February 2017 Moms

Gear Opinions

Calling all STMs+!

Right now, we are mostly all in that anxious waiting phase, first appointments, ultrasounds, or general first tri weirdness. To get our minds off things and think about the future for a bit, tell us:

- Favorite piece of baby gear from a previous child.

- Most useless piece of baby gear from a previous child.

- One other recommendation you have from your experience, gear related or not.

Share your wisdom with us!

Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!

Re: Gear Opinions

• In my experience.....
    useless- bassinet! My son hated being flat for a long time. The Rock and Play was the best thing ever for us. 

• Best gear is any kind of wrap so you can wear your baby and still get things done! Worst would have been wipe warmer but I may change my tune with a winter baby! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Favorites: Rock and Play, Bouncer, invest in a nice stroller, Sarah bear diaper caddy

Useless: Swing - they are so big and take up so much floor space, some babies love them but I would wait to buy til you decide if you need it. 

Pack'n'Play - we use ours only when we travel. We bought it for $15 at a garage sale. I am glad we didn't spend more money than that. 

Wipes warmer, changing table

Other: Look for local consignment sales in your area. My city usually has a fall and spring one. You can get tons of baby gear in great shape for next to nothing. Don't waste money buying anything new that you don't get from a shower - it's amazing how quick they grow out of it. 

Also, I wouldn't splurge a ton on a convertible crib. Even with a teething protector on it my DD managed to beaver her way to the wood. 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh yes, changing table! I think I used it once? This baby definitely won't have one :smile:
  • Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited June 2016
    FTM here but the whole wipe warmer thing totally confuses me. I didn't really know it was a "thing" before TB, and when I worked in daycares with babies as young as 6 weeks we never used them. What's the rationale? Do some babies fuss more if the wipes are cold or something? Probably not on my list anyway, just curious. 
  • - Favorite piece of baby gear: I don't know about favorite, but the most-used piece of equipment, hands-down, was our ergo. We moved countries when DD was 5 weeks old, so that thing got a ton of use from the start. We only recently upgraded to the toddler tula. DD still requests to get put in it when she's having an off day and is feeling particularly clingy but I have shit to do.

- Most useless piece of baby gear from a previous child. I bought so much crap *hangs head in shame* But I think one of the few things we didn't even use ONCE was the shopping cart cover. 

- One other recommendation you have from your experience: I was frustrated at communicating with DD in a way that worked for both of us. And then I discovered Janet Lansbury's podcast. Eye-opening. 
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• BEST: City Minister GT stroller.  Great for tall parents and one handed folding mechanism. Ubbi diaper pail. It's metal and thus doesn't hold a smell and you can use any garbage bag. Zippered onesies over snaps. 

USELESS: Bottle warmer.$75 waste.   I found that using a big glass measuring cup with water from the Keurig worked much faster. 

OTHER TIPS: bedside lights on dimmers.
  • Sorry City Mini stroller
  • angeltennis3angeltennis3 member
    edited June 2016
    BEST: City Minister GT stroller.  Great for tall parents and one handed folding mechanism. Ubbi diaper pail. It's metal and thus doesn't hold a smell and you can use any garbage bag. Zippered onesies over snaps. 

USELESS: Bottle warmer.$75 waste.   I found that using a big glass measuring cup with water from the Keurig worked much faster. 

OTHER TIPS: bedside lights on dimmers.
    I loved snaps until DD was out of the swaddle. With snaps, I was able to I unswaddle from the waist down (we used the miracle blanket - another must have now that I think on it) and that way I could change her diaper without full unswaddling in the middle of the night. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • FTM here but the whole wipe warmer thing totally confuses me. I didn't really know it was a "thing" before TB, and when I worked in daycares with babies as young as 6 weeks we never used them. What's the rationale? Do some babies fuss more if the wipes are cold or something? Probably not on my list anyway, just curious. 
    My kid had a fit every change until we got one. 
    She hated the cold against her. 
    If we were out I just stuck it under my boob for a few. 
  • Love: 
    *Aiden and Anais muslin blankets. We used them for swaddles, car seat covers, breastfeeding privacy etc. 
    *Buckle carrier and ringsling. 
    I didn't get the hang of wrapping but will try this time. 
    *Snap n Go stroller. 
    *Nose Frida. That thing is amazeballs. 
    Waste: 
    *bumpers. By the time she slept in her crib she was rolling and I had to take them out. I won't buy a crib set again. 
    *swing. Expensive, waste of space. 

