February 2017 Moms

Gear Opinions

13»

Re: Gear Opinions

• Changing the topic ^. No need to keep beating a dead horse 
  • There has been some great safety advice shared, and thank you to all those who did, but since I'd hate to see such a helpful thread closed for "change of topic" I'll try to change it back.  

Confessions of a FTM: I started a registry last night so I could keep track of all these good recommendations.  Don't worry, I won't tell anyone about it.  Also, I have spent all of my lunch breaks for the last week researching strollers and my head is totally spinning.  I want something lightweight, and we do walk a lot, but I am also hoping to baby wear most of the time if that works for the LO.  I want something plane and travel friendly, and that will take me from infancy through toddlerhood, but can't really see going much about $300 for a full travel system, even if it is a generous gift.  We're probably OAD and in my head that makes buying multiple strollers less of a good option.

Basically, I've shifted all of my first trimester worry tendencies to the basically inconsequential choice of which stroller to register for.  I'm a crazy person.  
  • Loading the player...
  • @Xstatic3333 I have fallen so hard down this stroller rabbit hole too! We also walk out dogs a ton, so I want a stroller for that but I don't want a dedicated jogger. Mainly because our house is small and there is no garage and where the hell will I keep 3 different strollers. Graco has a nice jogger hybrid travel system. SO MANY CHOICES. 
  • @Xstatic3333 I have fallen so hard down this stroller rabbit hole too! We also walk out dogs a ton, so I want a stroller for that but I don't want a dedicated jogger. Mainly because our house is small and there is no garage and where the hell will I keep 3 different strollers. Graco has a nice jogger hybrid travel system. SO MANY CHOICES. 
    Sounds like we have similar considerations. My initial impulse was Graco but I'm nervous about the quality. My friend swears by the Bob but I just can't go that high, and it's huge. I'm thinking I'll zero in on options like the City Mini or the Chicco travel system? May actually hit up Babies 'R Us after work. Again, crazy person. I did this same thing with my wedding invitations. All other decisions=easy. Invitations=slow descent into madness. 
    Sounds like we have similar considerations. My initial impulse was Graco but I'm nervous about the quality. My friend swears by the Bob but I just can't go that high, and it's huge. I'm thinking I'll zero in on options like the City Mini or the Chicco travel system? May actually hit up Babies 'R Us after work. Again, crazy person. I did this same thing with my wedding invitations. All other decisions=easy. Invitations=slow descent into madness. 
    @Xstatic3333 I love the city mini mostly for its awesome sun shade. The Chicco doesn't provide nearly as much protection. The sun shade is amazing so you don't HAVE to sunscreen up your baby every time you go outside because they are basically entirely shaded, where in a Chicco te shade likely only provides face shade of even that. 

I am also going to still plug for two strollers and say find a maclaren umbrella stroller that has a reclining seat. Ah-mazing for travel because it folds up so small, and the reclining seat is a must for naps on the go 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Xstatic3333 and @FerForShort - I've totally fallen down the stroller rabbit hole too!  I really don't want to buy more than one stroller, but I'm starting to wonder if that's an unrealistic expectation.  My husband and I do a lot of jogging/walking on trails that aren't really smooth surfaces, but I also don't want something that is going to take up my whole trunk space and be hard to navigate around in stores and such.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • @Xstatic3333  and @FerForShort we ended up with a heavier stroller/carrier combo that was awful for travel. Once the baby got bigger we switched over to an umbrella stroller. We no longer have any of our old baby gear so I've been considering a nicer umbrella stroller that reclines. I've read good reviews about the chicco lightway stroller. I saw @angeltennis3 mentioned not favoring the chicco but I'm not sure if its the exact same one or not. From seeing people reccomend the city mini I'll be checking that out too.

**I 'm planning on wearing baby this time around also. I've seen people with wraps and shawl type tops that hold baby, but what do you mom's reccomend. I never carried my other 2 in anything besides my arms but i think I'd like some free arms this time lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I made a registry too lol. It's secret on Amazon but every time I remember something, I add it. Last night we were looking at strollers. I personally never use them and will wear the baby, but DH wants a good one so whatever haha. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Xstatic3333 starting the registry is genius! I may do the same thing. 

