March 2017 Moms

This app....

Does anyone else hate it?

I have NO CLUE how you second time moms got connected with other moms using this app?!?!?

I used Tb with my son and I definitely got some invaluable support for the Two questions I posted but aside from that nothing...

I don't know how the usability could be improved but I know it can be... so I guess this is just a vent.

Re: This app....

• And I should note while I only posted two questions I tried to be active in my last group. Answers questions I had input for etc. 
  • Lastly I will add.. I have a draft email I'm sending to the developers. While this was a vent I'm not a fan of venting without communicating potential solutions. So.. anything to add?
  • Loading the player...
  • I only use the app. I have no problems. 
  • I have met some of my best friends on the app. No complaints here.
    Married DH 12/31/13
    BFP#1  1/21/14 ended in loss DNC 3/5/14
    BFP#2  7/2014 Baby Girl born 4/15/15
    BFP#3  2/10/2016 natural mc 2/27/2016
    BFP#4 6/25/2016 Due 3/2/2017
  • No app complaints here. I find it much easier than going through the browser window on my phone.
  • I hate the app. It kept crashing. I deleted it and just use the browser. 
  • mtmama2mtmama2 member
    edited July 2016
    My app crashes All. The. Time. It is incredibly frustrating but I don't have a laptop at home to use. Every time it crashes I send a "report" and I've never heard anything back.

ETA: I have an Android phone so maybe that has something to do with it?

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• Might be. I have an iPhone and haven't had the crashing problem. 

• Might be. I have an iPhone and haven't had the crashing problem. 

Same, but it does log me out from time to time, while showing I'm logged in. 
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    I had similar complaints with the app in 2015--was forced to be a lurker on my board because it shut down constantly and always always deleted my posts if it took longer than 30seconds to write anything.  This time around though I haven't had any issues with my phone! So I've been pleasantly surprised 
  • I used the app in 2014/2015 with my first pregnancy, and now strictly app use again (from iPhone) and I have no issues either, to be honest. 
  • I use a mix of the website and the app. I much prefer the website.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• I use the website during week days and the app in the evening and on weekends. I prefer the website, but that is probably because I got used to the website version before trying out the app. My only complaints with the app are 1. It shows I'm logged in, but when I go to the community boards, I have to log out and log back in or it won't let me comment on anything. 2. Some things I post when I'm using the app doesn't show up on the website version. For example, I may insert a gif in my comment when using the app, and I can see it fine while using the app, but when I look on the actual website, my comment shows but the gif doesn't. Small stuff, but a little annoying. 

Me: 27 - DH: 33

Married: June 2011

TTC #1: January 2016

BFP #1: February 22nd 2016  MC w/ Misoprostol: March 21st 2016 -Blighted Ovum

BFP #2: July 6th 2016  EDD: March 15th 2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

M17 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• chrlyrchrlyr member
    I'm in a FB group with moms from my first BMB and we're still going strong almost 5 years later. If you try to get to know people, you will make connections. You just have to try. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use the app on an iphone and the website and I really have no issues =) except I hate how many ads there are.
    Me: 35      Hubs: 27
    Married: 07/04/13
    BFP #1: 8/14/14, Baby Girl born 4/16/15
    BFP #2: 6/21/16, Baby Girl born 2/11/17
    BFP #3: 1/26/19, EDD 10/8/19
    Fur Babies: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Piper and Mia)
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    The only thing currently that doesn't work on my phone is any links people post.
  • If you're looking to make friends on here, you need to invest more than just two questions. If someone posts two questions on here, I'm not going to remember them. If they start posting regularly and showing interest in other members and myself, I'll be interested in that person more, and be more likely to get to know them.

you could start with you ticker change day ladies. Start asking them about themselves. Read the UO threads or the food threads and comment. If you want to tag people to get their attention add @ and then their username. 

If you do all that, you'll be more likely to get asked to join a fb group later too.

its similar to real life, in my opinion. And I think it's worth it. 
    As I said before though I only posted two questions previously I was active.

