July 2016 Moms
Options

UO 6/16

2»

Re: UO 6/16

• Options
    I'm all for funky hair, tattoos, and piercings, but my uo is I don't understand why people will get a tattoo of an anchor with the quote "refuse to sink" anchors sink, and hold you down.... I just Simply don't understand the meaning behind that one.. 
  • Options
    @LF93 yup. my mother and mother in law were the worst when it came to DS1 when he was an infant. I also think they have trouble remembering some of the stuff too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LF93LF93 member
    @rnyland1 It's crazy, if my mother had it her way, the baby would be eating solids at 2 months and surrounded by smokers because "it didn't harm us". My baby, my rules. I've already ruffled a few feathers by not agreeing with some of it! Ah well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    @givemepenguinss some do.  In my field most places are pretty lax about those kinds of things, but the last hospital I worked at (private practice) our boss cared very much.
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @LF93 one time I came home and my MIL was feeding my 5 month old DS1 gingersnap cookies and twizzlers....I was like WTF IS HAPPENING!!!!!???
  • Options
    My MIL was on the school board in DH's tiny hometown and when they decided to pass a rule that students couldn't dye their hair unnatural colors she died hers bright blue for the school board meeting (didn't work, they still passed the stupid rule, but she's a badass). 

Living in Northern CA all my life I can't think of a single job where anyone would care about things like dyed hair or peircings, sometimes I forget it's not like that everywhere. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    rnyland1 said:
    @LF93 one time I came home and my MIL was feeding my 5 month old DS1 gingersnap cookies and twizzlers....I was like WTF IS HAPPENING!!!!!???
    DH is totally against his parents (who are WONDERFUL and amazing people) watching the baby for us on a regular basis because they haven't cared for an infant in such a long time. I keep telling him he's crazy. But after reading these, maybe he's really onto something... haha
  • Options
    setoshsetosh member
    @summerbumpin when is route 1 not crazy?! Haha
  • Options
    @kellz14 We had a SIDS death in DH/my MIL's family and she still left stuff like soft toys in DD's crib when DD was very young and I repeatedly asked her not to. Drove us crazy.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    LF93LF93 member
    @kellz14 I'm all for allowing my mother to mind baby once in a while, seeing as she is the only grandparent, saying that though, she need's a big refresher course on how to care for a newborn. I think as long as there are certain rules in place, it should be fine. She know's I'd kick off if I found out she was doing something I didn't want done. 

@rnyland1 I know babies need different textures in their diet as they get older but come on, that's definitely a choking hazard, :open_mouth: Junk food is a big no no too, regardless of age. My younger brother would have a complete meltdown until he got chocolate because he was given it at a young age. My two youngest cousins barely eat proper food because they were always allowed sweet things instead. No freaking way!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    I don't care what people do to their hair, but I do look twice when it's a very unnatural color because it just doesn't look right to me. I've seen a few senior ladies with bright blue or purple and I find them weirdly fascinating.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @whataboutscience Yikes!! You'd think she would learn! Sorry to hear about SIDS in your H's fam :(

@LF93 Makes sense. I'll have to go with my H's suggestion of watching how they interact with the baby for a long time before allowing them alone...  MIL is awesome but she has a tendency to ignore advice you give her...
  • Options
    @LF93 well we were planning on delaying solids until about 6 months, come to find out MIL is feeding my kid cookies and candy. Plus a 5 MO could've choked on the candy. Basically she would do anything to make my son "be quiet." My son gained a huge amount of weight while in my MIL's care..
  • Options
    I don't care what people do to their hair, but I do look twice when it's a very unnatural color because it just doesn't look right to me. I've seen a few senior ladies with bright blue or purple and I find them weirdly fascinating.
    My sister's neighbor is older.. she must be 70 or so. She has a thick patch of bright purple in her otherwise all-over grey hair and works it like a boss.
  • Options
    @setosh You're right about that. I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands every single day. And yet my boss doesn't understand why I want to work from home in my 9th month of pregnancy, saying I might go over my due date and I'll be "climbing up the walls doing nothing at home" for so long. But this is also the guy who said "Thanks for telling us you're pregnant before waiting too long, so we didn't think you were just getting fat." So...yeah.
  • Options
    @brandiK I totally understand wanting something scheduled! I was kind of relieved to hear my midwife bring up induction at 39 weeks during my appt yesterday. It was kind of weird having an induction with DD and having everything to scheduled, but now that we have to plan for someone to watch DD while I'm the hospital with this LO, I'm all for something planned, but I will not be upset if I go into labor on my own as well!
  • Options
    @MDmomma1217 oh I definitely agree!
  • Options
    While on the subject of tattoos.. My UO: I hate tattoos that are anywhere that looks painful. Finger/foot/ribcage etc, basically anywhere that makes me cringe because of how painful it would be to me to have a tattoo done there. They can look super classy though! I just can't get over the eebie jeebies it gives me thinking of the pain.
  • Options
    I miss my crazy hair color. When I was accepted into a graduate program I dyed it a natural color. Totally kicking my self in the ass for not keeping it fun for a few more years. Now I teach college, and it is frowned upon. Thinking about going blue until I start back up in Janurary. 
    I go to a private college and the professors are all tatted with crazy colored hair. Maybe you should look into a liberal private college so you can rock your awesome hair. ;)
    That's awesome! Totally something to look into! 
  • Options
    I miss my tragus piercing. They made me take it out when I started nursing school
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @brandiK that hair is beautiful!

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Options
    @schaze your spine actually hurts pretty bad too. 

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Options
    @schaze I have both sides done. It is no joke. Though none of them really feel "good" lol. @thepen15ismighty I've heard the spine isn't fun at all. And I'm obsessed with that hair. Maybe I should treat myself before baby gets here. 
  • Options
    Additional late afternoon UO: I am super jealous of all the growth scans (although I know many of them are to monitor unusual/risky circumstances) and I have considered driving the hour north to WA where elective US are legal and paying for one. Even if it turns out to be way off. I haven't seen my LO since 19w and they didn't tell us any measurements or percentiles or anything at that appointment, just that there were no abnormalities. 
  • Options
    @erin7264 I feel the same way. Haven't seen baby since the anatomy scan which feels like ages ago!!! I think if I were to have begged my doc I maybe could have gotten her to write me up for another, but I didn't. I didn't realize some states had rules against paying private facilities to get them done though!!! That's nuts! 
  • Options
    sboston06 said:
    I miss my tragus piercing. They made me take it out when I started nursing school
    Same here, and my daith. I redid mine when I finish.

I will say that tatts and piercing I. The medical field tends to be frowned on. Especially in the South. 
    I am from out west,  and they were so much more accepting there.
  • Options
    @mandyjulie I definitely didn't mean to minimize the seriousness of necessary ones! I am grateful for a healthy baby and relatively uncomplicated pregnancy.

I've been going a little nuts with how hands off both the practices I've used have been and frankly it leaves me distrustful, like they may not even notice a new complication before its too late (like not doing a follow up urine culture until 31w for the UTI I had at 10w). I guess I could be more proactive but as a FTM sometimes you don't know what you don't know.