You ladies are making me wonder why I haven't started looking at strollers yet... I think I fear the rabbit hole. I also want to buy just one, as we plan to baby wear as much as possible.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • I also have a registry with BabyList that's private.  You can categorize things - it's supposed to be for things like "toys" or "feeding supplies" but I've created my own categories: "things for real registry" and "things to research" 

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • @Xstatic3333 I started a "research" registry and have fallen down the rabbit hole, too.  I got really frustrated looking at all the different kinds of Pack 'n Plays yesterday, so I told my husband I was going to put him on Consumer Reports duty for all those big-ticket items.  He is much more analytical than I am (I would more than likely pick the cutest one I saw that didn't look like a death trap, and call it a day), and he was really excited to hear that he was going to be in charge of those decisions.
  • At one point, we had three strollers - a gifted pram (which we have since resold), a Bob, and an umbrella stroller. The umbrella stroller is perfect for public transport and travel. We got the one that reclines and last time we were at the airport, DD actually requested a nap in it while waiting for the next flight. For something from birth, though, I would try to find an option with a bassinet because they do recommend the babies to lay flat if possible.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• I am another team City Mini. We got the GT because DH thought the wheels looked cool (::eyeroll::), but I love that it lays flat and has an awesome sunshade. We paired that with the britax car seat because it was the cheaper conversion.

Just a heads up that when you buy these non-combo strollers, a lot of times you will need to get the conversion kit for whatever infant car seat you buy. 
  • We have the Chicco Urban and it had been really good. The canopy is huge unlike others. It does come in two pieces which is good and bad for storage purposes- it takes up the entire trunk of my Prius. It also came with the car seat adapter. The seat can unfold into a bassinet and can face forward or backward really easy. It's also pretty easy to drive. 
    We're currently deciding on getting a contours tandem specifically bc it had a lot of similarities to the Urban. 
  • I didn't need most of what many people loved. For the first few weeks I really liked baby nightgowns/bags. Not the blanket type, it was like a nightgown but a bag. They were incredibly easy for changing night time diapers and also easy on and off. They are kind of old fashioned and I had a hard time finding the ones I liked. (Couldn't find an example online)

I liked the Snap and Go stroller for the first while.

My glider is something I used from the day they were born until they were basically in school. (Nursing, lullabies, stories)

Most things I could have done without. I think so much depends on the individual baby and parent. My kids pretty much lived on the floor when they weren't being held. 
  • @ohstars Did the city mini still fold up well even with the car seat adapter? We are seriously leaning toward the GT so we can use it walking with our dogs, which isnt always on even terrain.  

• We have a Lazy Boy style recliner we bought while pregnant and I LOVE it. I pretty much lived in that thing while DD was a tit-monster. 
  • We have a Lazy Boy style recliner we bought while pregnant and I LOVE it. I pretty much lived in that thing while DD was a tit-monster. 
    I really wish we could splurge on a nicer glider. We have a cheap one (although it has held up quite well!) and I would love a new one. 
    I really wish we could splurge on a nicer glider. We have a cheap one (although it has held up quite well!) and I would love a new 

I always get stuck in the box when I quote you! 
    We got a great deal on an off brand floor model. Most big furniture places have a clearance room where they sell things off cheap. 
  • kswiger06 said:
    @Xstatic3333  and @FerForShort we ended up with a heavier stroller/carrier combo that was awful for travel. Once the baby got bigger we switched over to an umbrella stroller. We no longer have any of our old baby gear so I've been considering a nicer umbrella stroller that reclines. I've read good reviews about the chicco lightway stroller. I saw @angeltennis3 mentioned not favoring the chicco but I'm not sure if its the exact same one or not. From seeing people reccomend the city mini I'll be checking that out too.

**I 'm planning on wearing baby this time around also. I've seen people with wraps and shawl type tops that hold baby, but what do you mom's reccomend. I never carried my other 2 in anything besides my arms but i think I'd like some free arms this time lol
    @kswiger06 I have never used the Chicco umbrella strollers, so no experience there. I had a Chicco Cortina full sized stroller handed down to me and a city mini as a gift and hands down used the city mini every time. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @angeltennis3 I have no clue when it comes to strollers. With our first 2 my husband was eager to pick some of our baby items. I don't understand why, but he wanted Eddie Bauer everything lol... I never did a bit of research because his family bought what he wanted. I've seen lots of reccomendations for the city mini, I'll be looking into it :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ohstars Did the city mini still fold up well even with the car seat adapter? We are seriously leaning toward the GT so we can use it walking with our dogs, which isnt always on even terrain.  

With the britax adapter, yes. But from what I could tell, the Chicco adapter was significantly bigger and stuck out when folded up. I've actually been super lazy and even though DS is 2yo, I still have the adapters on because they just aren't in the way. 
  • Best: SwaddleMe sacks were a lifesaver! Rock N Play, Boppy pillow and Solly wrap/ergo. 

Worst: Swing (too bulky) and pack n play. Also- super cute newborn clothes...never used them as I was too lazy and my daughter lived in onesies the first two months. 