I've been active on this board more or less.

This go round I comment on the fitness, weekend ticker, crying, birth plans and more. Heck I took the time to share out my personal information  and email and took the time to organize and share all of the hypnobabies resources from my last pregnancy. Ive commented on the multiples board and I'm not having multiples!! So while I'm not on every board every day. I believe this to be active.

So while yes to an extent I agree with you there's a return on time invested my comments were more about the fact that I don't feel like the app is incredibly user friendly.

Perhaps it's the fact that I work in the technical industry and there are so many easy fixes that could be made by the developers to make this app leaps and bounds better. Again as I said before I'm not the type to complain without offering a solution. I've got what I think is a great email drated to the developers. I really hope that I get so feedback from them.

Here are a few of the suggestions I have so far

- Mobile Display of the personal profile data is always distorted (see atttached image)
    - add the ability to hide threads
    - instead of only receiving a pop up when the app is open for notifications make the notifications a part of the phone notifications (like facbook- I would like to see users have the ability to get more consistent notifications even when they are not using the app)
    - add ability to add more information to personal profiles (optional for users)
    - the app constantly "eats" half of long posts, GIFS or links people share. Multiple times I've written long posts and half of it is gone. I'm assuming this has something to do with the auto saving function. But several users have talked about it...obv very frustrating. 
    - star-ing or favorite-ing a thread seems to do nothing. Perhaps keep these at the top or make this configurable. Or add an ability for users to go to a folder to see their favorited boards.

- perhaps be able to sort your view of the threads

• Is anyone able to see things you are tagged in on the app? I use app only and I worry that i miss stuff because nothing ever pops up. 
  • @vino831 I totally agree with you! The terrible technical aspects of the app make it difficult for me to participate effectively - I end up getting so annoyed with it! I work in digital marketing, so I for sure feel your pain. Maybe we are just more sensitive to it, haha.
  • I've never participated in ticker changes or symptoms threads and have been apart of the Facebook groups for my 2 other boards.  This app sucks android, but I just use the browser on my phone with no issue.
  • @vino831 I totally agree with you! The terrible technical aspects of the app make it difficult for me to participate effectively - I end up getting so annoyed with it! I work in digital marketing, so I for sure feel your pain. Maybe we are just more sensitive to it, haha.
    Thank you! I will 100% accept the fact that I'm being sensitive about it lol! I just would love to have the experiences that other mamas have had here but just find its been frustrating. I do have an android so I will check out the browser version. I'm still sending the email though... ;-D
  • MK1013 said:
    I can't open the spreadsheet and occasionally it won't allow me to go back to the main page, but I just have to exit out of the app then. Otherwise the app is alright. If I didn't struggle with awful headaches though I would use my computer and go on the actual website, I love seeing signatures! 
    This is definitely something I've noticed as well. Adding it to the list!! These developers are going to think I'm wacky! But if I were thethe owner I'd love thorough feedback (hopefully they will too!)
  • ladyoriza said:
    Is anyone able to see things you are tagged in on the app? I use app only and I worry that i miss stuff because nothing ever pops up. 
    Something else to add to the list! I've never seen anything I'm tagged in. What device are you using? Apple users do you get these notifications? 
  • I find that the notifications pop up sometimes when you are tagged. Or I just miss them when I log in. Normally I don't miss them either way because I check with threads I have commented on and have new comments. 
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    I see I'm tagged only if I'm using the app at the same time the tag happens 
  • Are we talking about the app itself and how it functions, or the community? It sounds like a mix of both. 
    If it's just the app you are unsatisfied with then I suggest using the browser if it is available to you. It seems easier to use. The app is great too but it tends to be a bit more finicky. 

If it's the community itself, then that is a whole different conversation....which, for the record, I feel is the best around. I have tried other boards (WTE, for example) and it's just a ton of random weird posts all day long. Sort of entertaining to read but no sense of community like here on TB. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • vino831 said:
    ladyoriza said:
    Is anyone able to see things you are tagged in on the app? I use app only and I worry that i miss stuff because nothing ever pops up. 
    Something else to add to the list! I've never seen anything I'm tagged in. What device are you using? Apple users do you get these notifications? 

