February 2017 Moms

Names

Re: Names

• @bdesterhouse thanks, I'll check it out! I love the name River bc I think of Doctor Who, Weezer and Firefly (in that order)-- all good things :-)
  • @Amber_Waves my first son's name is Titus. I always get lots of compliments.
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids keep goofy suggesting random names (some of which are objects) but earlier as we were watching Hotel Transylvania they said we should name our baby Mavis. I don't hate it.
    Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.

• My kids keep goofy suggesting random names (some of which are objects) but earlier as we were watching Hotel Transylvania they said we should name our baby Mavis. I don't hate it.
    I actually really like Mavis.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
    I actually really like Mavis.
    I ADORE Mavis but DH can't stand it and it breaks my heart. I saw it on the movie Young Adult with Charlize Theron, which isn't a character I want to name a kid after, but I loved how it was classic yet edgy. 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• DH won't talk girl names with me and it's really bugging me. He insists its a boy so won't entertain any girl names. I'm trying to let it go, but I've always been a name nerd from like, 6 years old I would use my allowance to buy baby name books in the check out at the grocery store. The thing is, it feels like another girl to me (not that it means anything, but I had strong feelings with my other two). Anyway, so pardon as I geek out over names on here that DH doesn't listen to. 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• I'm +1 for River. Husband doesn't hate it, and I've loved it forever for a girl. Thanks, Firefly. Buuut it doesn't go great with siblings Carter and Jack. Also, Kelly Clarkson used it pretty recently (a neutral point for me, but something to consider) @bdesterhouse @Gretchypoo

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Here is the list of baby girl names I made today while I was totally working... M/N would be Josephine, Joy, or Judea depending on what sounded better.
    • Mara
    • Tana (not sure if this is too 90's)
    • Lenore or Leona 
    • Sybil (love the nn Sibby)
    • Ingrid or Inga (love Inga more but think DH would like Ingrid more)
    • Anika
    • Reina/Reine I like the Reine spelling more, but US pronunciation changes it to 1 syllable to sound like Rain/"rhyne"
    • Alma
    • Jocelyn really like this name but I had a friend with a similar name (add an a to the end) in HS and not that I don't like her, I just don't want to think of her every time I say/write my baby's name
    • Circe- If I could pick a name today to say "this is it" it would be Circe, but DH is very luke-warm, actually more like melted ice cream about this name
    • Hilde- My number 2 choice right now, but don't like the association with Hillary
    • Abilene - Love the biblical roots-ish, don't want to go with nn Abby
    • Agnes - Adore this name, but see my comment about Circe
    • Sylvie/Sylvia- I like Sylvie, DH says that isn't a real name, but for some reason I really do not care for Sylvia
    • Sable- newly added to the list today... too trendy?
    • Fara/Farrah/whatever the proper spelling of this is, did Teen Mom ruin it?
    • Miri/Miriam- Same as Sylvie/Sylvia: I would go with Miri in a heartbeat, DH says its not a proper name and would want to do Miriam 

• @peachesnbean I really like Mara, Sybil, and Jocelyn.  Nice list!

H finally gave me two boy names to consider: Dominic and Myles.  I like either, but probably like Myles a bit better.  MN will be Paul.
  • bc42bc42 member
    edited July 2016
    @turtlemobile2 Gus is our front runner for a boy right now (short for Gustav - the first of my husband's family to immigrate to America) - everyone we've mentioned it to has loved it, but all said they would definitely call him Gus Gus like the mouse in Cinderella. lol. So I have to decide if we can live with that. 

Philippa is our favorite for a girl right now. She could go by Pippa if Philippa seems too formal for her as a LO, and my husband is dead set on calling her Phil around the house. lol.
  • @bcoon42 before I even finished reading your sentence I said awe Gus Gus. I think it's adorable, and he would even be able to go by Gustav if he didn't like being called Gus or Gus Gus when he's older.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love the name Jocelyn and would probably use it for a girl - except DH has a cousin named Jocelyn so it would be odd. 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • SweetTSweetT member
    My DD has a name that isn't very popular and I'd like to stick to that. We have 3 names that we like for girls and literally no boy names picked out. I'm just not drawn to boys names, the ones I like are pretty popular, so I just don't have fun thinking about them. 
    My choices for girls names I like:
    Tessa (I think this goes best with my DD's name, both 2 syllable "T" names and our last name is also a T. H isn't sold on it yet though) 
    Kennedy  (we'd call her Kenny after my dad. and it's a surname so it also matches with DD's)
    and 
    Leonia (after H's grandma who just passed, we'd probably call her Leo but not sure it goes with DD's name at all)

middle name choices are Therese (pronounced Ter-ez) Mae, or Marie  all family names. 