For mama- Witch Hazel pads during recovery combined with ice packs and depends adult diapers was a match made in heaven
  • City mini lovers: toddler worthy? Lightweight? 
    I just used my city mini at a farm park today,  both my 5 year old and the 7 year olds fit if needed and it's easy to push.  We mostly take it now when I have crap I don't want to carry like cooler, 4 water bottles and my camera.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for all these suggestions! Looks like I have a lot of research to do 

• Sarah1253Sarah1253 member
    edited June 2016
    Loved- Baby swing, Swaddle blankets, Car seat/ stroller combo, Pack and play (Our Son slept in our room in the pack and play for months) 

Things I didn't use- Changing Table, Boppy, Bottle warmer, Diaper Genie
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• Ok now that I have read more.  Mom of 3 with recommendations. 

First thing for everyone debating strollers.   Look for a snap and go.   If you can find one used,  even better.   It is basically a stroller frame that is perfect for quick trips in to the store, doctors office, etc.   For any other longer trips like the zoo, long walks,  etc,  get a good stroller with bigger wheels.   I love my city mini with my youngest,  I had a double bumbleride that was the absolute bomb with my twins. 

For any twin mom's,  yes,  you want a double snap and go. It will be a lifesaver and doesn't take up valuable trunk space.   Get the best double you can afford, seriously mine was a godsend that I could push one handed.   Side by sides were better than back and front.   

Other stuff I loved,  Aiden and Anise swaddle blankets, the swing,  a baby carrier, wipes warmer for cloth wipes, wet bags (for cloth diapers,  but also for wet or messy clothes that needed changed they were perfect), sleeper sacks,  car blankets and baby hats. 

Changing pad on dresser,  pack and play if baby will be visiting relatives where you need to sleep or nap, garage sale toys when they are older.  Boppy pillow for nursing and then supported sitting,  but if you have a troublesome nurser, the my breast friend pillow is great.   

Hospital stuff has been covered,  but I want to emphasize again to ask for the lactation consultant if you want to breastfeed.   And then if things aren't going well,  find a support group.  

Things we didn't really need:  baby mitts, bottle warmer,  diaper stacker,  bassinet.  We skipped the travel system.  

I am still very nervous about this pregnancy, but I hope to be here to answer any questions for the next 8-9 months,  lol 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You guys are awesome with all of these suggestions. Now I get to make lists and compare things. I love making lists and comparing things!! 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • STM+, does anyone have experience with IKEA cribs? We don't need a convertible since all my nice childhood furniture is at the ready in my basement right now, but I also don't want something that's total crap, of course. Our experiences with adult IKEA furniture have been pretty positive, with the understanding that the cheapest versions of everything just won't last that long. 
  • Best gear: Wrap or Ergo baby carrier when they are little. Board Books with pictures of kids/faces later on.

Useless gear: Clothes in sizes smaller than 6-12months.. They spend most of their time in onesies/wondersuits and leggings and cotton tops as newborns because it's comfy and they sleep half the time. The little clothes are more fun 6 months onwards.

Advice: Everything is a phase. Repeat "this too shall pass.." Just keep going, it's just a phase. Also, what they need and what is wrong is an ever moving target. If you work it out make sure you stop and enjoy the calm because it will change again and you just have to keep adapting. It's not as bad or as horrible as it sounds, but it's ALL about perspective. Lack of sleep kills perspective, but keep your chin up and keep going. One hour, one day, one week at a time. The good moments are SO good and when they are asleep all you remember are those beautiful moments. The hard stuff just washes away.
  • CherryBananasCherryBananas member
    edited July 2016
    Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm generally a pretty bad sleeper and have a hard time sleeping on my side. This looks like the most comfortable thing in the world though! DH said he'd be fine with less room in bed if it means a better sleep for me, I'm just not sure if it's worth the price.

• angeltennis3angeltennis3 member
    edited July 2016
    @cherrybananas I have the snoogle which doesn't quite wrap all the way around like that, but it definitely helps. I like that the snoogle doesn't go all the way around otherwise it's kind of hard to get out of in the middle of the night for bathroom breaks. 

But it here is a way cheaper version that looks identical to what you have at Walmart....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/13360480?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228000318442&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40341403352&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78299012432&veh=sem

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @angeltennis3 thank you! I never think to check Walmart when I'm doing online shopping. 

• - Favorite piece of baby gear from a previous child.

loved my Becco Gemini carrier. My son still loves sitting in it. 

- Most useless piece of baby gear from a previous child.
    Wipe warmer and bottle maker. My son was adopted so I thought a bottle maker would help with those sleepy midnight feelings. WASTE of money. It smelled so bad like a machine shop and you couldn't clean it. Used it once. 
    - One other recommendation you have from your experience, gear related or not.
    Sound machine. Drones out the chaos happening outside of his nursery
  • @CherryBananas I think that looks great! I never used the Snoogle, just a body pillow.  The only part I hated was that when I wanted to turn over, I'd have to drag the pillow over with me and it was annoying.

So this looks like it'd be perfect! 

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex I hope it's as comfy as it looks, and i'm glad to hear the pillows have worked for others. Anything to help me get a better sleep at this point.