May 2016 Moms
Options

June Postpartum Weight/Body Check In

Re: June Postpartum Weight/Body Check In

• Options
    kbrands7 said:
    vinerie said:
    Question: Does a c-section mean you've automatically got a case of diatasis recto? Late in my pg, I asked my dr. And he said I did not have any separation, but then I had a c-section. So I'm not sure what I should be doing or not doing in terms of planks, etc., which I did a lot of pre-pg. 
    My understanding is yes since lower abs are separated during surgery. My doctor advised plank exercises but not crunches or sit ups. 
    If your DR is more than a 2, you shouldn't do planks either until it closes! If you google how to self-check for a diastasis you should be able to find some videos that show you how to assess how wide your separation is. If it is more than a 2 most people who specialize in pelvic floor/ TVA recommend avoiding all traditional ab work until your DR closes to a 2 or smaller. And I guess most OBs receive virtually no training in assessing or treating DR so they don't really have the most up to date info. 
  • Options
    Had a good week this week and managed to go to crossfit three times. Anything involving weights was difficult for me but cardio and body weight stuff was still manageable. Unfortunately, I won't be so lucky to have childcare next week beyond just one day.

My gym has told me I can bring my son, but I'm worried about the loud music. I've bought him some bandz but they are only good three months and older. I will try to put in some at home sessions instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My bellefit came today! Does anyone's ass NOT look ridiculous in this thing?
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    Nope. Looking ridiculous over here.
    I try not to wear it under tight hugging pants. Talk about panty lines and no ass. Also, the cute muffin top bra line...

Still holding hope that this will help me heal once I get rid of my excess fat. Wish it shrunk fat too :lol:
  • Options
    Yes to what pp said! It's so hard to wear any pants/skirt/dress over my bellefit because of the ridiculous panty lines/flat ass look it gives me. I do think it helped in the beginning but I've kind of stopped wearing it at this point (6 weeks postpartum)
  • Options
    @tgortney @babyfmama haha oh gosh same here! Okay thank you, I was feeling pretty blah about that so at least I know I'm not the only one!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I only wear mine at home because it's pretty hard to hide under clothes...especially that oh so pretty back fat!!
  • Options
    I started the 21 day fix today since my friend had the workouts vids for free. I'll have to make some modifications to avoid certain ab work but I'm excited to start something new. I did the first workout today and it was hard for me endurance-wise but I felt really great afterward!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I did (or should say tried to do) p90x ab ripper x yesterday. I got about half way through the 15 minute workout before my abs wouldn't do it anymore. Uphill battle ahead!
  • Options
    I'm going to be joining Lifetime Fitness, but they don't watch newborns until 3 months, which is good because I doubt I could convince myself to leave him there before then LOL. I'm at 6 weeks so have another month and a half before I can go to the gym. I just can't get motivated in my house. It's just not the right environment for me! I do so good with a gym to go to!! But if I wait another month and half to get going on my fitness I'm going to be off to a really bad start :-/ ugghh!!
  • Options
    BellodomaniBellodomani member
    edited June 2016
    Well, I am an idiot and signed my son up for swimming lessons starting next week without realizing that for 2 year olds you have to be in the water with them. Which means come Tuesday I am going to have to put on a swimsuit. And wear it in public. Plus, I only own bikinis, which means this weekend I'm gonna have to go to target and buy a mom swimsuit  :s I just want to go crawl under a rock somewhere. 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Well, I am an idiot and signed my son up for swimming lessons starting next week without realizing that for 2 year olds you have to be in the water with them. Which means come Tuesday I am going to have to put on a swimsuit. And wear it in public. Plus, I only own bikinis, which means this weekend I'm gonna have to go to target and buy a mom swimsuit  :s I just want to go crawl under a rock somewhere. 
    I promise no one will give it a second thought :) your son is lucky to have a mom who will do that with him! I've actually seen some off the shoulder cute ones lately, maybe you'll find something you like!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    There are so many one pieces that don't look like a mom suit! Target, Anthropologie, VS, Asos, lots of cute ones at Nordstrom. I've never had a one piece until this year and I found a bunch of cute ones that offer great support and don't look like a mom suit. Good luck and I think it's awesome you're doing swim lessons! 