• FTM here but the whole wipe warmer thing totally confuses me. I didn't really know it was a "thing" before TB, and when I worked in daycares with babies as young as 6 weeks we never used them. What's the rationale? Do some babies fuss more if the wipes are cold or something? Probably not on my list anyway, just curious. 
    My kid had a fit every change until we got one. 
    She hated the cold against her. 
    If we were out I just stuck it under my boob for a few. 
    Gotcha. Sounds like an item with good baby-specific usefulness. At least they aren't too pricy for those that need them. 
  • Best: multiple taggie blankets, mamaroo, Chicco keyfit system (or something where the car seat locks into multiple bases and strollers), ergo, video monitor, and ubbi (use your own bags!)

Useless: wipe and bottle warmers (we didn't get any but we would have returned them), baby shoes (until she was walking), crib set (just get sheets and waterproof protectors), and cheap wraps/carriers (if you're going to do it, you want to be comfortable! Spend the money on a decent one)

I also agree on the convertible crib - by the time DD was old enough to have a big girl bed, we needed a crib for new baby anyways so it was cheaper just to buy a toddler day bed. 
  • I'm loving the tips! Keep 'em coming!

@MerryCakes5 makes a good point about height and strollers... I'm a super shorty; any other short mamas have stroller suggestions? 

I also was wondering the same thing about cribs. Just walking through BRU in the past, all of their cribs are very tall. Like,  some up to my armpits almost.... how am I supposed to get a baby out of there? Are any brands noticeably lower?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @WinchesterGirl most cribs have different level mattress heights so when you have a newborn, the mattress will be very high so easy to access the baby. We dropped dds crib down to the lowest level when she could sit up on her own. Unless you get an exceptionally tall crib you should be ok!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @WinchesterGirl I think the IKEA ones are lower
  • Favorite piece of baby gear from a previous child . My 7 year old son still uses his original Boppy pillow! I loved it for nursing and used it a lot on the floor with him.  All of my kids loved their bouncy chairs and Johnny jumpers. Dr browns bottles when I stopped nursing. 

- Most useless piece of baby gear from a previous child. Changing table.. Seriously buy a changing pad for your dresser. 

- One other recommendation you have from your experience, gear related or not. Invest in baby socks you will lose them everywhere! Use coconut oil instead of baby oil especially for cradle cap. 
  • Oh and clothes! Minimal is best for those first little sizes. My youngest was born 10lbs and never wore newborn. And hey grow so fast. We had drawers and drawers full of each baby size and I have handed down so many baby clothes with tags still on them because we just couldn't get all the clothes on the babies before they outgrew. Save that money for stocking bigger sizes. My 4 yr old was in 4T for almost a year. that's the sizes you want to splurge on!
  • Favorites: car seat/stroller combo for when they are really little... It was so nice just clicking the car seat out of the base and into the stroller and vice versa when running to the store, going out to eat etc. My most used item currently is our B.O.B jogging stroller. Wraps and carriers! Boppy- was on my lap for at least two months straight for nursing purposes. 

Worst- I'm not sure if anything was necessarily worthless to us but some things in certain categories won't work for you or your baby and you might find you wish you'd made a different choice. For me I wished I had gotten a different infant bathing apparatus and I also ended up with way too many swings and places to put baby that we barely ended up using.

things I will get for next baby: bassinet for our room... a ring sling, a comfy robe for those first few months, more nursing friendly clothing, a better nursing cover.

Shopping for baby can be so fun but also so overwhelming! 

• Best: breastfriend nursing pillow, click and go car seat/ atroller (I recommend a nice atroller also but the click and go is essential during the first year), a baby wrap, Aiden and Anais organic swaddled and something your baby likes being in at home (bouncer, swing, mama too, etc.). The tricky part is finding out what that "thing" is and not spending a fortune. If you have friends you can borrow from at the beginning, I recommend going that route before you invest. 

Overrated: I agree with the changing table ( we use a pad attached to a regular dresser), blankets (you will receive a ton and use maybe 2), video baby monitors, floor mats and Sophie the Giraffe 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Best: Hands-down couldn't live without: swaddle blankets and white noise machine.  It is the only way we could get DS to sleep for longer than 30 minutes at a time.  He still uses his white noise and sleeps like a dream.

Useless: changing table.  It's a waste of money, in my opinion.  Unless we wanted to change DS in his room every.single.time, which we weren't doing.  

Other suggestions: Boppy was great for me when I nursed DS.  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • I'm going to repeat the A&A muslin swaddle blankets. These were by far my favorite. They are the perfect swaddle, lightweight car seat blanket, sun blocker, and now they are DS's must-have nap and bedtime blankie.

Be be aware when crib shopping of your height. I'm 5'4'' and I pretty much had to drop a sleeping baby in the crib when I have it on the lowest setting because of my short t-rex arms. 

I went the route of a dresser + changing pad and was very happy with it. 

I also enjoyed having a PnP on the 1st floor with a napper and changing station when I was still recovering from my c-section. DS has allergies and sensitive skin, so for us it was great to have a dog and cat fur free zone to lay him down on. 
  • Best: my carriers. I had a carrier addiction but wore him constantly. Also those swaddleme baby straight jackets because I'm terrible at swaddling the Incredible Hulk. Pumpin pals flanges. I'm like a walking commercial for these things. It made pumping so much better. 

Worst:  mamaroo. He HATED it and it was so huge and expensive.  Honest diapers. They're so cute but they totally blow.  Medela milk bags. 

Random advice:  at the hospital they will ask you if you want to see a lactation consultant. 100% take this opportunity to help show you what a correct latch looks like. Going to breastfeeding classes does not prepare you for correcting a bad latch at all. 
  • Also, bring a small bag to the hospital when you deliver and load it up with everything that's in the portable bassinet thing.  They usually stock up each time they bring the baby to your room. 

Take it all!!
    This here is the best advice. Also ask for all the epifoam witch hazel pads and bed protectors they gave me a whole box full of this stuff and I used every piece except one epifoam. 
    For baby stuff
    I loved my beco carrier it has a cross back unlike the Tula and it saved my back during hikes and whatnot. 
    I never used our swing and bouncy seat or cart cover. Not once. Thankfully we got that stuff for free or at a second hand store (swing/bouncy seat was only $30!) so it wasn't a huge waste. 
    This baby I will be purchasing the Leaf seat. Partly for me haha it has an adult weight limit and I've sat in one before it's amazing and partly for both kids. Hopefully my first enjoys it too. I will also be getting some newborn cloth diapers.
  • Also, bring a small bag to the hospital when you deliver and load it up with everything that's in the portable bassinet thing.  They usually stock up each time they bring the baby to your room. 

Take it all!!
    Yessssss. After my c-section that mesh underwear was all I could wear. I asked for extras to take home with me and thank goodness they obliged because it was about 2 weeks before I was able to wear normal underwear.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • And yes to the boppy. 
    Although I used it more to sit on after delivery when I couldn't put pressure on my vag for weeks after delivery. 
  • best: nose frida, rock n play, carrier

waste: expensive bedding, changing table, pajamas with zippers (when you're sleep deprived it's a pain to match them up at night)

advice: dont beat yourself up over the way you feed your baby. If your set on nursing then meet with the LC in the hospital and know the pain gets better eventually. If you're leaning towards formula then know that its just as good. At the end of the day a fed baby is the best baby. 

Take it all!!
    Yessssss. After my c-section that mesh underwear was all I could wear. I asked for extras to take home with me and thank goodness they obliged because it was about 2 weeks before I was able to wear normal underwear.
    All of this. Steal all the granny panties. You will be thanking yourself later. 
  • Omg I blocked some of this stuff out!! Haha. Yes to the witch hazel pads and mesh underwear for sure... Take it allllllll
  • give me alllllllll the hazel pads and mesh undies!! Those things were the best. 
  • Favorite was Fisher Price jumperoo, least used Mamaroo (hoping this one will like it better).  Best advice.  Don't take too much of what you read on social media to heart.  Every mama does things a little different and every child is different.  Follow your gut and consult your doc before Dr Google.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree that every mom does things differently.  One of the best things you can do is save your money and wait and see.  

Here are my favorite baby items:
    Video Monitor (especially when they are a little older and you want to see whether they are getting out of bed)
    NoseFrida (husband and I laughed uncontrollably the first time we used it but it works SO much better than the bulb aspirations)
    Baby Jogger Citi Mini (I sold by expensive stroller to get one)
    Bouncy seat - one for next to the shower so you can take one with baby
    Onesies and pants, all day every day
    Aden & Anais Dream Blanket

Wastes:
    A lot of things that I researched to heck online but then just ended up not working for us
    For example, lots of different kinds of carriers.  
    Bottle warmer
    We turned our bassinet into a changing station
    Fancy baby clothes

Me: 1979 * Husband: 1976 * Little girl: 2010 * Little guy: 2013 * MMC: 2016 * Last baby: EDD 2/11/17!  
  • Best : my Tula by far. I love wearing my baby and it makes everything so much easier. I also got the infant insert this time so I'm hoping I can wear them from the beginning
    Worst or least used was the hundred blankets everyone knit for my daughter. There were so many of them and I honestly never used them. Her hands would get caught in them and it just didn't seem very practical.
  • SweetTSweetT member
    Bests: video monitor, doorway jumper, boppy pillow, the halo swaddles, Amber necklace. 
    Worsts: we had so many baby containment things we never used. This time I will probably have have a swing and bouncer chair out and that's it. 

• City mini lovers: toddler worthy? Lightweight? 
  • - Favorite piece of baby gear from a previous child. -- My BOB.  I love this stroller for walking, I rarely run with it but it is such a smooth ride.

- Most useless piece of baby gear from a previous child. For us it was a swing, but we also concluded that it was the actual swing we had.  It had been handed down to 4 different kids and ALL of them hated that swing but my DD loved the one they had at school, but we didn't get one for our home after the fail we had.

- One other recommendation you have from your experience, gear related or not. As a few have mentioned I pack less for the hospital.. I WAY overpacked and felt a little crazy when we got there and moved to recovery.  Also I couldn't not have lived without my boppy, extra medela bottles for pumping, bouncer, and the Ka'Tan.
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• tishbtishb member
    Favorite: Ergobaby carrier
    Useless: Changing table
    Others: I love, love, love the baby gowns with the elastic bottoms! So awesome for diaper changes!!!
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited June 2016
    Also, bring a small bag to the hospital when you deliver and load it up with everything that's in the portable bassinet thing.  They usually stock up each time they bring the baby to your room. 

Take it all!!
    I didn't have a c-section but I loved those mesh panties. I wore them until I ran out. They don't look the cutest but they are so comfortable and you don't have to worry about ruining your own undies. 

Best equipment I feel is definitely the car seats that click into everything. Car seat base, stroller, shopping carts. Everything. I also liked our diaper genie for the nursery room. It kept the smell down and I didn't have to bring diapers downstairs every day. 

Useless equipment, I'd have to agree with the cart cover. I used ours a few times but it was more of a hassle hooking it on and taking it off than it was worth.

Best advice I have non equipment related though, is that if you cook your dinners, try preparing things you don't mind warming up, before you deliver. I never did this before but will this time. I'm going to have a few "main dishes" that I will freeze or can stay refrigerated for several days ready to go. Then when I get home all it will take is a crockpot or some reheating. It will help keep me from going crazy or always needing to order out. My husband isn't much of a cook lol

*edit
    Due to the many comments on putting the car seat on the shopping cart I decided to add more. I have seen a video and read an article on why it can be unsafe. I always made sure the seat was actually secure and I never just set the seat on top. I was completely safe doing it. I realize there are a lot of careless people out there so if anyone tries to hook the seat on a cart, please check and check again that their is no way, whatsoever that baby could be at risk of any injury.  Thank you for not continuing to add more comments on why it's unsafe as I understand now why you may possibly be against it :)
    Pregnancy Ticker