Stuck in box:

I used Android now but just two weeks ago I had apple. I didn't see it then either. 
  • Are we talking about the app itself and how it functions, or the community? It sounds like a mix of both. 
    If it's just the app you are unsatisfied with then I suggest using the browser if it is available to you. It seems easier to use. The app is great too but it tends to be a bit more finicky. 

If it's the community itself, then that is a whole different conversation....which, for the record, I feel is the best around. I have tried other boards (WTE, for example) and it's just a ton of random weird posts all day long. Sort of entertaining to read but no sense of community like here on TB. 
    It's not the community  (at least from me) it's the app not being super conducive to interactions. 

I've been using the browser today vs the app and the refresh/autosave etc seems more fluid. But my comments are more than just thr glitches (which happen) it's also about the usability in general. (See my list above)
  • kjd291 said:
    I see I'm tagged only if I'm using the app at the same time the tag happens 
    That's right! That's the only time I've seen those notifications too!
  • vino831 said:
    Are we talking about the app itself and how it functions, or the community? It sounds like a mix of both. 

It's not the community  (at least from me) it's the app not being super conducive to interactions. 

I've been using the browser today vs the app and the refresh/autosave etc seems more fluid. But my comments are more than just thr glitches (which happen) it's also about the usability in general. (See my list above)
    The app itself. I am still part of the FB group which came from my BMB with my DD, albeit not as active as I used to be. No complaints about community here - just comments on app usability.
  • I think @ihateusernames* misunderstood you because I thought we were talking about the app too and not the actually community.
  • ahhh okay gotcha!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited July 2016
    vino831 said:
    Does anyone else hate it?

I have NO CLUE how you second time moms got connected with other moms using this app?!?!?

I used Tb with my son and I definitely got some invaluable support for the Two questions I posted but aside from that nothing...

I don't know how the usability could be improved but I know it can be... so I guess this is just a vent.
    How did I misunderstand? She's having difficulty forming community because of the app... 
    Most of the moms on here that stick it out and invest more time, have no problem... 
    It comes across as whiney to me. Like, I had no problem finding community, but I invested in other people and found out about their interests and such. and I see a lot of other girls on here who are doing the same thing. I'm learning their usernames and getting into what they like. Shout out to @chrlyr and @dubcompanion for being cool and all the other ladies on here that spend time doing spreadsheets and organizing weekly posts to build community especially @Scarlett830
  • Maybe I misunderstood then because I thought she just meant the app isn't user friendly which I agree. I also have had no issue making friends on here and am in 3 Facebook groups from previous bmbs 
  • I think she was specifically talking about the app version of TB and how it is hard to use. Like how other people commented that it crashes or logs them out. She said she was writing an email to improve usability. I don't think it was referring to the community part of TB. 
  • I think she was specifically talking about the app version of TB and how it is hard to use. Like how other people commented that it crashes or logs them out. She said she was writing an email to improve usability. I don't think it was referring to the community part of TB. 
    She literally said, "I have no clue how you second time moms got connected with other moms using this app" 

maybe the app sucks balls for her, but miraculously, other women have found ways to still get connected with each other.

I explained how I did it, and recommended that she try investing more time into other moms if she wants to get connected.

• The way that it pertains to the community for me: if you are one of those people who only has a few minutes a day to be able to catch up/join the convos, the crappy aspects of the app make you waste the majority of your time trying to figure out who responded where and etc. After a few months, it becomes highly annoying - number one reason why my first BMB started using FB earlier than we originally planned. For those of us in that situation (only having a few precious minutes to get to join in each day), especially if you're someone who works with websites/apps for a living, it is even more irritating.  These are very simple fixes and I agree with @vino831 on all points RE: the app.

I know folks are itching for some snark, as am I, but this isn't the post to do that on. Nothing snark-worthy up in here.