Julian 
  • Loading the player...
  • DH and I made an agreement a few years ago.  He's dead set on a boy name, whereas I didn't like it quite as much.  But he has little opinions on girls names, and I have lots of opinions. 

Therefore, a boy will be Jack and a girl will be Emily (but called Emma) or Charlotte.  

I know Emily, Emma and Charlotte are all super popular right now but IDGAF.  I like those names and I'm sticking with it.  

My SIL is pregnant right now.  While we don't want to reveal the names before the birth (like others have said, I have no desire to hear other's thoughts), I'm terrified they are going to take our names.  Their first child is named what I wanted for a girl's name before (but DH hated so I knew it was never going to happen) and their second child is the only girl's name my husband really wanted.  All of that was a coincidence; we hadn't shared name thoughts with them.  

When we saw them last week, we told them we had names and if they happened to pick the same name, we are just going to have cousins with the same name.  But we might end up telling them if they promise to tell no one just to ensure that doesn't happen.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • @Tennis11785 my sister is due in about 6 weeks and I won't tell her our names, just because I don't want her to steal one lol... she actually found out she's having a boy, and she is set on naming him after our deceased grandpa. I'm more concerned now that if we end up having a boy my H won't want to use the name I like because both my sister's will be using the name as their sons middle name. Sigh
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH and I made an agreement a few years ago.  He's dead set on a boy name, whereas I didn't like it quite as much.  But he has little opinions on girls names, and I have lots of opinions. 

Therefore, a boy will be Jack and a girl will be Emily (but called Emma) or Charlotte.  

I know Emily, Emma and Charlotte are all super popular right now but IDGAF.  I like those names and I'm sticking with it.  

My SIL is pregnant right now.  While we don't want to reveal the names before the birth (like others have said, I have no desire to hear other's thoughts), I'm terrified they are going to take our names.  Their first child is named what I wanted for a girl's name before (but DH hated so I knew it was never going to happen) and their second child is the only girl's name my husband really wanted.  All of that was a coincidence; we hadn't shared name thoughts with them.  

When we saw them last week, we told them we had names and if they happened to pick the same name, we are just going to have cousins with the same name.  But we might end up telling them if they promise to tell no one just to ensure that doesn't happen.  
    We finalized names this weekend, and we went with Jack as well for a boy. It's the only boy name my husband would entertain. I thought I had him talked out of it because I told him the middle name would be Daniel after him and he is still on board. Since we rarely use our other son's middle name, I don't see it really being an issue till he's older when his friends find out. I don't think he will be traumatized for it. For a girl we finalized Abigail with a middle name pending.  

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • icedrop10 said:
    My DD's middle name Clara may or may not have been inspired by Dr. Who. Her first name is Evelyn. We're team green and having a hard time coming up with names this time around. 
    Bravo! We are actually considering Clara and Rose for first names. 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Unless something else magically happens to change my mind this guy will be Felix Gul. 

Gul means rose / flower in Farsi and Turkish and was H's grandpas middle name (I'm not naming a kid Mohammad so middle name it is) 
    @PerraSucia Thank God! I wasn't going to say anything on this board because I didn't think anyone would get the Farsi/Arabic/Urdu names. Gul is a beautiful name, as is Felix! 
    I have a couple names picked out for both sexes but I'm stuck on the middle names.  
    For boy: Aaban = angel (of iron, I think)
    Girl: Sakina = peace, tranquility
    Any ideas on middle names?.

• So far DH and I can only agree on boys names but we do know the middle name will be Robert after my dad.  On our short list for boys are:

Henry
    Jack
    William

Girls names have been harder.  There's a lot I like but DH says he only likes them okay and has no ideas for names other than Gabriella....which I think he only got in his head while I was watching RHONJ.  No thanks.  If it's a girl the middle name will be Elizabeth.  Some of the names I like are:

Haddie
    Eleanor
    Adeline or Adelaide 
    Elise
    Amelia
    Claire 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband isn't close with his extended family. I found out last night that his cousin's daughter's name is Abigail. I guess it is back to the drawing board for girl names. 

• AfKash said:
    Unless something else magically happens to change my mind this guy will be Felix Gul. 