• Options
    kami09kami09 member
    ^ I drool over the Anthropologie swimsuits!!!
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    Gotta plug jcrew for one piece suits! The Rouched strapless on is amazing!  It's on sale right now with an extra 40% off
    https://www.jcrew.com/p/womens_category/swim2/onepieces/ruched-bandeau-onepiece-swimsuit/B6818

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I have run 3 times in the last week and done a weight session. I weighed myself today, and I didn't even lose a pound. I then measured hoping maybe I lost some inches, and nothing. I guess it doesn't help that running on top of BF makes me want to eat everything in the house. 
  • Options
    missnc77 said:
    I have run 3 times in the last week and done a weight session. I weighed myself today, and I didn't even lose a pound. I then measured hoping maybe I lost some inches, and nothing. I guess it doesn't help that running on top of BF makes me want to eat everything in the house. 
    Yeah exercise doesn't really do much weight loss wise unless you do a ton. Nutrition is more important with respect to weight loss. I always think of exercise as being good for your health and for improving muscle tone. Without exercise I have chicken legs, a pancake butt and my mid section isn't tight. Exercise puts things back where they belong. 
  • Options
    What's everyone's workout routine like? What works for you? I prefer lifting. When I was my leanest about 5 years ago I was lifting and doing cardio. The last couple of years with my daughter having more of a social calendar my gym time was limited so I'd choose weights. I'm starting to run again, doing C25k to get back into it and incorporate lifting also. Trying to get to the gym 3x a week to run/lift. Then at home the other days I can do some exercises with my kettle bell and dumbbells along with walking. I can build muscle quickly but have a hard time losing weight. Hoping running more will do the trick.
  • Options
    What is everyone doing with LO while working out? How do you make that work?

Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    missnc77 said:
    Yeah exercise doesn't really do much weight loss wise unless you do a ton. Nutrition is more important with respect to weight loss. I always think of exercise as being good for your health and for improving muscle tone. Without exercise I have chicken legs, a pancake butt and my mid section isn't tight. Exercise puts things back where they belong. 
    Yes! Nutrition is so key for weight loss! The more I focus on eating properly, the better the results! Also, I truly believe that is the quality of food you eat and not just staying within a certain calorie range. Your body processes sugar calories much differently than whole food calories. Exercise is important but will only get you so far. 

• Options
    missnc77 said:
    Yes! Nutrition is so key for weight loss! The more I focus on eating properly, the better the results! Also, I truly believe that is the quality of food you eat and not just staying within a certain calorie range. Your body processes sugar calories much differently than whole food calories. Exercise is important but will only get you so far. 
    I agree with this 100% The only time I've had real luck in losing weight was when I've counted calories and really tried to limit sugar/refined carbs. 

• Options
    RE: Nutrition. 
    I totally agree. But I'm such a horrible eater. I felt like I use to work out just to eat. Now, I'm eating the same as I use to but haven't been able to work out as much. :(
  • Options
    Agreed 100% @txmamatobe

I think a problem both PP and for folks who used to be physically active (but currently are not) is that you get used to being able to eat a certain amount of calories each day while pregnant/working out tons. It's hard to dial that back again when you are not pregnant and are sedentary. 

I didn't have weight to lose PP and was fine gaining a few lbs back, particularly now that I'm exercising more and regaining muscle mass. However, I also know that I need to ditch the daily ice cream habit I adopted during pregnancy or the weight creep is going to keep happening. My body isn't growing a human anymore and, even though literature tells me otherwise, breastfeeding does not seem to burn as many calories as being pregnant did. 
  • Options
    Just did my first run with baby since I got pregnant. I had been warming up over the past few weeks with long speed walks but omg that was tough. It feels awesome to get back out there though. :)
  • Options
    vinerie said:

I do videos so I usually let him do tummy time right next to me. If he gets super fussy, I pick him up and go to low impact so I hold him and do squats and lunges. If my DH is home, I go running. 
  • Options
    vinerie said:

To go to the gym, I have to wait until DH gets home or if my mom will watch the kids. Otherwise I can workout at home while she naps or is hanging out in her bouncer. 
  • Options
    MsIanMsIan member
    vinerie said:

I workout at home. Right now I'm doing Cize and C25k. I do C25k in the mornings, while DH is still home and then Cize at night either when DH gets home or once I've put LO to bed. So basically, LO has to be sleeping when I workout. If he's not, he's confused as to why he's not in my arms and I have to pick him up or else the neighbors will think I'm killing him. 
  • Options
    MsIan said:
    vinerie said:

I workout at home. Right now I'm doing Cize and C25k. I do C25k in the mornings, while DH is still home and then Cize at night either when DH gets home or once I've put LO to bed. So basically, LO has to be sleeping when I workout. If he's not, he's confused as to why he's not in my arms and I have to pick him up or else the neighbors will think I'm killing him. 
    Yeah, this. I have yet to get through a single "10 minute arms" video, lol. Guess I have to wait for DH to get home, but then I want to interact with him! So tough to find the time!

• Options
    kami09kami09 member
    I go on walks with the kids everyday. I also started 22 Hard Corps this week (surprisingly it's not as hard as I thought it would be...& that's after a good 2 years of no working out). DH takes the kids on a walk or outside so I can get that short workout in and shower.

The best thing to happen to me is that DD has tummy issues when I eat dairy.  So I cut that out...which cut out all the ice cream and chocolate I had been eating. It just totally cleaned up my diet. & im now 5 pounds lighter than pre-pregnancy weight! 
  • Options
    bkjadebkjade member
    vinerie said:

Running if DH is home. 

If I can snag some time to myself whole LO is napping I'll do something from the Nike Training Club app. 
  • Options
    How are y'all dealing with the boobs while exercising? I feel like mine are huge and I don't think any of my old sports bras will fit anymore. I have been going on walks with LO but am hoping to get back into running soon. I'm scared for my boobs when that happens!
  • Options
    @CUtiger09 I haven't been cleared yet to exercise with this baby, but with my son I went from a 30C pre-pregnancy to a 32E while nursing so I had to buy new sports bras and actually wore two at a time in order to feel properly supported. I was training for a half marathon like 5 days a week when he was 6 months old so it was worth it to drop the cash on a few really good ones in the larger size. I've heard there are a few companies that make nursing sports bras now, but I don't know how high quality they are so I'm on the fence about buying one, but I could see it coming in handy. 
  • Options
    @CUtiger09 I haven't been cleared yet to exercise with this baby, but with my son I went from a 30C pre-pregnancy to a 32E while nursing so I had to buy new sports bras and actually wore two at a time in order to feel properly supported. I was training for a half marathon like 5 days a week when he was 6 months old so it was worth it to drop the cash on a few really good ones in the larger size. I've heard there are a few companies that make nursing sports bras now, but I don't know how high quality they are so I'm on the fence about buying one, but I could see it coming in handy. 
    I think I will have to just suck it up and spend money on some bigger sizes if I want to exercise. The ones I have now barely cover my nipples and that's not going to cut it. What brands do you get? I usually just buy the Champion brand from Target but I'm not sure how supportive those will be now. 
  • Options
    CUtiger09 said:
    I think I will have to just suck it up and spend money on some bigger sizes if I want to exercise. The ones I have now barely cover my nipples and that's not going to cut it. What brands do you get? I usually just buy the Champion brand from Target but I'm not sure how supportive those will be now. 
    I had to go out and buy new ones. I used to use the ones at Target. I got some under Armour ones I found at Dicks on the clearance rack surprisingly and those have been working pretty well. So they may be worth the cost for the support that's needed now.
  • Options
    @CUtiger09 I buy Nike ones- my brother works for them so I get 50% off which is nice because they're way too expensive. I think the largest on the website might be 32DD though... I know we have a few very large-breasted mamas on the board, so maybe someone will have more suggestions? 
  • Options
    @CUtiger09 shock absorber is the brand for bigger boobs (I was 32E/F prepregnancy)! That's what I've always used. 

My sports bras currently don't fit either and it's annoying as hell but I really don't want to spend the money on new ones because it's just fat. I want to use them as motivation to lose the weight. Which is crazy because if I could run id drop the weight faster. But anyway, shock absorber are great. 
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited July 2016
    @CUtiger09 not sure what size you'll need, but I got my sister size of 38DDD (measure at 36G right now) from Victoria Secret in their zip-up style which is convenient for nursing and very supportive.