• Don't know the sex yet but ... 

Ezra if it's a boy 
    Aria if it's a girl 

(totally wasn't based off of PLL btw but somehow ended up with two names from the show ) 
  • I really want to name him Gus, but no one, NO ONE is on board with that so I haven't any clue where to go from there. :)
    I actually really liked Gus for a boy name but DH says no way. 
  • SweetT said:
    My DD has a name that isn't very popular and I'd like to stick to that. We have 3 names that we like for girls and literally no boy names picked out. I'm just not drawn to boys names, the ones I like are pretty popular, so I just don't have fun thinking about them. 
    Tessa (I think this goes best with my DD's name, both 2 syllable "T" names and our last name is also a T. H isn't sold on it yet though) 
    Kennedy  (we'd call her Kenny after my dad. and it's a surname so it also matches with DD's)
    and 
    Leonia (after H's grandma who just passed, we'd probably call her Leo but not sure it goes with DD's name at all)

middle name choices are Therese (pronounced Ter-ez) Mae, or Marie  all family names. 

Are you sure you aren't drawn to boy names?  Of the 3 girl names you listed the nickname you plan to use for 2 of them is more boy than girl (and one is even intentionally after your dad- a boy).   :)

Is it weird that I've never considered whether potential names go with the siblings?  

• MommaBeanMommaBean member
    edited July 2016

Is it weird that I've never considered whether potential names go with the siblings?  
    I don't consider whether they "go," but only whether they "go" too much. I think too similar is weird. DS's name ends in -on, so we wouldn't do a name with -on or -en. Too cutesy for me. 

Fun fact: I once taught identical twins named Chris and Christopher. And B/G twins named Daniel and Danielle. 
  • SweetTSweetT member
    SweetT said:
    and 

Are you sure you aren't drawn to boy names?  Of the 3 girl names you listed the nickname you plan to use for 2 of them is more boy than girl (and one is even intentionally after your dad- a boy).   :)

My nn is a boys name too.  I guess it does seem silly to say I don't like most boys names, but I don't like Kenneth or Leonard for boys so I wouldn't use them. I worded that wrong since I like more traditional boy names (David, Eli, Josh etc) I just don't have as much fun finding boys names. 
    I don't think it's weird to not think about how names go together, I don't search out names that go well with DD's but when I like a name I do think about how it goes with hers.  It's really not important that they go well but I wouldn't want them to sound too similar or be confusing together. 

• @peachesnbean I like Farrah too but didn't like it enough to outweigh other names we had picked. But unfortunately to me Farrah Abraham is who people will think about, with her controversial ways. I still personally think about Farrah Fawcett though the most!! It could be an age thing though where younger people think of teen mom instead of Charlie's angels lol. 

@MommaBean I used to be friends with identical twins girls named Mandy and Melanie.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    @peachesnbean I like Farrah too but didn't like it enough to outweigh other names we had picked. But unfortunately to me Farrah Abraham is who people will think about, with her controversial ways. I still personally think about Farrah Fawcett though the most!! It could be an age thing though where younger people think of teen mom instead of Charlie's angels lol. 

Yeah, it isn't my top choice  on that list, but DH isn't very agreeable to much of anything so it is one that would grow on me. Like I said, if I had my way right now it would be Circe. I feel like it fits our family and goes really well with our girls' spunky names. Nadia was on the list and I still like it but I feel like it isn't spunky enough. I like my girls' names as feminine and spunky. 

• MommaBean said:

I don't consider whether they "go," but only whether they "go" too much. I think too similar is weird. DS's name ends in -on, so we wouldn't do a name with -on or -en. Too cutesy for me. 

Fun fact: I once taught identical twins named Chris and Christopher. And B/G twins named Daniel and Danielle. 
    Ugh, for the last few years, I've had a family of boys whose names were all Christopher.  Three boys and their father.  All named Christopher.  They had a really common last name, too, so they were not the only Christopher [name]s we ever had.  It got REALLY bad when one of them stole a teacher's cell phone and wallet the year before last - dealing with the paperwork and the police was a nightmare.
  • bc42bc42 member
    @peachesnbean I really like Farrah! We actually just interviewed a day care provider whose name was Farrah and I definitely thought Fawcett, not Abraham (28 here, so *kind* of in the Teen Mom Demographic). Actually, Circe for me is the one with stronger connotations - definitely makes me think of Game of Thrones, even if its spelled differently. But it's a lovely name that certainly predates HBO. :)
  • SweetT said:
    and 

I love Tessa and wanted it but then my mom reminded me our close family friends had a dog named Tessa and it ruined it for me. I think it's still beautiful though!

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
  • jab3-2jab3-2 member
    I'm dead set on Tessa for a girl but haven't even mentioned names to DH yet. That's funny about the dog though bdesterhouse! 
  • Tessa has always been one of my favorites. I feel like every Tessa I know is beautiful and sweet. We are still looking for a biblical name though. With me being Sarah, My  DH Joseph and DS Peter I just feel like it's only right. 
    We have narrowed the list down to Eli, Samuel and Philip for boys. Leah, Rachel, Elizabeth (Ellie) for girls. We also like Evangeline (Eva). We have plenty of time but I can't stand not having somewhat of an idea what we are going with. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• @MrsLittleMac I love the name Declan- but DH said no.

Our DDs are Harper Kay and Stella Anne... Right now we have a pretty long list but my favorite for a girl is Lennon and Campbell (I think the mn will be Jane after MILs mn); and boys are Ford, Rhys, and Kingston- we are 99% sure that we're using DHs name for DS MN (Christopher) so I feel like the first name needs to be short.

• We haven't really discussed names too much yet but it seems like my fiancé likes more traditional names, unfortunately. For girls I like Mackenzie or maybe McKenna, I like Savannah but fiancé hates it so I'd consider Hannah, and Natalie. For boys I love Carter but fiancé hates it :(. I also like Sawyer, Logan, Luca, Carson.
  • @Sarah1253 what about Teresa and nn Tessa?
  • MommaBean said:
    @Sarah1253 what about Teresa and nn Tessa?
    thats a cute idea! I didn't think of that 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• @MonaLisaRalphio that's some George foreman shit right there 
  • I believe either way the name will be Alex. Either Alexis or Alexandria or a girl and Alexander for a boy. We haven't started to discuss middle names yet. 
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Ah23Ah23 member
    I too have been in love with the name Charlotte for as long as I can remember and am devistated it has become so popular! Apparently it's top 5 for the last couple of years :( it's the princess's fault! Haha
  • kswiger06 said:
    @peachesnbean I like Farrah too but didn't like it enough to outweigh other names we had picked. But unfortunately to me Farrah Abraham is who people will think about, with her controversial ways. I still personally think about Farrah Fawcett though the most!! It could be an age thing though where younger people think of teen mom instead of Charlie's angels lol. 

Yeah, it isn't my top choice  on that list, but DH isn't very agreeable to much of anything so it is one that would grow on me. Like I said, if I had my way right now it would be Circe. I feel like it fits our family and goes really well with our girls' spunky names. Nadia was on the list and I still like it but I feel like it isn't spunky enough. I like my girls' names as feminine and spunky. 
    I just got around to catching up on these... I think Nadia is a beautiful name. I don't think I've ever heard Circe before, how is it pronounced? Just looking at it my head says it like this--       (sir-ce?) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DD's middle name Clara may or may not have been inspired by Dr. Who. Her first name is Evelyn. We're team green and having a hard time coming up with names this time around. 
  • kswiger06 said:
    kswiger06 said:

I just got around to catching up on these... I think Nadia is a beautiful name. I don't think I've ever heard Circe before, how is it pronounced? Just looking at it my head says it like this--       (sir-ce?) 
    Yep! Sir-See. Like I said, I love Nadia but it doesn't have a lot of spunk IMO.

• catiecatpcatiecatp member
    edited August 2016
    To me Nadia is a name full of spunk - but that is because I have a niece named Nadia and oh boy is she a firecracker...

Edit - words missing...
    ---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Me: 33 & DH: 33
    Married: 07/2006
    TTC: 10/2015
    BFP #1: 11/2015, MC 12/2015 (7 weeks)
    BFP #2: 06/2016, EDD 2/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• kswiger06 said:
    kswiger06 said:

Yep! Sir-See. Like I said, I love Nadia but it doesn't have a lot of spunk IMO.
    I've never heard of Circe before. I keep randomly saying the boy name I like to husband. I'm hoping that it grows on him during these months, and if we have a boy, maybe he'll go with it lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I read the girls a book last night with a main character named Eliza. I think I'm in love with the name.
    Rachel, mama to Ava (6), Olivia (4), Nora (2), and baby#4 on the way.