Gul means rose / flower in Farsi and Turkish and was H's grandpas middle name (I'm not naming a kid Mohammad so middle name it is) 
    @PerraSucia Thank God! I wasn't going to say anything on this board because I didn't think anyone would get the Farsi/Arabic/Urdu names. Gul is a beautiful name, as is Felix! 
    I have a couple names picked out for both sexes but I'm stuck on the middle names.  
    For boy: Aaban = angel (of iron, I think)
    Girl: Sakina = peace, tranquility
    Any ideas on middle names?.
    @AfKash I'm TERRIBLE at boy names but I thin Sakina Aziza is pretty much perfect.  most of the cousins have american / french middle names they go by at school :P

• @PerraSucia Sakina Aziza sounds nice! I'll run that by hubby.

• @afkash are you Pakistani?
  • Years ago, DH said that if we ever had a son, he'd like to name him Doak (after Doak Walker).  I balked at the name, but as he referred to our hypothetical son repeatedly, it grew on me.  Sometime in the last year, I told him that I'd be good with the name and he replied that it had always been a joke.

We also have a hypothetical French bulldog named Rupert.

I get the feeling that names are going to be a very difficult topic for us.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The hubby and I decided years ago that we liked the name Archer for a boy.  This was before I knew there was a cartoon. MIL put a damper on it by suggesting that he might get teased because of his name. We are team green but that's the only boy name we like. Yay or Nay? 
  • @icedrop10 With any luck, by the time he's old enough for kids to consider where his name came from, that show would be a vague memory. If one of my friends was named after someone in Baywatch, I would never know :D
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Moonbeam828Moonbeam828 member
    edited August 2016
    Our daughter will be Charlotte (mn Marie or Rose, we haven't decided).  It's been my favorite name for 30 years, and my husband and I agreed on it as our girl name even before we decided on our son's name 6+ years ago.  In other words, I don't care if it's popular.  (Our son is William, which has been holding around the #5 spot on the SSA list for years now, so classic-yet-trendy names are apparently our thing, lol).

H and I are both teachers, so names are hard.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • peachesnbean - Sylvie it totally a real name! My SIL is named Sylvia - it's actually a fairly common French name.
  • My husband isn't close with his extended family. I found out last night that his cousin's daughter's name is Abigail. I guess it is back to the drawing board for girl names. 
    If they aren't close why not use the name anyway? It's not like a sibling has used the name, just a cousin he isn't close to.
  • blush64 said:
    My husband isn't close with his extended family. I found out last night that his cousin's daughter's name is Abigail. I guess it is back to the drawing board for girl names. 
    If they aren't close why not use the name anyway? It's not like a sibling has used the name, just a cousin he isn't close to.
    Because that would start drama with his aunt that just isn't worth the hassle. If Abigail was "the name" that I had to have then I think I'd risk the drama, but it wasn't one that I had to have.

• @bdesterhouse That's too bad. I have a few relatives like that too.
  • I would be flattered if someone used my kids name. 
  • @rachoochoo2I LOVE the name Eliza! Beautiful!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Tennis11785 one of my best friends is due with a baby in November. They aren't finding out if it's a boy or girl before giving birth. If it's a boy she's naming him after her husband but she is torn on girl names and wouldn't tell us her thoughts. When we were in college we had discussed girl names and both loved Kailey (which is currently our #1 girl name...) So I think very likely from a very dark, selfish, catty, hole in my heart, I informed her we would probably be naming our's Kailey if it is a girl so she knows ahead of time that if she names a girl that, we didn't steal it from her. I don''t really care thaaat much if we both have daughters with the same name, it was just more so I felt I had to ensure she knew I was thinking of the name and wasn't copying her. Yes, I know, super immature of me hahaha

We told my brother and sister in law that we loved the names Isabella, Gabriella, and Brielle when they were pregnant. They ended up using the name Gabriella and I love it for my niece, but I feel like since our family is super close, I can't name a daughter any of those names anymore :-( 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @TeacherMom2517 - I'm so nervous to share the names with them out of fear that they will "fall in love" with one and use it.  Especially since there is a history of us liking the same names.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • @TeacherMom2517 I don't think it's childish or awful to tell someone "this is a name we are probably using no matter who else uses it" It could save a lot of hassle later. I did the same with a name I used. I let my cousins know I am using this name and of they use it I think that's wonderful because it's a great name but I will still use it.
  • We discussed it over the weekend and we are leaning towards Natalie. 

My best friend and her cousin were pregnant at the same time and she told her cousin if it was a boy she was naming him Cash (I could be spelling it wrong) and her cousin told her two or three days before she was due to give birth that she was taking that name. I watched my best friends face turn bright red. I don't think I could ever do that to a family member. 

