July 2016 Moms

Newborn/Postpartum Thread

Re: Newborn/Postpartum Thread

• @Heathereaddy Still waiting for baby, but the second night in the hospital was our worst with DD as well. She wailed (unless nursing) for 9 hours straight without any sleep for me
    or her. DH was exhausted enough that he was able to tune it out for a very short nap until I woke him up because I was sobbing and needed support. At some point, a nurse tried to soothe her for about 45 minutes and then apologized and gave up. Velcro swaddlers at home really helped as well as being able to leave her with DH and retreat to another room since DD ended up being very colicky.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Heathereaddy I second everyone else!! Do not get down on yourself. It's happened to all of us. Seems to be typical of the transition in breast feeding. You aren't doing anything wrong!!! Each day will probably get better and better as you get into a routine!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @winnie1122 I used a nipple shield with DD#1 for the first week or two. and it takes a little while for your body to get used to breastfeeding- but it will! I used lanolin between each feed and tried to do a lot of open air/no shirt. And It took practice, but DD got used to latching without the shield. You are doing great!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I know my SIL used a nipple shield with her first for several months- she was able to transition to not using the nipple shield once her baby got bigger and stronger.
  • Anyone else considering EPing? BFing has had me super stressed out from the start. We just left the hospital yesterday afternoon on day 3 of life & my milk came in last night. I ended up pumping to relieve the pain of engorgement after Caden refused to have anything to do with the boob. When he woke up later we tried to feed again and he just wailed his little head off for 20 minutes until I offered him a bottle full of my breastmilk. We were both instantly happier and I am kind of feeling like EPing may be the best route for us to take. Seems like there are a lot of us having some mommy guilt related to BFing so I'm just curious if anyone else is having the same thoughts as me?
  • I Ep with my first LO after the first two months... it tech was easier for me but I wont lie its alot of work..washing everything over and over etc... you have to be faithful to the number of times you pump too.  Good luck!
  • @jjtruffles my sister in law EP for both her girls and LOVED it. I am bouncing between boob and bottle when needed like when we're not home (I'm not brave or coordinated enough to BF in public with a nipple shield and pillow). I definitely see the benefit of EPing and would like to move to that in another couple months. It sounds like that method works well for you and baby, go ahead and embrace it! 
  • @jjtruffles Id love to EP!! Personally, I'm not sure I could pump enough at this point to keep her satisfied but I'm doing all I can so we have the option of using bottles breast milk. Definitely super convenient and I like that then my husband can be involved in feeding time! Although I have a bit of the opposite problem in that she's most satisfied on the breast. Even breast milk in a bottle doesn't have the same effect as nursing does on her. I'm hoping she adjusts to liking either because I'd prefer more pumping!!! 
  • @Heathereaddy I second what everyone else said, the second night at the hospital was the worst!!! I had no milk at that point, zero zero zero, so we were actually giving her formula (as a preemie the doc didn’t want her to go without formula). Totally normal to have guilt thoughts pop up, but you don’t have to buy into them – you’re doing everything you need to do, this is a lucky baby!! My family is also thousands of miles away, so I know it’s tough not to have that support around, but it’s going to get easier/smoother, especially when you’ve been home for a little bit... 

@jjtruffles I’ve pretty much been EP’ing just because that’s what’s worked best so far… I still nurse at the breast once in a while (like once a day?) but she’s always hungry afterwards, it takes forever, my nipples/breasts are not cooperating (etc.), she gets really fussy… I still totally have guilt thoughts that “real” BFing would be better but I don’t think there’s any evidence to support that (basically whatever I do my brain goes “nope, not good enough”). I agree with @john5111 that it’s a ton of work, I’ve gotten obsessive about cleaning/washing my equipment after developing what looked like the beginning of mastitis (I’m even sterilizing my equipment after each use at this point, though I don’t sterilize other stuff). Not everyone is as susceptible to it though, but just a heads up in case anyone starts having symptoms! 

Thanks to you all ladies for the words of support about doing what’s best for all of us and giving ourselves credit for working hard to keep these babies happy and healthy J

• I'm going back and forth between pumping and breastfeeding.  I'm hoping the breastfeeding will get easier cuz that seems easier than pumping but we'll see how it goes.  People were not joking when they said breastfeeding is hard!
  • I'm exclusively pumping right now with pretty much no thoughts on getting her back on the breast. It was too stressful for both me and the baby. It's worked out well for us so far but my husband is also home with me to help out when I'm pumping so we will see how it is when he goes back to work next week
  • @Heathereaddy We just had our night two last night and it was the same with the exception we were at home. My husband had Rowan so I could get some sleep and Rowen just kept crying wanting to feed. So I would feed and hand him back and then a half hour later R would want to feed again. It was hard. We didn't know if we were doing something wrong or if his belly hurt or what it was. Eventually after 4 hours of this he slept for almost three hours. We had an appt with our ped today and she said that's totally normal and although it's hard and tiring....just keep feeding. 

Dont get down on yourself! Do whatever you need to do to get sleep and reenergized for your baby. 
  • That's awesome @Nzamorw !!! @MurphaLurph I definitely already feel like a slave to the pump... 
  • No baby here yet, but I was wondering are any of you using any apps on your phone that are particularly useful and/or fun?  I was thinking in particular ones that track feeding/output or serve as a sort of digital baby book.  Thanks!
  • @CarbAddict Baby Daytimer is useful for tracking. You can sync the info with your spouse and both input info. It helped with tracking feeding sides and how many diapers a day. It also tracked appointments, growth, all kinds of things. I used it for about a week and then no longer needed it but people rave about it. 
  • I use baby connect and absolutely love it! It was recommended to me by another group of moms who swear by it. 
  • @CarbAddict I have been using the Glow baby app. It's been really nice so far with tracking her diapers and feedings. I like that it shows me a chart so I can compare to the day before. 
  • I've been using good old fashioned pen and paper to track feedings and diaper changes.  :D 
  • @austinjl It's the only way I've survived so far, my nipples would be destroyed if it weren't for the shield! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • When nursing are you guys starting on the side you finished on the feeding before, or starting on the other side? I've read things that say both different ways are the "right way". I want to make sure he's getting some hind milk. 
  • @austinjl hurray! It was a life saver for us with E's immature latch. I swear its made it easier for him to take a bottle too. 
  • @stellaluna14 I usually start with whatever side he spent less time on the previous feeding. From what I read fore milk replenishes quickly enough that it's restocked from feeding to feeding, so you can do the same side twice during a feed and get more fat out but by the next feed it'll have reset. I figure I want the amount of time he spends on each side to be as even as possible to helps keep the sides evenly producing, so that's what I'm doing. 

• Shelby00519Shelby00519 member
    edited July 2016
    My baby just had a really bad runny nose, I tried getting most of it out with that blue thing. After I nursed him he spit up mucus and now sounds stuffy/raspy. Is this normal or should I be concerned? 
  • @austinjl I just discovered the nipple shield yesterday while nursing for the first time at the NICU. That thing is awesome! It really helped Maggie latch on and so far she seems to be able to go between that and a bottle fairly easy.

And I have a TW/WTF even though it's Friday. My mom decided to share an article on my FB page yesterday about a story where a dad had to take his newborn to the hospital. His baby died and had to be revived and they discovered the baby had RSV and pneumonia along with some other respiratory problems. Hello mother!!! My daughter is currently in the NICU for respiratory distress...don't you think you could have shared that story with me some other time. That was not the kind of story I wanted to read right now. My DH was pissed.

Me: 31  DH:35
    Started TTC in June 2014
    Started seeing RE in June 2015
    HSG in July 2015 = normal, started Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI cycle in August 2015
    Cycle #3 in October afforded 1st month of mature follicles - underwent IUI
    BFP on 10/27/15 - EDD 7/8/16
    DD#1 born on 7/1/16

TTC #2 in September 2018
    BFP on 12/2/18 - EDD 8/16/19
    Team Green!
  • @elenabrent thanks! That's basically what I've been doing but I keep reading conflicting info and then second guessing myself. 
  • For those of you that have been pumping to do some bottle feeding, how many ozs is your baby taking per feeding? Everything I read online said 2.5-3oz is normal for their size/age but we're finding that doesn't seem to cut it. She can definitely take the three and then usually wants a bit more!!! When I nurse, she practically insists on staying there until she can fall back asleep, too! 
  • @foxa319 I did read that somewhere and it completely slipped my mind. Thank you! I will be acquiring a couple of gallon ziploc bags the next time we go to the MIL's house and will try this out.
  • My right nipple and areola are swollen. Almost like engorgement but to the nipple. I cant pump or nurse. I pump, and get a drop or two but it hurts. My right breast is a freaking rock.
    Leftie is being good.

Any one else or any ideas?
  • @BecauseBabyIamAPug get yourself in a hot shower ASAP and try to hand express! While in there think of baby and see if you can cause a let down to help! sounds like your on your way to some clogged ducts and you need to get that milk outta there! Try to pump again when u get out to see if you are more successful! 
  • @BecauseBabyIamAPug hand express, grab your areola with your pointer and thumb and draw your skin back and then squeeze forward it should release. If nothing comes out Warm compress or hot shower, massage for a good ten minutes and then hand express again.