• Ah23Ah23 member
    I am in love with the classic names but worried with their popularity recently. 

For a boy- Harry, William, James

Girl- Charlotte, Elizabeth, Abigail, Violet 

Still not close to being set on any.. 
  • Be careful who you tell names too. My sister is due three weeks before me and has a ridiculously similar name. It's been a name we have lived for years.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Weirdly, I don't care if a boy name is really common. I only like uncommon/ different names for girls. 
  • @Tennis11785 one of my best friends is due with a baby in November. They aren't finding out if it's a boy or girl before giving birth. If it's a boy she's naming him after her husband but she is torn on girl names and wouldn't tell us her thoughts. When we were in college we had discussed girl names and both loved Kailey (which is currently our #1 girl name...) So I think very likely from a very dark, selfish, catty, hole in my heart, I informed her we would probably be naming our's Kailey if it is a girl so she knows ahead of time that if she names a girl that, we didn't steal it from her. I don''t really care thaaat much if we both have daughters with the same name, it was just more so I felt I had to ensure she knew I was thinking of the name and wasn't copying her. Yes, I know, super immature of me hahaha

We told my brother and sister in law that we loved the names Isabella, Gabriella, and Brielle when they were pregnant. They ended up using the name Gabriella and I love it for my niece, but I feel like since our family is super close, I can't name a daughter any of those names anymore :-( 
    I think it was smart to tell her and I understand where you're coming from in wanting to make it known. I picked the name Brielle for my little girl because I thought it was pretty and we call her Bri for short. I don't think that name is too close to Gabriella. If it was Gabrielle, yeah lol 
  • Weirdly, I don't care if a boy name is really common. I only like uncommon/ different names for girls. 
    Name nerd lurker.

That is a common feeling

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/news/a58334/more-baby-girl-names-unique/

I can't find a more academic source at the moment, but there's also a belief this has an undercurrent of sexism to it, the idea that a girl needs "help" to stand out whereas a boy can make a common name their own. Names and naming trends are extremely complex.
    I think there are just fewer names that are traditional but not "uniqike" for boys at this point.   I think so many of our ancestors just continued the " well if it's a boy, we shall name him John" just like his father, grandfather and everyone else trend, while there was more flexibility with girls since they didn't carry on family names.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We just started talking about names.

Right now I like Theodore (Theo), Leopold (Leo), Oliver and Eli for a boy. Emily, Emmy and Hazel for a girl. My husband doesn't like any of the boy names, but doesn't have any other suggestions. He likes all the girl names lol. 

We're not going to be set on a name until we see baby though. We were team green for DS1, but his name was the only one on your boy list. DS2 left the hospital without a name and we named him a few days later since we couldn't agree on a name. The name we picked wasn't even one we had on our list!
  • I have a lot of girl names on my list I like. So for that reason I'm kind of hoping its a girl. Lol.

I like:
    Hannah Jane
    Claire Madelyn
    adelaide grace
    norah faith 
    Alexis kate
    middle names are more just like things I put with them, not definite but ones I liked together. 

Boy names all I've got so far that my husband and I kind of agree on
    joshua
    matthew
    owen
    henry

I already have an Ethan Samuel and a Chloe Elizabeth
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • lct2008 said:
    I have a lot of girl names on my list I like. So for that reason I'm kind of hoping its a girl. Lol.

I like:
    Hannah Jane
    Claire Madelyn
    adelaide grace
    norah faith 
    Alexis kate
    middle names are more just like things I put with them, not definite but ones I liked together. 

Boy names all I've got so far that my husband and I kind of agree on
    joshua
    matthew
    owen
    henry

I already have an Ethan Samuel and a Chloe Elizabeth
    I love love love the name Adelaide, my husband knows this too and this weekend he went over the absolutely not happening names and he said no, Adelaide, Gateroade or any aid type name that I could come up with. I wanted to punch him in the nose for making fun of such a gorgeous name. 

• @BumpasaurusRex
    Pearl is my jam! If only husband would get on board.... I love old lady names. 
  • @BumpasaurusRex - Love old lady names! I could get down with any of those, except Pearl, mostly because I don't care for 1 syllable names. Right now Sable is #2 on my list, behind Circe. But DH says its too old lady.

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @peachesnbean I love Sable!  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker